Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornell Woolrich

Hi Everybody,
    Centipede has rolled out the artwork and shipping dates for Woolrich's "Black" novels on their website. They look great, so hold back some holiday cash!
    Mike

I haven't looked into any of his works yet. CP has quite a roster of his works though. Where would you recommend starting?

Comment

I really regret missing out on the first five books of Woolrich that Centipede released. I want to get in on this one, but at 7 (!) books, I don't know if my wallet can afford it. I might have to pick out 2 or 3 if they are offered separately. Anybody have any suggestions of which ones to go for?

Comment

I'm actually a little dismayed by the huge releases CP have been doing and proposing recently. It's nice to have a big set, but for other than the wealthiest collector it's tough to constantly be able to afford huge 5-7 book sets. The proposed Moorcock set is gonna break the bank, and it'll probably be the same for the Leiber set, but I want them so bad!

Comment

Oh Brother, I know what you mean. I'm passing on the Moorcock set. I am getting the Kane set and I'll pick the Leiber set up as well. Everything else will have to wait. At least they're coming out after Xmas Ho, Ho, Ho lol!!

Comment

I would start with Speak to Me of Death: The Selected Short Fiction of Cornell Woolrich, Volume 1. Pretty fast read and you can get the flavor of his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
              Oh Brother, I know what you mean. I'm passing on the Moorcock set. I am getting the Kane set and I'll pick the Leiber set up as well. Everything else will have to wait. At least they're coming out after Xmas Ho, Ho, Ho lol!!
              Well at least for the Moorcock set there's no due date, so I should have sometime to prepare, but the proposed plan is still for a $500+ set. Which is a bit much for me, despite how much I love his works.

I would start with Speak to Me of Death: The Selected Short Fiction of Cornell Woolrich, Volume 1. Pretty fast read and you can get the flavor of his stuff.
              Great, I'll look into it! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                I'm actually a little dismayed by the huge releases CP have been doing and proposing recently. It's nice to have a big set, but for other than the wealthiest collector it's tough to constantly be able to afford huge 5-7 book sets. The proposed Moorcock set is gonna break the bank, and it'll probably be the same for the Leiber set, but I want them so bad!
                I agree. I wish Centipede would release these sets over a span of time similar to what they are doing with the Lafferty series. While it's nice to get all the books in one shot, the price tags these larger sets command can be rather intimidating.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. That's kinda where I was thinking of starting. Now to find a copy for a halfway decent price...

Comment

Woolrich set went on pre-sale this morning.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

And if you're interested in the first centipede set, some of them are on sale on ebay. Looks like some paperback copies, but the prices seem reasonable.
                      Mike

Comment

So very tempted with this set. The $350 price tag for all seven books is reasonable when broken down per book. Still. I can't swing that amount unless I want sleep on the couch for a while. I am leaning toward picking up The Bride Wore Black and either Stories to be Whispered or Rendezvous in Black. Then again, maybe I'll just pass on those and get the Thompson set while its still on sale. Feeling pretty indecisive today...

The only bad thing about not picking up Centipede Press books right away is once they sell out at the publisher, asking prices tend to go sky high. I've seen people ask $200 for Children of the Black Sabbath (though you can still pick it up at Camelot for issue price) and $250 for It Only Comes Out at Night by Etchison. Both books were like $50-$65 from the publisher when first announced.

Comment

The last set of Woolrich books didn't seem to go up in price much though. So you never know.

Comment

Some of the crime titles seem to appreciate at a bit slower rate...I think it's because people are dolts lol!!

Comment

I picked up a set as soon as they were available to order. The price-tag stung, no doubt about that, but for me these are must-haves.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                              X