• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Jaunt (from Skeleton Crew) being adapted for film

http://deadline.com/2015/03/stephen-...ti-1201391672/

Pretty cool! Mama wasn't a bad movie.

Comment

Mama was actually not bad. Not too many good horror movies (or scary movies) these days.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
        Mama was actually not bad. Not too many good horror movies (or scary movies) these days.
        I sort of disagree with that. I may not like the current trends as much as the best from the past, but we have so many more flicks out these days that you can always find goodies if you're willing to wade through the crap. Mama was lacking in a few areas, it was essentially ridden with horror cliches and shock scares. What elevated it above many of the current haunting type flicks, in my opinion, was the truly outstanding finale.

Comment

I see what you are saying re: Mama. The Conjuring was like that too - lots of cliches, etc. But I really enjoyed that one. One of the better recent horror flicks too IMO, was A Haunting in Connecticut. I just keep trying to find a movie that will truly scare me or at least make me jump - and that's VERY hard to do. Or even extreme creep me out types are few and far between.

Comment

I love The Jaunt, but I don't see it making a good movie. I just think they'd have to add too much stuff, which would kill the simplicity of the story which I think is its strength.

I intensely disliked Mama, thought it was a story that didn't even make much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by markgunnells View Post
              I love The Jaunt, but I don't see it making a good movie. I just think they'd have to add too much stuff, which would kill the simplicity of the story which I think is its strength.
              This is almost certainly going to be the case, unfortunately. "The Jaunt" is one of King's best short stories, but there's not enough meat there to fill out a feature-length film. It'd be much better served as a short film, say in the 30-45 minute range.

Comment

Love, love, love the story... and I worry about how they'll make a full length movie without a lot of "improvements" to said story!

Brian
                Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I guess I will have to open up my copy of Skeleton Crew and read it finally!

Comment

Alright, my favorite story from Skelton Crew is “Here there be Tygers”. For lots of reasons, starting with the y in Tygers LOL!! The story is so evocative of elementary school paranoia. You can almost smell the stale urine and feel the kid’s fear of his teacher, which is much greater than his fear of the Tyger. And it’s logical, clearly a tyger escaped from a visiting traveling carnival, set up just down the street at a crummy rundown strip mall, complete with a Woolworths and a Burger Chef.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                      Alright, my favorite story from Skelton Crew is “Here there be Tygers”. For lots of reasons, starting with the y in Tygers LOL!! The story is so evocative of elementary school paranoia. You can almost smell the stale urine and feel the kid’s fear of his teacher, which is much greater than his fear of the Tyger. And it’s logical, clearly a tyger escaped from a visiting traveling carnival, set up just down the street at a crummy rundown strip mall, complete with a Woolworths and a Burger Chef.
                      Wow! Burger Chef!...... I remember that name, not sure if they had any here in Windsor, but being on the border with Detroit, it is likely - I am sure Toronto had them.

Comment

I'm rarely concerned about film makers adapting written works, the two can be completely separate representations, as long as the themes and feel is right. Not really down for a movie like Lawnmower Man which had nothing to do with the story, but liberties can be taken without detracting from the original story in my opinion. Like The Mist for example, a different ending, still an amazing movie.

Comment

The Mist was something... the movie ending took my breath away. Checked out Darabont's Walpuski's Typewriter (recommended) because of it.

Loved 'The Jaunt', but considering the entire body of work I'm rarely impressed with King adaptations to film. I wonder if there's some imaginative element to his storytelling that lets his writing succeed where adapted stories on film struggle actualizing what was so great about the story. But there are exceptions. I'll probably check this out.
                          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

An example I cite is 1408. I know the movie got some good notices, but I thought it was a ridiculous mess. The short story is perfection in its unnerving simplicity, but the movie suffered from Kitchen Sink Syndrome (as in "everything but the").

Comment

Working...
                            X