Shelving books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelving books?

So, how do you guys shelve your books - by author? Title? Publisher? Do you mix signed/ltd's with trades, if from the same publisher? Do you keep your mass market hardcovers separate from your small press?
    I'm about to re-organise, but not sure which way to go about it.
    Lincoln.

I am currently in the midst of re-organizing my DVDs, all alphabetically. My regular book shelf is organized alphabetically by author, then title or chronological order in the case of series. Anthologies I keep separate and I had organized simply by title, I think if I re-did it I would do it by editor, but still kep my antho's separate. My signed/limited are organized by publisher currently, and with that I group works by the same author together. it's really not organized though, when I organize my collection(I only started collecting s/l's a little over a year ago), I will probably do alphabetically by author and not by publisher. That said, i do like the uniform look of organzing by publisher.

Comment

I shelve my collectible books by Publisher, then size. My Trade HCs by author.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I shelve all my regular hardback copies by author. My S/L editions I keep separately on a different bookcase.
        "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
        - Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
          I shelve my collectible books by Publisher, then size.
          You know I might do that. I do like the way they look on the shelf, but for organization pruposes I much prefer alphabetical, which is what I have for my regular hard covers and paperbacks.

Comment

I have over 100 items in my Ramsey Campbell collection and I like to keep them all together - but, it looks a bit funny having a random Centipede Press book, or Scream Press book, away from the others.

Comment

I mainly keep my small press and mass market books separate, and from there I keep my similarly sized books organized together and authors together mostly. I don't keep vastly differing sized books together to keep the authors together though, like Douglas Clegg's Wild Things and Neverland. I don't keep them organized alphabetically or anything like that though, so I will keep . I will always keep them ordered by series if they belong in one though, such as the Cemetery Dance Sig. Series and Novella Series and Thunderstorm's Maelstrom books. My books are always being moved around when I get more, so it's easier not too get to bogged down on how I organize them. Learned not to care too much when I tried keeping my movies organized by title when I had a few. Moving things around every time I got a new movie was too much of a hassle after awhile, so I stopped trying, lol.
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
                I have over 100 items in my Ramsey Campbell collection and I like to keep them all together - but, it looks a bit funny having a random Centipede Press book, or Scream Press book, away from the others.
                I face the same problem with my collections (not too that extent though), it's a tough call really.

Comment

I have all my Kings, both mass and limited editions in one book case. Soon I'll need another.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I have my mass market and limited King's separated myself.

I also tend to store my slipcased books together.
                    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                    Spoiler!

Comment

I keep all my Stephen King books and related (anthologies, etc) together. That's roughly 25 linear feet of shelf space. I gave up trying to keep anything else organized. Almost every other bookshelf in the house is already stacked two deep, so I can't see over 50% of my books at this point.

Comment

Mine are by author, then release date. Books in a series stay together. Different editions of the same book stay together regardless of release date. Anthologies, of which I only have one or two, are by editor.

Comment

I keep everything by Author. My special editions are mixed in with the regular stuff, unless they are an odd size. The big collectibles are on a different shelf, by author.
                          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I have been trying to reorganize my bookshelves for almost a year. Never thought it could be so hard. Right now I am going by author but small press together and paperbacks together. Then there's all the multiple author collections. Still not sure about how I am going to organize them. Great topic.

Comment

I put everything by author and chronologically, except series which are grouped.

Comment

Working...
                              X