PDA

View Full Version : SubPress: Clive Barker's Books of Blood (6 volume set)

bsaenz24
11-06-2013, 05:29 PM
SubPress mentioned this on the site today. Even having the trade and limited omnibus volume from Stealth Press, I might still get this. After all, it's Books of Blood kiddies!!

pennynutter
11-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Wow, I'm all in on this one! Please share when it goes up for order.

Theli
11-06-2013, 05:50 PM
I would like to pick them all up, but it depends on price point.

Neiaushie79
11-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Kind of scared to see the price, but I still think it'll will be worth it. My husband won't think so, but that's okay, because I have a better set of puppy eyes than our three year old! lol

bsaenz24
11-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I will just hope SubPress does not repeat what Stealth Press did and that was include a nude photo of Barker in the book! I never felt a need to see "Little Clive"!

Highbury
11-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Meh, i just could never get into some of Barker's stuff, just too far out there for me.

Theli
11-07-2013, 05:14 AM
I will just hope SubPress does not repeat what Stealth Press did and that was include a nude photo of Barker in the book! I never felt a need to see "Little Clive"!

This makes me want this edition more lol.

Sock Monkey
11-07-2013, 02:40 PM

Never understood why they did that. Pretty much nixed the idea of getting that edition. Pretty excited for the SP edition. Anybody want to start guessing what the price will be for all six volumes? I'm thinking somewhere between 350 and 400 bucks.Though I'm hoping it will be less.

This announcement pretty much takes the wind out of Dark Regions's sails. They just announced that their Barker project will be a limited of just "The Midnight Meat Train". Though if I can't afford the SP set then I might have to settle for the DRP offering.

Theli
11-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Is Midnight Meat Train in the books of blood?

T-Dogz_AK47
11-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Is Midnight Meat Train in the books of blood?

Yes, it's part of Volume One. :cool:

bookworm 1
11-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Dark Regions is doing a limited of Midnight Meat Train next year.Artwork by the man himself. Clive Barker is hit or miss with me. Love the books of blood and The Great and Secret Show as well as Everville and The Thief of Always. Most of the rest were ugh for me. I will have to think about this one.

bookworm 1
11-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Umm.... Sorry for you......:p. No not really. I think after thinking about this if the price is right I might go with the Sub. Press edition. Just have to wait and see.
Guys, I have that Stealth Press edition :o

T-Dogz_AK47
12-10-2013, 05:40 AM
If I remember correctly, the last 6 volume book set that Sub Press released was the 10th Anniversary Edition of The Green Mile.

This was priced at:

Gift Edition $150
Signed Limited $900
Lettered Edition $2,500

If Sub Press announce a similar pricing strategy for Clive Barker's Books of Blood, then I will have to pass. I cannot justify $900 for a S/L.

Theli
12-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Agreed. I'm hoping around $300-400, I hope that's not unrealistic.

KNOMDAM
04-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Up for ordering at Subterranean Press, There goes my replenished funds.

TJCams
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Books of Blood is a set I want at some point, but not for this price. Will have to try to find them on the used market hopefully.

frik51
04-29-2014, 04:54 PM
I love these books, but Barker's artwork I can do without - hate it.
So, I'll pass.

sk

Theli
04-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Talk about a reasonable price! I just pre-ordered the Books of Blood through Camelotbooks.com, $250 for a signed edition. Happy days! Thought I would have to miss on this one! Also I dig Barker's art, surreal and unnusual, it's unique, and I think fits his subjects well. That's the main reason I ordered Midnight Meat Train from DRP.

Mike88
04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Just ordered it myself. Been eagerly waiting this one. Bought mine from Sub Press. Every once in awhile they will offer something to the people who ordered from them and the price is the same everywhere.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Although I am a big fan of The Books of Blood, I'm going to pass on this. I was never keen on the idea of a multi-volume edition and I'm not fond of Clive Barker's particular brand of surrealistic artwork. :(

For $250, I would rather wait and purchase CD's Artist Edition of Salem's Lot when it is announced later this year. :)

Theli
04-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Fair enough, Tim. What do you think of the Scream Press edition in one massive volume?

bookworm 1
04-29-2014, 07:00 PM
I bought this. Like Mister Barkers short stories. His art work is like his his longer works. Hit or miss. I passed on Midnight Meat Train in hopes that this was not going to be over priced. At less then $50 a book you can't beat the price. Just wish the money did not have to be all up front.

