Essential Stephen King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential Stephen King

Don't know why our good friend Richard Thomas didn't post this himself. I found it through Facebook today on the official Stephen King page.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/richardthoma...l-stephen-king

Great list, Richard. I concur with all of them. I cannot and will not argue the inclusion of "Pet Sematary", but for some reason it never sat with me as one of the super great ones, as it has with most other people. My personal list would include "From a Buick 8", which isn't loved by most other people, but struck a chord with me, especially the use of POV and voice.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Interesting that, aside from the DT books which span 20+ years of King's career, 9 of the remaining 10 on the list come from his early "horror author" phase; Needful Things is the only one that stands outside that span. I can think of better, more essential titles than that one, but the character of Leland Gaunt is on of King's best villians (and since that was the book King published after he kicked his controlled substances habit, it has a claim on being an "essential"--but then, so would Dreamcatcher.)

Anyway, great list, aside from NT.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I like the list and could comment on a few books however I love the inclusion of The Long Walk. Good call.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised Carrie didn't make the list.

Comment

The problem with King is there are so many really good ones, it's got to be hard to make a list. Because of that, there is no way you could make a list (probably anyways) that would please everyone. Take a book like Insomnia - I have heard very good reviews, and yet there are some who don't like it very much.

Good problem to have though!

Comment

Good Point.

Originally posted by TJCams
            The problem with King is there are so many really good ones, it's got to be hard to make a list. Because of that, there is no way you could make a list (probably anyways) that would please everyone. Take a book like Insomnia - I have heard very good reviews, and yet there are some who don't like it very much.

Good problem to have though!
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
            X