PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance Book Club 7

slayn666
10-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, I just got an email about the latest book club and I'm a bit confused. The email includes this bit:

"Not everyone in the Book Club will be receiving the exact same books, so if we email you to say a Book Club selection is shipping to you, please be aware that other members may not be receiving that same title if you post publicly about it."

Can you expand on that? I don't quite understand why there would be different books sent out since membership was capped and it wouldn't make sense to include books that either did not have enough unsold copies left or the print run was not large enough to accommodate all members. It also seems like having members get different sets of books leaves the door wide open for potentially unhappy customers (unless we get to pick which books we get, which doesn't seem to be the case).

TacomaDiver
10-27-2015, 04:45 PM
I thought that that wording was weird too.

khaos
10-27-2015, 06:19 PM
I thought everyone would be getting the same books. Really just hoping I get some books I like since I bought into this blindly not knowing what was coming.

Brian James Freeman
10-27-2015, 07:06 PM
There were three slots where we wouldn't have enough books for every member.

For two of those titles, we substituted two previous Not For Sale books that those 25 customers did not have on order that we have extras of due to cancellations. We also did that same substitution for members of a particular series subscription, so they would not receive duplicates.

For the third slot, we split two books between the membership, so 100 people receive one title and 100 receive the other. Those were automatically assigned based on when you ordered and no preorders were checked.

We did this extra work to make the membership more rewarding for everyone. It took nearly 30 hours of work to make those substitutions, but we think it will make the deal even better for our collectors!

Brian

bsaenz24
10-27-2015, 07:43 PM
There were three slots where we wouldn't have enough books for every member.

For two of those titles, we substituted two previous Not For Sale books that those 25 customers did not have on order that we have extras of due to cancellations. We also did that same substitution for members of a particular series subscription, so they would not receive duplicates.

For the third slot, we split two books between the membership, so 100 people receive one title and 100 receive the other. Those were automatically assigned based on when you ordered and no preorders were checked.

We did this extra work to make the membership more rewarding for everyone. It took nearly 30 hours of work to make those substitutions, but we think it will make the deal even better for our collectors!

Brian

Thanks for the effort Brian. CD always goes above and beyond!!

Brian861
10-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Personally, I'm stoked about two of the announced books :D. This is my first time buying into it so honestly I'm just looking forward to being surprised. My thought when I bought into it was the thrill of the unknowns lurking inside of said box. A duplicate kinda would suck but I can always try to pawn it off on one you poor saps ;) or eBay or maybe even a trade if someone wanted a book someone else got and vise-versa. You know, kinda like old school lunch trades. "What did your mom (CD) give you, wanna trade?" :cool:

Martin
10-28-2015, 12:21 AM
I purchase all the book clubs and many of the grab bags. I have received a handful of duplicates over the years. However that number pales in comparison of the number of fantastic authors I have been introduced to by getting books I would otherwise not have ordered. Discovering authors like Kealan Patrick Burke, Simon Clark, Ed Gorman, Brian Keene and Ronald Kelly to name a few make these offers irresistible to me!

TacomaDiver
10-28-2015, 01:54 AM
This is the first time that one been able to purchase this offering. I know that I'll end up with a bunch of books from authors that I've either never heard of, or haven't read before. But I'm ok with that and am excited about the opportunity to meet new authors.

And to think - a few years ago I was worried about running out of things to read.

bookworm 1
10-28-2015, 02:29 AM
I have enjoyed the book club in the past. I like this way of doing it. Lots of extra work for the Cemetery Dance staff but they are great people who are always looking out for their customers. I have only missed the first book club. I also have been introduced to many new writers through the book club. Two are now must read authors for me. Edward Lee and Ray Garton.

bsaenz24
10-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Ray Garton and Simon Clark are my two favorite authors discovered through CD

Sock Monkey
10-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Brian, for the clarification in regards to the book club! I'm also very excited about the email received yesterday. I agree with everyone else in saying that the book clubs are some of the best deals around. Kealan Patrick Burke is by far my favorite author that I've found through Cemetery Dance.

