PDA

View Full Version : Chapbook Artwork Contest

Dan Hocker
06-02-2011, 04:43 PM
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/djudd/artist4.jpg

This is the discussion thread for the Chapbook Artwork Contest

CLICK HERE to view the announcement (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?247)

bsaenz24
06-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Damn!! That is a great idea!! Good luck to all of the artists lurking on the boards!!

Ben Staad
06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Very cool! I hope there are some talented folks out there.

the_last_gunslinger
06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Nice idea. Unfortunately, this is one facet of the competition I am going to sit out, me being completely untalented and all.

fmancino
06-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Wow! That's so exciting, I got no art talent, I fit into the writing category, LOL!

ozmosis7
06-02-2011, 08:26 PM
I am so glad I finally found this forum! Thanks for all of these incredible opportunities.

ozmosis7
06-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Question. Are we to incorporate the titles into the artwork? I sounds like you just want the background images, but I thought I should make sure.

Brian James Freeman
06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Question. Are we to incorporate the titles into the artwork? I sounds like you just want the background images, but I thought I should make sure.

Thanks for asking! *Just* the images for the contest. We'll have our designer add the titles, etc... although a clever artist might be careful to leave appropriate space for the title! ;)

Brian

ozmosis7
06-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Excellent! Thank you. Will be sending my entry shortly as RGB jpgs. I figured if there was any issue with file format the artist would be contacted afterwards. Good luck to all that enter and thanks again for providing the opportunity.

keithminnion
06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
It might be safer to submit your jpegs in CMYK format rather than RGB. That way CD will have the option of specifying either four-color process printing or full digital multicolor printing for the covers. Just a suggestion.

ozmosis7
06-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Oops! I already sent in RGB. Do you all want me to resubmit in CMYK?

Dan Hocker
06-03-2011, 02:16 PM
You're fine. We may ask for a different format if your artwork wins, but until then this format is fine.

keithminnion
06-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I meant "winning" file. Sorry for intruding.

Brian James Freeman
06-03-2011, 03:51 PM
It might be safer to submit your jpegs in CMYK format rather than RGB. That way CD will have the option of specifying either four-color process printing or full digital multicolor printing for the covers. Just a suggestion.

Just an aside: If anyone is ever looking for tips on artwork and publishing, you should check out what Keith has to say -- he's probably forgotten more about printing and artwork and the publishing business than most of us will ever know! :)

Brian

ozmosis7
06-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Good to know, and thanks for the advice all. I have done some book covers for smaller presses (some posted on my website if you want to take a gander), but the sources they go through often use RGB over CMYK. I myself come from a long history in the printing industry as a Graphics Designer, so it always poses a bit of a quandary for me when someone asks for RGB LOL.

Tree705
06-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Well I don't think stick figures will win so I'll pass on this contest.

Beambounder
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I want in. Do the front and back cover have to "connect"-as with "Riding the Bullet" ,or can they be separate and individual images pertaining the new and old.? My guess is a connected image, with blended edges but separate images. A little guidance please. Beambounder. Thankee Sai

Dan Hocker
06-05-2011, 01:34 PM
I want in. Do the front and back cover have to "connect"-as with "Riding the Bullet" ,or can they be separate and individual images pertaining the new and old.? My guess is a connected image, with blended edges but separate images. A little guidance please. Beambounder. Thankee Sai

They do not have to connect. In fact it's probably best if they don't connect. As there are going to be two separate votes, 1 for the front and one for the back.

JJ Holden
06-08-2011, 04:00 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the entries. Artwork is sooo important.

Dan Hocker
06-08-2011, 04:02 AM
I've gotten 2 or 3 entries so far. I really hope we get some more, these have been very good and creative.

Treehugger
06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry if this question was already answered, but is the art already being posted somewhere, or is that happening after the deadline?

Dan Hocker
06-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry if this question was already answered, but is the art already being posted somewhere, or is that happening after the deadline?

We will be posting the artwork finalist (which the CD staff will be choosing) up for viewing after the entrance window. Then everyone will be able to vote for their favorites.

Ben Staad
06-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I can't wait to see the potential covers! If you can share....how many entries do you have so far?

Dan Hocker
06-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I can't wait to see the potential covers! If you can share....how many entries do you have so far?

Not many yet, 2 or 3 I think. I think we will get some more in, now that it has been in a news letter. I'm also sure we'll get more in towards the end of the period as artists work on their entries.

bsaenz24
06-22-2011, 01:27 AM
I really have to give credit to CD for both the story side and the art side of these chapbook contests!! Great idea!!!

Beambounder
07-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Fantastic Opportunities - This has been an enlightening contest, for both Wordsmiths and Visual Artists. Thanks, to everyone who submitted,judged,read,or just plain loves books..Beambounder. Happy Independence Day Constant Readers.

SkeletonKey Ed
07-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Got my entry in at the last minute, after my brother turned me on to this contest a few weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing the entries.

Beambounder
07-06-2011, 06:12 AM
I have an idea: is it possible to do a full color chapbook of all the semifinalist art? It seems that if it were laid out nicely-it would make a darkling and contemplative set of limited chapbooks. Maybe put a percentage into The King's "Haven Foundation." It would be a great way to show the amazing art and illustrations contributed, Plus, we also contribute to a worthy artist/book illustrator foundation. I can see the "visual terror " art show chapbook, the works I have seen would look terrific arranged in alternating and or connecting bi-folds. It pays to utilize these works while you have them together. An art chapbook,like the old european ones from the 30's to 50's

Beambounder
07-06-2011, 02:58 PM
I have another idea-what if SOME of the chosen illustrations for "Old Dreams, new Screams" might be utilized as interior illustrations that suit specific stories. Scaling down the "Benefits" which ,would be the case -for the going price of interior illustrations-at least in my experience ,illustrating the creatures from MARS for a H.G, Wells' version or"The Young Collector's Illustrated Classics" for" Kidsbooks." on Broadway and 24-25th in N.Y.C.
The cover was one lump LARGER sum $700- $1200 dollars;yet 90 interior detailed illustrations went for about $3000 for the whole interior Lot. Back in 2000-2001, depending on the publishing company, the cover and back are often done by one "In house" Illustrator and The Interior Illustrations are often farmed out-often at a huge profit to the publisher- to meet a final deadline based in layouts of where the illustrations go,and what they are illustrating nearby in the book. The artist is given a completely unbound galley with proportional square and rectangles ,numbered ,for where described visual images, are going to match galley outlines.These numbered manuscript boxes, correspond with numbered illustrations. Anyway it is another possibility ;interior chapbook image that just might accentuate, some chosen stories perfectly . Thanks ,I do not like to see good work unused.Or we could do folios,same "benefit strata "more artistic,framable works.

Dan Hocker
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I'll think about it, I make no promises though. I can say that interior artwork on the chapbook just isn't feasible with how the chapbooks are made. It also doesn't make a lot of sense given what the price point on chapbooks usually is.

Beambounder
07-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for hearing me out Dan. Beambounder AKA Ron Scott Sippel