PDA

View Full Version : BIRD BOX

jeffingoff
07-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Today is either Bird Box launch day from Dark Regions or Amazon Prime Day. Whichever gets you more excited.

Sock Monkey
07-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Not an Amazon Prime guy so I guess I'll be more excited about Bird Box. I'm just waiting for Dark Regions to send me my gift certificate from their Kickstarter campaign. They said it should be this week. I hope the lettered holds out that long. Currently 16 copies left. Crossing those fingers...

Did you pull the trigger on Bird Box?

jeffingoff
07-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Did you pull the trigger on Bird Box?

Yeah. I snatched the numbered. I'm a little disappointed that there's no slipcase, but not too upset because the price is good for a small print run. I was going to get the lettered, but I couldn't stretch that far right now.

Sock Monkey
07-11-2017, 04:31 PM
I was surprised there wasn't a slipcase either. Probably DRP didn't think the price point with the slipcase would move the book, though that would put it in line with their limited of Off Season.

Congratulations on picking up the limited! The ONLY reason I'll be able to swing for a lettered (if it's still available) will because of the gift certificate. If not, it would--and might still be--a limited. I want to buy all kinds of lettered editions but my budget brings me back down to earth.

jeffingoff
07-11-2017, 05:16 PM
I was surprised there wasn't a slipcase either. Probably DRP didn't think the price point with the slipcase would move the book, though that would put it in line with their limited of Off Season.

Congratulations on picking up the limited! The ONLY reason I'll be able to swing for a lettered (if it's still available) will because of the gift certificate. If not, it would--and might still be--a limited. I want to buy all kinds of lettered editions but my budget brings me back down to earth.

I was guessing that maybe they didn't want the slipcase to add to the production time. DRP seems to be sensitive about making customers wait for their books. Didn't they start a policy about not charging customers for preorders from other publishers until they had the books in hand?

I went with the lettered for Off Season. And I'm trying not to regret passing on the lettered here. Trying. But yeah, the Earth just comes rushing up to crash my dreams.

I hope the lettered hold out until you can swing it. I honestly thought both editions would be sold out by now. I'm STILL shocked that there's a lettered remaining for Off Season. So it shows how much I know.

Sock Monkey
07-11-2017, 10:10 PM
Yeah, DRP did change their policy in regards to advance payment for other publishers' books. They do seem to be responsive to their customers, even when they take a misstep or two. The recent debacle regarding I Am the Abyss is a good example. I think it only took an hour or two for them to retract their modified plans for the book due to customer complaints.

I thought that Bird Box would be selling better as well. There is still 390 of the limited and 12 of the lettered left. Of course, most people are work and whatnot so I guess we'll see what the next couple of days bring. As far as why there is still a lettered Off Season available...I don't know. DRP isn't known for fancy lettered editions and the shift to traycased versus slipcased lettered editions is still relatively new for them. Maybe there is some hesitancy as far as quality? Maybe in resale value?

All I know is that I've also got an eye on that remaining Off Season lettered. We'll see if my plans for lettered domination come to fruition. :)

jeffingoff
07-11-2017, 10:21 PM
All I know is that I've also got an eye on that remaining Off Season lettered. We'll see if my plans for lettered domination come to fruition. :)

Damn, it would be SWEET to have both lettered editions! I hope those last 12 sell out before I do something foolish.

If both editions aren't gone by Friday, I'll be stunned.

Sock Monkey
07-11-2017, 10:27 PM
It's okay, you can do something foolish. We don't judge on this forum. :)

I wonder if the Launch Day offer is gone? The first seven customers that bought both editions got an original piece of artwork from the book. I'm not an art collector, but that's pretty cool.

I agree that I don't think both editions will hold out until next week. Come on, DRP, send me that gift certificate. I want to help you sell out of stuff! :)

jeffingoff
07-12-2017, 04:09 AM
It's okay, you can do something foolish. We don't judge on this forum. :)

I wonder if the Launch Day offer is gone? The first seven customers that bought both editions got an original piece of artwork from the book. I'm not an art collector, but that's pretty cool.

I agree that I don't think both editions will hold out until next week. Come on, DRP, send me that gift certificate. I want to help you sell out of stuff! :)

That is a pretty cool offer on the art piece. And if the book does well on the secondary market, you can recoup some of that cost by selling one of the editions. Though I'd think all seven have got to be gone by now.

In other news you and slayn666 got me to buy the Hodge book when I was trying to cool my buying. So thanks! :D

Sock Monkey
07-12-2017, 04:54 PM
In other news you and slayn666 got me to buy the Hodge book when I was trying to cool my buying. So thanks! :D

No problem! :)

RonClinton
07-12-2017, 05:14 PM
I thought that Bird Box would be selling better as well. There is still 390 of the limited and 12 of the lettered left. Of course, most people are work and whatnot so I guess we'll see what the next couple of days bring. As far as why there is still a lettered Off Season available...I don't know. DRP isn't known for fancy lettered editions and the shift to traycased versus slipcased lettered editions is still relatively new for them. Maybe there is some hesitancy as far as quality? Maybe in resale value?

I think the price point is too high; this should have been a $50 project. With still 385 copies left -- so five copies sold in one day, a day after launch -- it appears I'm not alone in that opinion. I was going to spring for a copy, but at $75 (and Chadbourne interior art, which seems really miscast for this project...*love* the cover art, though) I'll pass...at $75, I suspect it has nowhere to go but down on the secondary market, so I'll pick up a copy then, perhaps, once the market adjusts the price tag to where it should have been from the beginning.

Theli
07-12-2017, 05:18 PM
I agree $75 is a bit high. I haven't read the book, but was willing to give it a shot in the dark for a S/L, but not at $75. Especially without a slipcase, colour interiors, artist sigs, or leather binding. Feels a bit steep for a barebones production.

jeffingoff
07-12-2017, 05:36 PM
I agree $75 is a bit high. I haven't read the book, but was willing to give it a shot in the dark for a S/L, but not at $75. Especially without a slipcase, colour interiors, artist sigs, or leather binding. Feels a bit steep for a barebones production.

Interesting. I love getting a different perspective on these editions even if I don't entirely agree. When you consider that this book had considerable buzz when it was released and there's new content as well as the author's signature and only 500 copies, $75 doesn't seem that bad.

I do agree that at $50 it would be long gone. Anyone on the fence would have definitely been knocked off.

Everyone I know who has read this book has loved it. I've never read it, but I can't wait to get it.

Sock Monkey
07-12-2017, 06:31 PM

I can see where you and RonClinton are coming from. If I compared this to a what is offered by CD or other companies, I'd expect the price to be around $60. For example, Relic was oversized, clothbound, limited to 698 copies and was sold for $65. I was expecting the $75 price tag due to the similarities in production to Off Season.

Also, DRP tends to be on the higher end of the price scale to begin with. Giving another example, Dreams From the Witch House is oversized, leather-bound, slipcased, signed by the authors and limited to 200 copies...and priced at $200. I do wish they'd be more moderate in their pricing as I'd probably pick up Dreams if it was in the $125 range. (Side note: I almost did as they offered a bundle on their last Kickstarter for the deluxe editions of The Red Brain, Dreams From the Witch House, and Return of the Old Ones for $333, but decided against it because (a) I didn't like that Return was in a different trim size than the other two and (b) took them up on another offer and only so much money, you know?)

bookworm 1
07-13-2017, 01:11 AM
I loved this book . One of my favorite reads in a lo g time but I am passing due to the price also.

jeffingoff
07-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Well, I stand corrected. The sluggish sales seem to back up the idea that DRP is flying too close to the sun. DRP can't get 500 people to agree that $75 is a good price in the first three days when I thought it wouldn't last the first 12 hours.