Theli
04-29-2014, 07:49 PM
^Camelotbooks.com

Lincoln
04-29-2014, 11:31 PM
Ordered the limited. I like the majority of his artwork, and this collection is second only to Campbell's 'Dark Companions', in my opinion. Reading this in the mid 80's was a game changer for me, at the impressionable age of 14.
I think it's sensible to break it up into six volumes, but I'm pretty sure Barker always wanted it as one book, like the Stealth Press edition.

Sock Monkey
04-30-2014, 02:28 AM
Looks like I'm going to pass on this, mostly due to low funds. I find Barker's artwork to be hit and miss, but always interesting. Congratulations to all who did pick one up I'm sure that the set will be very nice. I also agree that Camelot Books is awesome and their selection is great.

srboone
04-30-2014, 03:01 AM
I'm gonna have to pass also. I passed on the Midnight Meat Train as I want to get it in the BoB one day. Just not today.

Ford Prefect
04-30-2014, 05:24 AM
Well, I bought this immediately. I love Stephen King, but Cliver Barker is a very close second. The Books of Blood were life-changing to me. Clive's very inspirational to me as a writer. I bought all the paperbacks in the 80s... mine had those covers with awful photographs of masks of tree-people or whatever they were. The later three books weren't as bad.
I bought the Stealth Press omnibus, too, and I didn't mind the cover at all, but I found the book completely unacceptable because of all the hyphens that popped up in the middle of words in the middle of sentences. There were so many it got to be too distracting. Did nobody proof the book after it was typeset?

Plus, the Stealth Press book is just... huge. A wrist-killer. I like to read while I eat and it's hard to do both with a gigantic book. Six smaller volumes preserves the intent and feel of the books as well.

Plus, having Clive's original artwork is fantastic! My family moved to England in 89 (from the US) and I started picking up the paperbacks with this artwork in grocery stores, bookstores, etc. Having them on hardbacks at long last is pretty damn exciting.

So I'll have the new editions of these books, Weaveworld, and Cabal, plus his early writings whenever that comes out. (I skipped The Damnation Game since that didn't seem to have enough extras for me to spring for it for that price.) I wonder if Imajica is next?

theenormityofitall
04-30-2014, 04:09 PM
These books don't even have original artwork and signed by him on only one book?? I think I'll stick to my Stealth limited.

Ford Prefect
04-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah, but that artwork hasn't been released in the US before. I remember looking at a few in Fangoria, and then picking them off the shelves in the UK. They're fabulous. If you're thinking of Clive's later sloppy paintings, these are completely different. I think these are professional quality:

Plasticine
04-30-2014, 04:33 PM
I just ordered the set from Camelot Books. I have the Stealth omnibus, and absolutely love it, but couldn't resist this edition. The Stealth is amazing, but its not very reader friendly. Plus I've always loved Clive's original artwork, so it'll be wonderful to have that on a new edition. Now, I'll have the new editions of Cabal and Weaveworld and the stand alone Midnight Meat Train. I really wish I hadn't missed out on the Damnation Game. I put my name in to be notified in case some copies become available, but I'm not very hopeful that will happen.

Theli
04-30-2014, 04:48 PM
^Keep watching the forums after it's released there might be some extra copies announced. Along with my other 2 Barker pre-orders, The Damnation Game and Midnight Meat Train, these will be my first Barker L/Es.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Fair enough, Tim. What do you think of the Scream Press edition in one massive volume?

I have never actually seen pictures of the Scream Press edition, so I cannot comment. I know about the Stealth Press edition though, but I heard that edition had problems with many book covers getting dinged against the clasp on the traycase. :eek:

I do like the idea of a super deluxe oversized single volume though. That would be magic!!! :D :cool: :cool:

bsaenz24
04-30-2014, 07:06 PM
I've said it before...the only issue I had with the Stealth Press limited of Book of Blood was the nude picture of Clive Barker. Personally, I could have done with out it as I don't think it added anything to the book.

theenormityofitall
04-30-2014, 07:26 PM
I've said it before...the only issue I had with the Stealth Press limited of Book of Blood was the nude picture of Clive Barker. Personally, I could have done with out it as I don't think it added anything to the book.

Lol I here ya there.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Yeah, I don't want to see his Midnight Meat Train thanks... :rolleyes: ;) :p

bsaenz24
04-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I don't want to see his Midnight Meat Train thanks... :rolleyes: ;) :p

LOL!! Exactly!

