X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SyFy to create Hyperion series

per link below

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...-syfy-channel/

I enjoyed the book, will be interesting to see how it's adapted for TV.

I guess I missed this post originally. Fascinating! Let's see if there's anyone in Hollywood smart enough to translate it to video. I've poked around a bit and seen a lot of folks wishing this was HBO instead of SyFy, which I have to agree with. It's going to cost, but I guess any production company could do it with the right talent and money backing it up. It doesn't sound like Simmons is involved at all at this point.

What a mind-boggling project... Thank you for sharing.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Simmons The Terror was supposed to be adapted by AMC I think as well, but there has been virtually no new at all on it in the last couple years either.

I think it was better than Hyperion (it's more horror than sci-fi obviously), but Hyperion has a lot of hype behind it, plus being a series of books as well.

Comment

Hyperion is one of my all-time favorite books, instrumental in starting my book collection because I just had to have a super-nice copy and I've been broke since reading it.

The Terror keeps coming up in discussions; it seems there are a lot of people who really loved it. It's becoming apparent Simmons has this bizarre ability to strike different chords in different people. Powerful ones too, like David's secret chord. With King, it's fairly widely accepted that The Stand sits on top of his best all-time fiction works, with a lot of people nodding to IT as well. But with Simmons, you've got Hyperion, Summer of Night and Carrion Comfort splitting the crowd as his top book with nods to Song of Kali and now The Terror is appearing often enough I'm wondering if it's going to start inching its way up there. I should probably read it.

Thinking about it a little bit more, I'm really having a hard time picturing how they'd adapt Hyperion. It's so complicated modern TV audiences might just immediately drown. You'd almost be better-off replicating the world and ignoring most of the story laid out by Simmons, perhaps just focusing on The Shrike and not so much the journey. But how do you sell any of this to studio execs? Even with star power like Bradley Cooper these guys are just gonna sit there blinking after they've been pitched, then try to make it a super-hero thing. What a tough sell.
        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Good points bugen. It seems too complex almost, without tearing it down and starting from a blank page/script. As you said - it wouldn't be recognizable to those of us who have read it....?

re: Simmons - The Terror and Song of Kali were great. I did like Hyperion, but just not as much, and I'm a pretty big sci-fi reader too. These are the only 3 Simmons I have read too, so that has to be kept in mind when I say these things. The next one of his I really want to get and read is Abominable. Seems to be along the lines of another historical setting, with a lot of "real" to it. I find stories like this really work for me.

I would recommend The Terror - it's on the long side, but for me it flowed along quite well.

Comment

Working...
          X