Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What publishing features would make the Ultimate Limited Edition Stephen King book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What publishing features would make the Ultimate Limited Edition Stephen King book

I have read somewhere that the Centipede Press release of Salem's Lot is regarded as the most deluxe limited edition Stephen King book ever published.

Whether this is true or not, what publishing features do you think make the ultimate limited edition Stephen King book?

Is it the type of paper used?
    The size/dimensions of the book?
    Whether it's bound in leather or another material?
    The number of signatures?
    Whether it's remarqued?
    Type of artwork used?
    Type of Traycase/Slipcase?

I would be interested to know what everyone thinks about this and whether people think the Centipede Press edition of Salem's Lot really is the most deluxe.
    Last edited by T-Dogz_AK47; 10-18-2013, 05:13 AM.
    "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
    - Stephen King

I have the Centipede Press book and while I love the size and even the photos in place of drawn/painted artwork, I HATE!!! the material of the cover. It is such a dust magnet that I constantly consider selling it just because I hate cleaning it!

In other news, I think lots of artwork really adds to a limited for me. I also love editions with extra material like SubPress did with NOS4A2. Bonus points for oversized editions!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
      I have the Centipede Press book and while I love the size and even the photos in place of drawn/painted artwork, I HATE!!! the material of the cover. It is such a dust magnet that I constantly consider selling it just because I hate cleaning it!

In other news, I think lots of artwork really adds to a limited for me. I also love editions with extra material like SubPress did with NOS4A2. Bonus points for oversized editions!
      Do you have the edition that is bound in cloth or the one that is bound in Nigerian goatskin? I am just wondering if they are both dust magnets, as I have heard several horror stories about dust on the cloth edition.
      "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
      - Stephen King

Comment

I think the reason Centipede Press is so good is because they are always trying to make their version unique, they also end up costing a bit. My favourite things for a limited: Leather binding, new cover art, interior art, both colour and black and white, signatures from author(s) and artists, extra material either alternate endings or short stories, or in the case of deceased authors unpublished material or essays by other famous authors/editors, something to house it in, a tray case or slipcase, larger than normal size (I love my new copy of It), silk ribbon, coloured, gilted or gold painted paper edging, coloured print (if enchancing or necessary), a sewn, not glued binding, good quality paper (don't know much about paper stock), and most importantly for an ultimate edition, something to make it unique, like Bloodletting and Centipede do, like CD and Lonely Road do on their ultimate editions. An example would be the asbestos Firestarter, or the like in CP print of Frank Herbert's the Fog with the foggy see through endpapers before the title and sig sheet. As usual these would have a small print, I am a fan of a 100-150 count, but lettered often come 26 or 52. The most important for me is the signatures, the interior art and the slipcase/housing. I love a leather binding though.

Remarques are a nice bonus, but I think it should be offered at purchase, I like the actual book or binding to be different or unique.
        Last edited by Theli; 10-18-2013, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
          Do you have the edition that is bound in cloth or the one that is bound in Nigerian goatskin? I am just wondering if they are both dust magnets, as I have heard several horror stories about dust on the cloth edition.
          It's the 300 copy cloth. I'd go skin my own goat if I thought I could replace that damn dust collector!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
            It's the 300 copy cloth. I'd go skin my own goat if I thought I could replace that damn dust collector!!!
            LOL!!!
            - Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
              I think the reason Centipede Press is so good is because they are always trying to make their version unique, they also end up costing a bit. My favourite things for a limited: Leather binding, new cover art, interior art, both colour and black and white, signatures from author(s) and artists, extra material either alternate endings or short stories, or in the case of deceased authors unpublished material or essays by other famous authors/editors, something to house it in, a tray case or slipcase, larger than normal size (I love my new copy of It), silk ribbon, coloured, gilted or gold painted paper edging, coloured print (if enchancing or necessary), a sewn, not glued binding, good quality paper (don't know much about paper stock), and most importantly for an ultimate edition, something to make it unique, like Bloodletting and Centipede do, like CD and Lonely Road do on their ultimate editions. An example would be the asbestos Firestarter, or the like in CP print of Frank Herbert's the Fog with the foggy see through endpapers before the title and sig sheet. As usual these would have a small print, I am a fan of a 100-150 count, but lettered often come 26 or 52. The most important for me is the signatures, the interior art and the slipcase/housing. I love a leather binding though.

Remarques are a nice bonus, but I think it should be offered at purchase, I like the actual book or binding to be different or unique.
              Excellent feedback Theli, thanks!!!

The books you mention are brilliant examples of truly fine editions. I too agree that an ultimate edition needs to be unique in order to stand out from the crowd.

I also like the idea of an ultimate edition being oversized - the bigger and heavier the better. Apparently, the Centipede Press edition of Salem's Lot measured 9 x 13 inches and weighed more than 13 pounds.
              - Stephen King

Comment

My favorite features are / would be:

Leather Binding
                Original Color Artwork (And lots of it!)
                A Nice Slipcase
                An Alternative Ending or Related Short Story
                A Good Introduction to Book
                Commentary by the Author at the Start or the End

I am also a sucker for high quality paper and printing. And I love deckle edge...

Comment

Originally posted by coderedx View Post
                  My favorite features are / would be:

Leather Binding
                  Original Color Artwork (And lots of it!)
                  A Nice Slipcase
                  An Alternative Ending or Related Short Story
                  A Good Introduction to Book
                  Commentary by the Author at the Start or the End

I am also a sucker for high quality paper and printing. And I love deckle edge...
                  Slipcases are good, but I think I prefer a traycase, as they look great on display and protect a book better than a slipcase.

Deckled edges can definitely make a book appear unique and expensive. However, apart from the CP edition of Salem's Lot, I can't think of what other book has come with deckled edges...
                  - Stephen King

Comment

NOS4A2 US Trade edition is deckled. I have many books that are deckled, none of which are limited editions though.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                      NOS4A2 US Trade edition is deckled. I have many books that are deckled, none of which are limited editions though.
                      Thanks again Theli, I hadn't realised NOS4A2 was deckled...
                      - Stephen King

Comment

Working...
                      X