PDA

View Full Version : Daninsky's Collection

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 04:53 PM
I've been here a while now, mostly just lurking and admiring everyone's collections. Finally decided I'd start posting some of my own library, as I feel that sharing one's acquisitions with other enthusiasts in a hobby is one of the most gratifying aspects of collecting! I think I'm going to post my stuff by publisher until I get 'caught up.' I'll do most of it by 'shelf', aside from a few really special pieces that I think warrant their own set of pics.

Going to start with my favorite publisher, Centipede Press. First book I'm sharing is actually the centerpiece of my entire collection, Centipede or otherwise. I've never come across another one of these and it remains my most treasured volume and one of the most gorgeously put-together books I've ever had the pleasure of touching, let alone owning.

Gene Wolfe's "Shadow of the Torturer" deluxe edition, published in 2007 by Centipede Press in full Chieftain goatskin leather, with deckled Saunders Waterford paper and an accompanying traycase. Only 13 of this state (numbered in Roman Numerals) were created, with 11 of them sold before publication and the other two going (I believe) to Mr. Walters and Mr. Wolfe.

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 04:56 PM
More images of Centipede's deluxe Wolfe...

Theli
01-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Always great to have a new collection page! I can't wait to leaf through it when you're all caught up. Tremendous start so far!

Martin
01-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Thanks for starting a new collection thread. I look forward to wanting more books! Off to a great start that first book is a beauty!

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Next up is another one of Jerad's (extremely) elusive deluxe traycased editions. This one was an entry in his MotWT series, Algernon Blackwood.

The size of these deluxe editions he used to put out is staggering. The first image here features the deluxe edition photographed alongside the standard signed/limited Blackwood volume Centipede put out. Any of you who own a MotWT volume know that they're rather hefty on their own. It's very tough trying to find proper shelving for these beasts, not that I'm complaining. Like most of his deluxe releases, this one came with collection of prints from the book, housed in a smaller, secondary case.

RonClinton
01-09-2017, 05:22 PM
This Centipede fan boy thanks you for these, and is looking forward to more. :)

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Thanks so much for your comments, gentlemen! I'm thrilled that I can share these images with people who earnestly enjoy and appreciate them. I'm a pretty serious Centipede fanboy, myself. He's had a few misses in the bunch over the years, but by and large Jerad's quality of work is stunning. I wish I had a fraction of his energy!

Third deluxe traycase Centipede here, this one is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. A little bit smaller than the previous two and with a softer synthetic material than the cloth he usually used for traycases, it also includes the requisite accompanying collection of prints. And beautiful ones at that. If I had a complaint (I really don't) it would be that the actual book itself here is fundamentally identical to the Limited version aside from the enumeration page and accompanying traycase. He usually went quarter or full leather for these deluxes, but kept this one the same as the standard. Still a gorgeous book though.

St. Troy
01-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Do many Centipede traycase editions have that "off center" style traycase? Do you prefer this traycase style to conventional centered ones (assuming you have those as well - I have neither)?

Thanks for posting - I don't yet have anything from Centipede, but from what I've seen, I quite like their work.

bugen
01-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Wow, those are amazing! Thanks for posting the pics!

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Do many Centipede traycase editions have that "off center" style traycase? Do you prefer this traycase style to conventional centered ones (assuming you have those as well - I have neither)?

Thanks for posting - I don't yet have anything from Centipede, but from what I've seen, I quite like their work.

No real preference. To be honest, the traycases are closed and on the shelf 99% of the time, so the disposition of the book inside isn't a subject of great concern to me. I think that, visually-speaking, the 'off center' arrangement is a bit more striking, but even that is only a very slight preferential bent.

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 07:09 PM
The three above were my only oversize deluxe Centipedes. The three included here are also deluxe, traycased editions, but they are significantly smaller than the previous ones.

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Now on to the signed/limited Centipede shelves. Most of these are a lot less rare, so I'm just posting in batches. But if anyone wants to see any closer up, please ask and I'll provide additional photos.

The astute collectors among you may note after viewing these photos that I am still missing ELEVEN books that keep me from a complete Centipede Press collection. Just putting out there that if any of you have any of the eleven I still need, I am more than happy to talk about reasonable offers. ;)

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Continuing with Centipede Press...

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Finishing up with Centipede...

Theli
01-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Damn man, that is a hell of a collection! I like the hints of Easton Press books in there too.

Are you missing Nosferatu Studies in the Horror Film? Can't figure out the others off the top of my head.

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Damn man, that is a hell of a collection! I like the hints of Easton Press books in there too.

Are you missing Nosferatu Studies in the Horror Film? Can't figure out the others off the top of my head.

Nope, that's actually it in the center of that last photo. I AM missing Paul Monette's novelization of Herzog's Nosferatu, however.

I am also missing Claw of the Conciliator, Sword of the Lictor, and Citadel of the Autarch (Wolfe)
To Walk the Night (Sloane)
The Hot Spot (Williams)
Film Studies for The Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead, and Videodrome
and the art books for Don Brautigam and Max Ernst.

I am technically missing Chimera I and II, as well, I guess, but I am not actually sure which imprint they're even on, Centipede, Millipede, or one of the others. So whether I count them as missing depends on my mood at the time, hahaa. I would certainly buy them if I found them, though, so I guess I should say I am technically missing 13, not 11.

Theli
01-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Ah, that makes sense. I saw one Nosferatu, but not two, so I knew one had to be missing.

RonClinton
01-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Good Lord… What an amazingly beautiful and impressive collection. I can't even think of how long I've been looking for a copy of THE SEARCH FOR JOSEPH TULLEY...and there it is. I was beginning to think that I had imagined that they had published it, especially since I don't believe it's on their Books page.

My jealousy is only tempered by the fact that I have the Monette and Sloane volumes. :cool:

Referencing your earlier offer, I would love to see some additional close-up photos of THE SEARCH FOR JOSEPH TULLY.

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Referencing your earlier offer, I would love to see some additional close-up photos of THE SEARCH FOR JOSEPH TULLY.

Certainly! And make sure to check your PMs please. Potentially interesting proposition in there for you. ;)

RonClinton
01-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Very cool to see that, after looking for a copy for so long -- thank you for posting those pics, really appreciate it.

I suspect all the above photos will be revisited by me a number of times...what an outstanding Centipede collection. Good luck in your completist search!

bugen
01-09-2017, 10:38 PM
I take back my 'awesome' comment; that's a spectacular collection!

You're like the James Bond of books, where women want you and men want to be you.

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Very cool to see that, after looking for a copy for so long -- thank you for posting those pics, really appreciate it.

