The Martian Limited Edition:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Martian Limited Edition:

Subterranean Press has announced a signed limited edition of The Martian. THey are even offering it at a reasonable price of $75.00.

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/p...il/the_martian

I'm getting this one too. I already sent an email Camelot.
    Mike

Comment

I wasn't familiar with the cover artists name, but after a quick google search, I'm a huge fan.

Pre-orderd this and Sub's edition of Ready Player One. $75 for each is VERY reasonable.

Comment

Picked up a copy of The Martian and Ready Player One as well.

Comment

I have the UK signed/limited HC, so on a purely selfish level I was a bit dismayed to see this new S/L which will inevitably cut into the value of mine...but as a big fan of the book I'm glad to see it receive the deluxe treatment in yet another S/L.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            I have the UK signed/limited HC, so on a purely selfish level I was a bit dismayed to see this new S/L which will inevitably cut into the value of mine...but as a big fan of the book I'm glad to see it receive the deluxe treatment in yet another S/L.
            I kept eyeballing the UK edition and was sad to see its secondary market price skyrocket once the movie's trailer hit. So this edition was a nice surprise. Lower print run, what I'm sure to be an amazing cover and production value. I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              In some ways, books are getting as bad as comics used to be. I tend not to worry too much about the values, I stayed well away form the GRRM madness, just get what you like and you'll come out ahead in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                In some ways, books are getting as bad as comics used to be. I tend not to worry too much about the values, I stayed well away form the GRRM madness, just get what you like and you'll come out ahead in the long run.
                Oh, I completely agree...I was speaking more in the abstract than the practical...I don't plan to sell, so in the end value is kind of moot.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Hey, nothing wrong with wanting your collection to grow in value, but you know market trends are so fickle. I know what you mean about not selling, I think that will be left up to my kids lol!

Comment

Passing on both The Martian and Ready Player One. I debated on The Martian for a while, but it's not on the top of my must-have list and with so many other high-priced books vying for my attention (here's looking at you, Centipede press with your David Case and Karl Edward Wagner titles), I just can't justify spending the money. Ready Player One just isn't my cup of tea, so that's an easy pass.

Comment

I'm also passing. I wasn't wowed by either, and I'm not going to spend that much just for books that will, I feel, just be a brief flash in the pan of pop culture.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                        I'm also passing. I wasn't wowed by either, and I'm not going to spend that much just for books that will, I feel, just be a brief flash in the pan of pop culture.

I picked up both through Camelot, haven't read either yet. I don't know about flash in the pan, 1st/1st of Ready Player One are not easy to find right now, going for about $200. Steven Spielberg is doing the film version. And Ridley Scott is doing The Martian with a great cast.

Comment

My point is that they won't have staying power. Ready Player One is only popular because it poked the nostalgia gland of 80s kids, not because it's a good book (it's not). Interest will be high until about a month after the movie comes out, then I expect prices will start dropping because bad books do not generally maintain their value in the long term. It may not even take that long if Armada isn't good.

I may be wrong about the The Martian, though, because the analog I keep wanting to go to is Jurassic Park - sci-fi for people that do not typically read sci-fi - and that, obviously, has staying power.

Comment

Passed on The Martian, which I liked quite a bit, mainly for it's pacing and Watney's inability to give up.

Picked up Ready Player One, and would probably have purchased a lettered if I'd had the chance. I felt it to be quite strong, but admittedly am a member of the video game generation the book is targeting.
                            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I've bought too many limiteds this year, from Robert McCammon to George R.R. Martin to Dan Simmons....Steven Erikson...(no King limited yet... )

For the moment - enough is enough.

sk

Comment

Working...
                              X