PDA

View Full Version : End of Watch

jhanic
04-22-2015, 03:02 PM
King announced last night at the St. Francis College event that the third book in the Mr. Mercedes trilogy is entitled "The Suicide Prince".

John

bsaenz24
04-22-2015, 03:55 PM
King announced last night at the St. Francis College event that the third book in the Mr. Mercedes trilogy is entitled "Suicide Prince".

John

I like it!!! It sounds nice and upbeat!

Theli
04-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Great title!

bookworm 1
04-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Typical Brad.:rolleyes:.:p......:).

bsaenz24
04-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Typical Brad.:rolleyes:.:p......:).

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

TJCams
04-23-2015, 07:12 PM
With Mr. Mercedes a kind of "different" King novel, I did enjoy it. I don't think I will be running out to get book 1 & 2 in the trilogy - I think for me at least, I can wait until they come out on the used market.

Brian James Freeman
04-24-2015, 06:14 AM

;) :cool:

jhanic
06-11-2015, 08:22 PM
It's now official--the correct title of the third book in the Hodges trilogy is to be called "End of Watch."

John

Dan Hocker
06-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Interesting title, though isn't that also the title of a LA Cop movie from a couple years ago?

Theli
06-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Interesting title, though isn't that also the title of a LA Cop movie from a couple years ago?

Apparently it is: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1855199/

Never heard of it, big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal though, so I should probably check it out.

Dan Hocker
06-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Never heard of it, big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal though, so I should probably check it out.

Oh yea I remember seeing the trailer for that now. I haven't watched it though.

Dan Hocker
06-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Oh yea I remember seeing the trailer for that now. I haven't watched it though.

Brian James Freeman
03-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Just FYI, our S&S sales rep tells us the Bill Hodges Trilogy Box Set has been pushed back to the end of June or early July. We'll post when we hear more. The regular hardcover edition of End of Watch is not affected by this change in plans, it'll still be out in early June.

Also, here's a tiny little tease for those who bought the Bill Hodges Trilogy Box Set through our online store... this is a small part of the art print you'll be receiving with your shipment:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/misc/MrMercedesArtPrintTease.jpg

Brian

bsaenz24
03-29-2016, 08:43 PM
I wonder if they thought the box set might cut into the sales of the "original" edition...

Dave1442397
05-12-2016, 04:08 PM
double posted

Dave1442397
05-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Signed copies available here, if anyone wants to spend $450 for it. Not me!

http://www.veryfinebooks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SK403

bsaenz24
05-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Signed copies available here, if anyone wants to spend $450 for it. Not me!

http://www.veryfinebooks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SK403

If it was an older/classic title, *maybe*, but otherwise, nope.

slayn666
05-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Yeah that's a bit much for a new book. King's signature is ostensibly worth about $200 on a new book, based on what signed copies of his last few books have sold for.

Brian861
05-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Yeah that's a bit much for a new book. King's signature is ostensibly worth about $200 on a new book, based on what signed copies of his last few books have sold for.

And the market will be flooded soon enough with these. Emmanuel over there is a good guy and all but man, his prices are through the roof.

Dave1442397
05-13-2016, 12:15 PM
And the market will be flooded soon enough with these. Emmanuel over there is a good guy and all but man, his prices are through the roof.

Yes, he must attract collectors with deep pockets who trust the provenance of his books. Me, I go with Betts Books. David will probably have signed copies for $250 or so.

Brian861
05-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Probably will shock most of my collecting peers here but I'm just not into collecting King's sig. Not really into collecting anyone's sig really outside of BJF. I know, double standard, sue me :P. Seems most non-King limiteds come with the author's sig anyway, but it's in no way shape or form a deal breaker for me if it doesn't. I guess maybe because I missed out on a time when you could go and get it personally inscribed while standing in front of the man. Albeit if only for a few seconds. But still, there is something a little personal in that. A flat sig or an inscription to someone else honestly doesn't do anything for me. Not banishing those you who collection them; we all have our own interest. I reckon I was just having a soapbox, thread hijacking moment. You all may carry on now :).

P.S. And no, Mike! I wasn't being a dick :o. Sorry, brother. Couldn't resist :).

mhatchett
05-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Holy Crap lol!!! I'm watching you mister LOL!!!

frik51
05-14-2016, 03:12 PM
Probably will shock most of my collecting peers here but I'm just not into collecting King's sig. Not really into collecting anyone's sig really outside of BJF.