I suspect all the above photos will be revisited by me a number of times...what an outstanding Centipede collection. Good luck in your completist search!

Thanks so much for your kind words! The investment (in effort, time, and money) in assembling all of these was fairly substantial so I am always thrilled when someone else get to enjoy and appreciate them as well. I collect about six other publishers (all of which I will post here in the coming days), but none quite as extensively as Centipede. The authors that Jerad picks tend to be very firmly in my wheelhouse with only a few exceptions, so I fell in love with his press the day I found it.

Daninsky
01-09-2017, 10:44 PM
You're like the James Bond of books, where women want you and men want to be you.

Hah shitfire, man. I'll admit that these books bring me a tremendous amount of joy as well as some periodic friendly (I hope!) envy from fellow bibliophiles...but the one thing they HAVEN'T brought me is roomfuls of adoring women!
On the bright side, my wife is very understanding of my hobbies, so I've got that situation positioned about as happily as it can be. ;)

Thanks again for your kind words, though. It really does totally make my day to share. And I love looking at you guys' stuff, too, make no mistake.

mhatchett
01-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Really Excellent, Thanks for sharing!

Sock Monkey
01-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Dear lord, man! That is one amazing collection of Centipede Press books! Some of those editions I didn't even know existed like the monstrous MotWT, which is just so cool. Thanks for sharing!

Brian861
01-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Nice collection!

Daninsky
01-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Well, I was going to go through and post my library by publisher in descending order of collection size, but I decided that I'd better post my CD stuff next, given that this is CD's site and all! Unfortunately, I actually started collecting Cemetery Dance a good deal later than most of the other publishers in my library, so my CD shelf is going to look a bit anti-climatic after all those Centipede photos. On the other hand, I do have a goodly number of CD publications on pre-order right now, so this shelf is going to fill out in due course. But for the moment, this is what I have from CD and, small as it may be, I am quite pleased to have what I do!

Theli
01-10-2017, 07:16 PM
It's a good start! I'm a big fan of the Fangoria book, I have the regular s/l. CD's leather bound lettered copies were truly something to behold. I wish I'd been able to order some while they were being produced.

RonClinton
01-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Do you collect by publisher then...I know you're attempting to complete the Centipede collection w/ a full run of their books...is that the case with the other several publishers you say you collect?

I collect by author and the degree of interest I have in reading the book...but I know those with the completist collector gene often collect by publisher, with the author(s) incidental, and shots of their full-run collections are always a lot of fun to see.

By the way, how long have you been collecting? That Centipede collection must've taken some time to accumulate...

Dan Hocker
01-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Do you collect by publisher then...I know you're attempting to complete the Centipede collection w/ a full run of their books...is that the case with the other several publishers you say you collect?

I collect by author and the degree of interest I have in reading the book...but I know those with the completist collector gene often collect by publisher, with the author(s) incidental, and shots of their full-run collections are always a lot of fun to see.

By the way, how long have you been collecting? That Centipede collection must've taken some time to accumulate...

I would not envy anyone trying to collect the entire CD library. There's some stuff even we can't get our hands on.

slayn666
01-10-2017, 08:11 PM
I would not envy anyone trying to collect the entire CD library. There's some stuff even we can't get our hands on.

I'm actually curious about this. Is there anything besides some of the earlier issues of the magazine that are proving stubborn?

mhatchett
01-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Glad I haven't been bitten by the completest bug LOL!

Theli
01-10-2017, 08:12 PM

A collectors job can be rough and dirty, but someone's got to do it!

Daninsky
01-10-2017, 08:12 PM

I collect mainly by publisher, yes. Though I am not an obsessive completist with any single publisher other than Centipede. I buy everything Jerad does, bar none. With most of the others I collect, I purchase only books that appeal to me as a reader or (far less frequently) books that I strongly feel will appreciate in value. I try to limit my collecting to publisher because it imposes a reasonable restraint to keep me from going crazy and spending too much or buying more books than I have room for. I also buy individual books if they are recommended to me by a reliable source or if I have a personal connection to the author, editor, or publisher.

So I suppose I'm sort of a hybrid in terms of collector genes. But yes, there are about six publishers (Centipede, Subterranean, CD, Swan River, PS, and Thunderstorm) whose release updates I watch very carefully. There are probably another dozen or so that are on my radar, but from whom I only buy one or two books per year.

As far as book collecting in general, I have been going to great lengths to purchase certain authors or publishers for about 25 years now. I started back in high school, taking semi-regular road trips across my state with a very dear friend of mine, also an avid collector. We'd drive along the interstate over the course of a day or weekend and stop at all the bookstores on our map. I believe the first signed edition I procured this way was a signed Fritz Leiber (Bazaar of the Bizarre)published by Donald M Grant when I was about 17. As time went on, I started ranging further to conventions and swap meets and such.

Ebay was a life changer when it came along, as I suspect it was for most people here. Though it did snip a little bit of the fun out of those trips to Windy City Pulp and Paper. ;)

Believe it or not, I've only been collecting Centipede for about two years. I am just, well, -quite- aggressive when it comes to my rare completist collecting. I hunt like mad and have a pretty vast network of reliable connections built up over the years to hassle daily about hits. Hahahaha. Persistence, luck, and a lot of negotiating.

RonClinton
01-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Sounds in many ways familiar to my story. I've been doing this now for around 25 years as well -- closer to 30, I suppose, if I do the math. I didn't start seriously collecting/reading in the genre until my early 20s, starting with Dark Harvest and the like. Dark Harvest's novels, collections, and anthologies introduced me to different authors and the small-press scene, and then I picked up Cemetery Dance #2 brand-new on the newstands...and it all took off from there. My book database shows 2,745 (though, of course, not all are small-press horror) books in my collection currently, but I've probably had at least half that number again go through my hands as books were traded, sold off, etc.

30 years of bookhunting -- man, that's a heckuva long time when I see that number in black-and-white (even longer when I think as well about the teenage me and the casual trips made to my local used bookstore for some cheap reading pbs) ...but even still I can't think of many ways more rewarding to spend one's spare time and discretionary funds. The fruits of my labor surround me like old friends in the many barrister bookcases in my home office, and when I look at them, as I often do, they give me a sense of pleasure and comfort and of satisfaction of time well spent.

Dan Hocker
01-11-2017, 03:40 PM
I'm actually curious about this. Is there anything besides some of the earlier issues of the magazine that are proving stubborn?

