PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo2013

RJK1981
06-02-2013, 09:13 AM
It's a few months still before November, but oh well, starting the thread for it now, lol.

Who plans on taking the plunge and trying to write 50,000 words in November? If you do, have you decided on what your story will be?

I will definitely be going for it this year, hopefully going to be 2 for 2. This year I will be doing something different than I thought in that my story will be more Sci-fi, though perhaps with some horror elements.

What gets me excited about this one is that I decided a few days ago I should think of ideas for what to write, and just like that the story popped in my head. On top of that, I was mentioning this to Lucian on Goodreads and was going to say I still had to think of the title (that is an area I struggle with at times), but then the title formed in my head! It actually happened in a process that took less than a minute to fully form.

So, my NaNo 2013 novel title will either be Ancestral Skies or These Ancestral Skies! I am leaning towards the latter right now. What do you guys think?

Lucian Poll
06-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Oh, I'm very much in for NaNo 2013! :D

At the moment my project is a ghost story that's been slowly gnawing at the back of my mind since the start of the last NaNoWriMo. Hopefully the summer and autumn months ahead will see me develop a fully-fleshed outline.

(Future Me would like Present Me to create a simpler plot this time around, thank you. ;) )

I really like the titles proposed, RJK. There's a lot of play to be had there. I guessed something steampunky over on Goodreads, then something altogether more mythical and fantastical. On further reflection I can also see it working in a post-apocalyptic scenario too (in keeping with the current issue of CD). As for the better of the two, my 2p would say it hinges on the POV you'll use - "These Ancestral Skies" focuses the story well for something told in the first person or restricted third-person, while "Ancestral Skies" has a sweeping, omniscient ring to it. (Could just be me, though.)

I look forward to hearing more about it as NaNoWriMo draws closer.

Anyone else tempted?

RJK1981
06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
I will probably try to do some outlining for this years NaNo novel, but I am not an outliner by nature, so we will see how well I do with that, lol!

I gotta figure out if I will do it like a regular novel with just chapters or if I will do it in something like Part One, Part Two, etc. Most likely I will just do chapters for now and make a final decision on whether it will be broken up further after November. Also debating whether to have a prologue or not.

As for 1st person or restricted 3rd person, I still gotta decide on that too. Never really dabbled with 1st person before, though I plan to give it a shot sometime. I was going to do something with that when CD was open for submissions, but the story did not really come to me, so that idea has been shelved for now.

What do you think of Our Ancestral Skies? For the moment, the final title isn't all that important and is up in the air. Except for the Ancestral Skies part. I don't see those words not being in the title. That part just sticks in my mind and makes sense for the focus of the story.

And as I was typing this out I was thinking of the story and its plot and then started writing out of the synopsis for the story in the Scrivener file I created for it this morning! :D Hopefully everything comes this easily/quickly come November! What I might do since it is coming so fast so far is start on the story for the Camp NaNo event in July and then continue the story in November. Wasn't sure whether I would do the Camp NaNo event (and still not 100% sure), but if this keep happening I might have to, lol.

Lucian Poll
06-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I'd keep the title up in the air, no pun intended. You'll get a good feel for what the title should be the further into the project you go. There's nothing wrong with trying new titles as you go along, though. Towards the end of NaNoWriMo I dabbled with calling my story Dead Floors, but soon switched it back to just The Floors. Both worked, strictly speaking, but Dead Floors may have led readers to believe there was an element to story that wasn't there.

What is great, however, is that you've hit a rich seam of ideas. I'd keep on writing them down, shaping them up, and don't stop until your typing fingers can't take it any more. The more groundwork you do, the more ideas you nail down, then the better a feel you will have for the story when you come to the big write-off. (This is what I'm hoping for!)

RJK1981
06-03-2013, 04:06 AM
I will be keeping it up in the air, but I don't see the Ancestral Skies part changing. If something else comes to mind I am open to changing it though, of course.

