PDA

View Full Version : What audio book are you listening to?

c marvel
08-22-2014, 10:45 AM
City of the Dead by Brian Keene, Disc One.

Cap

rusty23
08-22-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm always listening to an audio book. Map of Bones by James Rollins. I'm starting to go through the Sigma novels.

Dan Hocker
08-22-2014, 03:12 PM
I've been moving through Terry Brook's Shannara stuff in chronological order. I just started into The First King of Shannara, probably the only book in all of the Shannara series I've only read once.

RJK1981
08-25-2014, 09:04 AM
The Good Nurse by Charles Graeber, an excellent true crime story

TJCams
01-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Are you ready for this..... I've never listened to an audio book! LOL

Dan Hocker
01-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Are you ready for this..... I've never listened to an audio book! LOL

Neither had I until about a year ago, and I've never looked back.

TJCams
01-05-2015, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure I'd have the time to listen. It's only a 15 minute drive to work for me, and other than that, I don't do much driving, I suppose I could use my daughter's old ipod and dl some to that and listen while at the gym maybe.... One day I'll do it, I am sure.

Dan Hocker
01-05-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure I'd have the time to listen. It's only a 15 minute drive to work for me, and other than that, I don't do much driving, I suppose I could use my daughter's old ipod and dl some to that and listen while at the gym maybe.... One day I'll do it, I am sure.

Yea time can be hard. I pretty much listen to them here at work instead of the radio.

bsaenz24
01-05-2015, 04:01 PM
I could never figure out how people really listen to audio books while driving. I tried it twice and almost crashed twice. Not for me. LOL!!

TJCams
01-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Yea time can be hard. I pretty much listen to them here at work instead of the radio.

Good idea - I may consider that.

rusty23
01-05-2015, 08:57 PM
I love audio books!! I started listening last year, and I'm now addicted. I commute about 50 minutes each way to work, and I only listen to the radio when I finish one audio book without having another one to start. I just started The Silkworm today.

Brian861
11-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Dark Screams Volume One for the next 3 days or so of commuting.

c marvel
06-24-2016, 09:07 AM
This isn't an audio book, it is audio though. Origins of Superstition, an old time radio series which had 39 episodes. I've listened to 21 of the 39 episodes.

Cap

c marvel
02-02-2017, 09:35 AM
I finally finished the Origins of Superstition mp3 CD-39 episodes total. Some of the episodes were downright silly and some were just very nonsensical. Basically you
listen to an 11 minute story with two minutes of the shows musical padding at the beginning and the ending.

Cap

goathunter
02-10-2017, 10:55 AM
I just recently finished the audiobook edition of Cary Elwes's As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride, and I highly recommend it! It's read by Cary, but also features Christopher Guest, Carol Kane, Norman Lear, Rob Reiner, Wallace Shawn, Robin Wright, Billy Crystal, and Andy Scheinman. The book is tremendous fun, but the audiobook is a joy to listen to. Cary also does impersonations of many of the people he quotes. A great example of an audiobook that surpasses the print edition, IMO.

As You Wish @ Audible (https://www.audible.com/pd/Arts-Entertainment/As-You-Wish-Audiobook/B00NLEVIRG)

Hunter

Theli
02-10-2017, 02:31 PM
^Sounds pretty damn cool!

c marvel
05-25-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm now listening to THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN and other Harrowing Halloween Tales. I listened to Track 1-THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN yesterday on my way back to the park. I thought it was an excellent reading of the classic tale. The other tracks are Halloween Nightmare, Haunted House Horror (lots of H's here), Witches' Coven, A Visit to the TORTURE CHAMBER, and WITCHES' RAP.

Cap

Martin
07-12-2017, 01:41 AM
Took advantage of Prime Day deal on an Audible subscription.

First listen is the new Audio release of The Dead Zone read by James Franco. So far it is very good. Been years since I read this one so it like a new read to me.

Brian861
07-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Recently listened to Joyland read by Michael Kelly. Loved the story has I haven't read it before and the narrator killed it! I'd love some suggestions of other things that this guy has read.

Currently listening to The Fireman. Very disappointed with the narrator as I think she's over acting it and very disappointed with the story as well. I'll finish listening but I'm bored and could care less about what happens to any of the characters. I don't know if Joe tried doing something different, outside of his comfort zone, but after reading several of his books at this point; doesn't seem like the same author at all. Hopefully he'll return to true form with Strange Weather.

c marvel
07-17-2017, 06:46 AM
I'm listening to The Color of War: How One Battle Broke Japan and Another Changed America by James Campbell. This is an 11 audio CD audiobook.