We have one of every limited / trade edition we ever put out, as well as the magazine at this point. The real problem lies in the smaller projects. I think we're still missing about 5 lettered editions (all fairly early), and we basically don't have any of the Artist Editions pre 2010. I think we probably have everything else though.

slayn666
01-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Ah, so it's an issue of not having a copy of every version of a book you've done rather than not having a copy of any version at all.

St. Troy
01-11-2017, 04:18 PM
We have one of every limited / trade edition we ever put out, as well as the magazine at this point...

If you ever have a break in where you find that nothing is missing but also find some random guy wandering around looking...that guy is me.

Daninsky
01-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Continuing on here, though eschewing any real semblance of order in the process, I am providing some photographs of The (numbered) Virginia Edition of the complete collection of Robert Heinlein's works. The rather glossy leather binding doesn't want to photograph well in my windowless library, but it'll have to do.

I was introduced to Heinlein at a rather young age, as my father roomed with RH's nephew his first year in college and had quite a collection of paperbacks when I was a lad.

Theli
01-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Damn, man! What a beautiful set! I see the numbers on the bottom, but what is the basis of the organization? Is it chronological?

Daninsky
01-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Damn, man! What a beautiful set! I see the numbers on the bottom, but what is the basis of the organization? Is it chronological?

Question I have discussed at length with at least a half dozen Heinlein 'scholars' since this set was released five years ago.

Short answer after all that debate? No goddam basis whatsoever. Purely and utterly random. LOL

TacomaDiver
01-11-2017, 08:27 PM
It does take the guess work out of the "how do I organize this?" question that I'm sure we have all asked ourselves many times.

Theli
01-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Question I have discussed at length with at least a half dozen Heinlein 'scholars' since this set was released five years ago.

Short answer after all that debate? No goddam basis whatsoever. Purely and utterly random. LOL

Ha! Fair enough.

Daninsky
01-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Ha! Fair enough.

I'll also point out that they started at #1 with what is (arguably) worst and least accessible of all his novels. Most collections would probably bury I WILL FEAR NO EVIL at the back end after the travelogues and miscellaneous letters, but the Virginia Edition puts it front and center. No idea what would prompt them to do so. Not that big of a deal, I suppose. It is still a beautiful and elegant collection with good editing and some fascinating introductory notes in each volume. I'll just never understand the organization.

mhatchett
01-12-2017, 12:19 AM
I have a copy of Starship Troopers from the VE collection. The whole set is impressive though!

Theli
01-12-2017, 01:20 PM
I'll also point out that they started at #1 with what is (arguably) worst and least accessible of all his novels. Most collections would probably bury I WILL FEAR NO EVIL at the back end after the travelogues and miscellaneous letters, but the Virginia Edition puts it front and center. No idea what would prompt them to do so. Not that big of a deal, I suppose. It is still a beautiful and elegant collection with good editing and some fascinating introductory notes in each volume. I'll just never understand the organization.

I may have a theory on that. Was the set released all at once, or one book at a time? If it was one book at a time starting at the worst is not a bad idea, making it a more desirable purchase, if not to start, than by the end to complete the set. Where as they started with the best/most popular books some people would opt out after getting their favourites... That said it would only pertain to the set being sold individually, if not that theory gets thrown right out the window.

mhatchett
01-12-2017, 02:41 PM
I may have a theory on that. Was the set released all at once, or one book at a time? If it was one book at a time starting at the worst is not a bad idea, making it a more desirable purchase, if not to start, than by the end to complete the set. Where as they started with the best/most popular books some people would opt out after getting their favourites... That said it would only pertain to the set being sold individually, if not that theory gets thrown right out the window.

I checked the site and they sell the whole set for $1,300.00 shipping included. I didn't see an option for purchasing single titles, but I didn't look that hard. I don't remember where I picked up my singlet.

Daninsky
01-12-2017, 02:43 PM

Sold only as a complete set, all published at the same time. So alas...

mhatchett
01-12-2017, 02:45 PM
46 volumes, whew! Glad I found the one I really wanted lol!!

Daninsky
01-12-2017, 02:51 PM
46 volumes, whew! Glad I found the one I really wanted lol!!

Hah. The 'unboxing' was an adventure of epic proportions.

Daninsky
01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Continuing on, my rather modest (but beloved) collection of books from PS Publishing. As discussed in another thread, sometimes their work tends to be rather hit-or-miss in terms of production quality. There's a lot about them that I love, but their lack of consistency is not one of them. They're great people, though, and I enjoy a great deal of what they put out. And they will always have a firm place in my heart, regardless, for their beautiful treatment of the Erikson novellas and Ian Cameron Esslemont's books.

These pics feature the PS stuff as well as whatever I have on their various imprints. Thanks for continuing to look at my books!

Theli
01-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Very nice set! Are you Erikson and Esslemont books mostly matching numbers? I've only read Esslemont's first, but it was enjoyable enough.

Daninsky
01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Very nice set! Are you Erikson and Esslemont books mostly matching numbers? I've only read Esslemont's first, but it was enjoyable enough.

No, no. I started buying them too late to get matches. Given my druthers, I'd probably take matched sets over unmatched, but to be honest it isn't a big issue with me. I know that it is for some people, but matching the numbers up just isn't part of my particular obsession. :)

Sock Monkey
01-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Nice pics of your PS collection. I personally currently only own one book from PS (Cage of Night by Ed Gorman) but am always tempted by some of their titles. I am definitely upset that I missed out on The Ceremonies. I have been fiddling with the idea of trying to pick up the lettered edition of the new Ramsey Campbell book when it's offered. With the new year, I'm reassessing my collecting goals so everything is up in the air right now.

Theli
01-12-2017, 06:58 PM
No, no. I started buying them too late to get matches. Given my druthers, I'd probably take matched sets over unmatched, but to be honest it isn't a big issue with me. I know that it is for some people, but matching the numbers up just isn't part of my particular obsession. :)

I'm more or less the same way. I try to match numbers when I can, I think it's a nice touch to a continuing series, but give up hope pretty quick when I can't. haha

bookworm 1
01-12-2017, 10:24 PM
What a beautiful collection of books. Love it. Very impressive.

Daninsky
01-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks once again to everyone for their recent comments. I'll keep posting photos so long as people seem to enjoy them!

Moving along the wall, here are the photos of my rather modest Easton Press collection. I don't have a huge amount of them, but I do love most of the ones I have and I think all of the books they publish generally have tremendous shelf appeal.

Martin
01-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Wow is about all I can say!

