Most adapted horror author?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most adapted horror author?

Which horror author (other than Stephen King) has the most TV/Movie adaptations of their work? For my mopney I'm going with Clive Barker, he's had as much success in film as he has in other mediums. Hellraiser, Candyman, Midnight Meat Train, Book of Blood and his Master of Horror episodes were all enjoyable films. Plus the tons of Hellraiser sequels.

Without doing any research and just going with my gut feeling, I'd have to agree on Clive Barker as well.

Comment

H.P. Lovecraft or Richard Maheson? My guesses.

Comment

I kind of forgot about older authors, Poe would have to be at or near the top of the list. Yeah Matheson has tons of TV work.

Comment

Hmm, thats true, Matheson does have a lot of tv stuff.

Comment

I think the Roger Corman Poe films alone, might put EAP on the top of the list. Without looking it up, I can think of about 10 Matheson theatrical movies.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Well, I'm older so those guys come to mind pretty readily. I remember waiting in line for Corman's Vincent Price Movies.
              MDH

Comment

Having sourced the IMDB for the official answer to this, it seems that Edgar Allan Poe outstrips even Stephen King by 110 adaptations. The official breakdown is as follows:

279 Film & TV credits Edgar Allan Poe
                169 Film & TV credits Stephen King
                123 Film & TV credits H.P. Lovecraft
                81 Film & TV credits Richard Matheson
                79 Film & TV credits Bram Stoker
                73 Film & TV credits Gaston Leroux
                66 Film & TV credits Mary Shelley
                30 Film & TV credits Clive Barker
                "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                - Stephen King

Comment

Good research T-Dogz. And to think, all those credits Stoker, Leroux, and Shelley mostly came from single works for each.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                    Good research T-Dogz. And to think, all those credits Stoker, Leroux, and Shelley mostly came from single works for each.
                    Which means there is probably just as many versions of Jekyll & Hyde.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                    Well, I'm older so those guys come to mind pretty readily. I remember waiting in line for Corman's Vincent Price Movies.
                    MDH
                    I love Corman's Poe films, especially Masque of the Red Death. I wish Corman had taking directing more seriously because his early works are astounding. Nonetheless he has produced a mountain of movies and helped many fledgling directors and actors.

Comment

One of my earliest TV/movie memories is watching "The Pit and the Pendulum" with my mother. I know it was before I started school, because the older kids were in bed since they were in school already.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                        Which means there is probably just as many versions of Jekyll & Hyde.

I love Corman's Poe films, especially Masque of the Red Death. I wish Corman had taking directing more seriously because his early works are astounding. Nonetheless he has produced a mountain of movies and helped many fledgling directors and actors.
                        According to the IMDB, there have been 38 Film and TV adaptations of Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
                        "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                        - Stephen King

Comment

Working...
                        X