Who's BJF, Brian??

sk

Martin
05-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Probably will shock most of my collecting peers here but I'm just not into collecting King's sig. Not really into collecting anyone's sig really outside of BJF. I know, double standard, sue me :P. Seems most non-King limiteds come with the author's sig anyway, but it's in no way shape or form a deal breaker for me if it doesn't. I guess maybe because I missed out on a time when you could go and get it personally inscribed while standing in front of the man. Albeit if only for a few seconds. But still, there is something a little personal in that. A flat sig or an inscription to someone else honestly doesn't do anything for me. Not banishing those you who collection them; we all have our own interest. I reckon I was just having a soapbox, thread hijacking moment. You all may carry on now :).

P.S. And no, Mike! I wasn't being a dick :o. Sorry, brother. Couldn't resist :).

Not shocking at all. With the current premium being asked for King's signature on a book many of us have walked away from getting them. I have about 13 books with King's signature and have paid from $20 (Quietly now) to $300 (Secretary of Dreams). I love these books but with the current prices being asked for King signed editions I would not own them. I love what Cemetery Dance is doing with the Doubleday years and the fact they do not contain King's signature does not bother me in the least. On the other hand if the price was much higher I would not purchase them with or without his signature.

Brian861
05-14-2016, 10:37 PM
Holy Crap lol!!! I'm watching you mister LOL!!!

I'd except no less, my friend :) LOL

Who's BJF, Brian?? sk

He's this one dude that has written some stuff, edited some stuff, hangs out at CD a lot, huge King fan......

Not shocking at all. With the current premium being asked for King's signature on a book many of us have walked away from getting them. I have about 13 books with King's signature and have paid from $20 (Quietly now) to $300 (Secretary of Dreams). I love these books but with the current prices being asked for King signed editions I would not own them. I love what Cemetery Dance is doing with the Doubleday years and the fact they do not contain King's signature does not bother me in the least. On the other hand if the price was much higher I would not purchase them with or without his signature.

Great points, Martin as always. IMO, the lettereds are ridiculously priced but there is an obvious market for them as they seem to sell out within minutes of public announcement; if they even make it to public announcement. So can't blame the publishers for publishing them as this is just good old fashioned business sense; supply vs. demand. And if given the opportunity and I can afford it at the time, I'm seriously debating on getting The Stand lettered due to it being my all time favorite.

Brian861
05-14-2016, 10:43 PM
Contest announcement from veryfinebooks to get us back on topic. I didn't do the social media thing and only entered using my email but it still stated I was entered. I never win these type of things so it honestly doesn't matter.
Win an End of Watch signed copy (http://www.veryfinebooks.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=76)

Martin
05-14-2016, 10:45 PM
I'd except no less, my friend :) LOL

He's this one dude that has written some stuff, edited some stuff, hangs out at CD a lot, huge King fan......

Great points, Martin as always. IMO, the lettereds are ridiculously priced but there is an obvious market for them as they seem to sell out within minutes of public announcement; if they even make it to public announcement. So can't blame the publishers for publishing them as this is just good old fashioned business sense; supply vs. demand. And if given the opportunity and I can afford it at the time, I'm seriously debating on getting The Stand lettered due to it being my all time favorite.

I have no issue with the publisher producing them or charging what they charge, they just are not for me.

frik51
05-15-2016, 07:04 AM
And if given the opportunity and I can afford it at the time, I'm seriously debating on getting The Stand lettered due to it being my all time favorite.

Sorry Brian, the one copy that will be left for the public announcement is MINE!!
I will send you some photos to drool over though!

sk

Brian861
05-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Sorry Brian, the one copy that will be left for the public announcement is MINE!!
I will send you some photos to drool over though!

sk

LOL! Remember, buddy. We're both apart of the insiders club ;) Besides, you'll have to beat back the previous lettered owners to get a copy. I'm sure they'll get first dibs. Always the secondary market where you can expect to pay through the nose.

frik51
05-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Think my pay-through-the-nose days are over.
At least, I hope so.

Although....what am I saying here. I've paid through the nose for the PS Thinner (lettered) plus the upcoming Skeleton Crew.
And will do the same when (IF!!) the lettered 'Salem's Lot is announced.
Almost hope it won't be...:rolleyes:

sk

Brian861
05-16-2016, 07:59 AM
Think my pay-through-the-nose days are over.
At least, I hope so.

Although....what am I saying here. I've paid through the nose for the PS Thinner (lettered) plus the upcoming Skeleton Crew.
And will do the same when (IF!!) the lettered 'Salem's Lot is announced.
Almost hope it won't be...:rolleyes:

sk

I've seen you ask this question several times and you appear to have been placed on ignore. Might be for your own good as ya say :).