Daninsky
01-14-2017, 05:57 PM
I was actually curious if anyone here was in a position to recognize the two sculptures I have flanking the Tolkien books in that first EP photograph. I'll take some better photos and discuss them a bit later in the thread, but if anyone can identify them before that, it'll make my day. :)

Theli
01-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Love the Tolkien and EP collection. I had no idea that they had released a Conan anthology. Very freaking jealous! Can't say I know what the statues are. They do look vaguely familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Daninsky
01-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Love the Tolkien and EP collection. I had no idea that they had released a Conan anthology. Very freaking jealous! Can't say I know what the statues are. They do look vaguely familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

The Conan omnibus is rare, woefully overpriced, and depressingly poorly produced. I'm not entirely sure what sort of licensing shenanigans were involved with EP putting out that book, but the cover is passing decent while the gilt edges are of the very cheap spray-on variety, the text is poorly edited, the map is full of misprints, and the pages are the cheapest, most abrasive paper stock imaginable. Seriously, I have vintage issues of Weird Tales printing some of these same stories that have better quality paper!

Theli
01-14-2017, 09:03 PM
That is so sad. I guess my Wandering Star copies will have to do!

Daninsky
01-14-2017, 11:53 PM
That is so sad. I guess my Wandering Star copies will have to do!

The Wandering Star editions are great! As are the follow-up editions from Sub Press. Some beautiful books with good, unexpurgated text. You could do a lot worse!

Daninsky
01-15-2017, 12:08 AM
The Thunderstorm Books shelf. I really love these guys a lot. Some of the best production value for the price that I have ever seen in small press and a really stellar selection of authors, as well. I do not now nor will I ever understand why they perform so poorly on the secondary market. Small print runs, high quality, great materials, and some really spectacular authors, but I see them all the time on Ebay bringing in barely 50% of List, even when long out of print. It boggles the mind, as they really deserve to do better. Side Note: Those glue spots (at least I think that's what they are) on WALK THE SKY are almost invisible to the naked eye. I had no idea they were even there until I uploaded these photos. The things you notice...

bookworm 1
01-15-2017, 01:17 AM
Very nice. I have a few of those Thunderstorm Press books including the whole Ronald Kelly Essential series. They really do put out a high quality book.

Daninsky
01-15-2017, 01:34 AM
Very nice. I have a few of those Thunderstorm Press books including the whole Ronald Kelly Essential series. They really do put out a high quality book.

As evidenced in the photos, I have all but ONE of those Ronald Kelly books. The first one in the series, Undertaker's Moon. My shelf is incomplete without it!! If anyone has copy of the Thunderstorm edition of that book, please do let me know. I'd sure love to buy it off of ya.

slayn666
01-15-2017, 03:52 AM
I do not now nor will I ever understand why they perform so poorly on the secondary market. Small print runs, high quality, great materials, and some really spectacular authors, but I see them all the time on Ebay bringing in barely 50% of List, even when long out of print. It boggles the mind, as they really deserve to do better.

That's how most limited edition books fare. Any limited I have that I didn't buy direct from the publisher was almost always purchased for at least 50% of the retail price. A fair few I've gotten for less than 20% of retail.

That said, a few TSB book hold value. I paid well above retail for my copy of House of Blood, and a bit above retail for the J.F. Gonzalez set I picked up at the same time. Generally speaking, the first five or ten Black Voltage titles have held their value quite well, with the aforementioned Smith and McBean's Mother always doing extremely well for sellers. I've never actually seen one for sale, but I imagine the first Maelstrom set would also fetch a tidy sum.

Daninsky
01-15-2017, 04:26 AM
That's how most limited edition books fare. Any limited I have that I didn't buy direct from the publisher was almost always purchased for at least 50% of the retail price. A fair few I've gotten for less than 20% of retail.

That said, a few TSB book hold value. I paid well above retail for my copy of House of Blood, and a bit above retail for the J.F. Gonzalez set I picked up at the same time. Generally speaking, the first five or ten Black Voltage titles have held their value quite well, with the aforementioned Smith and McBean's Mother always doing extremely well for sellers. I've never actually seen one for sale, but I imagine the first Maelstrom set would also fetch a tidy sum.

Valid points, thanks for the input. I guess maybe I'm just a bit spoiled because the bulk of my collecting has been with Centipede and Subterranean Press, both of which seem to hold (and very frequently increase in) value quite reliably, with a few expected exceptions. So I still sometimes wind up surprised and a little sad to see other really good small publishers whose books (I feel) should hold value, but don't.

Martin
01-15-2017, 05:53 AM
Every book I have from Thunderstorm are top notch and in my dealings with him I have nothing but good things to say.

mhatchett
01-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Sold only as a complete set, all published at the same time. So alas...

I found my copy. One of the reasons I bought it was the custom slipcase.

Daninsky
01-15-2017, 03:14 PM
I found my copy. One of the reasons I bought it was the custom slipcase.

Ah hah! That must be one of the Meisha Merlin publications! In addition to the complete 46-book set put out by the Heinlein Trust, MM was also supposed to publish a deluxe edition of the whole collection. Unfortunately, they went out of business having only published the first 6 and never did the other 40, much like what happened with their contract to publish GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire deluxe editions. Thanks for sharing!

mhatchett
01-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Ah hah! That must be one of the Mischa Merlin publications! In addition to the complete 46-book set put out by the Heinlein Trust, Mischa Merlin was also supposed to publish a deluxe edition of the whole collection. Unfortunately, they went out of business having only published the first 6 and never did the other 40, much like what happened with their contract to publish GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire deluxe editions. Thanks for sharing!

It is! I remember reading about the criticism of the choosing them because of their lack of experience. i would love to get the set, but frankly, as much as I love Heinlein, there are more than a few titles I could do without. I think these copies are kind few and far between.

slayn666
01-16-2017, 12:44 AM
Valid points, thanks for the input. I guess maybe I'm just a bit spoiled because the bulk of my collecting has been with Centipede and Subterranean Press, both of which seem to hold (and very frequently increase in) value quite reliably, with a few expected exceptions. So I still sometimes wind up surprised and a little sad to see other really good small publishers whose books (I feel) should hold value, but don't.

Yep, after I posted I realized that your view might be a bit skewed due to having a nearly-complete Centipede collection. I'm half convinced Jerad is a wizard.

Daninsky
01-16-2017, 05:24 AM
Pausing briefly before moving on to the next row of books to address the sculptures featured in an earlier photo. They, along with the other two pictured here and the accompanying paintings and drawings were all created by the same artist. The sculptures, carved of various stones found on his family property in the first half of the 20th century, make their home on my bookshelves while the others hang on the walls of my library.