Brian James Freeman
10-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Brian, for the clarification in regards to the book club!

No problem! We should have been more clear in the note, but for some reason I thought we had sent out what I said above in a previous update, but apparently I just MEANT to do that and forgot, hence the truncated and confusing wording.

Brian

Martin
10-28-2015, 09:31 PM
No problem! We should have been more clear in the note, but for some reason I thought we had sent out what I said above in a previous update, but apparently I just MEANT to do that and forgot, hence the truncated and confusing wording.

Brian

i believe it was mentioned by you on the TDT forum but never sent out in an email. Considering all the ways you have to communicate the information I am shocked there is not more confusion. Kudo's to the entire CD team on always making an effort to get the info out their!

bookworm 1
12-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Got my shipping notice today for the book club. Very pleased and a little confused. Love the selections except for 2. No not because I don't want them but the wording on what they are is a bit confusing. Can't wait to see what is in the box and figure out what they are.

Brian James Freeman
12-15-2015, 12:45 AM
Got my shipping notice today for the book club. Very pleased and a little confused. Love the selections except for 2. No not because I don't want them but the wording on what they are is a bit confusing. Can't wait to see what is in the box and figure out what they are.

Ha, email me your shipping confirmation at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com or PM it to me here and I can probably figure those two out for you!

Brian

bookworm 1
12-15-2015, 02:00 AM
Email sent. But don't rush. I am intrigued by the mystery
Ha, email me your shipping confirmation at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com or PM it to me here and I can probably figure those two out for you!

Brian

Martin
12-15-2015, 02:12 AM

I share your confusion but like both authors involved so I am good with whatever they are.

P.S. Brian no research needed for me as I am happy to wait and see.

bookworm 1
12-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Glad I am not alone in this. this I too love both authors and am excited to see what they are.
I share your confusion but like both authors involved so I am good with whatever they are.

P.S. Brian no research needed for me as I am happy to wait and see.

Dan Hocker
12-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Ok since these are going out now I thought I'd just post the list.

1. The Angels by Rio Youers
2. Bastion by Simon Clark
3. Bad Dog by Tom Piccirilli
4. The Night of the Triffids by Simon Clark
5. Backshot by Ed Gorman
6. Backshot by Tom Piccirilli
7. The Dark Tower Companion by Bev Vincent

Some people may have already had Angels, Bastion, and / or Dark Tower Companion on order. If you had these on order before purchasing the book club you will be getting something different for those books, and your book club shipment will ship as soon as the last book arrives for that group. Which depending how the holidays go at the printer should hopefully be by the end of January. I don't want to announce what those 3 other books are at the moment though.

I would assume the confusion lies with the two Backshot books.

jsweet
12-15-2015, 03:37 PM

5. Backshot by Ed Gorman

Some people may have already had Angels, Bastion, and / or Dark Tower Companion on order. If you had these on order before purchasing the book club you will be getting something different for those books, and your book club shipment will ship as soon as the last book arrives for that group. Which depending how the holidays go at the printer should hopefully be by the end of January. I don't want to announce what those 3 other books are at the moment though.

Thanks for sharing. Explains why I haven't heard anything yet. Have a copy of Dark Tower on order.

TacomaDiver
12-16-2015, 12:51 AM
Thanks for sharing. Explains why I haven't heard anything yet. Have a copy of Dark Tower on order.

Same for me. Glad to know that I'll be seeing something different and not just getting two copies of the same book.

Looking at the mist of authors, I believe that I've only read one author before so this will be a great introduction to some new authors.

slayn666
12-16-2015, 02:21 AM
Are these still in the process of being shipped? I haven't gotten a notice yet...

Dan Hocker
12-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Are these still in the process of being shipped? I haven't gotten a notice yet...

Mostly done. There may be one or two stragglers. You may also be in the second group that hasn't shipped yet as noted a couple posts ago. If you PM me your information I can look into it for you.