I bow to the wisdom in this group!

Theli
07-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Sales are pretty slow, but it's not surprising for this book not to sell for a month or more. And I think that would still be a success. Very few S/Ls sell out within a week, even from well regarded and famous authors, much less a day or two.

Dan Hocker
07-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Well, I stand corrected. The sluggish sales seem to back up the idea that DRP is flying too close to the sun. DRP can't get 500 people to agree that $75 is a good price in the first three days when I thought it wouldn't last the first 12 hours.

I bow to the wisdom in this group!

DRP is a pretty small, small press (relatively speaking). It can take awhile to sell 500 copies of any book (at $75) that isn't by someone as famous / popular as Stephen King. Especially if you have a small customer base. They put out some good looking books though, I hope it sells well for them.

slayn666
07-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Yeah, DRP did change their policy in regards to advance payment for other publishers' books.

This must be a recent thing because they sure as hell took my money for two copies of The Shining last year :D.

jeffingoff
07-13-2017, 07:35 PM
This must be a recent thing because they sure as hell took my money for two copies of The Shining last year :D.

I actually think it was in response to the wait for the Shining.

And in other news: I SHOULD HAVE WAITED TO BUY BIRD BOX. I am a fool. A damn fool.

slayn666
07-14-2017, 03:51 PM
I actually think it was in response to the wait for the Shining.

I really have to wonder if their announcement today that you can only get one copy of other publisher's book with discount codes is because of my order of The Shining - I have a permanent discount code and used it when I ordered.

jeffingoff
07-14-2017, 04:59 PM
I really have to wonder if their announcement today that you can only get one copy of other publisher's book with discount codes is because of my order of The Shining - I have a permanent discount code and used it when I ordered.

You have a PERMANENT discount code?! What did you do, save someone's life over there? Hahahahaha. I'd say, knowing that, you are the likely suspect.

I have no kind of discount at DRP so nothing has changed for me!

slayn666
07-14-2017, 05:21 PM
They sent one to their newsletter subscribers some years ago - I think it was before Chris took over the press. It keeps getting reactivated through all the website changes, so I assume they intend for people to be able to use it.

saginawhorror
07-14-2017, 08:15 PM
I have a permanent 20% off code from joining their book club a few years back. Club ended long along but code never stopped working.

slayn666
07-14-2017, 08:18 PM
I have a permanent 20% off code from joining their book club a few years back. Club ended long along but code never stopped working.

Looking back at the email with my code, it's for the book club as well.

RonClinton
07-17-2017, 03:42 PM
I think the price point is too high; this should have been a $50 project. With still 385 copies left -- so five copies sold in one day, a day after launch -- it appears I'm not alone in that opinion. I was going to spring for a copy, but at $75 (and Chadbourne interior art, which seems really miscast for this project...*love* the cover art, though) I'll pass...at $75, I suspect it has nowhere to go but down on the secondary market, so I'll pick up a copy then, perhaps, once the market adjusts the price tag to where it should have been from the beginning.

I hate to be the one that said I-Told-You-So, but jeez louise, I just checked DR's site and a week after my above post there are still 375 copies left, so only ten sold in the last five days or so, or two copies per day. Kind of a shame, given the acclaim for this title. I wonder if that will give DR (and other publishers) pause to reconsider their pricing structure. For me, unless it's Centipede, where I feel the production values and the potential resale value exists (though who am I kidding, I'd never sell any of my Centipedes) to account for the higher price, or perhaps the King Gift Editions from CD, $50 is a pretty hard stop for me when it comes to new genre limited editions...anything beyond that needs to justify itself pretty profoundly or the cost-benefit ratio just doesn't quite work for me. There are always exceptions, of course, but everyone has to have some basic/default barometer, some red line, and $50 is mine.

jeffingoff
07-17-2017, 04:23 PM
I hate to be the one that said I-Told-You-So, but jeez louise . . .

You earned the right to this "I-Told-You-So." I guess I can chalk up the extra $25 I paid to the purchase of a Valuable Buying Lesson.

I was sure this Bird was going to fly.

slayn666
07-17-2017, 05:15 PM
The majority of the time, the only reason I buy a special edition book direct from a publisher is to keep a numbered/lettered set together. A lot of books just never sell out (or don't until deep discounts are offered), and even for the ones that do, the vast majority of those simply do not hold their value on the secondary market.

I want to be able to support publishers, but between rapid-fire releases from individual publishers, the number of publishers producing books I want, and the slow but steady rise in cost, something has to give, and it's usually my ability to buy a whole bunch of new books direct from their publishers.

Sock Monkey
07-18-2017, 06:16 PM

I doubt the policy change and the subsequent email was due to one order. I'm sure that they are numerous orders come through where this is occurring and since their profit margin on other publishers' books is probably quite a bit smaller than their own books, they needed to make a change to stay profitable in this area.

I remember the permanent code as well and I had received one myself. I probably have it filed away somewhere in my email, but I don't believe I ever used it once. I'm surprised they haven't deactivated the codes since the advent of their collector's club through Patreon.

Sock Monkey
07-18-2017, 06:22 PM
The majority of the time, the only reason I buy a special edition book direct from a publisher is to keep a numbered/lettered set together. A lot of books just never sell out (or don't until deep discounts are offered), and even for the ones that do, the vast majority of those simply do not hold their value on the secondary market.

I want to be able to support publishers, but between rapid-fire releases from individual publishers, the number of publishers producing books I want, and the slow but steady rise in cost, something has to give, and it's usually my ability to buy a whole bunch of new books direct from their publishers.

I've contemplated going the secondary market for certain publishers on a few occasions. CD is pretty fairly priced and with the CDCC coupons, I find most of their books to be reasonably priced. Thunderstorm is one I've contemplated going to the aftermarket, especially for the Black Voltage titles since they don't seem to hold their value. Other editions you have to order through them as they rarely--if ever--show up on the aftermarket like their lettered editions or the Diablos. I've scaled back on my Black Voltage buying and recently liquidated some of that collection, but the thought has crossed my mind that if I ever go back to that collection, that might be the route to go.

Ultimately, I like supporting the publishers directly. It's a small marketplace and these companies aren't making a fortune from the books. If I pay a little more occasionally, I'm okay with that. Especially considering the customer service from CD or Thunderstorm is so far beyond what you get from Ebay and the like.

Sock Monkey
07-18-2017, 06:32 PM
You earned the right to this "I-Told-You-So." I guess I can chalk up the extra $25 I paid to the purchase of a Valuable Buying Lesson.

I was sure this Bird was going to fly.

I'm also surprised that the book hasn't sold better, but I wonder if that's solely indicative of the pricing? Like Dan said previously, DRP is a smaller small press and maybe the word of mouth hasn't spread like it would with a CD or a Sub Press. They also have roughly 160 copies left of Off Season left as well and that's been available for preorder since October 2016. I would expect that to have sold quite a bit better as well considering the standing of Jack Ketchum and the book's place in horror literature. So obviously, what do I know? :)

All that being, this still has not diminished my desire to get my hands on one. If anybody is keeping track: there are only 3 lettered editions left and I still haven't received my gift certificate yet...

