PDA

View Full Version : Ender's Game

bugen
08-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Today's Centipede newsletter mentioned Ender's Game, a title that will be dear to me until I've gone back to the mud.

If anyone has any info on this release that they can share I'd love to hear it. Just the one book, part of series, which series, etc? Very excited!!!

From today's newsletter:

FOUR BIG TITLES UP FOR PRE-ORDER SOON
The Drowning Girl, Enderís Game, Blackwater and the Fred Chappell Masters of the Weird Tale will all be published around mid September to late October. Pre-orders for these will be staggered, starting with The Drowning Girl at the end of August (that title will ship starting in mid October). Thank you very much for your patience on these titles, as well as for A Mountain Walked, which will ship in mid to late September.

Sock Monkey
08-11-2014, 12:42 AM
I heard about Ender's Game a while back on another forum, but have heard nothing else. I'm hoping to get a copy though. Centipede does very nice editions so I'm sure Ender will be great.

How do you sign up for Centipede's newsletter? I haven't seen a link on their site anywhere.

slayn666
08-11-2014, 01:15 AM
How do you sign up for Centipede's newsletter? I haven't seen a link on their site anywhere.

You need to email Jerad and request to be added to it, I think.

bugen
08-11-2014, 04:18 AM
Not sure about signing up, I'm sorry. A request to Jerad should do it but I think all I've done is order a few books from them.

Sock Monkey
08-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the info, slayn666 and bugen. Come to think of it, I have yet to order a book directly from Centipede. I only have two of their books. My wife bought Alice Walks for me as a Christmas gift from Camelot and I recently won The Nestling on Ebay for like twenty-two bucks. This is going to change though. I really want the Kiernan book and Ender. Have to check the ol' budget and see if I can work it out.

bugen
08-11-2014, 06:02 AM
Sock Monkey I've found in Centipede a special level of quality. I've got probably around 10 of their books, mostly around the $60 - $100 range. On these versions the paper feels creamy and textured, the cloth is addictive and everything about the book over the course of the read says luxury.

The only very high end Centipede I've got is Anubis Gates. My unboxing was the single most gleeful book unwrapping I've ever had and it went far beyond anything I was expecting with bells and whistles. It's really something else.

TacomaDiver
08-13-2014, 03:57 AM
I e-mailed CP to request to be added to their mailing list. Jerad replied and said sure thing so it was pretty simple.

I'm really excited about this edition. I think it would be a great book to have on my shelf (assuming it's not too far out of my price range.)

bugen
08-13-2014, 05:01 AM
I asked for a couple of details about the edition and disclosed that I'd created a thread here. Jerad did provide a little info, but was also clear he didn't want too much coming out in a thread. I don't blame him one bit, as I'm so excited about this one with permission I'd trumpet any facts I could find. We want Centipede to have all their due thunder upon announcement.

And we don't have long to wait.

My very first collectible book, signed, and now it's been removed from shrinkwrap.

Sock Monkey
08-13-2014, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the update and tease, bugen. I'm really hoping I can swing this one. Really depends on price point, though I doubt it is going to be cheap.

bugen
08-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Hey Sock Monkey The Drowning Girl on Centipede's site has been a broken link since I started looking a few weeks back, so I had just assumed it wasn't available for purchase yet.

The link is no longer broken so you're clear to order the Kiernan book or check out the details.

Sock Monkey
08-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Hey Sock Monkey The Drowning Girl on Centipede's site has been a broken link since I started looking a few weeks back, so I had just assumed it wasn't available for purchase yet.

The link is no longer broken so you're clear to order the Kiernan book or check out the details.
Thanks, bugen! I appreciate the heads up! I headed right over to the site with the full intention of buying it... and then I saw the price. Looks like Centipede is giving it the deluxe treatment, which is awesome for Kiernan fans. Not so awesome for my wallet. I was hoping it was going to be in the $100-$150 range. I'm now going to have to mull the purchase over a little.

bugen
08-17-2014, 06:00 PM
$50 bucks off The Drowning Girl, today only according to one page, this week according to another. I'm passing on this one, saving for Ender's Game, but Sock Monkey maybe this is enough of a drop to solve the dilemma?

Sock Monkey
08-18-2014, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I missed the sale, though. I went to the site and it was at regular price. Maybe it is not meant to be.

I hope you get a copy of Ender, bugen. I'm sure it will be priced out of my range (especially if I just break down and get the Kiernan book). No doubt that Centipede will be pulling out all the stops for their edition. Kinda curious to see what they have planned.

