PDA

View Full Version : Masters of the Weird Tale versus Library of Weird Fiction

Sock Monkey
05-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Anybody have any info about the differences between the two? Obviously Library isn't signed and is sans slipcase, but are the contents the same? I'd love to start picking up the Masters series (especially with a David Case volume coming out) but Library seems like a possible low cost alternative.

mhatchett
05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I haven't received my Library titles yet, so I really can't compare. I will say that the Masters books I've gotten are oversized.
Mike

bsaenz24
05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
These are the Centipede Press books, right? I am not postive, but I beleive I saw something lately that the TOCs are slightly different.

Sock Monkey
05-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info! Mhatchett, I'd be interested in your thoughts comparing the two series when you get your Library books.

Sock Monkey
05-06-2014, 04:29 PM
These are the Centipede Press books, right? I am not postive, but I beleive I saw something lately that the TOCs are slightly different.

Yeah, these are the Centipede Press books. I wonder what the differences in the TOC are? I guess I could always just shoot Centipede an email. Don't know how soon I'd be able to pick these up if I do decide to get them. I've been really indecisive lately. Still debating on A Simple Plan.

slayn666
05-09-2014, 01:32 AM
A few years back I asked Jerad about the difference between the two KEW releases and was told the Masters of the Weird Tales edition would include a few stories not included in the Library of Weird Fiction editions. This may or may be the case with all authors.

mhatchett
05-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info! Mhatchett, I'd be interested in your thoughts comparing the two series when you get your Library books.
Hi, Got em on Friday! Very nice books. The Library books are smaller, not signed, no slipcase, but great books in their own right. As a comparison, The Library Of America Poe edition goes for about $30.00. The Centipede press edition is more expensivee, but I think, a better book. I've yet to be disappointed with a Centipede Press book.
Mike

Highbury
05-12-2014, 01:52 AM
Cool books, i'm debating about this set. Are there more books planned for this series or just this group?

mhatchett
05-13-2014, 12:43 AM
I think others are planned for sure. Does that make sense? I don't know....LOL!!!
Mike

Sock Monkey
05-13-2014, 03:46 AM
Hi, Got em on Friday! Very nice books. The Library books are smaller, not signed, no slipcase, but great books in their own right. As a comparison, The Library Of America Poe edition goes for about $30.00. The Centipede press edition is more expensivee, but I think, a better book. I've yet to be disappointed with a Centipede Press book.
Mike

Thanks for posting the comparisons. I'm still debating on getting the set (or I should say I'm debating if I can afford it right now), but that did clarify some of my questions. It would be nice if Centipede continued to produce corresponding Library versions of the Masters series.

bugen
06-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Just saw this thread, and I don't have any of the Masters books but have the Library of Weird set. I second the above and agree on overall Centipede quality; these (Library) are solid, high quality books. I've just scratched the surface of Blackwood but am going through Lovecraft. Rich, creamy pages, a solid binding, good cloth etc. certainly don't hurt the experience.

In case anyone's still looking for info here are the TOCs:

Poe:

Lovecraft:

Hodgson:

Blackwood:

Sock Monkey
06-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks, bugen! It's always good to get more feedback. The TOC is particularly helpful as I still haven't pulled the trigger on this set. I'm currently debating between this or A Mountain Walked. If only my wallet could expand to meet my needs! :-)