PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Reading?

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-10-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm reading THE IGNORED by Bentley Little, my first time with this one. So far I'm loving it.

What are you reading?

srboone
05-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Obsession by Debra Webb, a mystery/thriller I won on Goodreads. Mystery/suspense thrillers have a superficial feel to them, kinda like Koontz; I have a difficult time with them.

mhatchett
05-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Every Dead Thing John Connolly. Really enjoying it!

Tommy
05-10-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, very good

bookworm 1
05-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Four Past Midnight.
Shivers 7
Little Things
Multiplex Fandango
Oh and a whole bunch of comics and Horror Magazines.

They don't call me bookworm for nothing.:o.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Obsession by Debra Webb, a mystery/thriller I won on Goodreads. Mystery/suspense thrillers have a superficial feel to them, kinda like Koontz; I have a difficult time with them.

Thrillers have to be really innovative and original for me to bother with them much, though I do like a good crime noir here and there. When an author can incorporate the supernatural into them, that's even better (Jim Butcher, John Connolly, etc...)

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-10-2013, 08:47 PM

That's one of my favorite series ever. I envy you your first exposure to it. They only get better from there. (DARK HOLLOW, THE KILLING KIND, and THE WHITE ROAD are very, very good indeed.)

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, very good

I'm going to busy with Bentley Little books for a while (for a project I'm working on), but if I wasn't, NOS4A2 would be my current read. I'm a big fan of Joe's work.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Four Past Midnight.
Shivers 7
Little Things
Multiplex Fandango
Oh and a whole bunch of comics and Horror Magazines.

They don't call me bookworm for nothing.:o.

Wow! So you have all these going at once? I envy that. I'm a one book at a time fellow.

bookworm 1
05-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Well they are all short story anthologies and novellas. So read a few move to the next for a few. If I am reading a novel I will focus on that till I am through.
Wow! So you have all these going at once? I envy that. I'm a one book at a time fellow.

RJK1981
05-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Fangtooth by Shaun Jeffrey. Never read anything from him before, but am enjoying this one. Got it when Dark Regions had their big Sale For Good event recently. Surprised that my PB copy was one of the signed ones since it has been on sale for so long. Must not be a big seller, but not sure why.

Will either be reading Gifune's House of Rain or Meikle's Clockwork Dolls.

Also reading A Taste of You by Angela Meadon for free in return for a review.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Well they are all short story anthologies and novellas. So read a few move to the next for a few. If I am reading a novel I will focus on that till I am through.

Ah, that makes more sense. That, I can do.

mhatchett
05-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Thrillers have to be really innovative and original for me to bother with them much, though I do like a good crime noir here and there. When an author can incorporate the supernatural into them, that's even better (Jim Butcher, John Connolly, etc...)

I just finished Killer In the Wind Andrew Klavan. I really liked that. The Monsters amongst us!!

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-12-2013, 06:59 PM
I read some Klavan back in the day. Need to give his newer stuff a try.

Ben Staad
05-13-2013, 08:06 AM
I just finished up a re-read (from many years ago) of the Swans War trilogy by Sean Russel. It has been forever since I read some fantasy work and I really enjoyed it. Up next is a re-read of Insomnia.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-14-2013, 06:40 PM
One of the few King books that I didn't love.

peteOcha
05-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Just finished reading Wool. Can't wait to read Shift now!

bookworm 1
05-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Just finished reading Wool. Can't wait to read Shift now!

Let us know how it is. I still need to read the rest of Wool. I read the first story in e-book form and was hooked.
WOW POST 3900.

Tommy
05-15-2013, 07:03 AM

I thought Insomnia was just OK, but it did keep me up at night ;)

RJK1981
05-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Finished a A Taste of You, which was a good novella. Still reading Fangtooth, which is going well enough that I went ahead and purchase The Kult and The Mutilation Machination since they were both just $0.99 for my Kindle.

Even though I haven't finished Fangtooth yet, I will be starting Exit Reality by Robert S. Wilson later today or tomorrow now that I have finally gotten it. It is a short novella, so it shouldn't take very long to read and then I can get to the newest Gifune book.

Next Tuesday I should be getting And The Mountains Echoed, the newest book from Khaled Hosseini. Absolutely loved his previous works, especially The Kite Runner, and am very much looking forward to reading this. Have to be sure I am in the right mood for it, as his works can absolutely deliver an emotional punch to the gut. I made the mistake of reading his 2 books back to back, so I was too drained emotionally from Kite Runner for A Thousand Splendid Suns to have quite the same impact emotionally as I am sure it would have had if I'd spaced the books out. Not sure if I will read his newest right away or maybe save it for when I go up to the cabin on vacation at the end of July.