Plasticine
08-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Thanks, bugen! I appreciate the heads up! I headed right over to the site with the full intention of buying it... and then I saw the price. Looks like Centipede is giving it the deluxe treatment, which is awesome for Kiernan fans. Not so awesome for my wallet. I was hoping it was going to be in the $100-$150 range. I'm now going to have to mull the purchase over a little.

The price was a bit of a shock for me as well. I still intend on getting The Drowning Girl -- the preview pages posted are simply beautiful. I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to do it. I'll either save up over the next two weeks and get it directly from Centipede or I'll order through Camelot, that way I can save up over a longer period of time. I don't think the book will sell out that quickly, due to the price, but you never know.

Sock Monkey
08-19-2014, 04:28 PM
I've decided to hold off for now. I want it and might pick it up in the future, but not right this moment. I agree that the preview of the book looks amazing.

bugen
09-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Considering the level of violence about to occur, those familiar with the work might find this picture especially striking:

This is listed as available for pre-order today through the newsletter, though I haven't yet been able to navigate to it from the website.

Sock Monkey
09-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Very cool. Centipede seems to have very good art in their books. What is the book priced at?

bugen
09-14-2014, 04:23 PM
It's at $275 for the pre-order, and $295 list. Pretty damned expensive, but the book is important to me so I went for it. Seems like it will be a killer production.

If you email Jerad he'll add you to his mailing list and I'm sure he'd be happy to send you today's newsletter if you asked:

jerad@centipedepress.com

Here is the text from the newsletter:

Thank you for your patience with this title. Scheduled to start shipping at the end of September, Enderís Game by Orson Scott Card is now up for pre-order. This edition of Enderís Game has quite a few special features, so I hope that youíll bear with me while listing all of them. First off, this is the original novel, with new illustrations by David Ho. There are around six new color illustrations, including the wraparound dustjacket pictured below. There is a new introduction by Brandon Mull. There is a reprinted introduction by Orson Scott Card (it originally appeared in the 1991 edition). There is an afterword called Making Ender Smart, also a reprint, in the back of the book, along with some excerpts from Enderís Game Alive. The book is flatbacked, Smyth sewn, with a full cloth binding, a color onlay on the front board, two ribbon markers, and printed endsheets. It is signed by Orson Scott Card, Brandon Mull, and David Ho. There is a second volume in the box as well. This is the authorís original typescript from 1975, printed in two colors and reprinted with his original letter to Analog. This second volume is 64 pages, sewn, and in a cloth binding, but does not have its own dustjacket. The two books are enclosed in a box with a pull-off lid, like we did with The Anubis Gates last year. The box has images from the dustjacket printed on it. The book size is 6.5 x 10 inches, about the same size as Stand on Zanzibar and The Forever War. The edition is limited to 300 copies for sale. The signature page is printed on a pretty fancy pearlescent paper and is protected by a translucent overlay. The book is $295 but is on sale for this week for $275. Be sure to click on the link below for the special price, as going through the website will not take you there.

Sock Monkey
09-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Wow, that's pricey. Chock it up to another book I want but can't afford at the moment. Maybe I'll put one on layaway at Camelot if they offer it.

Congrats on your purchase, bugen! I'm sure the book will be amazing.

Joe315
09-14-2014, 09:48 PM
It looks like it will be a really nice book. And if it is any bit similar to The Anubis Gates, it won't disappoint.

Sock Monkey
09-15-2014, 04:14 PM
It is now available on the Centipede site if anyone is interested. The art looks stunning!

RJK1981
09-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Got the email about this. Would be tempted to get it as an investment, but not at that price, lol! :eek:

Sock Monkey
09-15-2014, 07:45 PM
I figure after Centipede sells out, this book is going to go for stupid amounts on the after market. Makes me wish I could pick this up now as I know I won't be willing to pay the prices resellers will be asking. Was trying to figure out a way, but after today's CDCC offer, I've widened that gap. Maybe I can sell a kidney...

RJK1981
09-15-2014, 09:19 PM
lol, yeah, getting the book to resell it is the only reason I'd get this.

coderedx
09-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Purchased.

Do we know if it is numbered?

I've collected more of Mr. Card's books than any other author. I've now got a copy of every leatherbound book in the Ender series, so I was excited to stumble on this.

Any guesses on when this will sell out? I'd say a few more days.

bookworm 1
09-16-2014, 09:20 PM
I have never read this. I just found a cheap paperback copy so will read it one day. The art is great but not getting this. New cdcc tapped me out. Saving for the rest of Ronald Kelly essentials.

bugen
09-17-2014, 02:43 AM
My experience with Centipede is their limited editions are numbered but I haven't seen it stated for this book.

