New aspiring author here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New aspiring author here.

Hey, my penname is Ace Sorou, and I'm an aspiring author. I didn't know where else to post this, but this is me saying hi.

As an amateur author, I often write fanfics based on my favorite TV shows and games, however I feel it's time for me to create my own worlds, and publish original work. To that end, I've begun several projects. I was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to what an author who's just starting out should do to get noticed.
    Last edited by Ace Sorou; 07-11-2013, 12:19 AM.

This is a good start; though I'm generally not a fan of psuedonyms. If a book is your work, put your name on it. A "cool" sounding name comes off flat most times.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

To be honest, that name would make me not want to read it.

Comment

If you plan on using a pseudonym make it sound like a real name i. e. Richard Bachman, Jonathan Janz, A.J. Mathews or the like.

Comment

Thanks for the input. A funny story behind this name here...

When I was young, I wanted to be a pilot. My dad started calling me "Ace" since ace pilots were supposed to be the best. The nickname just stuck, even after my interests changed. One day, I decided to make a last name for my nickname, just for the heck of it. So, I remembered this jingle for some cookies I liked called 'Dunk-a-roos.' All I did was replace the word 'Dunk' with the word 'Ace' and created a new word from the sounds I heard.

It's strange, I know, but I was a kid, back then. The name has sentimental value to me, but I appreciate your input. I'll try to come up with something else.

And before you ask, no. I'm not using my real name, because some people have a hard time believing it's my real name.

Comment

Yeah. A lot of people don't believe Squire is my name. (In college, I used to tell the gullible females I met that it was my title back in England and since I couldn't keep my title when I came over to the USA, I just made it my name. That fib was somehow more believable to them, so I just wnet with it. And it worked . Once.)
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

^The times I had seen people call you that here I assumed it was a nickname. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sorou View Post
                Thanks for the input. A funny story behind this name here...

And before you ask, no. I'm not using my real name, because some people have a hard time believing it's my real name.
                So... Is it completely weird, or completely normal?

I'm a wannabe writer, too. And although I've never thought my name was great, I use my initials and last name instead of trying a pen name.
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Pseudonyms have their uses (he said, with some bias). For me, there's a certain psychological benefit. It's a lot easier for me to explore darker subject matter when writing as Lucian Poll.

I also like how Shaun Hutson used a few pseudonyms to write in different genres (a practice, I believe, he continues to this day). I have umpteen things in the ideas file that I'm itching to get to, but they're a mixture of horror stories and sci-fi/fantasy. Using Lucian Poll for the grittier stuff makes sense to me.

(Plus I get to star in Randy's stories!)
                  The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                  Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                  ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Well, let me put it this way.

My first name is the name of a type of bird, and my last name is what a bird does. Whenever I tell it to people, they usually say "No, seriously. What's your name?"

Comment

Hmm. Chickadee Molts is a pretty neat name.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Kestrel Poops?
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I'll weigh in with Crow Flies. It was either gonna be that or Booby Pecks.
                          The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                          Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                          ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sorou View Post
                            Well, let me put it this way.

My first name is the name of a type of bird, and my last name is what a bird does. Whenever I tell it to people, they usually say "No, seriously. What's your name?"
                            Pecker shits??? Yeah, I would skip using that one too!! Seriously though, all the best with the writing whichever name you go with.

Comment

didn't see the part about the birds, interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X