Cap

Martin
08-06-2017, 05:34 AM
Finished "The Dead Zone" read by James Franco. Been over 25 years since I had read it and it still holds up. Was unsure of Franco as a narrator but he did a great job.

Started "The Traveling Vampire Show". Love the story but am so far unimpressed with the narrator (Bob Barnes.) Only about five chapters in so hopefully he will grow on me.

Martin
08-07-2017, 02:10 AM
Finished "The Dead Zone" read by James Franco. Been over 25 years since I had read it and it still holds up. Was unsure of Franco as a narrator but he did a great job.

Started "The Traveling Vampire Show". Love the story but am so far unimpressed with the narrator (Bob Barnes.) Only about five chapters in so hopefully he will grow on me.

I figured out why the narration for "The Traveling Vampire Show" is not working for me. The cadence and voice of the narrator sounds like the narration for "Christmas Story", I still love the story but the narration is distracting.

Brian861
08-07-2017, 07:29 PM

Huge fan of Franco's. I'll have to check that out. I'm currently listening to 11/22/63 and really enjoying it.

Martin
08-15-2017, 06:20 PM
Decided on a new read rather than a re-read for my next book.

For whatever reason I have not read the Hodges Trilogy yet so I jumped into Mr. Mercedes. The narration is done by Will Patton and he is doing great so far. Love the story so far.

HumphreyBear
08-17-2017, 12:08 AM
First-time post so go easy on me.

I am an avid audiobook listener and usually, my enjoyment of them is heavily influenced by the reader. I save my favourite authors/narrators to listen to, and I read other novels in the traditional way.
The Fireman by Joe Hill is the first of his books that I've listened to rather than read. I am not yet halfway through, and don't like the reader much. The story is starting to grow on me after a fairly flat section.
I'll keep going...

Brian861
08-28-2017, 03:33 PM

I am an avid audiobook listener and usually, my enjoyment of them is heavily influenced by the reader. I save my favourite authors/narrators to listen to, and I read other novels in the traditional way.
The Fireman by Joe Hill is the first of his books that I've listened to rather than read. I am not yet halfway through, and don't like the reader much. The story is starting to grow on me after a fairly flat section.
I'll keep going...

Welcome! I didn't care for the narrator nor the story The Fireman at all. I'm currently listening to Heart Shaped Box and it isn't doing a whole lot for me either. I'm an avid collector of Hill. Beginning to wonder if I'm only that vs. a fan. Horns and Locke & Key were outstanding though. But those were reads and not listens. Maybe it's the audio that's not working for me and I'd actually enjoy the books more if I read 'em myself. There is just so little time, if any, for me to read anymore.

Martin
08-28-2017, 03:50 PM

I'll keep going...

Welcome to the board. I have listened to audios periodically over the years, primarily short stories. I recently purchased a subscription to Audible and am loving it. I started with some old books I wanted to re-read and have moved on to stories on my To-Be-Read list.

I completely agree that the person doing the reading greatly influences how much I enjoy the story. I have not listened to any of Joe Hill's audiobooks yet but I did hear Mr. Hill state in an interview that he was hoping to read one of the stories. Unfortunately it does not appear to have happened as he is only listed as reading the afterword.

Brian861
08-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the board. I have listened to audios periodically over the years, primarily short stories. I recently purchased a subscription to Audible and am loving it. I started with some old books I wanted to re-read and have moved on to stories on my To-Be-Read list.

I completely agree that the person doing the reading greatly influences how much I enjoy the story. I have not listened to any of Joe Hill's audiobooks yet but I did hear Mr. Hill state in an interview that he was hoping to read one of the stories. Unfortunately it does not appear to have happened as he is only listed as reading the afterword.

I have the Strange Weather disc on order as well. We'll see how that one goes. And I'm going to listen to 20th Century Ghost once I'm done with Heart Shaped Box. His Little Silver Book was a good read though. I did manage to squeeze that one in. But it's well, a Little Book :)

HumphreyBear
09-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the welcomes.
Since my previous post, I have finished listening to The Fireman. My opinion of it waxed and waned as the tale continued. Still didn't like the narrator much, but in the end, I liked the story a lot.
I've moved on to one of my favourite authors - Adrian McKinty - and the sixth book in the Sean Duffy series. The writing is a joy, and the narration by Gerard Doyle is top notch.
Not really the subject matter that this board focuses on though!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61QMb9cty0L._SL150_.jpg

c marvel
02-16-2018, 05:21 AM
I'm listening to music. Yesterday, I got a wonderful sampler CD that had been on my Wish List at SwapACD. It is Global Voyage from Global Pacific Records from 1988. This sampler was really well put together and the music still holds up today. GPR is gone now, but their music had a huge influence on me. It led me to other artists and eventually to my all time favorite artist-Tom Grant. I play CDs in my vehicle when driving and I always, and I do mean it, usually have a Tom Grant CD with me. For me, his music is a part of me. I find it hard to believe Tom is 71 now.