RonClinton
07-18-2017, 11:06 PM
I'm also surprised that the book hasn't sold better, but I wonder if that's solely indicative of the pricing?

As my above posts argue, I do think price is the issue...I don't really know what else to chalk up poor sales of this acclaimed book to, other than perhaps others like me who have grown very tired of Glenn Chadbourne's art (which particularly in this case seems miscast (much like the recent PS edition of Bradbury's SOMETHING THIS WAY COMES))...but I really think it is significantly more the former than the latter. It's why I didn't pre-order it...I can ignore the Chadbourne art (and dwell on that wonderful dj art), but I can't turn a blind eye to paying 33% more than I think I should.

Like Dan said previously, DRP is a smaller small press and maybe the word of mouth hasn't spread like it would with a CD or a Sub Press.

Except that both (or maybe it's just CD) have promoted the book in their email newsletters, touting the book as for sale through them and to, ahem, hurry before supply runs out. So CD's (and Sub's?) customers have been made aware of it and word has been spread...in fact, the title is even up on the Other Publishers pre-order page at CD:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/other-publishers-books-preorders.html

They also have roughly 160 copies left of Off Season left as well and that's been available for preorder since October 2016. I would expect that to have sold quite a bit better as well considering the standing of Jack Ketchum and the book's place in horror literature. So obviously, what do I know? :)

That one doesn't surprise me, either, though not because of price...it already had a S/L HC edition published earlier by Overlook Connection Press just, what, a decade or less earlier? Multiple S/L HC variants and all these Anniversary Editions may work for Stephen King (and perhaps Joe Hill, and even that is questionable, given the remaining stock of 20th CENTURY GHOSTS at PS Pub.), but for everyone else there is a finite demand, as evidenced by this DR Ketchum release and several of the Anniversary Editions from other publishers that from all appearances seem to be sales-challenged. I love Ketchum, but had no interest in a S/L HC of a title of which I already had a S/L HC. Completists are few and far between...again, only King has enough of those to justify multiple collectible editions of the same title...and even that balloon's probably going to burst someday as each new release from him seems to come out with an exponential number of variants (e.g. GWENDY'S BUTTON) and collectors tire of the chase.

Okay, that concludes my cynical rant of the day. ;)

Dan Hocker
07-19-2017, 03:11 PM
As my above posts argue, I do think price is the issue...I don't really know what else to chalk up poor sales of this acclaimed book to, other than perhaps others like me who have grown very tired of Glenn Chadbourne's art (which particularly in this case seems miscast (much like the recent PS edition of Bradbury's SOMETHING THIS WAY COMES))...but I really think it is significantly more the former than the latter. It's why I didn't pre-order it...I can ignore the Chadbourne art (and dwell on that wonderful dj art), but I can't turn a blind eye to paying 33% more than I think I should.

Except that both (or maybe it's just CD) have promoted the book in their email newsletters, touting the book as for sale through them and to, ahem, hurry before supply runs out. So CD's (and Sub's?) customers have been made aware of it and word has been spread...in fact, the title is even up on the Other Publishers pre-order page at CD:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/other-publishers-books-preorders.html

That one doesn't surprise me, either, though not because of price...it already had a S/L HC edition published earlier by Overlook Connection Press just, what, a decade or less earlier? Multiple S/L HC variants and all these Anniversary Editions may work for Stephen King (and perhaps Joe Hill, and even that is questionable, given the remaining stock of 20th CENTURY GHOSTS at PS Pub.), but for everyone else there is a finite demand, as evidenced by this DR Ketchum release and several of the Anniversary Editions from other publishers that from all appearances seem to be sales-challenged. I love Ketchum, but had no interest in a S/L HC of a title of which I already had a S/L HC. Completists are few and far between...again, only King has enough of those to justify multiple collectible editions of the same title...and even that balloon's probably going to burst someday as each new release from him seems to come out with an exponential number of variants (e.g. GWENDY'S BUTTON) and collectors tire of the chase.

For what it's worth their website probably doesn't reflect both our sales and Sub Press's sales.

Also about Gwendy, there really aren't any more variants for that than there are for basically any other King book. There a mass market THC and TPB, we have a Signed Limited and a Signed Lettered, SST is doing a Gift Editions, then there just the standard international releases of trade editions. It just seems like there are a lot of different releases because we're doing the Limited and Lettered and someone else is doing the Gift Edition, instead of one publisher doing all three versions.

Theli
07-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Dan, is there a UK edition other than the SST copy?

jeffingoff
07-19-2017, 03:33 PM

You make a lot of points that I agree with. For me, the big plus to both special editions of Bird Box and Off Season from DRP is the new content. I assumed fans of Malerman would want to get the new story in this edition. And DRP has included novellas/short stories from Ketchum as well. In my opinion, that validates a new edition. And the Art for Off Season looks spectacular.

Dan Hocker
07-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Dan, is there a UK edition other than the SST copy?

Yep. Looks like it was published on the 27th of June.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gwendys-Button-Box-Stephen-King/dp/1473672090/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500475386&sr=8-1&keywords=gwendy%27s+button+box

I know I've seen the covers for several European editions as well. Specifically the Greek and Polish editions.

RonClinton
07-19-2017, 05:33 PM
You make a lot of points that I agree with. For me, the big plus to both special editions of Bird Box and Off Season from DRP is the new content. I assumed fans of Malerman would want to get the new story in this edition. And DRP has included novellas/short stories from Ketchum as well. In my opinion, that validates a new edition. And the Art for Off Season looks spectacular.

Yes, extra content is always a good thing and appreciated by readers/collectors like you and me. Each buyer just needs to determine if those extras justify the expense of a whole new S/L volume or not. For me, because my budget and my shelf space are both finite, they rarely do...I'm typically satisfied with the S/L that came first. For those S/L volumes like BIRD BOX that are first on the collectible scene, so to speak, then they need to determine if the price is in line with other similar collectibles, and if not, then if the extras justify the extra expense. For me and in this particular case, the answer was no...but if I see it on eBay for $50 down the road, chances are good I'll snatch it up.

bugen
07-19-2017, 10:58 PM
If anybody is keeping track: there are only 3 lettered editions left and I still haven't received my gift certificate yet...

Hope you were able to pick this up. My GC just arrived today and I saw there was only one left.

Sock Monkey
07-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Yes, extra content is always a good thing and appreciated by readers/collectors like you and me. Each buyer just needs to determine if those extras justify the expense of a whole new S/L volume or not. For me, because my budget and my shelf space are both finite, they rarely do...I'm typically satisfied with the S/L that came first. For those S/L volumes like BIRD BOX that are first on the collectible scene, so to speak, then they need to determine if the price is in line with other similar collectibles, and if not, then if the extras justify the extra expense. For me and in this particular case, the answer was no...but if I see it on eBay for $50 down the road, chances are good I'll snatch it up.

Absolutely agree with you on these points. I don't know if I would get excited about a new edition of a S/L I already owned, especially if I was happy with the original. I personally don't feel the need to own multiple editions of the same book or accumulate variants and whatnot. Nothing against those that do, but like you said budget and space are finite (even if I don't want that to be the case!).