Sock Monkey
12-16-2015, 03:03 PM

5. Backshot by Ed Gorman

I'm pretty happy with this list of books. I've recently become a fan of Ed Gorman so I'm happy to get more from him. I already have Bad Dog and Night of the Triffids from the Forthcoming Grab Bag, but I guess I can use them for trade...or maybe Christmas gifts.

bsaenz24
12-16-2015, 03:20 PM
I love Simon Clark! Two new titles from him works for me!!

khaos
12-16-2015, 06:02 PM
I ordered "7. The Dark Tower Companion by Bev Vincent after I ordered the book club". Should I cancel that order? This is all new to me. I also haven't received any shipping notices other than that a book different from these was supposed to ship in October but even that email was confusing as it said that book was part of book club 4.

Brian861
12-16-2015, 07:56 PM

5. Backshot by Ed Gorman

Received my shipping notice today and I too have The Dark Tower Companion on order. I've emailed Mindy to see if that's actually the book I'll be getting or will it be another in it's place and The Dark Tower Companion is just listed as default.

jsweet
12-16-2015, 07:57 PM

And now I'm even more confused ... I just received a shipping notice for Book Club including Dark Tower Companion, which I already had on order ...

Dan Hocker
12-16-2015, 07:58 PM
I ordered "7. The Dark Tower Companion by Bev Vincent after I ordered the book club". Should I cancel that order? This is all new to me. I also haven't received any shipping notices other than that a book different from these was supposed to ship in October but even that email was confusing as it said that book was part of book club 4.

You may not need to. PM or email me your order info so I can check on it for you.

Brian James Freeman
12-16-2015, 08:28 PM
If you do receive The Dark Tower Companion twice because of the Book Club, just email Mindy about sending one back and we'll send you The Dark Tower Concordance instead when we receive them from the printer. (Just make sure you reference this post when you email her because she's juggling a lot and it'll help her make the exchange in the system. I think the official exchange code is BRIANSCREWEDITUP or something like that!)

If someone had both on order, there really wasn't anything we could do, unfortunately, since we wanted to get all of the Book Club orders filled sooner than later and there was nothing else comparable to swap.

Brian

TacomaDiver
12-17-2015, 12:50 AM
So because I already had both Dark Tower books ordered, I'm just going to end up with a duplicate of one of them?

Not a big deal - just want to make sure I understand what is happening. I bought them both during the 50% off July sale back in oh-13 so I should be able to make my money back I'd imagine.

bookworm 1
12-17-2015, 02:37 AM
Same here on having both ordered. All it means is I have an extra cool gift to give to someone down the road. I usually use my doubles for gifts for my dad and father in law . Also my brother in law .

Brian861
12-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Same here on having both ordered. All it means is I have an extra cool gift to give to someone down the road. I usually use my doubles for gifts for my dad and father in law . Also my brother in law .

In the same boat as well but agreed on gifting the extra. I have a buddy who just started reading The Dark Tower Series this year so either one would make an awesome surprise gift :D. I'll get him hooked on SK yet lol.

slayn666
12-17-2015, 08:40 PM
The latest email says all the books are signed - who signed Tom's books? I suppose it's possible that you've been sitting on signed sheets for a while, but it's my understanding that those are usually one of the very last things acquired before a book goes to the printer, so it seems unlikely...

Brian James Freeman
12-17-2015, 08:51 PM
The latest email says all the books are signed - who signed Tom's books? I suppose it's possible that you've been sitting on signed sheets for a while, but it's my understanding that those are usually one of the very last things acquired before a book goes to the printer, so it seems unlikely...

Tom Piccirilli signed them.

Brian

slayn666
12-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Well that's awesome.

slayn666
12-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Kind of a random question: Since it seems that many of the books included are parts of sets, are you guys trying to match numbers (assuming they're numbered)? Like the two Backshot titles, or the two titles from the novella series.

Brian James Freeman
12-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Kind of a random question: Since it seems that many of the books included are parts of sets, are you guys trying to match numbers (assuming they're numbered)? Like the two Backshot titles, or the two titles from the novella series.

