PDA

View Full Version : Summer of Night

bugen
02-07-2016, 08:37 PM
The 25th anniversary edition of Summer of Night is up for sale over at SubPress. Pricey...

http://subterraneanpress.com/

Dave1442397
02-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Very pricey! If they had an unsigned printing I might go for it.

RonClinton
02-07-2016, 09:34 PM
I've been clamoring for a S/L of his book for a long while, but at $250 I think I'm probably priced out. Very, very disappointing.

bugen
02-07-2016, 09:48 PM
I hadn't looked too closely at the art...wow.

Martin
02-07-2016, 10:05 PM
I would be very interested in the book, but not at that price.

RonClinton
02-07-2016, 10:20 PM
I would be very interested in the book, but not at that price.

$150 would probably have been my price cap for this edition.

'Course, that said, I still have this going on...

Martin
02-07-2016, 10:48 PM
$150 would probably have been my price cap for this edition.

'Course, that said, I still have this going on...

I would be there at $150, at $250 I can move on and not look back.

bsaenz24
02-08-2016, 12:40 AM
I would love to get it, but I can't do $250 for a limited. Of course, I think the art is going to be fantastic base don the few shown, so congrats to all who go for it.

adman75
02-08-2016, 01:48 PM
This is a real shame because Summer of Night is one of my top five all time favorite novels. But $250 is waaaayyyy too much. It's very disappointing. I can't justify that type of price for a limited. I love Subterranean's books, but it seems that their pricing has been all over the place recently. Remember the unsigned Silence of the Lambs last year? So disappointed.

Sock Monkey
02-08-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm with everyone in thinking that $250 is pretty darn expensive for the limited. But there's 26 people who didn't think that $750 for the lettered was too much as that bad boy has already sold out. To Sub Press's credit, at least they know their price for this book is pricey and commented on it their newsletter today:

"First up, we know the price on Summer of Night is steep, but this is one of those titles where everything was over-the-top expensive because of the legendary status of the book. We aim to produce a volume that sits proudly on the shelf with our recent releases, Rogues and The Silence of the Lambs."

I am still trying to decide if I should get a copy or not. At first I was completely turned off by the price and was with Ron and Martin in that if the book was priced at $150, I would be all over it. Then I realized that I had spent around that price for the Artist Editions of Carrie, Salem's Lot, and The Shining, and, at least for me, Summer of Night ranks up there with those classics (it actually beats out Carrie, which has never been my favorite King book).

In other news, Sub Press also announced a limited of This Year's Class Picture by Simmons. This 54-page novella will set you back $50 bucks. Which, if you do the math, actually costs more per page ($1.08 vs $0.47) than Summer of Night. Just an interesting thought and not a complaint of any sorts.

RonClinton
02-08-2016, 06:30 PM
This 54-page novella will set you back $50 bucks. Which, if you do the math, actually costs more per page ($1.08 vs $0.47) than Summer of Night.

Someone's trying really hard to justify purchasing SUMMER OF NIGHT. ;)

Don't feel bad, though...I am, too. Not there yet, but...

Sock Monkey
02-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Someone's trying really hard to justify purchasing SUMMER OF NIGHT. ;)

Don't feel bad, though...I am, too. Not there yet, but...

So true...:)

bugen
02-08-2016, 09:05 PM
This just in, posted by Bill on The Dark Tower, if it helps some on the fence:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12187-The-Collectible-Dan-Simmons&p=979505#post979505

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who's ponied up for SUMMER OF NIGHT and THIS YEAR'S CLASS PICTURE this week. They're doing well, but one thing we're hearing is that SUMMER, in particular, is stressing folks' budgets, which was not our intention. So, for the next four days, we're offering $50 off any order of $250 or greater (not including postage). If you've already spent that much this week, you'll get a refund in the next few days.

You need do nothing to take advantage of the order. It'll be applied automatically to qualifying orders. A couple points to keep in mind:

1. You must be signed in to your account on our site to take advantage of this order.
2. Limit of one discount per person/account.
3. This special is good for all in print and forthcoming titles.