When it comes to pricing, perception about what is reasonable comes into play. Most people would balk at a $50 price tag for a book. I've had people be flabbergasted at the price of some of my books, like the $250 price tag for Summer of Night. Don't even ask me what my wife first said when I told her about the five hundred dollars I spent on the Ultra Deluxe Midnight Meat Train and that was a smoking price for that book. I think that I get used to seeing some crazy prices (Stephen King lettered editions, anyone?) and that can skew things a bit. I'm used to dropping $80 for a Thunderstorm book so the price tag for Bird Box didn't phase me in and of itself.

Great conversation, guys. I love hearing the different points of views and discussing the varying aspects of our hobby in a constructive manner!

Sock Monkey
07-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Hope you were able to pick this up. My GC just arrived today and I saw there was only one left.

My diabolical plan came to fruition! (cue maniacal laughter)

Okay, so it wasn't that dramatic, but I was doubting things would break my way.

I had the money saved up to be able to get both the lettered editions of Off Season and Bird Box, but then stumbled upon the Kickstarter perk of the Midnight Meat Train for $500 plus matching gift certificate. While that edition of the book had never really been on my radar due to the price tag, I saw this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and jumped on it, hoping that the lettered editions of the other two books would hold out long enough for the gift certificates to be dispersed. Luckily, the gift certificate came in the nick of time and I was able to snatch up both lettered editions.

In short, I was able to pick up the Ultra Deluxe Midnight Meat Train, and lettered editions of both Off Season and Bird Box for $550 plus shipping! Probably one of the best deals I've been able to swing ever! :D

jeffingoff
07-20-2017, 05:50 PM
In short, I was able to pick up the Ultra Deluxe Midnight Meat Train, and lettered editions of both Off Season and Bird Box for $550 plus shipping! Probably one of the best deals I've been able to swing ever! :D

YOU GOT SKILLS! That's amazing. I think you're our leader now.

Theli
07-20-2017, 08:19 PM

I had the money saved up to be able to get both the lettered editions of Off Season and Bird Box, but then stumbled upon the Kickstarter perk of the Midnight Meat Train for $500 plus matching gift certificate. While that edition of the book had never really been on my radar due to the price tag, I saw this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and jumped on it, hoping that the lettered editions of the other two books would hold out long enough for the gift certificates to be dispersed. Luckily, the gift certificate came in the nick of time and I was able to snatch up both lettered editions.

Good job brother! I can't wait to see your spoils!

Martin
07-20-2017, 09:28 PM

Great pickups, congratulations!

jeffingoff
07-20-2017, 09:33 PM

I'm sick. I saw that a lettered edition was suddenly available again after being sold out and I bought it. I just . . . bought it. Free will is an illusion.

Sock Monkey
07-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Thanks, guys! It was really just a bunch of luck and "right place at the right time". I'm happy that I took the gamble, though!

I'm sick. I saw that a lettered edition was suddenly available again after being sold out and I bought it. I just . . . bought it. Free will is an illusion.

It's okay. If anybody understands, it's us. Congratulations on snagging that lettered edition. I think you'll be happy in the long run.

RonClinton
07-20-2017, 11:12 PM
Congrats on the -- as American Pickers would say -- bundling deal!

https://i0.wp.com/isntthatgrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/bundle.jpg

Theli
07-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Did anyone get the Chadbourne original art pieces?

jeffingoff
07-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Did anyone get the Chadbourne original art pieces?

WELL, on launch day, I bought the numbered edition. Then as time went by, I kept watching the numbers until the lettered was sold out. Then a lettered became available again and it triggered something in me--some hunter/gatherer instinct--and I pulled the trigger and bought it too. So THEN I emailed Dark Regions and asked if they could either give me the final piece of Chadbourne art (since I bought both editions) or cancel my order for the numbered. Because I apparently need drama in my life.

I don't see why they wouldn't give me the Chadbourne art since I bought the last lettered and no one else can qualify for the special package deal.

Theli
07-21-2017, 03:40 PM
WELL, on launch day, I bought the numbered edition. Then as time went by, I kept watching the numbers until the lettered was sold out. Then a lettered became available again and it triggered something in me--some hunter/gatherer instinct--and I pulled the trigger and bought it too. So THEN I emailed Dark Regions and asked if they could either give me the final piece of Chadbourne art (since I bought both editions) or cancel my order for the numbered. Because I apparently need drama in my life.

I don't see why they wouldn't give me the Chadbourne art since I bought the last lettered and no one else can qualify for the special package deal.

Well I hope you got it, that would be mighty cool! Congrats on adding a the lettered edition to the collection either way.

jeffingoff
07-21-2017, 11:06 PM
Well I hope you got it, that would be mighty cool! Congrats on adding a the lettered edition to the collection either way.

I'm getting the Chadbourne art!

Sock Monkey
07-22-2017, 03:52 AM

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Martin
07-22-2017, 03:53 AM

Congratulations!

jeffingoff
08-01-2017, 02:25 AM
Got my original Chadbourne art!

https://instagram.com/p/BXO3ozwlXAx/

Sock Monkey
08-01-2017, 03:04 AM
That's really stinking cool! Congratulations!!!

Martin
08-01-2017, 04:18 AM
Nice art, congratulations!

jeffingoff
08-01-2017, 04:26 AM
Thanks! I was really happy with it. I thought it looked even better than the other examples of Chadbourne art they show on the website. I'll either frame it or keep it in the Bird Box tray case when I get it.

Theli
08-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Nice grab Jeff! You done good!

jeffingoff
08-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Nice grab Jeff! You done good!

Thank you! I'm glad I was able to snag it. So it's a win. Of course, it'll be a much better win if the value of the numbered and lettered go up on the secondary market. Though that's doubtful for the numbered.

RonClinton
11-03-2017, 04:08 PM
I hate to be the one that said I-Told-You-So, but jeez louise, I just checked DR's site and a week after my above post there are still 375 copies left, so only ten sold in the last five days or so, or two copies per day. Kind of a shame, given the acclaim for this title. I wonder if that will give DR (and other publishers) pause to reconsider their pricing structure. For me, unless it's Centipede, where I feel the production values and the potential resale value exists (though who am I kidding, I'd never sell any of my Centipedes) to account for the higher price, or perhaps the King Gift Editions from CD, $50 is a pretty hard stop for me when it comes to new genre limited editions...anything beyond that needs to justify itself pretty profoundly or the cost-benefit ratio just doesn't quite work for me. There are always exceptions, of course, but everyone has to have some basic/default barometer, some red line, and $50 is mine.

More than three months after this 7/17 post, and there are still 359 copies left, so that's just 16 copies sold in that three-month period. I was a little skeptical about the volume's sales potential at its $75 price point, but even I didn't think it would be selling this slow. I would chalk it up to Malerman's lack of popularity of visibility or ?? among genre fans who collect limiteds, but Earthling seems to be doing okay with the S/L of Goblin (think I saw it was 90% sold out...?) with I believe a similar copy limitation, so I'm puzzled why the contrast between the two projects. Is it price ($50 GOBLIN vs. $75 BIRD BOX) or is it more than that?

