Boy's Life 25th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy's Life 25th Anniversary

Just announced at Subterranean Press.....Yes, I got one lol!!
    Mike
    "his week, we send the signed limited 25th anniversary edition of Robert McCammon's masterpiece, Boy's Life, to the printer. We expect copies to go quickly, so please get your order in early.

About the Book:

First published to universal acclaim in 1991, Robert McCammon's Boy's Life went on to win both the Bram Stoker and World Fantasy Awards for Best Novel. It's not hard to see why. Twenty-five years after its initial appearance, this elegiac account of small town life in the American South remains as absorbing and universally relevant as ever.

Boy's Life takes place in the lost world of Zephyr, Alabama in 1964. Its narrator/hero, Cory Mackenson, is an eleven-year-old boy about to encounter the mysteries lying beneath the surface of everyday life. At the heart of those mysteries is a brutal, inexplicable murder. An unidentified man-strangled, beaten, and handcuffed to the wheel of his car-plunges into Saxon Lake, as Cory and his horrified father look on. The murder will come to haunt them both in unimaginable ways.

Set against that violent act is a marvelously rendered account of a community, a family, and a way of life. Boy's Life is at once a closely observed portrait of day-to-day life in Zephyr-a town with more than its share of eccentric personalities-and a meditation on the power and persistence of magic. It is a book in which the quotidian realities-school, family, economic hardships-co-exist with an assortment of impossible but equally real elements: a ghost car driven by a ghostly driver, a monster that lives in the local river, a dog that returns, strangely altered, from the dead...

Beautifully written and astonishingly moving, Boy's Life is itself a piece of working magic that celebrates the magic in ordinary things, such as love, work, friendship, and play. Like this sumptuous new 25th anniversary edition, it is a work of permanent value that will continue to speak, with undiminished clarity, to future generations of readers.

The Subterranean Press edition of Boy's Life will be oversize, with a jaw-dropping wraparound dust jacket and eight interior color plates by David Ho."

Yep, I placed my reservation. Still too damn expensive, but at least it's only half as bad as Simmons' SUMMER OF NIGHT 25th S/L. Nice bonus is that while I have a signed 1st HC of both titles, BOY'S LIFE is certainly my choice of the two for a desired shelf-upgrade...so I was able to get the one I'd prefer at more friendly price.

It didn't mention any add'l text, but perhaps there will be something. I know Rick has spoken at length about the title -- the one that seems to be a favorite among his fans -- so clearly he has much to say about it...would be nice to get his thoughts included in some sort of commemorative afterword essay.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      Yep, I placed my reservation. Still too damn expensive, but at least it's only half as bad as Simmons' SUMMER OF NIGHT 25th S/L. Nice bonus is that while I have a signed 1st HC of both titles, BOY'S LIFE is certainly my choice of the two for a desired shelf-upgrade...so I was able to get the one I'd prefer at more friendly price.

It didn't mention any add'l text, but perhaps there will be something. I know Rick has spoken at length about the title -- the one that seems to be a favorite among his fans -- so clearly he has much to say about it...would be nice to get his thoughts included in some sort of commemorative afterword essay.
      I think Many of us are waiting Swan Song, at least I am!

Comment

I decided to get this one too. I liked Swan Song, but I thought Boy's Life was a lot better.

Comment

Did NOT want to spend money right now, but you can't pass up Boy's Life!

Comment

I ordered a copy as well. Though this book seems to be VERY well-loved by McCammon fans, I've actually never gotten around to reading it. Sub Press's oversized edition seems like the right way to rectify that.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
            I think Many of us are waiting Swan Song, at least I am!
            Swan Song would be awesome, though I'm assuming that the cost will be rather significant. That being said, I'm still hoping for Mystery Walk and Usher's Passing. I'm also thinking that I might need to give the Matthew Corbett books another go. I wasn't a fan of Speaks the Nightbird, but everybody loves these books so I keep getting the feeling that maybe I just overlooked something.

Comment

SWAN SONG has already had limited treatment (Dark Harvest HC, both trade and S/L), so as much as I love that book, I'm not particularly interested in double-dipping in the limited salsa for that one.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I have that one too, but Swan Song, well, I'll double dip on that one lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  I ordered a copy as well. Though this book seems to be VERY well-loved by McCammon fans, I've actually never gotten around to reading it. Sub Press's oversized edition seems like the right way to rectify that.

Swan Song would be awesome, though I'm assuming that the cost will be rather significant. That being said, I'm still hoping for Mystery Walk and Usher's Passing. I'm also thinking that I might need to give the Matthew Corbett books another go. I wasn't a fan of Speaks the Nightbird, but everybody loves these books so I keep getting the feeling that maybe I just overlooked something.
                  I love the Matthew Corbett books, not everybody's cup of tea, historical, mystery, paranormal, etc. A real mash up, but i think he mostly pulls it off. I just appreciate that the series got him writing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                    I'm also thinking that I might need to give the Matthew Corbett books another go. I wasn't a fan of Speaks the Nightbird, but everybody loves these books so I keep getting the feeling that maybe I just overlooked something.
                    Yeah, you should. I really didn't expect to like the series, as it's not at all my usual genre. I only started because it's McCammon, and I like everything else he's written. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the books - well worth reading.

Comment

237 copies left right now. It won't last long at this rate.

Comment

Read Boy's Life last year for the first time. I really enjoyed it but was a bit underwhelmed so I will pass on the limited. SOunds like Swan Song should be my next McCammon read.

Comment

Pre-ordered both the limited and lettered editions.
                          Boy's Life is far and away my #1 McCammon, so how can I pass on this?

I do own the Dark Harvest Swan Song, but wouldn't say no to the SubPress treatment of this title.

sk

Comment

I resisted this release. I've heard nothing but good things about the book, but have yet to read it, and wasn't quite willing to shell out the dough for a novel I haven't read. I'll probably end up regretting it in a year or so after I have read it though...

The lettered edition sold out QUICK. By the time I'd seen the release they were already gone.

Comment

I hate to pass but right now I have to. I would love an unsigned trade edition of this to be put out by sub. press.

Comment

Working...
                              X