I have actually put more effort into acquiring these pieces than I have any books in my entire collection. Most took me years of searching to locate and some rather rigorous negotiation to acquire, but they are some of my most treasured possessions and I feel both lucky and honored to be able to serve as steward for them while I live. Their connection to some of the 20th Century's most important fantastic/weird fiction is very intimate and it saddens me immensely how many of his works have been lost over the last century.

All of these are original works by Clark Ashton Smith, late of Auburn, California. He originally sold most of these for under $5.00 each through mail order.

Theli
01-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Wow. Just wow! I didn't know that Mr. Smith created visual art as well as writing. Honestly I could argue that he was the most proficient writer of the weird circle.

bsaenz24
01-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Wow. Just wow! I didn't know that Mr. Smith created visual art as well as writing. Honestly I could argue that he was the most proficient writer of the weird circle.

I still have to make my way through the 5 volume CAS collection from Night Shade Books.

mhatchett
01-16-2017, 02:48 PM
That is a very special collection.

mhatchett
01-16-2017, 02:59 PM

I hate to sound like a Pollyanna, I've mentioned this in the past, I rarely view book purchases as financial investments. The value of the books will be my kids problem after I'm gone. I usually keep what I buy. There are exceptions, of course. I think in recent years the book market has been extremely volatile and will continue to be in the foreseeable future.

Theli
01-16-2017, 03:20 PM
I still have to make my way through the 5 volume CAS collection from Night Shade Books.

I'm still missing the last two of the collection.

Nice Thunderstorm collection. I love the way they look on the shelves. They do take the extra step to make their products have great shelf appeal. I would buy more from them but, for me, the authors just aren't what I am looking for. I do have some nice copies of their books though and keep my eyes open for when they do stock something that piques my interest.

Daninsky
01-16-2017, 03:34 PM
I hate to sound like a Pollyanna, I've mentioned this in the past, I rarely view book purchases as financial investments. The value of the books will be my kids problem after I'm gone. I usually keep what I buy. There are exceptions, of course. I think in recent years the book market has been extremely volatile and will continue to be in the foreseeable future.

Oh I agree completely. I have traded a few books with other collectors, but I'm not sure I've ever re-sold one for profit. I simply dont have enough room in my library for all the books I want to own and read as well as space for making money. I still feel a little sad sometimes, however, when I see beautiful and intriguing small press books selling on Ebay for half what they were listed for a year earlier. It makes me feel like too few people are actually appreciating the books in question, though of course that may not be true.

RonClinton
01-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Those CAS pieces are very cool, and you've managed to acquire quite a collection of what I imagine must be rare piece indeed...congratulations!

Btw, you must be very excited about the upcoming Centipede Press book: In the Realms of Mystery and Wonder: The Artwork of Clark Ashton Smith edited by Scott Connors. Signed by Connors with a Clark Ashton Smith facsimile signature. 600 copies, 300 signed. Two volumes in a unique binding inside a box. Probably $175 less 15% -- especially given that it combines two of your collecting passions, CAS and Centipede.

Daninsky
01-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Those CAS pieces are very cool, and you've managed to acquire quite a collection of what I imagine must be rare piece indeed...congratulations!

Btw, you must be very excited about the upcoming Centipede Press book: In the Realms of Mystery and Wonder: The Artwork of Clark Ashton Smith edited by Scott Connors. Signed by Connors with a Clark Ashton Smith facsimile signature. 600 copies, 300 signed. Two volumes in a unique binding inside a box. Probably $175 less 15% -- especially given that it combines two of your collecting passions, CAS and Centipede.

I have been waiting anxiously for that book for a good many years, in fact. It seems that it has been in the pipeline forever. A few of these pieces should be in there (at least two were purchased from Scott Connors over the past decade), but several will likely not, which is a shame. The final piece I posted, that eerie landscape, has never been included in any CAS collections and has only sold one time since it was painted in the mid-20's. Smith painted it as a gift to one of his neighbors and it hung on her family's wall until I purchased it from her great-niece a few years ago. I couldn't get quality scans produced and sent to Jerad or Connors in time to get it in the book, alas. Mostly my fault, but its omission from what will likely be the most complete collection of Smith's artwork ever published will gall me for the remainder of my days.

Theli
01-16-2017, 04:24 PM
That's too bad! It looks like a really stellar piece. Quite haunting.

Daninsky
01-16-2017, 09:51 PM
That's too bad! It looks like a really stellar piece. Quite haunting.

I agree, it is one of my favorite pieces by him. He had several different styles and was completely untrained, so some come off looking quite amateurish while others evoke such a sense of weird otherworldliness that they seem quite well put together. He did hundreds f small sketches and 'doodles' that also find their way into circulation these days, but even they tend to be a bit rare. His actual compositions are almost unicorns, so finding one is a real treat, let alone one as atmospheric and unique as that one.

One eyed cat
01-17-2017, 01:42 AM
As evidenced in the photos, I have all but ONE of those Ronald Kelly books. The first one in the series, Undertaker's Moon. My shelf is incomplete without it!! If anyone has copy of the Thunderstorm edition of that book, please do let me know. I'd sure love to buy it off of ya.

I have a new copy of Undertaker's Moon that I am willing to part with. Let me know if you are still looking.

Daninsky
01-17-2017, 01:59 AM
I have a new copy of Undertaker's Moon that I am willing to part with. Let me know if you are still looking.

PM'd

Brian861
01-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Dan, the sear volume and awesomeness of your collection is overwhelming. That will always be the case for me moving forward :)

St. Troy
01-17-2017, 08:28 PM
...I'm half convinced Jerad is a wizard.

Although I don't own anything from CP, all evidence suggests that you are correct: every photo and description I've seen online (especially CP's Salem's Lot, with which I am obsessed), as well as just about every customer review (buyers don't merely like CP) - all seem to agree that CP is one of the very best out there, in the conversation as being as good as, or better than, any other.

...which adds to the mystery for which we have no reasonable answer: just exactly why won't SK work with them (him) again???

Daninsky
01-17-2017, 08:48 PM
...which adds to the mystery for which we have no reasonable answer: just exactly why won't SK work with them (him) again???

Eh, I have not asked Jerad specifically about this, but what has led you to believe that the issue is that King is refusing to work with the publisher? Based on the the company's output and what I know of Jerad, I would be far more inclined to assume that Jerad just isn't trying to work on another King book. The horror market, small press especially, is pretty heavily saturated with King. Like...VERY saturated. Jerad specializes in very small, niche titles, usually ones that have been out of print for decades. The vast majority of the stuff he publishes is not currently being covered by any other publishers and hasn't been for years. He chose Salem's Lot very early on in the history of his press because SL is his absolute favorite King work, if not his favorite genre novel of all time.