Tommy
04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
I just ordered the set from Camelot Books. I have the Stealth omnibus, and absolutely love it, but couldn't resist this edition. The Stealth is amazing, but its not very reader friendly. Plus I've always loved Clive's original artwork, so it'll be wonderful to have that on a new edition. Now, I'll have the new editions of Cabal and Weaveworld and the stand alone Midnight Meat Train. I really wish I hadn't missed out on the Damnation Game. I put my name in to be notified in case some copies become available, but I'm not very hopeful that will happen.

Bad Moon Books has about 8 copies left
http://www.badmoonbooks.com/product.php?productid=3799&cat=0&page=1

Plasticine
04-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Thanks for letting me know about Bad Moon Books, Tommy. I just ordered a copy.

Tommy
05-01-2014, 02:05 AM

No Problem! Glad I could help! :cool:

Theli
05-01-2014, 04:35 AM
I have never actually seen pictures of the Scream Press edition, so I cannot comment. I know about the Stealth Press edition though, but I heard that edition had problems with many book covers getting dinged against the clasp on the traycase. :eek:

I do like the idea of a super deluxe oversized single volume though. That would be magic!!! :D :cool: :cool:

That's the one I meant actually. Though I suppose Scream Press actually did release an omnibus of the first 3.

Theli
05-01-2014, 04:38 AM

Congrats!

Plasticine
05-03-2014, 03:34 AM
Congrats!

Thanks. I spent money I shouldn't have, but decided it's better to snatch it up now instead of dealing with resellers later on.

Theli
05-03-2014, 02:08 PM
^That's par for the course around here! ;) :D

T-Dogz_AK47
05-03-2014, 02:43 PM
^That's par for the course around here! ;) :D

Very true that!! ;) :o :p

RJK1981
05-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks. I spent money I shouldn't have, but decided it's better to snatch it up now instead of dealing with resellers later on.

That's what I did with the Anniversary edition of IT (Gift edition, Limited Edition, and the art portfolio. Over $700 combined after shipping!). Of course I wasn't married at the time, just engaged to be married later that year

Theli
05-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Which was of course was called off promptly when she learned you spent $700 on two books :p

Theli
05-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know if there is a limited edition of Hellbound Heart?

Tommy
05-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if there is a limited edition of Hellbound Heart?

I believe there is an anniversary edition, maybe tenth?

Edit: 20th anniversary

Tommy
05-03-2014, 05:27 PM
http://www.clivebarker.info/hellboundhbib.html

Theli
05-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Cool, thanks! Might have to try to track one down. I don't own any Earthling pub. books yet.

Tommy
05-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Me either, I desperately want one of those Weaveworld S/L's but I will have to save my pennies, the Hellbound Heart seems to be going for $300+ for a nice copy

Theli
05-03-2014, 05:45 PM
I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a reasonably priced copy.

T-Dogz_AK47
05-03-2014, 06:57 PM
I am hoping that CD follow up The Damnation Game with a super deluxe oversized edition of The Hellbound Heart. That would be awesome!!!!! :cool:

Theli
05-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Ha ha, we can always hope!

jigertz
05-04-2014, 12:41 AM
I have a lettered copy of the Earthling Hellbound Heart--one of my favorites in my collection. I found it on Abebooks.com a couple years ago for $600. Now Camelot Books has one they're selling for $5,000. The limited is also nice--I got a PC copy direct from Earthling a year or so ago, but it comes in a pretty ugly brown slipcase.

T-Dogz_AK47
05-04-2014, 11:31 AM
I have a lettered copy of the Earthling Hellbound Heart--one of my favorites in my collection. I found it on Abebooks.com a couple years ago for $600. Now Camelot Books has one they're selling for $5,000. The limited is also nice--I got a PC copy direct from Earthling a year or so ago, but it comes in a pretty ugly brown slipcase.

The lettered edition sounds awesome!! :cool: :cool:

Have you got any photos of it you could share with us? :D

jigertz
05-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Right now all of my books are at home in the states while I'm in China. I will try to get pictures of everything and start a collection thread when I'm home for a few weeks this summer.

Sock Monkey
05-05-2014, 03:44 AM
I'm surprised to see that both editions are still available. I figured they'd be sold out by now.

I would love lettered edition of The Hellbound Heart. I'm super jealous! With Earthling, CD, and Subterranean all publishing limited editions of Barker's work, I wonder who will land the rights to publish a signed limited of The Scarlet Gospels?