Cap

Brian861
02-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Just about to finish up Strange Weather. Really enjoyed the first two stories and thought the narration was great. The third story was just plain silly to me and the last is read by the same woman that read The Fireman. Not a fan of her readings but the story is so-so. Great news is that Snapshot and Loaded are two of the best stories from Joe in quite awhile.

Martin
02-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Just about to finish up Strange Weather. Really enjoyed the first two stories and thought the narration was great. The third story was just plain silly to me and the last is read by the same woman that read The Fireman. Not a fan of her readings but the story is so-so. Great news is that Snapshot and Loaded are two of the best stories from Joe in quite awhile.

I read Strange Weather and then listened to the audio as a re-read. I have heard others say they did not like Kate Mulgrew's reading of Fireman or Rain. I have not listened to Fireman so can't offer an opinion. I will say that I had trouble linking her voice the narrator I envisioned when reading it. She seamed older and gentler than I thought she should. With that said I still enjoyed the story and her narration was not a distraction from the story for me.

I will finish listening to The Exorcist 40th Anniversary edition today. It is read by the author and he does a real good job with it.

Martin
04-03-2018, 03:21 AM
I read Strange Weather and then listened to the audio as a re-read. I have heard others say they did not like Kate Mulgrew's reading of Fireman or Rain. I have not listened to Fireman so can't offer an opinion. I will say that I had trouble linking her voice the narrator I envisioned when reading it. She seamed older and gentler than I thought she should. With that said I still enjoyed the story and her narration was not a distraction from the story for me.

I will finish listening to The Exorcist 40th Anniversary edition today. It is read by the author and he does a real good job with it.

Recently listened to The Fireman by Joe Hill, narrated by Kate Mulgrew. Although I did not care for her narration of Rain I thought she did a real good job with The Fireman. Still really enjoy the story but remains one of my least favorite Hill novels.

Also listened to Wool by Hugh Howey and really enjoyed it. Very interested in seeing were the trilogy leads.

Brian861
04-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Recently listened to The Fireman by Joe Hill, narrated by Kate Mulgrew. Although I did not care for her narration of Rain I thought she did a real good job with The Fireman. Still really enjoy the story but remains one of my least favorite Hill novels.

Also listened to Wool by Hugh Howey and really enjoyed it. Very interested in seeing were the trilogy leads.

We'll continue to disagree on The Fireman and it's narrator. We can agree on Rain though.

Recently finished SK's Blaze and it was wonderfully read. I couldn't finish the book a few years back but I couldn't get enough of the audio. Good stuff.

I'm now listening to Danse Macabre. This one is going to be a huge struggle has the narrator is pretty monotone. Feels more like listening to a lecture on the subject matter. On disc 4 of 15. I'm not one to quit things often but this might be the exception to the rule.

Martin
04-03-2018, 04:24 PM
We'll continue to disagree on The Fireman and it's narrator. We can agree on Rain though.

Recently finished SK's Blaze and it was wonderfully read. I couldn't finish the book a few years back but I couldn't get enough of the audio. Good stuff.

I'm now listening to Danse Macabre. This one is going to be a huge struggle has the narrator is pretty monotone. Feels more like listening to a lecture on the subject matter. On disc 4 of 15. I'm not one to quit things often but this might be the exception to the rule.

I have Danse Macabre in my Audible library but have not started it yet. I may have to add Blaze, I remember thinking the novel was just OK when I read it. I may have a different view of the Audio.

Brian861
04-03-2018, 04:29 PM
I have Danse Macabre in my Audible library but have not started it yet. I may have to add Blaze, I remember thinking the novel was just OK when I read it. I may have a different view of the Audio.

Hopefully I don't fall asleep in traffic while listening to Danse.....

Martin
04-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Hopefully I don't fall asleep in traffic while listening to Danse.....

Listens like that do not put me to sleep but sometimes it dawns on me that I have a book playing and I have completely tuned it out. That means I have to find what I last remember and listen again to something that bored me enough to tune out. I hate it when that happens!

Brian861
04-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Listens like that do not put me to sleep but sometimes it dawns on me that I have a book playing and I have completely tuned it out. That means I have to find what I last remember and listen again to something that bored me enough to tune out. I hate it when that happens!

I've done that too LOL. Or a pretty girl pulls up next to me at a light :o

Martin
04-09-2018, 04:52 AM
Just finished listening to Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts. Really enjoyed it.