Theli
11-03-2017, 04:13 PM
I think price is a major reason for that, I also believe, though I could be wrong here, that maybe the Earthling has more good faith with customers and a more die-hard fan base.

jeffingoff
11-03-2017, 04:46 PM
More than three months after this 7/17 post, and there are still 359 copies left, so that's just 16 copies sold in that three-month period. I was a little skeptical about the volume's sales potential at its $75 price point, but even I didn't think it would be selling this slow. I would chalk it up to Malerman's lack of popularity of visibility or ?? among genre fans who collect limiteds, but Earthling seems to be doing okay with the S/L of Goblin (think I saw it was 90% sold out...?) with I believe a similar copy limitation, so I'm puzzled why the contrast between the two projects. Is it price ($50 GOBLIN vs. $75 BIRD BOX) or is it more than that?

Here's what I think with a numbered list and everything:
1. BIRD BOX was a huge hit and the market was saturated with copies and all the casual readers who wanted to read a buzzy author read it and moved on to the next buzzy author
2. Josh Malerman isn't "established" as an author deserving of the limited treatment buy the people who collect limited editions--maybe they see him as a buzzy flash in the pan
3. This is a first release of GOBLIN so there are no copies (other than the ARCS) floating around. Over 400 of the (thousands? millions?) casual readers who read BIRD BOX and follow Malerman decided this he is worthy of this purchase (they're right!).
4. The price difference makes GOBLIN an easier purchase--cheaper and never before read

BUT STILL--I am floored that DRP can't move this book. It has a NEW BIRD BOX story, stunning cover art, badass interior art, and it's signed by Malerman. I guess it's possible that when Malerman's career goes bonkers (apparently he's written something like 14-27 novels that he plans on publishing) people will look back on these editions and gobble them up. It's also possible that I'm insane.

jeffingoff
11-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Sorry for the garbage typos in my post.

RonClinton
11-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Here's what I think with a numbered list and everything:
1. BIRD BOX was a huge hit and the market was saturated with copies and all the casual readers who wanted to read a buzzy author read it and moved on to the next buzzy author
2. Josh Malerman isn't "established" as an author deserving of the limited treatment buy the people who collect limited editions--maybe they see him as a buzzy flash in the pan

Well-conceived theory, Jeff -- and I think those two points are probably particularly apt. Sometimes I forget we S/L buyers are a fraction of the readership who buy horror...who are a fraction of people who buy fantastical fiction...who are a fraction of people who buy genre fiction...who are a fraction of people who buy books...who are a fraction of the consumer marketplace. Still, sometimes having a popular trade release can translate into S/L demand...but that doesn't appear to have happened this time around, and your #2 point may suggest why.

Theli
11-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Well put, both of you.

mhatchett
11-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Plus, wasn't it part of the Halloween series for Earthling?? That could push sales as well.

jeffingoff
11-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Plus, wasn't it part of the Halloween series for Earthling?? That could push sales as well.

Yeah, that's true too. I'm sure that there were some automatic sales by completists trying to keep their matching numbers--no matter who the author was.

Brian861
11-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Yeah, that's true too. I'm sure that there were some automatic sales by completists trying to keep their matching numbers--no matter who the author was.

I'm still trying to fathom that Jeff may be insane! :confused: So should we jump on this book in case this guy is the next King? Or maybe pick it up when it goes on sale due to the slow sales :)

jeffingoff
11-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Well-conceived theory, Jeff -- and I think those two points are probably particularly apt. Sometimes I forget we S/L buyers are a fraction of the readership who buy horror...who are a fraction of people who buy fantastical fiction...who are a fraction of people who buy genre fiction...who are a fraction of people who buy books...who are a fraction of the consumer marketplace. Still, sometimes having a popular trade release can translate into S/L demand...but that doesn't appear to have happened this time around, and your #2 point may suggest why.

But I am also wondering if Dark Regions is struggling. They also didn't sell out of their limited edition of OFF SEASON with a bunch of new content. Well, officially, they did sell it out--but only after taking about 150 copies out of preorder. It's more like their print run for the limited was 350 instead of 500. I remember when the number available for preorder dropped by 150 overnight after holding steady for months. There's someone on eBay selling a PC limited who states that the print run was 300 with a bunch of "overruns" resulting in the PC edition up for auction. I wonder who the seller was and how the seller came about that number.

Do people not know DRP exists? Is DRP overpriced? Is DRP betting on the wrong authors? Why is no one biting?

jeffingoff
11-03-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm still trying to fathom that Jeff may be insane! :confused: So should we jump on this book in case this guy is the next King? Or maybe pick it up when it goes on sale due to the slow sales :)

If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

I would jump on GOBLIN because this is the only scheduled printing for this book and it is selling out. If you like Malerman as much as I do (from this one book) you can always snag a copy of BIRD BOX later. With the way DRP is holding on to them it looks like you'll have a bunch of time.

Theli
11-03-2017, 08:08 PM
But I am also wondering if Dark Regions is struggling. They also didn't sell out of their limited edition of OFF SEASON with a bunch of new content. Well, officially, they did sell it out--but only after taking about 150 copies out of preorder. It's more like their print run for the limited was 350 instead of 500. I remember when the number available for preorder dropped by 150 overnight after holding steady for months. There's someone on eBay selling a PC limited who states that the print run was 300 with a bunch of "overruns" resulting in the PC edition up for auction. I wonder who the seller was and how the seller came about that number.

Do people not know DRP exists? Is DRP overpriced? Is DRP betting on the wrong authors? Why is no one biting?

In regards to DRP they were one of the first independent publishers I discovered, if I recall correctly before CD even. At the time they didn't have quite as many bigger name horror authors, like Barker, Campbell, Ketchum etc. but their prices were lower and they had a very customer friendly grassroots feel. I guess that can't last forever. The direction they've taken recently has soured me on them a little bit. Large mark ups on other publisher books, the crowd funding, the price hikes of their own products (without much increase in quality) and some stories of less than desirable customer issues. I used to be able to make inquiries, comments etc. and get feedback, now unless it's a purchase, or directly related to purchase, comments seem to be ignored. I guess not everyone can be CD, Brian and the crew do a great job of being available and friendly.

RonClinton
11-03-2017, 08:55 PM
In regards to DRP they were one of the first independent publishers I discovered, if I recall correctly before CD even. At the time they didn't have quite as many bigger name horror authors, like Barker, Campbell, Ketchum etc. but their prices were lower and they had a very customer friendly grassroots feel. I guess that can't last forever. The direction they've taken recently has soured me on them a little bit. Large mark ups on other publisher books, the crowd funding, the price hikes of their own products (without much increase in quality) and some stories of less than desirable customer issues. I used to be able to make inquiries, comments etc. and get feedback, now unless it's a purchase, or directly related to purchase, comments seem to be ignored. I guess not everyone can be CD, Brian and the crew do a great job of being available and friendly.

I think the focus, the look, arguably even the customer relations of DRP changed somewhat when Chris Morey took over the company several years ago from his father, Joe Morey, who was the founder of DRP back in 1985. That's when the editorial vibe change started happening, as well as the crowdfunding campaigns, and so on. I think both men ran / are running a fine company, but the different way in which they did/do it may please some and displease others. Frankly, I'm impressed that anyone can make a go of a small-press company in this day and age....there're a lot of small-press corpses in their wake (DarkFuse is only the latest in a loonngg line of many) which attest to that.

Theli
11-03-2017, 09:32 PM
You're right. When I started over there at DRP Chris was just starting I think. And you know what? Good on him for helping to grow the brand and following in his father's footsteps. I hope they can stay afloat and succeed.

