PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Theli
03-04-2014, 06:14 PM
So I have yet to pick up any books from our resident author, Mr. Kelly, and I was wondering where the best place to start is. Or if you feel like chiming in yourself Ron, which book are you most proud of?

Martin
03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
I do not claim to be an expert on Mr. Kelly's work, Squire can probably give a more complete answer but I think Hell Hollow would be a great start!

cycloneed20
03-04-2014, 08:59 PM
I'd say the Ron Kelly Essentials collection from Thunderstorm books would be the place to start. I'm reading "Hindsight" right now. And, then I'll delve into the sequel "Restless Shadows soon after. Thunderstorm is pricey though.

bookworm 1
03-04-2014, 11:53 PM
I always try and start with short stories when I find a new author. If they can tell a good story in a few pages their longer work is usually pretty good. I would recommend if you have an e reader to start with After the Burn a great collection also Midnight Grinding is a super collection. Bad Moon books also put out a collection of Ron's stories called Cumberland Furnace and other fear-forged fables. I believe some of thoes stories are in Midnight Grinding. Bad Moon still has paperback copies available of Cumberland and After the Burn. If you want a longer story My personal favorite is Timber Gray. I have the Essentials but have not started them. With the last 4 due this year I just might start them in May and read one a month for the rest of the year. Hope that helps.

srboone
03-05-2014, 04:23 AM
Excellent recomendations, Tom! After the Burn is a great place to start. The first writing of Ron's I read was Midnight Grinding. It was the short story "Forever Angels" that made me a fan (that story is one of my favorite short stories as well)--everytime I reread it, it sends chills down my spine.

Hell Hollow is a lot of fun, very atmospheric. I've only read the first two essentials Undertaker's Moon and Fear. Both are very good as well.

Honestly, you could pick up any book by Ron and be amply rewarded. But After the Burn will show you the great heights Ron can achieve with his writing.

Theli
03-05-2014, 05:18 AM
Cool, thanks for the opinions guys! Might go for After the Burn or Hell Hollow, if I can get my hands on them.

Actually I should scour my anthologies and back issues of CD to see if I have any of Ron Kelly short stories already in my collection.

srboone
03-05-2014, 10:07 AM
"Forever Angels" is in #1 if you've got that issue! If you bought Turn down the Lights trade HC, Ron has "The Outhouse" in that anthology.

Here's a sample of Ron's work from his website:

http://www.ronaldkelly.com/sample-the-storytellers-work/

Ronald Kelly
03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your comments, everyone. It's gratifying to know that folks enjoy (and know) my work well enough to make on-target suggestions to those who have yet spooned out a heaping helping of Southern-fried horror gumbo.

Theli, I'd suggest the following to get you aquainted with my fiction:

Novels: FEAR, HELL HOLLOW, UNDERTAKER'S MOON, BLOOD KIN
Short story collections: AFTER THE BURN, MIDNIGHT GRINDING (pre-1996), CUMBERLAND FURNACE (post-2006), THE SICK STUFF.

My personal favorites/ Novels: HINDSIGHT, FEAR, UNDERTAKER'S MOON
Favorite short stories: Flesh Welder, Midnight Grinding, Beneath Black Bayou, Tanglewood

Theli
03-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the response, Ron. And thanks for the tip, Squire, I unfortunately have neither.

Ronald Kelly
03-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Theli, the following stories were published in Cemetery Dance Magazine: Forever Angels, Diary, The Cistern, The Winds Within, Romicide, and Exit 85. I can't tell you, off the top of my head, exactly what issues they appeared in.

Dan Hocker
03-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the response, Ron. And thanks for the tip, Squire, I unfortunately have neither.

We have Midnight Grinding as an eBook as well.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/e_kelly01

Theli
03-06-2014, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the tip, but no e-reader for me, I love the physical format too much.

Theli
03-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Theli, the following stories were published in Cemetery Dance Magazine: Forever Angels, Diary, The Cistern, The Winds Within, Romicide, and Exit 85. I can't tell you, off the top of my head, exactly what issues they appeared in.

Unfortunately I don't have many issues of the CD mag. I just checked and no Ronald Kelly stories :(

Ben Staad
03-06-2014, 04:09 AM
FWIW I really enjoyed After The Burn.

srboone
03-06-2014, 04:18 AM
It's worth a great deal! We need to keep the pressure on Theli to start in on Ron's works! :)

Ben Staad
03-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Good point.

It's worth a great deal! We need to keep the pressure on Theli to start in on Ron's works! :)

Ronald Kelly
03-06-2014, 07:47 PM
There are plenty of my old (real) books on eBay and Amazon... and Bad Moon has a few, too. Don't give up on me yet, Theli! Please, please.... :(

goathunter
03-07-2014, 03:43 AM
There is a (now out-of-date) list of Ron's short stories and where they originally appeared on his website (http://www.ronaldkelly.com/short-stories/). It doesn't list issue numbers, but does list the year for each listing.