HumphreyBear
04-09-2018, 08:43 AM
I finished listening to How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. I Liked it a lot. A riff on the man who lives a long time idea, but very well told and nicely read. I then re-listened to Matheson-Duel, Hill/King - Throttle packaged together as Road Rage. Duel was better!
Now I'm back onto The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon. I started listening to a Graphic Audio version but I don't really like that format, so I grabbed the audible version, read by Simon Prebble, and I'm enjoying it much more.

Martin
05-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Will finish listening to Danse Macabre tonight or tomorrow. When I complete this the only King book I will not have read will be The Wind Through the Keyhole. I am enjoying but not loving Danse Macabre. The narrator is William Dufris who also narrates John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. As I have been working through that series on audio also it too a while for me to adjust to him narrating this. He is a good narrator though.

Brian861
05-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Will finish listening to Danse Macabre tonight or tomorrow. When I complete this the only King book I will not have read will be The Wind Through the Keyhole. I am enjoying but not loving Danse Macabre. The narrator is William Dufris who also narrates John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. As I have been working through that series on audio also it too a while for me to adjust to him narrating this. He is a good narrator though.

Finished up Danse Macabre the other day. That was a tough one to get through. My favorite part was at the end learning about where he drew his inspiration for The Stand, which remains my all time favorite King book.

On to Something Wicked This Way Comes. So far I'm not really getting into it.

TacomaDiver
05-05-2018, 12:49 AM
Finished up Danse Macabre the other day. That was a tough one to get through. My favorite part was at the end learning about where he drew his inspiration for The Stand, which remains my all time favorite King book.

I read SWTWC because a girl I liked loved it. Sadly neither worked out well.

Martin
05-05-2018, 02:36 AM

I have not had trouble getting through it and have generally enjoyed but I must admit the portions about movies bored me at times. The sections on books I am enjoying more. I have one chapter left that I will listen to in the morning. That must be the part about The Stand you mention.

I am actually not sure if I read Something Wicked or saw the movie. I have fond memories of the story but no recollection of why I know it. I am thinking about reading it to see if I remember it.

Brian861
05-05-2018, 12:54 PM
I read SWTWC because a girl I liked loved it. Sadly neither worked out well.

The things we do for love. Uh, Jason.

I have not had trouble getting through it and have generally enjoyed but I must admit the portions about movies bored me at times. The sections on books I am enjoying more. I have one chapter left that I will listen to in the morning. That must be the part about The Stand you mention.

I am actually not sure if I read Something Wicked or saw the movie. I have fond memories of the story but no recollection of why I know it. I am thinking about reading it to see if I remember it.

It must be in the last chapter.

I've seen the movie Something Wicked several times and really enjoyed it. It's been awhile so I can't really compare the book to the film. Might have to try and catch the film right after I finish the book.

TacomaDiver
05-05-2018, 03:29 PM
The things we do for love. Uh, Jason.

I even bought her a copy too! I paid full price dammit.

Martin
05-06-2018, 12:38 AM

So finished Danse Macabre this morning. When I stopped yesterday he was discussing his attempt at writing a fiction story based on Patty Hearst. When I started up today that quickly morphed into the topic of The Stand. Although I was ambivalent fo the middle of the book. The last few chapters were fantastic and left me feeling very good about the book!

Also listened to Joe Hill's Dark Carnival and really enjoyed it, one of my top Joe Hill stories! Unfortunately the cover of WIld Horses is not included in the download.

c marvel
05-06-2018, 01:36 AM
I'm currently listening to some Lone Ranger otr (old time radio) episodes on a DVD-R which thankfully is playable on my mp3 CD player in my vehicle via an Aux cord. I have episodes 25 left (Not sure without stopping to count). There are 50 episodes on the DVD-R. I knew I'd be getting some episodes I'd already heard, but I didn't mind. This was actually a free purchase since the seller described it as an mp3 cd-It isn't-I learned I could not transfer (Burn) the episodes onto a blank CD-R so I complained to eBay-The seller didn't respond and I got a full refund, around $10. Before this purchase if I wanted to listen to a couple of Lone Ranger otr episodes I'd just go to Comic Book Plus where I have a free account and can download two episodes there totally free and burn onto a blank CD-R.

Cap

Brian861
05-06-2018, 01:02 PM
So finished Danse Macabre this morning. When I stopped yesterday he was discussing his attempt at writing a fiction story based on Patty Hearst. When I started up today that quickly morphed into the topic of The Stand. Although I was ambivalent fo the middle of the book. The last few chapters were fantastic and left me feeling very good about the book!

Also listened to Joe Hill's Dark Carnival and really enjoyed it, one of my top Joe Hill stories! Unfortunately the cover of WIld Horses is not included in the download.