I should finish with my short teaser/synopsis (whatever you would call it that is on the back of a paperback book, lol) tonight, then probably on to figuring things out about the actual plot. At least a start on it anyway. If you are interested I can send you my short synopsis in a message here or on Goodreads, see what you think of it.

TJCams
06-03-2013, 12:46 PM
RJK: Either title sounds pretty good - it leaves open lots of possibilities as far as making the reader think of what kind of story it is.

I would so love to give a shot at writing even a short story or 2. I have a couple ideas that I think (at least to me) would make a cool short. I even wrote down some very basic points. However - I have no idea how I would start putting a story together that I could format into something that I would have somebody read. It's like I have 2 different scenarios that I thought up, but have to turn them into enough of a story, and how to put the ideas to paper (or world processor ;) ), I have no idea.

Even thinking back to highschool - I hated English class. Creative writing was never something I looked forward to. I even took an expository writing course first year university, and although I did well in that class, I am not very confident in my "skills" or lack thereof for tackling something like this.

The one idea especially, to me, sounds like it could be the basis for a pretty cool story. I am not thinking in terms of making money off it or anything, but if I could put together a story that I could show people, and they read it and think that it was a good story, or interesting, to me would be pretty satisfying.

RJK1981
06-03-2013, 07:55 PM
I say go for it! Worst that can happen is that you don't write 50,000 words, but you definitely won't if you don't even try. Nothing wrong with trying and failing. There are books (eBooks and physical, of course) to assist with the process. One that comes recommended that I have is The Complete Idiots Guide to Writing a Novel, Second Edition, which is about $10 on Amazon, or can be ordered through Borderlands Press if you can't order off Amazon. The Amazon link is http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Writing-ebook/dp/B003NX75RM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370242377&sr=1-1&keywords=the+complete+idiot%27s+guide+to+writing+a +novel.

You can also look up things like writing prompts to help as well.

I took creative writing in high school, but it was an elective for me.

Also, just write for yourself. If you get something completed and like it, great, and especially great if you are able to get it published! If you have ideas that just won't go away, go ahead and write it to let it escape your mind.

Lucian Poll
06-03-2013, 09:16 PM
RJK: I'm torn! The curious part of me (one of many) wants to know more about your story, but, at the same time, another side of me wants to be blown away by an idea that has matured for some months. By all means give us a peek, but I'm really keen to be gobsmacked come November (or, indeed, when you're ready). :)

(A small anecdote, if I may. By the time I came to last year's NaNoWriMo, I'd only really told close friends the gist of my story. This allowed me to ferment my ideas, which was vital, but it also drove me batty as I really wanted to know if the idea was a good one. When it finally came to the NaNoWriMo launch day, I was both stunned and delighted to hear positive noises from my fellow local WriMos as I (badly) explained the story. When I finally revealed the big hook that tied whole the piece together, I heard five words I'd always wanted to hear: "I want to read that". I can't tell you how good that felt!) (Same goes for the fantastic response I got when calling for test readers - I'm still buzzing!)

(Oh, and thanks for the blog like!)

TJ: From my (admittedly limited) experience of NaNoWriMo, a common element between all who took part was they all had a story they wanted to tell. The quality of delivery often played second fiddle to telling the story. (My first draft is testament to this!) If you're tempted by NaNoWriMo, sketch out some ideas, dive in and give it a go. There was a good show of support here last year, and I think everyone who gave it a go took away something positive from the experience.

RJK1981
06-03-2013, 10:15 PM
RJK: I'm torn! The curious part of me (one of many) wants to know more about your story, but, at the same time, another side of me wants to be blown away by an idea that has matured for some months. By all means give us a peek, but I'm really keen to be gobsmacked come November (or, indeed, when you're ready). :)

(A small anecdote, if I may. By the time I came to last year's NaNoWriMo, I'd only really told close friends the gist of my story. This allowed me to ferment my ideas, which was vital, but it also drove me batty as I really wanted to know if the idea was a good one. When it finally came to the NaNoWriMo launch day, I was both stunned and delighted to hear positive noises from my fellow local WriMos as I (badly) explained the story. When I finally revealed the big hook that tied whole the piece together, I heard five words I'd always wanted to hear: "I want to read that". I can't tell you how good that felt!) (Same goes for the fantastic response I got when calling for test readers - I'm still buzzing!)