Brian861
11-03-2017, 10:00 PM

I've never purchased from them directly so have no experience with their customer service. They do seem to mark up prices of other publisher's books. But most others seem to do the same as well; with the exception of CD that I've seen. Matter of fact, if you're a member of the CDCC, you usually get a discount on other publisher's books. I didn't like their campaign awhile back where you had to buy something in order to preorder a certain title. That's a bit ridiculous IMO. I don't mind crowd funding so much as long as it's something I'm interested in and it's not a bad thing IMO. As long as there any crazy requirements. Pretty much get what ya pay for. Their certain Halloween grab bag deals didn't seem bad. Just nothing that interested me personally.

jeffingoff
11-03-2017, 10:42 PM
I've never purchased from them directly so have no experience with their customer service. They do seem to mark up prices of other publisher's books. But most others seem to do the same as well; with the exception of CD that I've seen. Matter of fact, if you're a member of the CDCC, you usually get a discount on other publisher's books. I didn't like their campaign awhile back where you had to buy something in order to preorder a certain title. That's a bit ridiculous IMO. I don't mind crowd funding so much as long as it's something I'm interested in and it's not a bad thing IMO. As long as there any crazy requirements. Pretty much get what ya pay for. Their certain Halloween grab bag deals didn't seem bad. Just nothing that interested me personally.

I've only purchased a grab bag from them last year and I wasn't impressed. I still haven't read anything from that haul. The first book that I preordered from them was the lettered OFF SEASON. And that should be coming in the next few weeks. So far I haven't gotten a shipping notice. That'll be my first experience with customer service and product quality. Actually, they did send me the original Chadbourne art very quickly after I bought the lettered BIRD BOX. So the service in that regard was good. After OFF SEASON it'll be BIRD BOX. After that, I don't know. Nothing on their horizon seems to draw me.

I am rooting for them, though.

bugen
11-04-2017, 02:45 AM
I've waffled a little with Dark Regions over the years, but Off Season (limited) is a fantastic production.

RonClinton
09-21-2018, 08:01 PM
After that very long wait, Jeff, sorry to see on your unboxing video that it got banged up in shipping. Really unfortunate, but hope you can get some satisfaction from Dark Regions, either a replacement or…?

jeffingoff
09-21-2018, 08:09 PM
After that very long wait, Jeff, sorry to see on your unboxing video that it got banged up in shipping. Really unfortunate, but hope you can get some satisfaction from Dark Regions, either a replacement or…?

Thank you. I emailed them with a link to the video as proof of my concerns.

Brian861
09-21-2018, 08:13 PM

I was thinking the same. Hope they make it right, Jeff.

Sock Monkey
09-21-2018, 08:24 PM
That really sucks, Jeff. That is pretty nice and banged up. If I was you, I'd be pretty miffed as well. If I was DRP, I'd be more than miffed that my fulfillment service can't properly ship a single box without getting it messed up. I have a lettered Bird Box on the way as well and I hope that it is shown more care than this.

jeffingoff
09-22-2018, 06:08 PM
That really sucks, Jeff. That is pretty nice and banged up. If I was you, I'd be pretty miffed as well. If I was DRP, I'd be more than miffed that my fulfillment service can't properly ship a single box without getting it messed up. I have a lettered Bird Box on the way as well and I hope that it is shown more care than this.

DRP responded to my email and I think they are well aware of the shipping situation. They're sending me a replacement copy and I am perfectly satisfied with their response.

jeffingoff
09-22-2018, 06:09 PM
I was thinking the same. Hope they make it right, Jeff.

They are replacing it. And they're assuring me that the lettered will be shipped with care.

TacomaDiver
09-22-2018, 06:59 PM
They are replacing it. And they're assuring me that the lettered will be shipped with care.

That's good. Glad they're taking care of you! (I ordered my copy from CD and it arrived nice and sound.)

Your "fulfilled by Amazon" shipping method looks a lot like my Cixin Liu Remembrance of Earth's Past book from the UK where being wrapped in thin cardboard is "acceptable."

Ben Staad
09-22-2018, 08:17 PM
I am sorry to hear that Bird Box came, from the sound of things, jacked up. Glad they are making it right. I will look around the forum and see if I can see your video.

Martin
09-22-2018, 10:14 PM
I am sorry to hear that Bird Box came, from the sound of things, jacked up. Glad they are making it right. I will look around the forum and see if I can see your video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtWiLNgyDgc

jeffingoff
09-23-2018, 12:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtWiLNgyDgc

Thanks Martin.

And thanks Ben, I'm pretty happy with their response.

Ben Staad
09-23-2018, 01:32 AM
Ughh. Great packaging for a TPB but not for a small press limited. Sorry, bro.

Thanks Martin.

jeffingoff
09-23-2018, 04:53 PM
That's good. Glad they're taking care of you! (I ordered my copy from CD and it arrived nice and sound.)

Your "fulfilled by Amazon" shipping method looks a lot like my Cixin Liu Remembrance of Earth's Past book from the UK where being wrapped in thin cardboard is "acceptable."

Yeah that's insane.

Martin
09-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Thanks Martin.

I have the advantage that they are about 20 minutes from me. In the past Chris has said he would hold book so I can just pick them up. With him now using Amazon Logistics I hope that offer still stands. I have one pre-order from him so I will get to test it eventually.

WebInterceptor
09-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Strange they are choosing to ship this way.. It might be my presumption but aren't they the ones who are packaging the books ? Mine was also shipped through amazon but it was packed very well.

Dan Hocker
09-24-2018, 03:44 PM
Strange they are choosing to ship this way.. It might be my presumption but aren't they the ones who are packaging the books ? Mine was also shipped through amazon but it was packed very well.

I don't think so. Usually how Amazon fulfillment works is you send the books in bulk to one of their fulfillment centers and you send the list of orders (names and address) and they pack and ship them. That said DRP usually has the books individually packed in exact fitting boxes that get packed in larger boxes later, I wonder why Jeff's wasn't like that. I know all the copies we received from them where packed that way.

slayn666
09-25-2018, 02:11 AM
For literal years Chris crowed about all the time and effort DRP was putting into packaging books, but I haven't heard a peep about this switch to Amazon Logistics.

I've still got two books preordered and I hope that the specialty nature of them (Laymon books with special slipcases) means that they get the personal treatment and not punted off to Amazon.

Edit: Wait, three books - can't forget about I am the Abyss.

jeffingoff
09-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Any guesses what DRP means by the website today? Balance will be restored. Are they talking about sending my replacement copy of BIRD BOX. Seems a bit much to dedicate the website to it, but whatevs.

https://darkregions.com/

Dan Hocker
09-25-2018, 03:38 PM
For literal years Chris crowed about all the time and effort DRP was putting into packaging books, but I haven't heard a peep about this switch to Amazon Logistics.

I've still got two books preordered and I hope that the specialty nature of them (Laymon books with special slipcases) means that they get the personal treatment and not punted off to Amazon.

Edit: Wait, three books - can't forget about I am the Abyss.

I can't really speak to their business, but I know they are a pretty small operation over there. Even smaller than we are (I think), my guess would be that they are just having trouble keeping up, as those order fulfillment services are almost always more expensive than just doing it yourself. The advantage is that they can usually do it faster.

Brian861
09-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Any guesses what DRP means by the website today? Balance will be restored. Are they talking about sending my replacement copy of BIRD BOX. Seems a bit much to dedicate the website to it, but whatevs.