Hunter

Theli
03-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Ha ha! Ain't giving up at all. I fully plan to track down a couple books this next week. Looks like it's possible to track CD's copy of Hell Hollow for a reasonable price. Thanks again for all the replies!

RJK1981
03-08-2014, 02:18 AM
Haven't read much of Ron's work yet, but absolutely loved Undertaker's Moon! Heard very good things about his work here on these forums, so even though I had never read anything of Ron's I spent the $65 (Plus whatever shipping was, which I don't recall) to get that one direct from Thunderstorm. If I'd had the money I definitely would have been buying all of Ron's Thunderstorm titles as their production quality is great. Once I have the money I plan to get more of them though. May have to go with eBook editions though, but we'll see

Theli
03-08-2014, 07:49 AM
The premise for Undertaker's Moon really caught my attention, too bad the L/E is pretty expensive on the secondary market. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good deal!

Ronald Kelly
03-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Paul at Thunderstorm saw this thread on the forum and contacted me concerning a deal he's willing to offer. He's putting together a couple (2) of Ron Kelly multi-book packages for a price that can't be beat. Not sure which books will be included (they won't include Restless Shadows), but this would be a good chance for someone who hasn't read my work yet to get some really nice RK books. If you're interested you can contact Paul here: info@thunderstormbooks.com

Ben Staad
03-08-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure what the deal is but pretty cool of him to put something together.

Paul at Thunderstorm saw this thread on the forum and contacted me concerning a deal he's willing to offer. He's putting together a couple (2) of Ron Kelly multi-book packages for a price that can't be beat. Not sure which books will be included (they won't include Restless Shadows), but this would be a good chance for someone who hasn't read my work yet to get some really nice RK books. If you're interested you can contact Paul here: info@thunderstormbooks.com

Theli
03-09-2014, 12:26 AM
Very cool, I'll shoot him an e-mail tomorrow, thanks Ron!

Theli
03-12-2014, 05:35 AM
Well, I have more than enough to start with on it's way!

srboone
03-12-2014, 06:12 AM
Glad to hear that, Theli! Hope you enjoy your trips to RK-land. What titles di you get?

Ben Staad
03-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Congrats. Hope you enjoy them.

Ronald Kelly
03-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks for jumping into the quicksand of my Southern-fried fiction, feet-first, Dan. Hopefully it'll hold fast and won't let go and you'll enjoy Ol' Ron's stuff for years to come. :)

Theli
03-12-2014, 07:45 PM
I have a feeling I will!

Sock Monkey
03-16-2014, 12:39 AM

So curiosity is getting the better of me: what do you have on the way?

Theli
03-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Getting Timber Gray, Fear and Dark'un from Paul. And Restless Shadows from Ron, but I gotta shoot him a bit more for postage cause Canadian postage can be a bitch.

srboone
03-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Some great titles! Enjoy!

Sock Monkey
03-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Very nice! I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

Julien82
08-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Hi there
I just bought Fear for my Kindle. I love horror stories but just know the more famous ones (Barker, Koontz, King, Laymon). I just discovered Cemetery Dance, Bad Moon, Subterranean because I was looking for limited edition books from Clive Barker.
I'm getting more and more interested in the books your releasing and starting to read some of them.

RJK1981
09-01-2014, 10:37 AM
I have the forum members here to thank for getting me into Ronald Kelly, and Cemetery Dance in general for introducing me to Joe Lansdale, Brian Keene, Douglas Clegg, Simon Clark and more! Was really only familiar with King and Laymon before that I can remember. Was more into fantasy before coming to love horror so much.

RJK1981
09-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Will be getting Dark'Un and Restless Shadows from Ron thanks to winning Restless Shadows on eBay and Ron offering me another copy of Dark'Un that he had available for the price I won Restless Shadows. Eagerly waiting for to add them to be collection :D Want to get all of his Thunderstorm titles when I am able to.

Sock Monkey
09-07-2014, 04:44 AM
I was watching that Restless Shadows auction! Congrats on the win! I've been meaning to pick up the Essentials line from Thunderstorm as well. Maybe one of these days I'll start tracking them down.

RJK1981
09-08-2014, 03:04 AM
Thanks. So far I just have one, Undertaker's Moon, but now that money shouldn't be so tight I might be able to get the whole set at some point. Just have to find them at decent prices when I have the spending money. I am planning on selling some more books here soon, so that'll add to what I have for books :D Don't know if Restless Shadows is one of the Essentials or not since it wasn't listed as being one on the eBay listing, but as a Black Voltage release. Doesn't matter to me though, just wanted the book, lol. I do know The Dark'Un is the 3rd in the Essentials line though