• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosemary's Baby miniseries

Interesting bit of news.

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/rose...1100/?_r=true#
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Wow, this means I better read my old paperback copy of this soon!
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

Interesting. Kind of cool to have an Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby TV series on the horizon.

Comment

They will probably make a TV miniseries of The Omen next...
        "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
        - Stephen King

Comment

Ha, good call. Funny thing is I would really watch any of them if only I watched TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
            Ha, good call. Funny thing is I would really watch any of them if only I watched TV.
            That's because TV is for appearing on rather than watching.
            "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
            - Stephen King

Comment

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I think it might be pretty interesting. On the other, the movie is a masterpiece and stands up rather well. If I had the choice, I would rather new ideas be developed or concepts that didn't quite reach their potential the first time around be reinvigorated than just redoing the same old same old. Maybe I'm just getting tired of all the remakes, especially the ones that seem to tread water instead of add anything new or original. Only time will tell which camp this will fall into. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope this kicks butt.

Comment

It's NBC. I don't hold out much hope. They had the bright idea to do "The Sound of Music" live. A ratings bonanza, but a horrible production.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

NBC's Rosemary's Baby miniseries' due date is Mother's Day--Sunday, April 11 at 9pm-11pm EST (that's a lot possessives all in a row!) The second half will be Thursday, April 15 in the same time slot. The setting has been moved from New York to Paris, but the rest of the story is supposed to closely follow the book.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Hey now, Universal employee here, and I played a not insignificant role in overseeing the production of the DVD for Sound of Music (Live) that streeted the week after the live network airdate. I can't tell you how difficult this was to accomplish. And yes, it sucked - the process and the final product.

For Rosemary's Baby, I actually read this for the first time about a year ago and was floored. The question for the miniseries is, "how do you handle the ending"? Had a conversation with a colleague a few days ago about this very thing. Can the show really end the same way the book did in today's environment?
                    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Eesh, doesn't look like the show did too well last night. Did anyone have any positive experience with it, or was it just bad? (Or maybe no one even saw it, which the ratings seem to suggest)
                      Last edited by bugen; 05-12-2014, 10:10 PM.
                      -John Barth

Comment

It went for gore rather than pyschological shocks. Zoe Saldana is pretty good, but the guy playing her husband is bland and uninteresting. There were some interesting elements that weren't in the original movie. I haven't read the book, so I don't know if they were there at all.

Overall, the whole thing felt padded to fill two two-hour timeslots.

Now the question is: Watch part 2 from 8-10 on Thursday? Or go see Godzilla in IMAX 3D from 7-10? Hmmm......
                        Last edited by srboone; 05-13-2014, 05:36 AM.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Hmm, ok thanks for posting. It's interesting there's a gore element as opposed to the psychological tailspin the main character enters in the book. Even the omnipresent reader can't really tell how everything is going to shake out until it actually does in one of the coolest endings I've ever read. I barely remember the movie from 15(ish) years ago and don't recall exactly how it was handled, but I believe the character was brought to a slow boil like the book as everyone, including the viewer/reader, questions her sanity. I need to watch this again someday.

Thanks for the review. I think Godzilla might have the popular vote for Thurs... either way, enjoy!
                          -John Barth

Comment

I really liked the first episode, but it was also flawed in many ways. Being an NBC show has neutered the show, it feels like an 18+ show that had bern censored. The subject matter does not lend to a PG 14 rating. My second beef with it is the screenplay. Many of the lines and character interactions felt clunky and unnatural.
                            With that said I loved the story and themes, the setting. The actors seem appropriate. I'll be watching more.

Comment

Transporting the story to Paris was a stroke of genius. The Anti-christ in the City of Lights! The possibilities were enticing enough to watch the first episode, but not much was made of it. But I'll watch the episode on Thursday, too.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                              X