Maybe, from reading Dan's post above, they are going to start packaging their own stuff again. Not very cost effective when they have to start replacing their product due to poor packaging.

Dan Hocker
09-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Maybe, from reading Dan's post above, they are going to start packaging their own stuff again. Not very cost effective when they have to start replacing their product due to poor packaging.

Chris has led me to believe that they do both. My guess is they pack their own stuff for day to day orders / when they sell other publisher titles, and they use Amazon or some other fulfillment service for the bulk stuff when they are filling preorders and what not. No idea though all of this is just an educated guess. As far as what's going on on their website, I'd just assume it's a teaser for some book announcement that's coming.

Brian861
09-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Chris has led me to believe that they do both. My guess is they pack their own stuff for day to day orders / when they sell other publisher titles, and they use Amazon or some other fulfillment service for the bulk stuff when they are filling preorders and what not. No idea though all of this is just an educated guess. As far as what's going on on their website, I'd just assume it's a teaser for some book announcement that's coming.

I'm thinking the same about the teaser after reading email.

WebInterceptor
09-25-2018, 06:16 PM

Balance will indeed be restored when you get your limited edition in mint condition. They are letting everyone know how important your reviews have become. Without those DRP will probably crash and burn.

Sock Monkey
09-25-2018, 06:20 PM
I think it’s a teaser as well. (Even if it isn’t, I think we need to pretend it is to keep Jeff’s ego in check. All the YouTube is starting to go to his head :p )

bsaenz24
09-25-2018, 06:23 PM
I think it’s a teaser as well. (Even if it isn’t, I think we need to pretend it is to keep Jeff’s ego in check. All the YouTube is starting to go to his head :p )

Agreed. I've heard he's looking for a deal with Netflix.

Brian861
09-25-2018, 06:33 PM

LOL! Rumor on the street is he woke up filming in his car and couldn't remember how he got there.

jeffingoff
09-25-2018, 06:40 PM
All I know is I'm going to get the authors to unbox with me in a boxing ring. So when I get CD's edition of SLEEPING BEAUTIES, Stephen King will meet me in a ring where I will open the shipment and then fight him for three rounds. The series will be called (UN)BOXING. It'll be on Netflix.

Martin
09-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Hey, if he can get them to pick up Hap and Leonard in the process I will watch his show!

Martin
09-25-2018, 06:42 PM
LOL! Rumor on the street is he woke up filming in his car and couldn't remember how he got there.

;)

WebInterceptor
09-25-2018, 06:43 PM

Since this is the age of remakes, They could do a "Taken" movie remake with Jeff's bird box being damaged and him yelling on the phone from his car "I do have a very particular set of skills. If you do not send the replacement, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you !!!!"

Martin
09-25-2018, 06:45 PM
All I know is I'm going to get the authors to unbox with me in a boxing ring. So when I get CD's edition of SLEEPING BEAUTIES, Stephen King will meet me in a ring where I will open the shipment and then fight him for three rounds. The series will be called (UN)BOXING. It'll be on Netflix.

Careful what you wish for. Remember that one was written by two people and they are both over 6'4". You are going down!

Brian861
09-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Since this is the age of remakes, They could do a "Taken" movie remake with Jeff's bird box being damaged and him yelling phone from his car "I do have a very particular set of skills. If you do not send the replacement, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you !!!!"

LMAO!! He does carry around a pretty big freakin' knife.

jeffingoff
09-25-2018, 07:24 PM
Careful what you wish for. Remember that one was written by two people and they are both over 6'4". You are going down!

We're still in pre-production and fine tuning the pilot. I might get a famous boxer to stand in for me.

Brian861
09-25-2018, 07:32 PM
You guys kill me, LOL.

bsaenz24
09-25-2018, 07:36 PM
We're still in pre-production and fine tuning the pilot. I might get a famous boxer to stand in for me.

"fine tuning the pilot"??? That's not a euphemism, is it??

Ben Staad
09-27-2018, 07:44 PM
Saw it I am baffled. It's like highschool lunch all over again. Sitting by myself and not knowing what is going on.

khaos
01-10-2019, 06:34 PM
I've read the book and seen the movie. Is this DRP version worth picking up? The 75 price point is probably what's stopping me. 40-50 and I think I'd grab it.

bsaenz24
01-10-2019, 06:48 PM
I've read the book and seen the movie. Is this DRP version worth picking up? The 75 price point is probably what's stopping me. 40-50 and I think I'd grab it.

I'm still finishing up the ebook, but I have the DRP edition and it's really a great looking book. Plus, Glenn Chadbourne's art is, as usual, without compare. It's well worth the bump from the $40-$50 range.

bsaenz24
01-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Side note. I assume the remaining copies won't last with all of the attention from the movie crowd.

Ben Staad
01-10-2019, 09:02 PM
If you liked the movie and loved the book I would say yes. As an investment I'm not sure it will go very far but it fits great on my shelf.

jeffingoff
01-10-2019, 09:14 PM

The DRP edition is gorgeous. It's signed and limited to 500. It comes with a new BIRD BOX short story. And Malerman's new afterword offers a great insight into the inspiration of the story. I think it's now a book that's had a larger cultural impact with the movie and it will increase in value over time. Maybe not enormously, but we'll see what Malerman does with his career. Already I see there are people hunting down GOBLIN which is the sold out Malerman book that Earthling published. I would grab a copy while they remain.

Of course I already have one and a Lettered on the way.

Hellantoys
01-10-2019, 09:50 PM
I have the book. And it is a beautiful book. It's a lower price than some Subterranean Press book, and it has nothing to envy. The difference is prestige. Bird Box has a beautiful design, beautiful illustrations, wide margins, and an attractive typography. Details that I would like Dark Reigns Press to repeat in another new book (if it's Sci-Fi, I'll be happy). In my opinion Bird Box has not been rated as it should have been, it must have been out of print a long time ago. I love some Subterranean press books and I love Bird Box by Dark Reigns Press.

RonClinton
01-10-2019, 10:20 PM
I probably sold my copy of GOBLIN too early…with his increased profile due to Netflix’ BIRD BOX (which I thought was meh), I’d certainly get more now than I did then, and perhaps even more a bit more as time goes on. Most here know I’m not much of a fan of Malerman, but I’d still like to give BIRD BOX (the book) another try...though it might just be my love of that S/L dustjacket talking.

jeffingoff
01-10-2019, 10:28 PM
I probably sold my copy of GOBLIN too early…with his increased profile due to Netflix’ BIRD BOX (which I thought was meh), I’d certainly get more now than I did then, and perhaps even more a bit more as time goes on. Most here know I’m not much of a fan of Malerman, but I’d still like to give BIRD BOX (the book) another try...though it might just be my love of that S/L dustjacket talking.

There are really great design elements throughout. And the Chadbourne art is some of his best in my opinion.

bsaenz24
01-11-2019, 01:16 AM
There are really great design elements throughout. And the Chadbourne art is some of his best in my opinion.

Agreed, but I can't think of a single book that featured Glenn's artwork where he didn't do an amazing job. Especially Secretary of Dreams 1 & 2.

Brian861
01-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Been debating whether or not to pick up this book as well. I really enjoyed the movie having not read the book.

jeffingoff
01-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Agreed, but I can't think of a single book that featured Glenn's artwork where he didn't do an amazing job. Especially Secretary of Dreams 1 & 2.