(Oh, and thanks for the blog like!)

TJ: From my (admittedly limited) experience of NaNoWriMo, a common element between all who took part was they all had a story they wanted to tell. The quality of delivery often played second fiddle to telling the story. (My first draft is testament to this!) If you're tempted by NaNoWriMo, sketch out some ideas, dive in and give it a go. There was a good show of support here last year, and I think everyone who gave it a go took away something positive from the experience.

I'm fine with sharing what I have that I am talking about. I am fully of the mind to NOT give away much at all in my description for my stories. My synopsis for last year's NaNo on my page there mentions the main character being plagues with dreams. I didn't reveal the nature of the dreams or some other critical elements of the story. I like it better when a short paragraph on the back of the book seems more like a teaser, leaving me want to know more about the story.

That being said, I have no problem with more detailed info on the back of the book or anything, but I won't do it myself (Unless I was being published and the publisher required it, of course).

TJ: Lucian brought up a point I neglected. The quality of you story written during NaNo will likely not be good. Plot holes, misspelled words, missed words, double words, accidental changes in POV or past/present tense, mixed up names, etc. etc. are to be expected (maybe not all of them, but definitely a lot). The key to NaNoWriMo is to write, no matter how bad it is! No correcting misspelled words or anything like that. Very difficult to do, but doable. To help myself, I even made sure I did that elsewhere, such as Facebook. I didn't always succeed, but I mostly did.

Oh, and Lucian, I will send you a message on Goodreads with what I have for my synopsis (though it really isn't much of a synopsis). I have no problem sharing this little bit already, but only to a few people. In fact, I would say only with those who are going to be doing NaNoWriMo that are interested.

TJCams
06-04-2013, 01:02 PM
I will think about it. I have to go over the few points I jotted down, and see if I can come up with a complete story. I have a general idea of certain events that my story would cover, and the cause, but beyond that I haven't thought out where things will lead to and finish off.

TerryE
06-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Hi guys. I definitely plan on attempting NaNo again this year. I greatly enjoyed it last year, even though I still haven't finished my story. No clue what I'll work on this year. I have several story ideas, but a couple require quite a bit of research first, which is why I didn't work on them last year, either.

RJ - I'd prefer These... or Our... The title has a more unique sound that way. (Adjective) Skies has been pretty common lately [Falling, Dark, etc]

TJ - Go for it! Last year I started my story with a title that I came up with on Nov. 1st when I sat down to write. A semi-related first sentence came to mind a little while later, and I was off from there. I had no plot, and only 1 character to start with, and even he was completely unformed. By the end of day 3 I had several more characters, the central mystery, and an idea of where it was going to go.
I was completely unsure if it would come anywhere near the 50,000 word mark, but determined that if it was too short, I'd add another story taking place in the same locale. I even sowed a seed for another story in a quick news report during my main story. I wrote a little bit most days, and was very, very happy with a couple passages that came completely out of the blue.
Another idea that helps for the daily goal (that I used during my screenwriting class several years back) is to work out a scene/few pages during the day, then just put it all down in the writing session that evening. Good luck.

Also, the support I got from you guys here, really helped last year too.

Lucian Poll
06-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi, Terry, that's great to hear! November's shaping up well already!

We just need a decent summer to fill the gap 'til then. (I swear it's been mid-November here in the UK since the end of 2006.)

TerryE
06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Not here on the east coast. We had our first heat wave last weekend. Now it's back to spring for a few days.

Hmmm.... Mid-November weather for 7 years. There's a story there somewhere.

And that just gave me the idea, that maybe the few of us here can work up to November with some short writing exercises or challenges. Anybody up for that?

