Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel of Time or Malazan Book of the Fallen???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel of Time or Malazan Book of the Fallen???

I know this may be the wrong group for this question, but I am debating restarting one of these series next, having read several volumes of each years ago. Has anyone hear read both? If so, which would you recommend? I know Wheel of Time supposedly gets a little slow/dry around vol. 8 or 9 for a bit.

Thanks,

Brad

I haven't read the Malazan books, but the Pay Off on The Wheel of Time is pretty good. I can't remember the specifics about book 8 but book 9 is one of the best in the series. 10 and 11 are pretty slow though, but the ones towards the end were Brandon Sanderson takes over are pretty good, especially the last one.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I think the most complaints I heard were about Path of Daggers (8?). I think the whole book was a single day.

Comment

I keep circling the Malazan books, I own most of them, but I have read most of the Esslemont Malazan books.

Night of Knives (2004)
        Return of the Crimson Guard (2008)
        Stonewielder (2010)
        Orb, Sceptre, Throne (2012)
        Blood and Bone (2012)
        Assail (2014)
        I really liked Return of the Crimson Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
          I think the most complaints I heard were about Path of Daggers (8?). I think the whole book was a single day.
          Yea it's been quite awhile since I've read Path of Daggers. That said in my opinion Crossroads of Twilight is the worst, it really felt like nothing happened at all in that particular book.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Thanks Dan. I'm leaning towards WoT since I started that much earlier.

Comment

I own the complete (well, almost complete) Wheel of Time series.
              Good, but not great.
              Didn't get past book 4...or 5...??

The Malazan books....much better written, but very, very demanding.
              Don't think I got past book...3...4...??
              (I'm working on a set of limiteds, though, the SubPress books.)

One day I'll read both series all the way through.

Maybe....

sk
              Last edited by frik51; 08-08-2014, 06:40 AM.

Comment

That's close to where I got to...I think it was#7 on Wheel and part of #4 on Malazan. I agree on the "demanding" part on the Malazan series.

Comment

What's the overall thrust of the Malazan books? I hear the name tossed around now and then but haven't yet looked into them. Epic fantasy?

Comment

Yes, LOTs of characters. Great writing. Great images. The only aspect that was a big tough as a read is that he sort of dumps you in the middle. Many things are not clarified for several long books and from what I have heard, some things never are. I stopped somewhere around book 4 ,but I will definitely start over some time and read all 10. Personally, I think you need to read it as close to straight through as you can.

Comment

Working...
                    X