I know this might be the intersection of heresy and blasphemy but I did not dig the Secretary of Dreams editions. I have VOL II and I'm glad to have it in my collection, but I thought the whole thing was just visual overload. Way too much. I loved The Dark Man. I think that struck a great balance. I loved the stuff he did in Goblin too. I think Bird Box is his best work. And I'm getting Chadbourne remarques on the rest of the Res of the Doubleday Series.

jeffingoff
01-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Been debating whether or not to pick up this book as well. I really enjoyed the movie having not read the book.

I know there were copies on eBay that were lower than the publisher's price but I don't know if that's the case now that the movie is a hit.

TacomaDiver
01-11-2019, 03:52 PM

I own the DRP edition and the Kindle version. If youíre looking to just read the story, thatís what I would shoot for. Itís on sale quite often.

The DRP edition was kind of pricey and if it wasnít for the movie, I would imagine that it would have been available on the secondary market for a song. Itís also too bad DRPís 50% off sale had a ton of hoops to jump and tumble through.

jeffingoff
01-11-2019, 04:10 PM
I own the DRP edition and the Kindle version. If you’re looking to just read the story, that’s what I would shoot for. It’s on sale quite often.

The DRP edition was kind of pricey and if it wasn’t for the movie, I would imagine that it would have been available on the secondary market for a song. It’s also too bad DRP’s 50% off sale had a ton of hoops to jump and tumble through.

I'd agree that copies weren't moving and the secondary market wasn't kind to the book before the movie got everyone's interest.

Though I will say that I never regretted paying $75 for my copy. Once I had it in my hands I thought it was worth every penny. It's just a quality production. The same way I don't regret paying what I did for the CD artist edition of The Shining with a Chadbourne remarque--even though the secondary market doesn't seem to value that book the way it should (IMO). I think my copy of The Shining was worth every penny.

Dan Hocker
01-11-2019, 07:34 PM
I'd agree that copies weren't moving and the secondary market wasn't kind to the book before the movie got everyone's interest.

Though I will say that I never regretted paying $75 for my copy. Once I had it in my hands I thought it was worth every penny. It's just a quality production. The same way I don't regret paying what I did for the CD artist edition of The Shining with a Chadbourne remarque--even though the secondary market doesn't seem to value that book the way it should (IMO). I think my copy of The Shining was worth every penny.

Unfortunately the secondary market doesn't really appreciate remarques.

bsaenz24
01-11-2019, 08:01 PM

That always seemed odd to be. I think it should really bump the price.

Dan Hocker
01-11-2019, 08:07 PM

You'd think that, but generally speaking remarques actually only appeal to a niche market inside an already niche market.

jeffingoff
01-11-2019, 08:21 PM

I'm not even necessarily counting in the cost of my remarque. The Artist Edition of The Shining gets very little interest on eBay. And there are always lots of copies available at or slightly above the published price. And many times they don't even sell. I'm not complaining. I'd buy mine all over again. With the damn remarque too!

RonClinton
01-11-2019, 08:22 PM

As someone who doesn't appreciate remarques, I can give you my thinking about it...can't say for sure, though, that this logic is true of the general marketplace.

I don't mind if the cover artist - in the case of the above example (CD's THE SHINING), Don Maitz -- does a remarque, and I can even see paying a bit more IF I like the remarque...but when it's an artist that has nothing to do with the original production (in this case, Chadbourne (whose work I've really become tired of)), then it's just some third-party scribbling in your book..."defacing" is too strong a word, but it's not OF the book, it's ON the book, it has no relevant relation to the original production. I like my books as pristine as possible and as original as possible...but having someone who was not party to the book -- whether a professional artist or my teenage nephew -- scribble in it, it now has become a much less attractive item, less than a standard, unfaced example, akin to a copy with a previous owner's inscription to their spouse, or a coffee stain, or a remainder mark...they're foreign markings that do not belong to a Fine/Fine original production. So were I to be in the secondary market looking for a copy, I would never consider a remarqued (by someone other than the cover artist) copy, unless it was at a significant discount, in the same way I'd expect to pay less for a copy that's otherwise marred.

I know that may seem counter-intuitive to some -- hey, it's got cool original art that relates to the story, right? -- and I get that, but I can't help but see it the way I do. Maybe that explains the general marketplace, or maybe not -- perhaps I'm just uniquely odd that way.

bsaenz24
01-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Chadbourne did the internal art.

Brian861
01-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Once the hype dies down, I may pick up a copy then. It's not a must have but I plan on listening to the audio book.

Dan Hocker
01-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Chadbourne did the internal art.

Sort of. Glenn only did the art for the signature sheets, not actual interiors. That said, that along with the "style" is kinda the unifying factor across the series. Glenn also did some bonus pieces that are included in the art portfolios, but aren't in the books.

Dan Hocker
01-11-2019, 09:03 PM
I'm not even necessarily counting in the cost of my remarque. The Artist Edition of The Shining gets very little interest on eBay. And there are always lots of copies available at or slightly above the published price. And many times they don't even sell. I'm not complaining. I'd buy mine all over again. With the damn remarque too!

My guess is that probably has more to do with the lack of a King signature more than anything else.

I don't think anyone here does it, but I'd never suggest to anyone to buy a book as an investment or expect it's value to increase. The market for this sort of thing is too volatile.

jeffingoff
01-11-2019, 09:12 PM
My guess is that probably has more to do with the lack of a King signature more than anything else.

I don't think anyone here does it, but I'd never suggest to anyone to buy a book as an investment or expect it's value to increase. The market for this sort of thing is too volatile.

Agreed about the signature.

And also agree that you shouldn't buy books with an investment mindset. Sure there are those that hold their value and some that shoot way up. But those are hit and miss. I thought Bird Box would sell out immediately and only increase in value considering the buzz around its initial release. BOY was I wrong. It's taken a Netflix movie to move more copies, but even then copies remain.

The point I was making is that these books are worth every penny to me regardless of what the secondary market tells me their worth because I collect what I like. And I collect for myself.

bsaenz24
01-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Sort of. Glenn only did the art for the signature sheets, not actual interiors. That said, that along with the "style" is kinda the unifying factor across the series. Glenn also did some bonus pieces that are included in the art portfolios, but aren't in the books.

The DRP site says "..., ten interior illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne"

We are talking about the DRP edition right? That's NOT his art?

jeffingoff
01-11-2019, 09:25 PM
The DRP site says "..., ten interior illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne"

We are talking about the DRP edition right? That's NOT his art?

I believe that Ron was referring to The Shining and Dan was answering that point. Seems we're getting off track with our discussion about Bird Box.

bsaenz24
01-11-2019, 09:26 PM
I believe that Ron was referring to The Shining and Dan was answering that point. Seems we're getting off track with our discussion about Bird Box.

Ah, got it. Thanks Jeff. I knew I voted against kicking you off the board for a reason.

Damn, what was the reason ?!?!?!?!

Dan Hocker
01-11-2019, 09:42 PM

Correct.

jeffingoff
01-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Ah, got it. Thanks Jeff. I knew I voted against kicking you off the board for a reason.

Damn, what was the reason ?!?!?!?!

Every Forum created after 2012 instituted the NO JEFFs charter that prevents me from joining. It's standard in the messaging community now.

bsaenz24
01-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Every Forum created after 2012 instituted the NO JEFFs charter that prevents me from joining. It's standard in the messaging community now.

2012. Good times.