RJK1981
06-05-2013, 12:13 AM
RJ - I'd prefer These... or Our... The title has a more unique sound that way. (Adjective) Skies has been pretty common lately [Falling, Dark, etc]

Thanks for the feedback. I really like the idea of Our Ancestral Skies. Depending on how the plot, and ultimately the story, shapes up it could easily be split up into a series a books:

Our Ancestral Skies (The Ancestral Skies book 1)
Their Ancestral Skies (The Ancestral Skies book 2) - This could be from the POV of the alien overlords or something, lol.
These Ancestral Skies(The Ancestral Skies book 3) - This would be the prequel that all the cool kids are doing these days ;)

That's all tongue-in-cheek of course, but at this point I could easily see this as possibly being too involved, complicated or whatever for a single book so as to avoid a massively long and intimidating book.

RJK1981
06-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Not here on the east coast. We had our first heat wave last weekend. Now it's back to spring for a few days.

Hmmm.... Mid-November weather for 7 years. There's a story there somewhere.

And that just gave me the idea, that maybe the few of us here can work up to November with some short writing exercises or challenges. Anybody up for that?

I'd be up to give that a try.

We've had odd weather in MN. Last year we had a record early ice out here in MN, and then this year we had a record late ice out! Hell, areas around here had a frost warning a couple nights ago! In June!

RJK1981
06-07-2013, 06:07 PM
What kind of exercises or challenges are you thinking?

TerryE
06-07-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure. I was hoping you guys might have some ideas. I'll do some searches over the weekend, and get some ideas.

RJK1981
06-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Not sure either, lol, never really done them before that I can think of

TerryE
06-11-2013, 03:00 PM
I didn't do much looking, but found an interesting one we could all try.

Write a 26 sentence story with each sentence starting with a successive letter of the alphabet.

RJK1981
06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Hmm, that sounds interesting, possibly leading to a chaotic story, lol.

TerryE
06-11-2013, 09:00 PM
I finally started my Strange Critters story, so I need to concentrate on that at home, but maybe I can do this at work at lunch time.

Lucian Poll
06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Interesting idea. It could be something to start in the Sharing Your Work subforum, perhaps, or on a dedicated thread. I wouldn't know where to begin on the 26 sentence challenge, though.

Well, "A" I guess... ;)

Another site I occasionally haunt has a subforum for writing challenges. The monthly challenges often see a lot of forum activity.

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/writing-challenges/

I'll see if my twisted little mind can come up with something in the meantime.

William J. Grabowski
06-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I might go for it. I once wrote 9,000 words in one day, but it really wigged me out...we'll see. Great idea, though--will show the validity of an idea.

Sock Monkey
06-16-2013, 04:31 AM
I'm definitely going to give NaNo another go this year. I completely failed last year to make any significant progress because November is a beast of a month at my work. Hope to do better this year. Anyone doing the Camp NaNo in July? I'm thinking about giving it a shot for a longer Novella that has been brewing for a while. Kinda like a warmup for November.

RJK1981
06-16-2013, 06:13 AM
I'm definitely going to give NaNo another go this year. I completely failed last year to make any significant progress because November is a beast of a month at my work. Hope to do better this year. Anyone doing the Camp NaNo in July? I'm thinking about giving it a shot for a longer Novella that has been brewing for a while. Kinda like a warmup for November.

I'm considering whether to do Camp NaNo in July. If I do it I likely will use that month to start on my story for the actual NaNoWriMo in November because I can easily see this story going longer than 50,000 words. Heck, I won't be surprised if it is something I will decide to split into more than one story so as not to make a massively long story.

RJK1981
09-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Wow, no posts here in a while, lol!

I ended up not doing Camp NaNo in July due to other things getting in the way, but oh well. Right now I am patiently for October to begin so I can add this year's novel to my page. In the meantime I still have to do more prep work for my story, including research. I have a crapload of pages bookmarked just for that purpose though.

So what have the rest of the NaNoers been doing to prepare for their stories? Anything? Nothing?