I'm really jealous of your leatherbound series. Please post a pic of them if you get a chance! I've liked them all, though Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead are particularly elevated. The scene with Ender and Human in Speaker was heartbreaking for all of the right reasons. Still, I expect Card can write for the rest of his life and not match Ender's Game, though I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong here.

The guy can write some stupid-scary horror, too (Maps in a Mirror). I'll never forget 'A Thousand Deaths' - this is one of the most horrifying and disturbing stories I've ever read.

coderedx
09-17-2014, 03:30 AM
See attached. My apologies: I'm not the best photographer.

Here are the limitation numbers (in the order on the picture):
First Meetings SubPress Edition (Not Leather Bound) 78/350
Ender's Game 109/200 (There are also 25 lettered copies.)
Ender's Game Easton Press
Ender in Exile 43/75 (There are also 25 lettered copies.) (I've still never figured out why Tor released this with a dust jacket over the leather!)
Speaker for the Dead Easton Press
Xenocide 166/300 (There are also 25 lettered copies.)
Children of the Mind 74/75 (There are also 25 lettered copies.) (For some reason, this seems to be the most difficult book on the list to get ahold of. It took me a LONG time!)
Ender's Shadow 1/200 (25 of these are lettered.)
Shadow of the Hegemon 36/100 (There are also 26 lettered copies.)
Shadow Puppets W/26 (There are also 100 numbered copies.)
Shadow of the Giant 26/100 (There is no mention on the limitation page about there being any lettered copies, and I've never seen one.)
Maps in a Mirror Easton Press

My copy of Speaker for the Dead is the only one without a signature, and it is my favorite of the series!

I've also got a few ARCs/Proofs, a first edition of Ender's War (the book club release of EG and Speaker), and one of the original copies of Analog.

bugen
09-17-2014, 05:20 AM
Nice set, that's really cool. The limited Ender's Game looks especially interesting; I've never seen it. I've got the 3 Easton Press, but the rest of mine are a ragtag bunch of reading copies, barely a 1st edition among them and most in bad shape.

coderedx
09-17-2014, 06:00 AM
Nice set, that's really cool. The limited Ender's Game looks especially interesting; I've never seen it. I've got the 3 Easton Press, but the rest of mine are a ragtag bunch of reading copies, barely a 1st edition among them and most in bad shape.

My copy of EG is one of only about five I've ever seen; I paid just under $300. It is the 1992 limited edition. Card's bibliography lists another limited from 1991, but I've never seen a copy come up for sale, and I've watched Abebooks and eBay for years.

(Interesting side note about Card's bibliography: Xenocide, COTM, Shadow and the Hegemon, and Shadow of the Giant do not show a limited edition.)

I've only seen one copy of COTM and Ender in Exile. I've only seen two copies of Ender's Shadow, the other being a copy Tor recently gave away from their vault as part of one of their contests. Those three books seem to be exceptionally difficult to locate.

Just watch eBay and Abebooks. You can get the books, especially those in the Shadow series, relatively cheap. I saw a copy of Shadow of the Hegemon go for $33 last week on eBay. I paid about $150 for most of my copies, but in most instances, I think I overpaid (although the issue price is about $200, so in that sense, maybe I got a bargain?). The easiest books to find are the Shadow Series (except Ender's Shadow) and Xenocide.

coderedx
09-18-2014, 10:37 PM
For anybody that has worked with Jerad before: is he pretty slow to respond to emails? I shot him a couple of questions a couple of days ago, but I haven't heard back. I don't know whether to re-send or just wait.

bugen
09-19-2014, 01:23 AM
He's pretty much a one-man-army over there and from what I've gathered from some of the newsletters now's a very busy time for him. I get the feeling he's a conscientious guy and don't think I've ever waited for a response beyond a couple of days.

TacomaDiver
10-21-2014, 02:38 AM
Has anyone else here received this book from Centipede? I'm curious to hear if anyone else's copy came damaged.

(I have contacted Jerad about my first book, and he was great to work with. Except for the fact that the replacement copy is also damaged. Is this a normal occurrence and do I have unrealistic expectations as to what a $300 book should be like?

Book #1:

Book #2:

Tommy
10-21-2014, 03:28 AM
Not unrealistic at all, those damages are unacceptable at any price especially for $300

TacomaDiver
10-21-2014, 04:21 AM
Not unrealistic at all, those damages are unacceptable at any price especially for $300

Jerad did e-mail me back within minutes of receiving the latest pictures. He's going to look at his remaining stock and see what's happening.