I found that whole Patty Hearst deal very interesting as well.

Martin
05-07-2018, 03:55 AM
Listening to Christine. Probably been 35 years since I read this one. The first thing I will say is that the narrator is perfect for this story. I remember this as being an ok story but I am really loving it now.

HumphreyBear
05-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Listening to Christine. Probably been 35 years since I read this one. The first thing I will say is that the narrator is perfect for this story. I remember this as being an ok story but I am really loving it now.

Who's narrating? The narrator makes all the difference to an audiobook. If I don't like the narrator, I usually stop listening and start reading.

Brian861
05-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Dark Carousel was a good listen. Finished it up this morning. Christine is another one of my all time favorite King novels.

Martin
05-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Who's narrating? The narrator makes all the difference to an audiobook. If I don't like the narrator, I usually stop listening and start reading.

The narrator is an actor named Holter Graham. Not familiar with him in the least but he is perfect for this book!

Martin
05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Dark Carousel was a good listen. Finished it up this morning. Christine is another one of my all time favorite King novels.

Really enjoyed Dark Carousel but wished the Wild Horses cover was included in the download. Unless it really drops off in the second half it will be moving up from middle of the pack to near the top with my re-read. I have had re-reads that moved the book up or down in how much I liked them but never this much. I am not sure if my memory is failing about how much I enjoyed it, possibly tainted by the movie. Maybe I like it more now for some reason, like I am further separated from the youth in the book. Maybe having it read to me by a narrator that works so right for the story is the difference. Whatever it is I am sure enjoying this book!

Martin
07-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Yesterday I finished The Troop by Nick Cutter. Really enjoyed this story, what I would consider traditional Horror. Boy Scout Troop and their scout leader go to a small island for a camping trip. Man shows up with mysterious illness and things spin out of control. I had read a lot of good things about the story so my expectations were high and it exceeded them. Finally jumped in and bought it because it was on sale from Audible.

My Audible backlog is nearly complete so I am looking for suggestions. especially looking for authors I have not tried before.

What should I add to my Audible library?

To give some background here are a few of the new authors, and the books from them, that I have been introduced to this year:

Nick Cutter - The Troop
Robert Galbraith - Cuckoo's Calling (OK, I have read the complete Harry Potter so the author is not new but this is a dramatic departure from that.)
Paul Tremblay - A Head Full of Ghosts
Ken Greenhall - Hell Hound (Read the book, not audio but really enjoyed it)
Josh Malerman - Bird Box

I also enjoy non-fiction.

Let me know what you liked that I may want to add to my library!
Thanks!

Brian861
07-13-2018, 06:35 AM
Been working my way through some Matheson short collections and novels. Some are ok, some not. The Box collection was ok I thought. Stir of Echoes is up next.

Also finished up Gwendy's Button Box recently and really enjoyed that. I'm a big fan of the actress that read it though.

Martin
07-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Been working my way through some Matheson short collections and novels. Some are ok, some not. The Box collection was ok I thought. Stir of Echoes is up next.

Also finished up Gwendy's Button Box recently and really enjoyed that. I'm a big fan of the actress that read it though.

I have both read and listened to Gwendy's and enjoyed both times. Stir of Echoes would probably be great on audio, have to consider that as a audio re-read!

Dan Hocker
07-13-2018, 05:26 PM
I'm currently in-between audio books, I need to find something though as I don't currently have enough podcasts to keep up with my commute at the moment. I might pick up the audio books for a trilogy I haven't read in probably 14 years. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I remember it being a bit depressing. Could be worth a go though, I remember it being really good, but it's been so long I've lost all the plot details. For anyone who cares, the trilogy is called The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Martin
07-13-2018, 06:30 PM
I'm currently in-between audio books, I need to find something though as I don't currently have enough podcasts to keep up with my commute at the moment. I might pick up the audio books for a trilogy I haven't read in probably 14 years. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I remember it being a bit depressing. Could be worth a go though, I remember it being really good, but it's been so long I've lost all the plot details. For anyone who cares, the trilogy is called The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

I am not really big on fantasy but I will give the samples a listen and see if I may want to try these out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Martin
08-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Currently listening to Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I have read the book but this is the first time listening to it. I am quickly reminded why this is my favorite Joe Hill Novel. Very creepy and enthralling story. One odd part of the audio us that they occasionally insert a pause with a Nine Inch Nails instrumental and then begin the narration again before cutting the music. It is distracting.

Brian861
08-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Currently listening to Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I have read the book but this is the first time listening to it. I am quickly reminded why this is my favorite Joe Hill Novel. Very creepy and enthralling story. One odd part of the audio us that they occasionally insert a pause with a Nine Inch Nails instrumental and then begin the narration again before cutting the music. It is distracting.