I don't believe the BACKSHOT books are numbered, and for the Novella Series, what we did was email the Book Club when those were announced, so anyone who wanted/needed matching numbers for the rest of their set could request them. Otherwise, I think they're random.

Brian

Sock Monkey
12-20-2015, 05:18 AM
Really curious about (and excited for) the two Backshot books. Is there any kind of back story to these books? The titles are interesting given that the only difference is the year dates in the title. Is this a one-off project or will we see more Backshot titles in the future?

I also wouldn't mind just more Ed Gorman. :)

Martin
12-22-2015, 02:12 AM
Received my book club shipment today and am very happy with the assortment. The two Backshot titles continue to baffle me. The descriptions are very different but both have cover art by Caniglia and have very similar designs. Interested in seeing if these are related or if more are coming in the future.

LivEviL
12-24-2015, 12:17 AM
Hello. First time poster, glad to be here. :D I got my notice today that my grab bag has shipped but I still haven't heard anything back from the book club. Are they still shipping out orders? Your books are worth the wait, just curious. Thank you.

Dan Hocker
12-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Hello. First time poster, glad to be here. :D I got my notice today that my grab bag has shipped but I still haven't heard anything back from the book club. Are they still shipping out orders? Your books are worth the wait, just curious. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the board. Half have shipped, the other half are waiting for two different books to arrive since there wasn't enough of the first group to go around. Both are already at the printer, one of which is done or just about done. I'm not sure how close the other one is to being done, but soon hopefully.

Brian861
12-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the madness, LivEvil :cool:. You can checkout anytime you like, but you can never leave..... ;)

LivEviL
12-29-2015, 06:43 PM
Thank You Dan. I will keep my eye out for a "books have sent" e-mail. Received my "final grab bag for 2015" today. Very happy with that. If I haven't heard anything by 3-4 weeks I will check back. :D Take care.

LivEviL
12-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the madness, LivEvil :cool:. You can checkout anytime you like, but you can never leave..... ;)

Thanks good to be here. I love collecting rare and signed books and Cemetery Dance definitely dominates in my collection. :D

Julzz
02-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Any updates on when this is being shipped out? I'm pretty stoked about this.

Dan Hocker
02-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Any updates on when this is being shipped out? I'm pretty stoked about this.

We're still waiting on one book to arrive from the printer. I would expect it to be soon though. I just can't give a concrete answer.

paperdragon
02-05-2016, 05:09 PM
I received my shipping notice with tracking number 9449010200882808598140 for this on 11/23, but no books ever arrived and there never was any updates on the tracking other then it was picked up from you. I inquired a couple of times but was told CD was looking into it, Am I part of the group still waiting on the other books?

Dan Hocker
02-05-2016, 05:26 PM
I received my shipping notice with tracking number 9449010200882808598140 for this on 11/23, but no books ever arrived and there never was any updates on the tracking other then it was picked up from you. I inquired a couple of times but was told CD was looking into it, Am I part of the group still waiting on the other books?

It's possible. PM me your order information and I can look.

slayn666
03-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Any update for the folks in the second group?

Dan Hocker
03-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Any update for the folks in the second group?

Not yet. Still waiting on that last book. I was hoping it'd be here by now.

Brian James Freeman
03-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Not yet. Still waiting on that last book. I was hoping it'd be here by now.

Soon, I hope!

Brian

slayn666
03-08-2016, 12:25 AM
Thanks guys!

Smarz
03-08-2016, 04:49 PM
I purchased the book club package on August 2015. I suppose, having received nothing, I'm in the "second group"?

Dan Hocker
03-08-2016, 06:14 PM
I purchased the book club package on August 2015. I suppose, having received nothing, I'm in the "second group"?

I would assume so.

slayn666
03-26-2016, 08:22 PM
So..many..packing...peanuts...

Brian861
03-27-2016, 09:21 AM
So..many..packing...peanuts...

Better than too few.....