Like I said, I haven't asked Jerad about it directly and I certainly haven't discussed it with King (to whom I have absolutely no avenue of communication), but I earnestly believe that the answer to your question is "Because Centipede Press simply isn't interested in publishing King novels." Unless you have information to the contrary?

St. Troy
01-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Eh, I have not asked Jerad specifically about this, but what has led you to believe that the issue is that King is refusing to work with the publisher? Based on the the company's output and what I know of Jerad, I would be far more inclined to assume that Jerad just isn't trying to work on another King book. The horror market, small press especially, is pretty heavily saturated with King. Like...VERY saturated. Jerad specializes in very small, niche titles, usually ones that have been out of print for decades. The vast majority of the stuff he publishes is not currently being covered by any other publishers and hasn't been for years. He chose Salem's Lot very early on in the history of his press because SL is his absolute favorite King work, if not his favorite genre novel of all time.

Like I said, I haven't asked Jerad about it directly and I certainly haven't discussed it with King (to whom I have absolutely no avenue of communication), but I earnestly believe that the answer to your question is "Because Centipede Press simply isn't interested in publishing King novels." Unless you have information to the contrary?

After SL, Jerad attempted to do The Shining (as confirmed by SK in the interview quoted below). It certainly is possible that Jerad dropped the idea of publishing King after this rejection, and perhaps what you say about his focus on other title is correct (you know infinitely more about Jerad/CP than I), but my impression of small presses that work with horror is that they would never voluntarily stop publishing works of King altogether as King editions help finance the rest of what they do (given his popularity). None of which should be read as a criticism of CP or any small press, and I do not downplay how good Jerad is at what he does (this seems above question); the economics are what they are and survival in the business world is a difficult thing.

On to King's quote. Although King had written a glowing note to Jerad about SL, he later (January 2007) gave an interview in which he described that edition as being overkill:

I mean…the worst one in a way and I don’t…this guy is gonna read this and be so bummed. This guy Jared Walters did Salem’s Lot in a limited. He basically fucking wore me down because he would come back every six months or so and say, “Please, please, please, please” and I’m very vulnerable to that if people, I mean, if he’d come to me and said that he wanted to do a Dollar Baby I would say, “Yes” immediately but this guy wants to do this big huge book with this, I don’t know, incredible binding done in some endangered species or something and finally the books come out and people like Frank Darabont and other collectors just loved that book and he wants to do The Shining next and so far I’ve just told him, “No”. Because it’d be another book like Salem’s Lot. It’ll weigh twenty pounds, and people will put it on their shelf and look at it and they won’t actually read it.

King's comments here notwithstanding, we know he isn't truly opposed on principal to large heavy editions of his works (hello Cemetery Dance!); accordingly, the general murmurings I've heard have been that SK won't work with Jerad for some unknown reason.

However, and perhaps most importantly, since you (Daninsky) are actually in touch with Jerad, I need to make clear that my "wondering" post was not intended to stir anyone to actually ask him; at the least, we're poking into his business, at the most, we're stoking a painful fire. My comment was very much just that of an outsider wondering about an issue within a very specific niche of the entertainment world, much as two fans might discuss how loud the drums are on a U2 album or something, without ever thinking the comment might get back to the band. I occasionally throw this out there in case someone already has the answer, but I don't want to offend or bother Jerad for something that might be painful or embarrassing etc.

slayn666
01-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Being perfectly honest, I lost some respect for King after reading that quote some years ago. It just seems intellectually dishonest; King had been allowing limited editions for decades when he said that, and he hasn't stopped in the past ten years. If anything, number of King limited released per year has gone up significantly because so many of his books are hitting the 10/20/30 year anniversary.

If he didn't want to work with Jerad, he should have either said why, or said nothing at all. Complaining about limited editions in general rings hollow when there are literally tens of thousands of the things floating around out there.

Daninsky
01-17-2017, 09:41 PM
I had never read that interview before. Thanks for posting it; completely unknown to me. I was also not aware that a CP edition of THE SHINING had ever been in the pipeline. Quite possibly before my time dealing with Centipede. But the stuff you posted here could certainly have had an impact. As I said, I'd never asked. It is probably important to bear in mind that Salem's Lot was put out in 2004, which was extremely early on in Centipede's lifetime as a press. I think it was only the second or third hardcover Jerad had ever done. His process was probably a bit rougher than it is nowadays.

That all said, I think the interview more or less clears up any mystery you may have had in your initial question. Straight from King's mouth, as it were...he refused to do any future work because he perceived Jerad to be too demanding as a publisher and he found the end product to be wasteful and ostentatious. I'm personally inclined to disagree, but I'm not King. ;)

St. Troy
01-18-2017, 12:02 AM
...It just seems intellectually dishonest; King had been allowing limited editions for decades when he said that, and he hasn't stopped in the past ten years. If anything, number of King limited released per year has gone up significantly because so many of his books are hitting the 10/20/30 year anniversary.

...Complaining about limited editions in general rings hollow when there are literally tens of thousands of the things floating around out there.

THIS.

mhatchett
01-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Well, he is doing the film studies which are interesting in their own right.

Theli
01-18-2017, 01:36 PM
I had never read that interview before. Thanks for posting it; completely unknown to me. I was also not aware that a CP edition of THE SHINING had ever been in the pipeline. Quite possibly before my time dealing with Centipede. But the stuff you posted here could certainly have had an impact. As I said, I'd never asked. It is probably important to bear in mind that Salem's Lot was put out in 2004, which was extremely early on in Centipede's lifetime as a press. I think it was only the second or third hardcover Jerad had ever done. His process was probably a bit rougher than it is nowadays.

That all said, I think the interview more or less clears up any mystery you may have had in your initial question. Straight from King's mouth, as it were...he refused to do any future work because he perceived Jerad to be too demanding as a publisher and he found the end product to be wasteful and ostentatious. I'm personally inclined to disagree, but I'm not King. ;)

He actually started work on The Shining prelims, no actual book made but had some promotion materials. Very few copies of these in print. I'll do some digging and see if I can find some photos of it. Looked promising...

I get where King was coming from, and I have read other opinions of his on limited editions (and hell he's pretty much stopped signed s/l editions altogether now) and I think he maybe targeted Jerad's work unfairly, as his was arguably the most over the top King limited edition. Perhaps his view on limited editions had slackened a bit afterwards. Jerad on the other hand probably received the rejection rather sourly, as it was harsh, though I doubt he would say much about it publicly, and is just as happy to not work with King now.