Lucian Poll
09-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Reading, researching and outlining, though not as much as I'd like, and not as much as I did for The Floors. I've been having fun creating my main character and supporting cast, though, and I have a cool finale in mind. This year's NaNo could be a story I pants more than plan, which could be interesting. Or a disaster. :D

RJK1981
09-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm a natural pantser, so doing planning won't be easy. I think I am going to take some advice I found on the NaNoWriMo website when it comes to research though http://blog.nanowrimo.org/post/62067178090/no-plot-no-problem-in-which-a-planning-limit-is#comment-1057439806

Lucian Poll
09-30-2013, 09:09 PM
There might be a few passages in my first draft that read "beef this up in the second draft". I can already sense Future Me's incandescent fury at finding them.

RJK1981
10-01-2013, 03:10 AM
lol, well that will just add to the word count that you accrue! I know I plan to have a trash folder in my Scrivener project file where I will keep a copy of all my typing from forums and Facebook and such. This is to have just in case I find myself struggling and will be removed if I find I don't need it. :p:cool:

TerryE
10-01-2013, 03:28 PM
I plan on doing it, but have no plans yet. Last year I pantsed it and was very happy with some of the work I did. I now have 1 month to decide if there will be a plot beforehand. I'll friend you guys once I get set up.

Sock Monkey
10-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Oh, NaNoWriMo how you taunt me! I'm on the fence about whether or not to try again this year. November is a brutal month for me which I thought I was prepared for last year, yet failed miserably after about four days. Going to think long and hard about it before I commit.

RJK1981
10-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Oh, NaNoWriMo how you taunt me! I'm on the fence about whether or not to try again this year. November is a brutal month for me which I thought I was prepared for last year, yet failed miserably after about four days. Going to think long and hard about it before I commit.

Why not try it? Just write as much as you can in the 30 days. Don't give up after 4 days, just keep plugging away. As long as you write as much as you can it'll still be more than if you don't do anything, which I call a success!

Sock Monkey
10-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Why not try it? Just write as much as you can in the 30 days. Don't give up after 4 days, just keep plugging away. As long as you write as much as you can it'll still be more than if you don't do anything, which I call a success!

I might do as you suggest. I tend to be a little rigid when it comes to goals or deadlines. Maybe just doing the best I can might be liberating. Still mulling it over, but you definitely gave me some food for thought.

TerryE
10-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Monkey, I've fought the same fight in previous years. Last year was my best attempt. 12,000 words in 23 days. I didn't make the goal, but I got a good start and I got into good writing habits, that unfortunately disappeared for most of the past year. But I like what I wrote, still feel like I need to finish it, and learned some new things about the history of my fictional county. (And now that I've got the lost sections back from the broken computer, I intend to finish it)

RJK1981
10-06-2013, 05:35 AM
I might do as you suggest. I tend to be a little rigid when it comes to goals or deadlines. Maybe just doing the best I can might be liberating. Still mulling it over, but you definitely gave me some food for thought.

I tend to be more of slacker when it comes to deadlines and put things off until close to the deadline, but that doesn't work with NaNoWriMo, so I was out of my element in that way last year, but I was luckily able to make it work. We'll see if I am able to make it work this year too, am crossing my fingers that it will, that is for sure! If it helps you could set multiple goals, in order of importance. Perhaps something like:

#1 Write as much as I can in November
#2 Don't give up
#3 Write 50,000 words in November

Then writing writing as much as you can is the most important goal and 50,000 words is the least important goal, but still a goal (without the pressure of it being the primary or even secondary goal). And if you do that you get in on deals for participants. Like the Scrivener writing program, which is 50% off for winners, but is still discounted 20% for those who participate and don't reach the goal.

And for those who will be doing NaNo who didn't add me to their writing buddies last year, here is my profile link to add me. And whoever wishes to see what I'll be writing this year I have already entered the details of my story for this year. http://nanowrimo.org/participants/rjk1981

Sock Monkey
10-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Well, after thinking it over quite a bit and along with some encouraging words from RJK1981, I've decided to give NaNoWriMo another go this year! I have a couple projects in mind, so now I just need to settle on one.