Stephen Lang is an amazing narrator.

Martin
08-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Stephen Lang is an amazing narrator.

He is doing a really good on this one. I am picturing Jude Coyne as he talks.

Martin
08-30-2018, 05:30 AM
Currently about half way through the Audio of Salems' Lot. Been too many years since I read this one, really enjoying it!

Brian861
08-30-2018, 01:26 PM
Currently about half way through the Audio of Salems' Lot. Been too many years since I read this one, really enjoying it!

I think I would really enjoy that myself. I'll have to add it to the list.

Martin
09-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Decided not to wait for the limited of Flight or Fright. Will be starting the audio of this today.

Martin
09-21-2018, 02:21 AM
Decided not to wait for the limited of Flight or Fright. Will be starting the audio of this today.

Loved Flight or Fright, several of the stories are worth the rice of admission alone. Many classics and the new Joe Hill story is fantastic!

Now listening to John Scalzi's The Human Division. This is book five of his Old Man's War series and I realized that I only have one more in the series after this one. I am going to miss this story line. I am about half way through this one and am loving it.

Brian861
09-21-2018, 06:31 AM
Finished up Sleeping Beauties several days ago and I wasn't that thrilled with it. I was all in for the first 1/3. After that, I found my ears straying.

Listened to Guns by Stephen King as well. I found it very interesting and the narrator was good. I was surprised to learn that King owns firearms.

Martin
09-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Finished up Sleeping Beauties several days ago and I wasn't that thrilled with it. I was all in for the first 1/3. After that, I found my ears straying.

Listened to Guns by Stephen King as well. I found it very interesting and the narrator was good. I was surprised to learn that King owns firearms.

I had a similar response to Sleeping Beauties but I made it 2/3 through before I began having trouble staying tuned. Overall I enjoyed it but wish it was shorter. I have not listened to Guns since it was released, remember enjoying it. Will have to listen again soon, it's not like the views aren't relevant anymore.

Brian861
09-21-2018, 05:14 PM
I had a similar response to Sleeping Beauties but I made it 2/3 through before I began having trouble staying tuned. Overall I enjoyed it but wish it was shorter. I have not listened to Guns since it was released, remember enjoying it. Will have to listen again soon, it's not like the views aren't relevant anymore.

So true. I another shooting in Maryland yesterday.

Dan Hocker
09-21-2018, 08:02 PM
So true. I another shooting in Maryland yesterday.

Not really all that far from us here at CD. Maybe 20 minutes away or so.

Brian861
09-21-2018, 08:15 PM

I was curious how close you guys were, Dan.

Br!an
09-23-2018, 08:24 PM

Wow, 20 minutes is basically local.

ozmosis7
09-23-2018, 10:17 PM
Listening to The Best of Richard Matheson.

Martin
09-24-2018, 01:07 AM
Listening to The Best of Richard Matheson.

That sounds like a good one, just added it to my Audible wish list.

Just starting a re-read of Ghost Story via Audible. Been many since I read this and I have seen the movie several times in since. Starting the book I am quickly reminded about how much depth the movie is lacking!

Martin
10-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Finished the audio book of Eric Idle Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography. If you are a fan of Monty Python this is a must read.

bsaenz24
10-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Finished the audio book of Eric Idle Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography. If you are a fan of Monty Python this is a must read.

I picked up the hard cover. I'm looking forward to it.

Martin
10-22-2018, 08:42 PM
I picked up the hard cover. I'm looking forward to it.

It is a great read. At points laugh out loud funny and at point very heartbreaking. I really enjoyed the audio in part because Eric Idle reads it but just a great read no matter the format.

Martin
10-23-2018, 05:13 PM
Currently listening to The Collector by John Fowles. Fantastic story so far!

Brian861
10-23-2018, 06:53 PM
The Outsider. Early in but enjoying it so far.

Martin
10-23-2018, 07:00 PM
The Outsider. Early in but enjoying it so far.

I enjoyed The Outsider but felt it could have been shorter.

Brian861
10-23-2018, 07:04 PM
I enjoyed The Outsider but felt it could have been shorter.

I felt that way about Sleeping Beauties.

Martin
10-23-2018, 07:08 PM
I felt that way about Sleeping Beauties.

So did I.

mhatchett
10-23-2018, 09:43 PM
I just finished listening to Roger Zelazny narrate A Night In The Lonesome October. I was glad I got to hear him perform his book, but I was somewhat disappointed. It was a bare bones affair with no music or dramatization of the material or voices. It's such an exciting book and it came across very flat.

