PDA

View Full Version : NSB: Seabury Quinn

bsaenz24
01-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Has anyone ever read Seabury Quinn? It sounds like he was a contemporary of Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith. I like the cover, but have never read him.

http://subterraneanpress.com/all-books/preorders/quinn-horror-on-the-links

Theli
01-26-2017, 07:35 PM
The name sounds familiar but to be honest I haven't the foggiest idea about his works. Who is the publisher, it doesn't look like it's Sub. Press, is it?

bsaenz24
01-26-2017, 08:02 PM
The name sounds familiar but to be honest I haven't the foggiest idea about his works. Who is the publisher, it doesn't look like it's Sub. Press, is it?

Night Shade Books. SubPress is reselling it. I took note because I liked the other multi-volume collections NSB did for Clark Ashton Smith.

Theli
01-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Night Shade Books. SubPress is reselling it. I took note because I liked the other multi-volume collections NSB did for Clark Ashton Smith.

Very intriguing.

Thanks for the heads up!

RonClinton
01-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Quinn's Jules de Grandin tales can be a bit repetitive and stale if taken in too large a dose -- these were, after all, written to formula for the pulp magazines -- but sipped like a fine wine this is an exciting project indeed. These were among the most popular pulp stories of their day, and though some argue that they haven't aged particularly well, I still think they're generally a lot of fun. I'm in for all five volumes. The choice of Donato Giancola, too, looks like a good one, if the cover of that first volume is any indication.

Edit: It's also a lot cheaper investment than the Battered Silicon oversized three-volume set that came out a while back, which I'm sure has only grown in value since.

mhatchett
01-26-2017, 08:35 PM
I will be jumping on this one. Read the paperbacks years ago. Kind of pricey and hard to find. Thanks for the heads up!

bsaenz24
02-27-2017, 07:26 PM
I will be jumping on this one. Read the paperbacks years ago. Kind of pricey and hard to find. Thanks for the heads up!

Amazon is already listing vol 2 for Sept. 2017. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1597809276/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1