TerryE
10-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I still haven't come up with an idea, except maybe doing a novelization of my screenplay. Does that seem like cheating?

RJK1981
10-13-2013, 02:07 AM
Well, if it is cheating, so what? Haven't you heard the quote "If ya ain't cheating, ya ain't winning"? Sock Monkey, if nothing else, if whatever you settle on doesn't give you 50,000 words then just write them both. It's supposed to be for novels but I know there are people who do short stories and things like that.

I know I don't plan to stretch out my story if I end up struggling and will start on another story as well that has recently entered my mind. I know that if my science fiction story fits within the 17,000 word limit I will definitely consider entering it into the writer's of the future contest after I edit it.

TerryE
10-13-2013, 02:18 PM
I developed the same idea last year. The story I was working on was probably heading for novella territory. If I would have finished it, my idea was to continue with other stories related to the main tale. I even made mention of a past event that would make an interesting story on its own. One day.

Lucian Poll
10-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Well, we're nearly there, folks: another 30 days of creative nirvana, punctilious plotting and 'orrible deeds told well (or, if you will, 30 days each spent looking at your word count and thinking "Shit! It felt like more.") Yes, it's nearly NaNoWriMo time!

As we head into the final week-afore, are we all ready for what lies ahead? Any call for a writing buddy? You can find me via http://nanowrimo.org/participants/lucian-poll.

RJK1981
10-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Today begins my week of research for this title, likely do some character work, and possibly even doing some plotting for the story as well, though that isn't a priority for me.

TerryE
10-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm as ready as I'm going to be, I guess. I've got you two on my buddy list from last year.

Anybody new?

RJK1981
10-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Not that I can think of, but more are always welcome. I see you put your story for the year up on your page Lucian, sounds very good!

I still wonder how this year will go for me, but I am not really too stressed or worried about it. The story in my mind seems like it could take a lot more than 50k words to reach "The End", but at the same time I have never written science fiction, so it will definitely be an experiment, lol. I'm actually hoping that I can come up with a way to have the story short enough to enter into the Writer's of the Future contest, perhaps turning part of it into a short story that leads into a longer story or is expanded on. I had the idea for another story pop into my head last week or so, so I know I should be good for the word count.

Lucian Poll
10-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Thanks, RJK! It's all still rough in my head (hence the rough synopsis) but there should be enough to keep me going for a while.

William J. Grabowski
10-26-2013, 05:23 AM
Greetings, LP. This is simply a statement inspired by the NaNoWriMo2013 thread. I love the entire idea--here's why. I'm an independent writer/editor, and recently completed a brutally difficult ghostwriting job (mainstream novel) for a Wall Street worker. Foolishly, I signed a contract promising delivery of final manuscript in 30 days. My client phoned me every M, W, and TH at 10AM for a status report--a genuine nightmare for me, as I do not enjoy this intrusive contact (but she was paying me well, and had every right to protect her investment--pun much intended).

In short, I wrote the novel in 30 days--final draft. My client loved it.

What had started as a very, very stressful project ended positively, as my own writing--in comparison--now is much less taxing. Forcing yourself to such discipline is like swinging 10 baseball bats over and over.

Once you drop them, you feel as if capable of lifting a truck!

TerryE
10-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks for those encouraging words Mr. G. I hope the incentive/pressure gets me into a good writing habit that will continue long beyond next month. But I've been hoping for the that the past several years.

RJK1981
10-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Agree with everything Terry said. I am hoping to make writing a part of my daily routine, or at least most days. My goal is to either write something like 500+ words a day or writing a certain number or pages (Pretty sure this is what Joe Lansdale does). That may have been my problem last year after NaNo. I didn't have a daily writing goal following November. Hopefully with that goal I will actually do it.

William J. Grabowski
10-27-2013, 05:10 AM
TerryE: You're welcome. Sometimes you can't know what you're capable of until forced (either by yourself, or outside influence) to do it. Either way, the process alone will shatter accumulated bad habits. Best to you!