I'm trying not to get frustrated - especially since he's been great to work with so far.

I just want this book to be perfect.

bugen
10-22-2014, 03:33 AM
Wow, that's terrible! Of course he'll fix it for you, but that's super-bad.

Mine has a couple of troublesome issues. The first, and this one's fixable, was the dust jacket was rubbed on two of the corners, like shelf-wear. We all know this can happen when you cram a book into a slipcase and I'm getting a new DJ.

The other 2 issues I've struggled with a bit. First:
This looks like manufacturing to me, and part of the 'handmade' process. You can see the cloth is slightly folded over, then stitched - this isn't something that happened afterward.

Second:
This photographs more severely than it looks with the eye. This looks more like an actual bump, but is not as severe as the manufacturing slight on the other corner. From this particular pic it kindof looks like manufacturing again. Another pic of same corner:

I dunno... this is among my favorite books of all time. It's a shame the run is having some issues. Like someone is having their kids help out or something at the factory.

Does anyone have an opinion on the 'bumps' on my two corners? I wish it was perfect, but I'm not sure this isn't exactly how it came off the line.

TacomaDiver
10-22-2014, 05:14 AM
When I got the first book, I figured the glue that appeared on the pages was from the slipcase not being dry before the books were inserted, but I didn't see any glue residue on the inside so I wasn't sure.

Not sure if CP is using a new printer or something, but there is some definite quality issues this run. Which is quite unfortunate considering the prestige of this book.

I'm hoping that Jerad has some remaining stock that doesn't have these issues (he said that he's only heard from one person about similar damage to what I've experienced and said it's lousy luck that I've had two damaged books.)

Dan Hocker
10-22-2014, 04:30 PM
When I got the first book, I figured the glue that appeared on the pages was from the slipcase not being dry before the books were inserted, but I didn't see any glue residue on the inside so I wasn't sure.

Not sure if CP is using a new printer or something, but there is some definite quality issues this run. Which is quite unfortunate considering the prestige of this book.

I'm hoping that Jerad has some remaining stock that doesn't have these issues (he said that he's only heard from one person about similar damage to what I've experienced and said it's lousy luck that I've had two damaged books.)

The thing with the glue is something that can happen during the binding process. And not from the slipcases, as typically the slipcases are manufactured by a separate company or division of the same company. It's something that we've seen here before, and can be easily missed if the books are slipcased at the manufacturer.

TacomaDiver
10-24-2014, 02:29 AM
Good to know. Thanks Dan!

I'm still waiting for a response from CP. Fingers crossed something can be done. Otherwise I have to decide which defective version I want to keep.

coderedx
10-24-2014, 03:37 AM
For what it is worth, my copy came out exceptionally well. It looks like there is some glue or something in the slipcase (there's a streak at the bottom or something), but it doesn't bother me. I did manage to harm my dust jacket already (which was heartbreaking!), but that's on me, not CP.

This is my first CP book. I'm pretty impressed. I hope they do a Speaker for the Dead edition.

Sock Monkey
10-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear that there have been a lot of problems with this book. I hope that it all gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

TacomaDiver
10-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Other than my condition issues, the book is gorgeous! I'll have to ping Jerad and see what's happening; hopefully I'll be able to own an exceptional copy and be able to enjoy it more.

And count me in as another vote for hoping there are other editions that follow. My wallet might disagree, but it's only money . . .

bugen
10-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Gorgeous, indeed. Here are a bunch of pics for those interested:

Ensemble

Page 1 of original manuscript

Cover sans dust jacket

bugen
10-26-2014, 07:45 PM

bugen
10-26-2014, 07:46 PM

TacomaDiver
10-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Yesterday, my new and improved copy arrived. I didn't have a chance to check it out until this morning (too busy celebrating the Seattle Sounders winning the Supporters' Shield!) but Jerad managed to find a pristine copy to send my way. (The slipcase was a little bumped in a corner, but I had two other slipcases to choose from and found one that matches the book in the pristine category.)

Now I can enjoy this book - something I haven't been able to do. Heck, I haven't even been able to look at the pictures but based on Bugen's pictures above, they are simply breathtaking.

bugen
10-28-2014, 03:12 PM
I've been brilliantly taken care of as well, and have a perfect, outrageously awesome copy of one of the best books I've read.

God's in his heaven; all's right with the world.

calason
12-17-2014, 10:28 PM
I ordered this and absolutely love it! I am on the CP mailing list and the email he sent out this week stated that if there was enough interest in more Orson Scott Card books, he would do them as Card has already said that he could. I would be WAAAYY into that!