Dan Hocker
10-23-2018, 10:00 PM
I just finished listening to Roger Zelazny narrate A Night In The Lonesome October. I was glad I got to hear him perform his book, but I was somewhat disappointed. It was a bare bones affair with no music or dramatization of the material or voices. It's such an exciting book and it came across very flat.

Yea that happens a lot when authors narrate their own work. I've said it before, but the best ones are the Star Wars books, they're basically audio plays with the music and sound effects from the movies, and usually really good voice talent. In general though the best ones outside of that tend to be the titles narrated by professional voice actors. They're just better at it.

mhatchett
10-24-2018, 12:20 AM
I have high hopes that someone will do something like that in the future!!

Martin
11-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Currently listening to The Girl Next Door from Jack Ketchum. Not quite half way through but am absolutely loving it. Ketchum never disappoints!

Brian861
11-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Finished up The Outsider recently and enjoyed it for the most part. Now picking up where I left off on the Body Snatchers. Really enjoying it about halfway through.

Martin
11-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Finished up The Outsider recently and enjoyed it for the most part. Now picking up where I left off on the Body Snatchers. Really enjoying it about halfway through.

I thought The Outsider was pretty good but not great.

HumphreyBear
11-16-2018, 03:21 AM
I thought The Outsider was up and down. Some parts I really enjoyed but some parts dragged.
I have just finished The Last Colony (Scalzi), Elevation (King) and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (Neil deGrasse Tyson). All terrific - I particularly like listening to Neil d T speak. He could read a shopping list and make it fascinating.

Martin
12-05-2018, 07:51 PM
I thought The Outsider was up and down. Some parts I really enjoyed but some parts dragged.
I have just finished The Last Colony (Scalzi), Elevation (King) and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (Neil deGrasse Tyson). All terrific - I particularly like listening to Neil d T speak. He could read a shopping list and make it fascinating.

I enjoyed The Last Colony. The only Old Man's War story I have left if The End of All Things.

Martin
12-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Currently listening to my first Cormac McCarthy read with No Country for Old Men. Really enjoying it. About half way in and I am actually surprised how closely the movie follows the story. I just assumed because it was a Cohen Brothers film it would take great liberties.

Brian861
12-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Currently listening to Elevation and Flight or Fright. Elevation is getting better for me while Flight or Fright is pretty hit and miss. I do enjoy King's intro to each story.

Martin
12-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Currently listening to Elevation and Flight or Fright. Elevation is getting better for me while Flight or Fright is pretty hit and miss. I do enjoy King's intro to each story.

I enjoyed Elevation but wanted more. While Flight or Fright was hit and miss for me the hits made it all worth the ride.

William J. Grabowski
12-06-2018, 06:26 AM
Agreed. He's got a natural great tone for narration (not to mention a first-class intellect!).

Martin
04-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Currently listening to The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. I have a beat up old paperback that I have read several times. This is easily my most read Non-Fiction story. Saw they had an inexpensive audio version on Audible and I had a $5.00 credit so I added it. The narrator is doing a great job. If you are unfamiliar this is a true story of a Polish soldier captured by the Soviets and sentenced to 25 years at a labor camp in Siberia. With the help of the prison guards wife he and several others escape and walk to India crossing through Siberia, the Gobi desert and the Himalayas. It is a fascinating story.

Brian861
04-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Currently listening to something a little different. It's titled Misquoting Jesus. It deals with how folks take the bible literally word for word and that it's actually a book written by humans that is full of errors from the original text. While I'm not a religious person, religious topics and history have always fascinated me.

Martin
04-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Currently listening to something a little different. It's titled Misquoting Jesus. It deals with how folks take the bible literally word for word and that it's actually a book written by humans that is full of errors from the original text. While I'm not a religious person, religious topics and history have always fascinated me.

That sound interesting. Please provide your thoughts on the book when you finish.

William J. Grabowski
05-01-2019, 05:24 AM
No Country for Old Men was a real piece of work! I'm about halfway through director David Cronenberg's first (and, so far, only) novel, Consumed. Read by actor William Hurt (Altered States and many others), the book's cold horror is relentless, proving Cronenberg could probably do quite well as a novelist.

21475 21476

Martin
05-27-2019, 04:31 AM
Currently listening to "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI".
This is non-fiction chronicling a key piece of American history and is told in three acts. Each act has a different narrator and I am just about through act two. The audio of this is a perfect example of how the narrator makes a difference in the story. Act one is narrated by Ann Marie Lee and while important information is being delivered she reads the tale with a complete monotone and at times it was difficult to keep my attention on the story even with the content. Act two is read by Will Patton and he tells the story evoking the correct emotions with the story he is telling. I did have to adjust to being told a non-fiction story by Bill Hodges but I truly believe he is a great narrator and this books displays his skills perfectly.

c marvel
05-27-2019, 05:31 AM
I'm listening to an audio lecture course Empire of Gold: A History of the Byzantine Empire by and narrated by Prof. Thomas F Madden. I'm up to Segment 3. There are 7 segments total. Prof. Madden has become a favorite of mine. I've listened to I believe 6 of his audio lectures. At Gryphon Editions a signed book by Prof. Madden is available to purchase.