That's all. I hope this'll bring SUMMER into more folks' comfort level. But don't delay too long. Between direct and dealer orders, the lettered is sold out, and fifty percent of the numbered copies are spoken for.

Best,

Bill

Sock Monkey
02-08-2016, 11:00 PM
I noticed a discount was popping up earlier when I almost pulled the trigger and put the book in my cart. I didn't know if it was a glitch or whatnot. Very cool of them to offer it and thanks for sharing, bugen. Still trying to decide, though. The fifty buck difference does actually make a difference, but it would wipe out my remaining budget for this month and next. Maybe I can convince my wife she should get it for me for Valentine's Day...

mhatchett
02-09-2016, 12:28 AM
The 25th anniversary edition of Summer of Night is up for sale over at SubPress. Pricey...

http://subterraneanpress.com/

Have to put the brakes on sometime LOl!!

Brian861
02-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Maybe I can convince my wife she should get it for me for Valentine's Day...

Good luck with that one, Keith! I'd hedge my bet if I were you :)

Have to put the brakes on sometime LOl!!

My foot/feet usually end up through the floorboard :-/.

bsaenz24
02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Maybe I can convince my wife she should get it for me for Valentine's Day...

If you pull off that miracle, maybe you can ask your wife to convince MY wife to get me one! LOL!

Brian James Freeman
02-09-2016, 03:10 PM
I hadn't looked too closely at the art...wow.

I absolutely LOVE David Palumbo's artwork. He did an amazing job on 'Salem's Lot for us, too.

Brian

slayn666
02-09-2016, 04:03 PM
The price has effectively been lowered by $50 for the next day or so if you order through SubPress (and if you already did, you should get a $50 refund).

Note that this is a $50 off of $250+ sale, not an actual price reduction. It's also good for any purchase of at least $250 with the usual SubPress caveats.

Sock Monkey
02-09-2016, 06:38 PM
If you pull off that miracle, maybe you can ask your wife to convince MY wife to get me one! LOL!

Unfortunately, there was no miracle being pulled off at my house. I even tried the whole "Don't do it just for me, do it to set a precedent for all the other poor souls out there who are trying to convince their significant others to buy them this book."

That argument was summarily dismissed. I filed a Motion For Appeal, but things don't look so good...

Sock Monkey
02-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Has anybody pulled the trigger on this? I'm not just on the fence, I've pretty much set up camp and might be inviting friends over for game night.

bsaenz24
02-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Your efforts are appreciated.

Sock Monkey
02-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Your efforts are appreciated.

I do what I can. :)

Sock Monkey
02-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Has anybody pulled the trigger on this? I'm not just on the fence, I've pretty much set up camp and might be inviting friends over for game night.

So Brian must have read this post and decided to help me out by knocking me off the fence with this tidbit from CD:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL OFFER FOR COLLECTORS:
If you order Summer of Night through our online store before NOON on Thursday, you'll qualify for a free $60 coupon code that can be used toward the purchase of ANYTHING on our website including items that normally cannot be ordered with coupons! If you've already placed your order, don't worry, you're already on the list for the special coupon deal! These coupons will be emailed out next week after we confirm our orders. Thank you!

So I placed my order. :) :) I might have to move things around a bit to make it work with my budget--and finally get around to selling some doubles of books that I have-- but in the end it is SUMMER OF NIGHT.

mhatchett
02-09-2016, 08:28 PM
I have to stay strong, I'm getting the Woolrich set. I have a very nice 1st ed hardback, it'll do!

RonClinton
02-09-2016, 09:14 PM
I have to stay strong, I'm getting the Woolrich set. I have a very nice 1st ed hardback, it'll do!