TJCams
10-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Good luck to all those taking part! Hopefully you all are able to get the creative juices flowing.

RJK1981
10-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks, I am sure it won't be a problem considering I had ideas for 2 other future short stories the other day, and wrote part of a scene that popped into my head last week for some other story. Might fit in one of the two new ideas, but I don't know about that yet. I like getting these ideas, but now is NOT the time for them, lol

Theli
10-30-2013, 03:44 AM
I've got a busy month, but I'm going to try to do this too. I have a couple stories I have mostly fleshed out that I could start work on. It helps that I have the first 4 days of the month off work. One is a darker detective story, and the other is a Sword & Sorcery type story.

TerryE
10-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Good luck to all involved. The time is near. I'm gearing up. I've gotten lucky with the MD local dare words. We're using Poe related stuff, and my antagonist uses pseudonyms based on Poe works.

TJCams
10-31-2013, 08:02 PM
I think once some things get settled with stuff I've got going on, I may try to write down points/ideas and see if I come up with some type of storyline once I get more free time. I've got 2 really cool (at least to me) sounding ideas for at least a short story, but it seems like I could write a cool synopsis of my idea, but to put enough "meat" to have a flowing storyline, right now at least, is something I am not really sure I could pull off.

TerryE
11-01-2013, 03:22 AM
Getting ready for midnight to put the first few words down.

RJK1981
11-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Well it is now November. Good luck to everyone participating!

I'm off to a good start, though already have a dilemma. I don't know how I will do it, but while writing my first I realized the woman in the scene is going to die early! Either that or have something bad happen. I don't know why, but I can't ignore that feeling. I might figure out something other than death though, will just have to figure that out as I go. Good thing I haven't spent much time fleshing out this character, lol!

Lucian Poll
11-01-2013, 06:42 PM
And we're off! Good luck everyone! I'm doing what I can but I'll have some catching up to do when I get back home!

TerryE
11-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I got 500 words in just after midnight, more tonight for the first day's count.

RJ, maybe something bad happens to someone close to her and it just affects her emotionally.

RJK1981
11-02-2013, 09:52 AM
That wouldn't be a bad idea Terry, but I don't know if she has anyone else close to her. I know they don't live around a big city and I know her mother died of cancer shortly after they met. The nickname that he calls her came from him hearing her called that from her mother. I discovered all of that as I was writing that information last night. Right now I have a strong feeling she has to either die or disappear somehow. I am not sure yet exactly how or why it is important, but I get the feeling that it is.

I actually am happy to have this dilemma though, as it is good for getting the juices going.

Lucian Poll
11-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Well, I've hit the 5K mark. I'm still behind by a day, but I hope to catch up over the coming week(s).

In the meantime I've put up an excerpt: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/lucian-poll/novels/the-forum-of-the-dead

Right. I'm off to type some more! :)

srboone
11-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Liked what I read, LP. Looking forward to the whole shebang!

Lucian Poll
11-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Squire! It feels good to be under way. :)

RJK1981
11-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Like what I read Lucian, good job!

Last night/this morning was a funny (funny as in weird) experience for me with my story. I haven't written much at all for the day (I like to do my writing late at night/early in the morning when normal people are fast asleep, lol). Luckily I am a little ahead right now, so I am fine if I write nothing else for today or tomorrow. Most of what I did was research things like a good middle name for the wife of my main character (I am finally down to 2 options), added things to a list of what to do with said character (pretty much ruled out all but one option, but that led to a LOT of other questions) and write the tentative ending to the story. Debating putting that part on my book page on Nano's site as an excerpt. What I find quite humorous about all that is that the female I did all that for is likely not going to be directly involved in most of the finished story, lol. She will, however, have a pivotal role in the ultimate story line, which will go beyond the story currently in my head if I don't change the ending to this story.

Lucian Poll
11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks, RJK. :) Glad to see you're doing well. I'm lagging just over a day behind schedule, but, thankfully, I have a lot of story to come. Whether I can get it out of my head in any way that makes sense to the reader is another matter entirely! :D

I hope everyone else's stories are bearing up well.