Edit: For those interested in the CP The Shining prelims, check here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18958-One-Of-A-Kind-King-Items...or-Rarely-If-Ever-Seen/page5

and here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18958-One-Of-A-Kind-King-Items...or-Rarely-If-Ever-Seen/page7

Scroll down a bit.

St. Troy
01-18-2017, 02:14 PM
...I get where King was coming from, and I have read other opinions of his on limited editions (and hell he's pretty much stopped signed s/l editions altogether now) and I think he maybe targeted Jerad's work unfairly, as his was arguably the most over the top King limited edition. Perhaps his view on limited editions had slackened a bit afterwards.

The thing is, this antipathy of King's toward limited editions has not manifested elsewhere - he has gone right on approving these things, including the 2014 $4k PS Publishing edition of Carrie that (dollarwise at least) was much more "ohmigodelitist" or whatever than CP's SL, which (I believe) initially sold for under $1k. This obvious disconnect between King's statements and actions hints at an undisclosed rationale for avoiding CP, which stokes my curiosity, especially given that CP's first and only SK work, widely hailed as one of the best SK limiteds ever, may also be its last.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm calling King a liar or hypocrite, because I'm not; I believe he (and Jerad as well, for that matter) is entitled to keep the factors behind his decisions confidential if he likes.

Tommy
01-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Maybe it is King giving the fans what they want despite his misgivings?

St. Troy
01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
For those interested in the CP The Shining prelims, check here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18958-One-Of-A-Kind-King-Items...or-Rarely-If-Ever-Seen/page5

and here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18958-One-Of-A-Kind-King-Items...or-Rarely-If-Ever-Seen/page7

Scroll down a bit.

Sheesh...how do you prevent something like this from happening? :(

Theli
01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Maybe it is King giving the fans what they want despite his misgivings?

I think that is more it than anything else. He's also quit signing books for PS, I imagine the exorbitant prices may have had something to do with it.

Sheesh...how do you prevent something like this from happening? :(

Especially with Potter's name tied to it, this could well have been the best s/l ever...

That said, Sub. Press's edition and CD's upcoming edition, and hell even Folio's edition are all tremendous renditions of the book.

St. Troy
01-18-2017, 02:24 PM
More of that SK interview, for anyone interested: http://www.liljas-library.com/showinterview.php?id=36&gt%3B

St. Troy
01-18-2017, 02:26 PM
It's all taste and this is only my opinion, but Folio Society's Shining left me completely flat (and I love the Folio Society; I own a few of their editions and have my eye on dozens more).

Theli
01-18-2017, 02:35 PM
I feel like we are hi-jacking Daninsky thread a bit, but it is a good subject for bibliophiles. I don't own the Folio edition yet, I do love the art though. I think Edward Kinsella's style is quite striking and suits the mood well (there's something elegant yet dark about it, like the Overlook). I also like the end papers, they were a minor stroke of genius in my mind. Simple but effective. I also like that each edition has it's own style of art, each artist stands on their own. I will say that the problem with Folio each of their regular print books are made the same, yet still in some ways lacking uniformity for shelf appeal. Their slipcases, though better than none, are also a bit disappointing.

Daninsky
01-18-2017, 04:19 PM
I feel like we are hi-jacking Daninsky thread a bit, but it is a good subject for bibliophiles. I don't own the Folio edition yet, I do love the art though. I think Edward Kinsella's style is quite striking and suits the mood well (there's something elegant yet dark about it, like the Overlook). I also like the end papers, they were a minor stroke of genius in my mind. Simple but effective. I also like that each edition has it's own style of art, each artist stands on their own. I will say that the problem with Folio each of their regular print books are made the same, yet still in some ways lacking uniformity for shelf appeal. Their slipcases, though better than none, are also a bit disappointing.

It is, yes. I don't mind the hi-jack, really. I'll get back to posting more pics soon anyway. But, as it is a good subject for bibliophiles, you guys might want to move it into the SK section of the site or something. No one's likely to see it and contribute to it here after I bury it in my next round of pics. :) If you move it to the SK section or the Other Publisher section, it'll be a lot more accessible for others to find and join in.

Daninsky
01-18-2017, 06:30 PM
Moving on to Subterranean Press at this point, which I have collected almost as heavily as Centipede. They don't generally quite match Centipede for production value, but some of their stuff is very very nice and they do publish a wide range of interesting authors. They also, of course, have published what I would consider the definitive and most beautiful editions of my absolute favorite, tops-all-others epic dark fantasy series, Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I'm starting off with my Lettered editions from SP. I'll do individual detailed shots of most of these, since they are Lettered editions, and then move on to the s/l portion of this collection.

Note: That missing lettered GotM by Erikson is one of the most vexing gaps in my entire collection. If anyone happens to be sitting on an elusive stand-alone copy of this book, I would love to talk you out of it. :)

Daninsky
01-18-2017, 06:40 PM
GRRM, Tim Powers, and Dan Simmons

Theli
01-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Lovely editions! I am mighty jealous of the Erikson, those are selling for quite the pretty penny now. Wish I snatched them up when they were available. I also have the Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, just the s/l edition though. But what a beautiful book!

Daninsky
01-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Lovely editions! I am mighty jealous of the Erikson, those are selling for quite the pretty penny now. Wish I snatched them up when they were available. I also have the Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, just the s/l edition though. But what a beautiful book!

Yeah I had originally only picked up the s/l of KotSK, but when it came time to ship the Lettered editions, Bill sent out an email blast announcing that they had two left over. I was lucky enough to manage to grab one. It was stupidly expensive, even at List, but is truly one of the most beautifully produced books SP has ever put out.

The demand for these Erikson editions is completely crazy. Prices are maddening to follow. They fluctuate more wildly than any other series I've collected. I really have no idea why. 80% (and that is no exaggeration) of the people I know who have purchased the SP edition have never even read the series! Which is fine and all, but i just don't understand such demand and such prices for a series of books that many of the buyers have never read. Probably why it gets bought and resold so frequently.

Camelot just listed a matched S/L set about 6 weeks ago for 2500 bucks, which was as cheap as I have ever seen it. I think it sold in less than 60 seconds after they sent the email. 9 months ago someone on Ebay paid that for GotM alone!

Theli
01-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Utterly ridiculous! I remember a few years ago you could get GotM for a couple hundred, now it's price is staggering. I think part of the attraction is having a matching set of one of the longer continuous fantasy series. The art seems really impressive so far too. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a crash eventually though.