Me, too -- on all three points! The Woolrich set, along with recent (as in the last month or so) splurges like a half-dozen Ash-Tree Press books in one buy and picking up THE COMPLETE KANE (Wagner, Centipede) off eBay and IT ONLY COMES OUT AT NIGHT (Etchison, Centipede) and a couple big upcoming buys...not only is the Simmons book awfully damn expensive for a Sub Press / Simmons book -- whether it's $200 or $250 -- it's just coming at a bad time for my budget, which has already been obliterated, as the aforementioned purchases suggest.

frik51
02-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Don't know how to be strong....don't care about being strong, so I ordered both the numbered and lettered edition.
It's one of my favorite Simmons novels, so I find it impossible not to buy.

sk

bsaenz24
02-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Don't know how to be strong....don't care about being strong, so I ordered both the numbered and lettered edition.
It's one of my favorite Simmons novels, so I find it impossible not to buy.

sk

It's a tie with Carrion Comfort for me, but it IS a great book!

frik51
02-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Carrion Comfort is definitely my #1.

sk

bsaenz24
02-10-2016, 08:01 PM

sk

I expect someone will do it someday.

Julzz
02-10-2016, 10:47 PM
I have not yet read Dan Simmons and looking at the reviews online Summer Night's been getting rave reviews. Might just bite on this but arrgghh so many books on my list but so little funds left lol.

frik51
02-11-2016, 05:01 AM

sk

I expect someone will do it someday.

Dark Harvest of course already did, but that won't stop another publisher (SubPress?) for having another go.
I wouldn't mind in the least.

sk

Dave1442397
02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Some info from Dan's site on the Dark Harvest edition of Carrion Comfort - http://www.dansimmons.com/art/dan_art3.htm

Here's Dan's intro to the 20th Anniversary Edition, where he talks about the speculator who bought 1,000 copies of the Dark Harvest edition - pretty funny http://preview.tinyurl.com/jgpyuwq

slayn666
02-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Here's Dan's intro to the 20th Anniversary Edition, where he talks about the speculator who bought 1,000 copies of the Dark Harvest edition - pretty funny http://preview.tinyurl.com/jgpyuwq

I may have some issues with Dan, but that is both awesome and hilarious.

bsaenz24
02-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Ok, everybody loved Summer of Night, but any thoughts on A Winter Haunting? It's been a while since I read it, but I don't recall liking it too much.

frik51
02-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Same here. I did read it, but it didn't make much of an impression.

sk

RonClinton
02-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Ok, everybody loved Summer of Night, but any thoughts on A Winter Haunting? It's been a while since I read it, but I don't recall liking it too much.

Yes, also not a fan of that sequel. I understand it was a book all its own with its own themes, etc. that were very different than SUMMER OF NIGHT -- but even approaching it as standalone, so to speak, it wasn't one of my favorite Simmons, by any stretch.

bookworm 1
02-12-2016, 12:42 AM
I actually read winter before summer. Have the same feeling. I am passing on Summer as it is way to pricey .

Sock Monkey
02-12-2016, 04:03 PM
It's such a different book and Summer of Night casts such a long shadow. It's been a long while since I read it, but I remember it being okay. I also read it before I had read Summer so I don't think I got a lot of the back story. I've been meaning to revisit it again. Maybe after a reread of Summer.

Sock Monkey
02-25-2016, 05:06 AM
So Brian must have read this post and decided to help me out by knocking me off the fence with this tidbit from CD:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL OFFER FOR COLLECTORS:
If you order Summer of Night through our online store before NOON on Thursday, you'll qualify for a free $60 coupon code that can be used toward the purchase of ANYTHING on our website including items that normally cannot be ordered with coupons! If you've already placed your order, don't worry, you're already on the list for the special coupon deal! These coupons will be emailed out next week after we confirm our orders. Thank you!

So I placed my order. :) :) I might have to move things around a bit to make it work with my budget--and finally get around to selling some doubles of books that I have-- but in the end it is SUMMER OF NIGHT.

Have the coupons for this already been sent out? I never received one.

Brian James Freeman
02-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Have the coupons for this already been sent out? I never received one.

Huh, they should have been, but I'm not seeing them in the master outbox, so I'll resend the note to Mindy to load up and send today or tomorrow! Thanks for the heads-up!

Sock Monkey
02-25-2016, 11:46 PM
I received my coupon! Thanks, Brian! As usual, you guys rock!

Dave1442397
06-27-2016, 06:29 PM
With the Sub Press 50% off sale, this one is down to $125.

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/summer_of_night