Self Published E-Book on Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Published E-Book on Amazon

So, has anyone here done it? How does it work? Is it worth it?

I've browsed some forums and such searching for answers. Opinions vary, that's why I'd like to turn to you guys for some feedback on this as this forum is a trusted place.

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
    So, has anyone here done it? How does it work? Is it worth it?
    These are just my thoughts and opinions...

Both of my collections, THESE OLD TALES and FRESH CUT TALES, were self-published through my abandoned idea of a small press. I've touched briefly on this in a few interviews and in the back of the latest collection. Was it worth it? I think a lot of that depends on what you want to get out of it. THESE OLD TALES was for me, my break with writing. I had given up entirely and just wanted to walk away with what I had written in print. But I tried to do my best with the collection, and even experimented with pricing and design and all sorts of factors that a small press owner would have to deal with. If the collection had not received as much attention as it did, I would have never tried a second time. My second attempt was to prove to myself that I could do it better. Hopefully I have succeeded in that.

As to the business of self-publishing, it can be time consuming. It can break you faster than a handful of rejection letters. It is a lot of work doing everything right to begin with. Doing it well takes even more effort. And in self-publishing you are taking on everything a good publisher would do for you. yes, you always have to market your work, push it and so forth. But most publishers attend at least a few cons. magazine have wide circulation. Much of this is why I did not pursue running my own press.

There are many things I would have preferred happen, but it has worked out pretty good thus far. But feel free to ask me anything you want.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Thanks Ken for the reply!

Yeah, I see how the whole self-publishing deal can be a lot more work than it really seems. Taking that route means you need to take care of everything.

I was thinking of putting together an ebook with some short stories and then using Amazon's self publishing to get it out there. Nothing really more than that, just getting that one ebook out there on Amazon and seeing what happens.

Comment

Here's what I was thinking about:

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
          Here's what I was thinking about:

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin
          Yes, that is one of the places I used. There are several. But it can be difficult. Having a background in graphic design (layout and all of the programs) helped me significantly. And the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. But having an audience ahead of time helps a lot (something I did not have). There are some links about it on my website. More I have yet to add. My first suggestion would be to decide if this is what is right for you, not to be in a hurry as I was that first time, and then to look at the business side of it. Who is your target audience, how do you plan to reach them, etc. And checking out your competition helps, too. I think I spent more time researching the whole process than I did putting everything together. Research and promotion take up the bulk of time.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be stopping by your site to do some digging.

Comment

On the flip side of this, thanks to the success of THESE OLD TALES, the stories are now seeing some reprint action. And FRESH CUT TALES does get some attention because of that, as well. So having more than one product helps, too. And it also helps to have some work through publishers.

Comment

Good luck and feel free to track me down if you have more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                  Good luck and feel free to track me down if you have more questions.
                  Thanks! I've been trying to put together some material, finish up some stories that never got finished. And I'm just thinking about what to do with them.

Comment

Good luck, Pete

And you did it much bettter the second time around, Ken. Major congratz and back slaps are headed your way!
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Thank you, Squire. Very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X