RonClinton
01-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Very impressive acquisitions! I'm glad, though, after hearing about the prices of many of these books that fantasy fiction has (generally speaking) never appealed to me, and series less so. Between Erikson, Martin, an Abercrombie, and a similar voracious demand for others like them, such series/fiction sure has their fans.

Sock Monkey
01-19-2017, 04:56 AM
GRRM, Tim Powers, and Dan Simmons

Man, those lettered are nice. I really like Summer Of Night. I always want to buy more lettered editions, but the heavy price tags due havoc on my budget.

Daninsky
01-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Man, those lettered are nice. I really like Summer Of Night. I always want to buy more lettered editions, but the heavy price tags due havoc on my budget.

Yeah, they can be a burden to manage. A lot of mine were luck. The Moore was reduced greatly in price in a flash sale at a bookstore. The Reynolds and Ellison were both purchased directly from SP during their 24-hour sale last year, so were 50% off. The Summer of Night had a very small manufacturer's problem-a few very very light glue spots on the inside spine of the traycase. Nothing on the book itself and not at all noticeable from the outside anyway, but it got me a 50% break on the book. Still expensive, but reasonable. The GRRM and that Tim Powers were the only two I paid full retail for. All the rest came at a discount to mitigate the damage. Made it a lot easier.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words.

Daninsky
01-25-2017, 02:56 AM
Hello, friends. It's been a minute, but I finally freed up enough time to finish photographing my Subterranean Press collection for this thread. Hope y'all continue to enjoy the pics. I certainly enjoy the books. As usual, feel free to ask for closer looks on anything you want to see.

Daninsky
01-25-2017, 02:59 AM
Continuing with SP...

RonClinton
01-25-2017, 03:40 AM
Very nice...I really appreciate Sub Press' consistent nod to quality and production values. In my mind, Centipede and Sub Press are in a league of their own (and, of course, Centipede takes the Grand Prize). There are some other very nice presses out there, to be sure -- the benefactors of this forum site, for example -- but those two, in my mind, are the tops. I just wish Sub Press published less fantasy and hard sci-fi, a couple of genres that I'm just not partial to.

bugen
01-25-2017, 06:00 AM
Great stuff, thanks for the pics!

Theli
01-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Outstanding! Truly. There are many books there I would love to have in my collection. I've recently set up a new bookshelf so I have been reorganizing. Might be time to add some family pics to my thread too.

Daninsky
01-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Very nice...I really appreciate Sub Press' consistent nod to quality and production values. In my mind, Centipede and Sub Press are in a league of their own (and, of course, Centipede takes the Grand Prize). There are some other very nice presses out there, to be sure -- the benefactors of this forum site, for example -- but those two, in my mind, are the tops. I just wish Sub Press published less fantasy and hard sci-fi, a couple of genres that I'm just not partial to.

They do put out some very nice books, but typically lacking a lot of the bells and whistles Jerad works into his releases. I will admit that I read less hard sci-fi and fantasy than I used to, but I still enjoy several authors within those genres and SP tends to publish most of them. I find that horror/thriller/pulp are all a bit more to my taste these days, though if I could only bring one series of books with me to a desert island, it would be Steven Erikson entirely without question. ;) I do enjoy SP's eclecticism, though. Their catalog truly runs the gamut.

Outstanding! Truly. There are many books there I would love to have in my collection. I've recently set up a new bookshelf so I have been reorganizing. Might be time to add some family pics to my thread too.

Thanks! And you really should! I love seeing other folks' collections. This section is one of my favorite parts of the forum.

Daninsky
05-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Just updating this thread a bit after being too busy to do so for months. Here's my Clive Barker shelf. Clive is one of the (very) few authors whose work I collect with an obsessiveness I usually reserve for publishers. I have about twice this many paperbacks or trade hardcovers, but they are boxed up atm. All of the ones pictured here are signed/limited or signed/lettered. Clive Barker was my principle horror author back in the late 80's and early 90's. He tends to be a bit hit-or-miss with his work in the last 15 years, with nothing ever truly rivaling the output from his first decade, but I still find him quite readable.

Theli
05-17-2017, 02:13 AM
Very nice! Did you pre-order CD's edition of The Damnation Game?

daverob
05-17-2017, 02:16 AM
The Barker's look great! What is the red one laying flat on the upper shelf?

Daninsky
05-17-2017, 05:39 AM
Very nice! Did you pre-order CD's edition of The Damnation Game?
I did indeed! First CD book I ever ordered, actually!

The Barker's look great! What is the red one laying flat on the upper shelf?
That is the signed/limited (to 350) 25th anniversary edition of WEAVEWORLD, published by Earthling Publications back in 2012. One of the most gorgeous and sumptuous editions of his work I have ever owned. Also, not coincidentally, my lifetime favorite novel of his. :)

Sock Monkey
05-17-2017, 05:52 AM
Nice Barker collection! I currently am not in possession of a single Barker limited. :( My copy of Chiliad was used as an expensive potty pad by one of my dogs and my copy of The Scarlet Gospels was returned due to a production defect. I do have The Damnation Game on order so I'm gonna have to keep that bad boy under lock and key due to the bad Barker luck I've had.

Daninsky
11-15-2017, 08:01 PM
As of today, I have completed my collection of Thunderstorm Books' Black Voltage series. In fact, aside from a few early Lettered editions (I think I am missing three) that are quite hard to find, I now have more or less completed my entire TSB library, duplicates notwithstanding. I didn't buy Hard Rain, for example, since they were basically just cheaper versions of the same books in the BV line.

Anyway, here's some pics for those interested. I really really love this press.

Theli
11-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Man that is one sharp collection. They look great together on the shelf.

RonClinton
11-15-2017, 09:30 PM
Very cool and very impressive… Congratulations on this impressive feat! Looks great!

Brian861
11-15-2017, 11:50 PM
Congrats!

mhatchett
11-15-2017, 11:52 PM
Very Nice!!

daverob
11-16-2017, 03:05 AM
Great news! A terrific collection. Congratulations!

slayn666
11-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Hmm, some of these look very familiar...

Congrats!

Martin
11-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Great looking collection, congratulations on reaching a milestone!

Daninsky
11-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Hmm, some of these look very familiar...

Congrats!

Hah, indeed! I think I purchased/traded with at least three people in this forum in aid of completing this collection. Added benefit of making several new friends in the process!

Sock Monkey
11-18-2017, 12:29 AM
Yeah, that is one heck of a TSB collection! I'm glad that I could assist in your completion efforts. Thanks for posting the pictures!