Cap

Theli
05-27-2019, 01:56 PM
I'm listening to an audio lecture course Empire of Gold: A History of the Byzantine Empire by and narrated by Prof. Thomas F Madden. I'm up to Segment 3. There are 7 segments total. Prof. Madden has become a favorite of mine. I've listened to I believe 6 of his audio lectures. At Gryphon Editions a signed book by Prof. Madden is available to purchase.

Cap

I really need to brush up on history more... and finally get a new phone so I can play podcasts and more audiobooks.

Brian861
05-27-2019, 07:30 PM
That sound interesting. Please provide your thoughts on the book when you finish.

Without getting into a religious discussion; it would bore you to death if it's not something you find interesting. I will point out one interesting opinion from the book. If the bible is the word of God, why wasn't it created by him? Never to be misinterpreted nor lost or destroyed through the ages. Do not discuss further as Dan will sack us LOL.

Just about to finish up a little story about Stevie Nicks. Pretty much typical sex, drugs, and rock n roll. Learned somethings I didn't know.

Martin
05-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Without getting into a religious discussion; it would bore you to death if it's not something you find interesting. I will point out one interesting opinion from the book. If the bible is the word of God, why wasn't it created by him? Never to be misinterpreted nor lost or destroyed through the ages. Do not discuss further as Dan will sack us LOL.

Just about to finish up a little story about Stevie Nicks. Pretty much typical sex, drugs, and rock n roll. Learned somethings I didn't know.

Thanks for your thoughts. I may check it out.

Brian861
05-30-2019, 08:08 AM
Just starting The Chalk Man.

Martin
07-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Audible has Paul Tremblay's new collection listed as new in NON-Fiction. Are they trying to tell us something?

Brian861
07-02-2019, 07:16 PM
Just starting The Chalk Man.

Finished this and wasn't overly impressed.

Just about to finish The Dead Drink First. A WWII piece about PTSD and returning fallen soldiers back to US soil. I've really enjoyed.

Martin
07-02-2019, 08:57 PM
Finished this and wasn't overly impressed.

Just about to finish The Dead Drink First. A WWII piece about PTSD and returning fallen soldiers back to US soil. I've really enjoyed.

I really enjoyed The Dead Drink First. I have considered going back and finding the book it is about.

Brian861
09-22-2019, 02:02 AM
Just finished up The Road and loved it.

On to The Institute. Didn't take King long to get to Trumpp.

Ben Staad
09-22-2019, 02:28 AM
Glad you liked The Road. It really is one of my favorite reads.

Just finished up The Road and loved it.

On to The Institute. Didn't take King long to get to Trumpp.

Martin
01-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Cemetery Dance introduced me to Michael Koryta with 'Those Who Wish Me Dead'. Looking for more from this author I found 'If She Wakes' on Audible. Early on this one felt a lot like 'Those Who Wish Me Dead'. In Chapter three a direct link between the stories was revealed. I am not sure if this is a sequel or a stand alone story taking place in the same universe. I am enjoying it so far.

Brian861
01-09-2020, 12:45 AM
Just about to finish Midnight in Chernobyl. This event and story has always captivated me since it happened. It's a super technical listen though.

Martin
01-14-2020, 06:58 PM
Cemetery Dance introduced me to Michael Koryta with 'Those Who Wish Me Dead'. Looking for more from this author I found 'If She Wakes' on Audible. Early on this one felt a lot like 'Those Who Wish Me Dead'. In Chapter three a direct link between the stories was revealed. I am not sure if this is a sequel or a stand alone story taking place in the same universe. I am enjoying it so far.

I enjoyed 'If She Wakes' as much as 'Those Who Wish Me Dead'. I initially had concerns that it was too close to 'Those' but it was a unique story. While it is not a direct sequel it takes place in the same universe. This one is set up for a sequel. We will see if that happens. Overall a very good story.

jeffingoff
01-14-2020, 08:37 PM
I enjoyed 'If She Wakes' as much as 'Those Who Wish Me Dead'. I initially had concerns that it was too close to 'Those' but it was a unique story. While it is not a direct sequel it takes place in the same universe. This one is set up for a sequel. We will see if that happens. Overall a very good story.

Glad to hear that. I'll have to give it a read. I really liked Those Who Wish Me Dead.