Ziesing Insomnia Anyone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ziesing Insomnia Anyone???

Does anyone out there own a copy of the Ziesing edition of Insomnia? I have some questions for anyone who does:

I've heard that this edition has problems with the text (as compared with the ordinary (Viking, I think) edition); is this the case? If so, how bad/what issues? I intend to use this as my reading copy (looking good on the shelf is only half the job) and wouldn't want to buy it if there are issues. I don't remember where I heard about the text issues and can't find the source to repeat exactly what I think I read, frustratingly.

Also, what are the pages like, in terms of paper, illustrations (if any), printing, etc.? There don't seem to be many photos of the interior online.

FYI, I would be buying a blue gift edition, but I believe the content (for both of my questions) is the same with the red traycased edition - if you have either, you may be able to answer my question.

Thanks.
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

I have both editions, so maybe I can help.

I never heard about any issues with the text. Do you mean content-wise, like a couple of mistakes/typos, or printing? As I haven't read either editions, I wouldn't know about the first. Printing-wise, both editions look fine.

Quality wise, both editions are a top-notch production. Many collectors value this books highly. And they're right about the quality of these books. The slipcase, traycase, binding, paper, etc. etc. etc. makes these books rank amongst the better King limiteds. Unfortunately (for me) I hate the illustrations. And there are many, ranging from full-color plates to b/w drawings. Phil hale is the artist. If you google him+insomnia you can judge for yourself. Many are crazy about his stuff. I'm not. What do I know...

There's very little difference between the gift and limited. Different color binding, and the limited says it's a leather-bound, deluxe edition. I smelled both books ( ) and to me they both smell the same: leathery...
    Of course, the limited is signed.

Hope this helps!

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
      Do you mean content-wise, like a couple of mistakes/typos, or printing?
      Yes; I think the hints I heard were that this edition might have been typeset from an incomplete draft or something like that. I would expect something like that to set off alarm bells among the collector community, so I was surprised not to hear more about it (this makes me think either the issue never actually existed, or was minimal in the extreme).

Unfortunately (for me) I hate the illustrations. And there are many, ranging from full-color plates to b/w drawings. Phil hale is the artist. If you google him+insomnia you can judge for yourself.
      I did (Google) and unfortunately they are also not to my taste. Of course, they do have an edge of insanity to them, which I suppose is appropriate.

There's very little difference between the gift and limited. Different color binding, and the limited says it's a leather-bound, deluxe edition. I smelled both books ( ) and to me they both smell the same: leathery...
      Thanks much – this is helpful.
      Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Working...
      X