And now back to the words...

RJK1981
11-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Man, when yesterday started I was between 2 middle names, and now it is 3, lol! Her name will be either Emma Rose, Emma Renee, Emma Rae with a last name of either Smith or Saberi. Unless I see another S last name that calls my name later. Leaning towards Saberi right now, as I like it better and it is not a last name most people have ever seen or beard of before. And how I soelled beard instead of heard I do not know, lol

TerryE
11-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Emma Rae is more unique, I think.

I'm way behind. I had about 1400 words and just couldn't get the next bit. So on day 7 I started a new project. I'm over 1800 words on that, so still way way behind. I'll see if I can catch up, but at least I like this new story better.

RJK1981
11-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the input Terry. Before this morning I was between Rose and Renee, and for some reason Rae popped in my head. Don't think there was anything I was seeing that would have caused that name to pop in there! and the TV wasn't on, so it wasn't that either. After that I was leaning towards it, though still felt stuck. Don't know if was the more unqiue aspect of it that was making me lean to or just because I like the sound of. Most likely a combination of the two though. I still think it is funny I spent so much time on a character I felt on day 1 needed to die. Then it became die or have something bad happen to her. After making a list in Scivener of ideas, and then further ideas or questions for some of them, and in the case of what I have ended going with, the idea led to another idea in the form of a question, which led to a question about that idea, then a question about that first first question, a question about that question, and then 2 questions about THAT question! :eek: But after all that I know in general what will happen, though I haven't answered those last last questions. If am able to keep my story at a short enough length the tentative ending I've written will probably stay on as the ending, but if I am unable to do it in that length then I don't know.

RJK1981
11-12-2013, 03:53 AM
Oh, and unless you already have and it can't be recovered Terry, DO NOT DELETE those words! That's what December is for. If you have, well then, copy and past 1400 words worth into file and keep away from your new story.

Lucian Poll
11-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Yep. Definitely keep those words. I know a few rebel WriMos who are adding 50K to existing projects, or starting a second story while inspiration returns on their first. It all counts. :)

In other news, someone at my local write-in last night hit 80K already. (Last year she passed 200K.) Jaw = floored. I don't think I can copy and paste that fast!

TerryE
11-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Those words are saved. I didn't have inspiration for something new before I started, so I went with the idea of a novelization of my screenplay. Shoulda been easy. The whole thing is plotted, broken into scenes and dialogue done. But in the second scene I just completely lost interest. I'll get back to it one day.

RJK1981
11-13-2013, 10:55 AM
In other news, someone at my local write-in last night hit 80K already. (Last year she passed 200K.) Jaw = floored. I don't think I can copy and paste that fast!

Meh, anytime someone reaches those kinds of numbers I say why? That or, as when someone claimed to have done 50k on November 1st, I call BS, lol

Lucian Poll
11-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Congratulations on hitting 50K, RJK! :)

In another 750 words I'll be joining you. I'll only be a third of the way through the story, mind, but that's by the by.

That said, Google Drive has been more generous in its word count than MS Word. :eek:

RJK1981
11-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks! This one is mostly crap, but oh well, lol, the point was to write. Decided to reward myself by reading the Novella from this years Maelstrom set of books

TerryE
11-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Congratulations guys! I had a very rough go of it this year. I scrapped everything after the first week, then pantsed it. That tale turned into a short story, but I completed that with 2 days to spare. A secondary goal, but I did reach it.

Lucian Poll
12-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Excellent stuff, Terry. Well done!

I eventually hit the 50K mark. Thanks to Google Drive's overly-generous word count I had to squeeze out another 700 words before allowing myself to play on my sparkly new PS4. That was a tough evening! :D

50K forms the first part of my story. I hope to spend December outlining parts two and three, and maybe getting busy with some cover/interior artwork. It's all go!

TerryE
12-02-2013, 02:45 AM
Hopefully it turns out as well as last year's project.