St. Troy
05-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Not that it's that much of a collectible, but does anyone know (or able to guess) is the relatively ordinary Bill Hodges trilogy box set from Scribner's likely to be around for very long? On one hand, it's not from a specialty press (CD, PS etc., which is why I say "relatively ordinary") and so there could be a number of copies; on the other hand, while End Of Watch will be around for eternity, not everyone is going to want to buy all 3 books at one go.

I ask because I'd like to jump into that series, but I'm juggling a few potential purchases in the $50 - $100 range, and if this type of thing doesn't last long (despite its mass market nature), I'd have to take that into consideration.

pumpheel
05-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Not that it's that much of a collectible, but does anyone know (or able to guess) is the relatively ordinary Bill Hodges trilogy box set from Scribner's likely to be around for very long? On one hand, it's not from a specialty press (CD, PS etc., which is why I say "relatively ordinary") and so there could be a number of copies; on the other hand, while End Of Watch will be around for eternity, not everyone is going to want to buy all 3 books at one go.

I ask because I'd like to jump into that series, but I'm juggling a few potential purchases in the $50 - $100 range, and if this type of thing doesn't last long (despite its mass market nature), I'd have to take that into cofffnsideration. I purchased the trilogy (from CD) during one of their half price sales. Since it comes with a signed lithograph and the books have different jackets I think there will be some collectible value.

Dave1442397
05-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Contest announcement from veryfinebooks to get us back on topic. I didn't do the social media thing and only entered using my email but it still stated I was entered. I never win these type of things so it honestly doesn't matter.
Win an End of Watch signed copy (http://www.veryfinebooks.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=76)

I entered that one too. Can't hurt!

Brian861
05-17-2016, 09:18 AM
I entered that one too. Can't hurt!

Nope. Can't win if ya don't :).

Brian861
05-17-2016, 09:23 AM

I ask because I'd like to jump into that series, but I'm juggling a few potential purchases in the $50 - $100 range, and if this type of thing doesn't last long (despite its mass market nature), I'd have to take that into consideration.

There will always be some collectible IMO to any thing related to King. And according to a fellow TDT member; there might even be a variant of the DJs for this set. One in black, one in white. If you Google it, you'll see both. There is still some question however whether or not all the books in the set will be true 1st/1st and if the books themselves will vary from the true 1st/1st. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I too have the set on order from CD.

St. Troy
05-17-2016, 01:44 PM
FWIW, I was just wondering if this set will still be there if I wait several months to pick it up (small goals).

Brian861
05-18-2016, 08:46 AM
FWIW, I was just wondering if this set will still be there if I wait several months to pick it up (small goals).

I don't see why it wouldn't be personally.

slayn666
05-18-2016, 01:56 PM
There is still some question however whether or not all the books in the set will be true 1st/1st and if the books themselves will vary from the true 1st/1st.

I don't see how there's any reasonable way Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers, as part of this set, could be called 1st/1st.

bsaenz24
05-18-2016, 03:28 PM
I don't see how there's any reasonable way Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers, as part of this set, could be called 1st/1st.

I would see it more as 1st printing of a 2nd edition.

Brian861
06-11-2016, 03:16 AM
BCE showed up today! Can't wait to dive in.

Martin
06-11-2016, 06:22 PM
BCE showed up today! Can't wait to dive in.

I have purchased each of the trilogy on the day it was released but have yet to read any of them. I figure I will probably read them as one story this summer.

Brian861
06-11-2016, 06:49 PM
I have purchased each of the trilogy on the day it was released but have yet to read any of them. I figure I will probably read them as one story this summer.

I'm already about 100 pages into EOW which I never do with a book. Just couldn't put it down. I can say at this point that Finders Keepers is my least favorite and you could probably skip it and not miss anything. To me personally, it's more of a stand alone than part of the trilogy. Hope I haven't spoiled too much for ya. I really enjoyed Mr. Mercedes and EOW is a fast read right out of the gate.

Martin
06-11-2016, 07:17 PM
I'm already about 100 pages into EOW which I never do with a book. Just couldn't put it down. I can say at this point that Finders Keepers is my least favorite and you could probably skip it and not miss anything. To me personally, it's more of a stand alone than part of the trilogy. Hope I haven't spoiled too much for ya. I really enjoyed Mr. Mercedes and EOW is a fast read right out of the gate.

You did not spoil anything. I will read the three as one and see what I think of them.

milton
03-27-2018, 08:14 AM
I did enjoy End of Watch. It ended up being my favorite of the trilogy. There (https://blackjack-consultant.co.uk) are more to come.

Martin
03-27-2018, 06:09 PM
I did enjoy End of Watch. It ended up being my favorite of the trilogy.

I really enjoyed End of Watch but my favorite from the Trilogy is Mr. Mercedes with End of Watch second and Finders Keepers a distant third.