Ben Staad
05-15-2013, 01:25 PM

It's been forever since I've read this and so far the re-read has been tough.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Hosseini is an author I've heard nothing but good things about, but just haven't gotten around to reading yet. Will have to amend that one of these days if my TBR pile of 400+ books doesn't topple over and kill me first.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-15-2013, 04:09 PM
It's been forever since I've read this and so far the re-read has been tough.

This was the book that started my burned out phase on King's work. I followed that one with ROSE MADDER which I liked up until the ending. He wouldn't win me back again until DUMA KEY.

Ben Staad
05-15-2013, 04:40 PM
He wouldn't win me back again until DUMA KEY.

I think he won a lot of people back with that book. One of my favorites that had that great SK feel to it.

subie09lega
05-15-2013, 04:47 PM
I've been rereading Misery, first time since its release. I've watched the movie several times and have always liked it but I thought I'd be disappointed with the book but have found it very engaging. Though I like most of King's works, I better like those that are focused on a few people rather large groups, I seem to care more about what happens to them.

I think he won a lot of people back with that book. One of my favorites that had that great SK feel to it.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
I've been rereading Misery, first time since its release. I've watched the movie several times and have always liked it but I thought I'd be disappointed with the book but have found it very engaging. Though I like most of King's works, I better like those that are focused on a few people rather large groups, I seem to care more about what happens to them.

I'd agree with you for the most part. I also seem to prefer his smaller canvases, though there are exceptions: Under the Dome being one of them.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Yep, absolutely.

subie09lega
05-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I liked Under the Dome until the end, then it just fizzled for me. Otherwise, I did enjoy it, especially Big Jim. It's not often that I loathe someone so much, especially someone who isn't even real. :)

I'd agree with you for the most part. I also seem to prefer his smaller canvases, though there are exceptions: Under the Dome being one of them.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-15-2013, 06:16 PM
I liked Under the Dome until the end, then it just fizzled for me. Otherwise, I did enjoy it, especially Big Jim. It's not often that I loathe someone so much, especially someone who isn't even real. :)

Yeah, he was a great (if despicable) character. King did a great job bringing him to ugly life. I'm equally excited that in the upcoming miniseries, the role of Big Jim is being played by Hank from BREAKING BAD (Dean Norris), which I consider perfect casting.

TJCams
05-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I am unsure of Insomnia - sounds like a good story, but I've heard many mixed reviews..... Yet Duma Key found it's way into my hands at my local store a few times, but I always put it back down for some reason.

My TBR pile is pretty big for my standards, and growing. Plus my Kobo books keep increasing too. I just finished The Teratologist, which was "weird" - see my quick review on the main "what are you currently reading" thread.

I started Blue November Storms on my lunch break, and should finish it tonight. Quick pace, short chapters, great flow.

I too find it hard to do more than once book at a time.

RJK1981
05-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Hosseini is an author I've heard nothing but good things about, but just haven't gotten around to reading yet. Will have to amend that one of these days if my TBR pile of 400+ books doesn't topple over and kill me first.

Highly, highly, highly recommend The Kite Runner, as it is my favorite of his two, probably because the main character of that one is male, where the main of Splendid Suns is female. Some of the early reviews for the new one are saying it is as good or better than Kite Runner, so I am very much looking forward to reading it. The Kite Runner was so good at getting me invested in it that at one point I was prepared to stop reading it the story went a certain way. It was late, I was tired, and had to work early in the morning but I absolutely couldn't stop reading until I knew what happened. I had never before (and never since either) been so emotionally invested in story that I was ready to stop reading the book if one part went the way I was afraid it would go! It's no wonder I was too drained for Splendid Suns to effect me in anything close to the same effect when I read it right after Kite Runner. I would recommend both books, Kite Runner more than Splendid Suns, but would recommend reading a book or two in between them and not making the same mistake that I did.

I'd say you could use the book for research, but I don't know what you'd be researching, lol.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I am unsure of Insomnia - sounds like a good story, but I've heard many mixed reviews..... Yet Duma Key found it's way into my hands at my local store a few times, but I always put it back down for some reason.

I liked a lot of INSOMNIA, but thought it could have been cut by 400 pages and been twice the book. I found the ending disappointing too.

I started Blue November Storms on my lunch break, and should finish it tonight. Quick pace, short chapters, great flow.

I really dug that. Brian needs to write more. Seriously. It's not like he has anything else going on. (giggle)

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Highly, highly, highly recommend The Kite Runner, as it is my favorite of his two, probably because the main character of that one is male, where the main of Splendid Suns is female. Some of the early reviews for the new one are saying it is as good or better than Kite Runner, so I am very much looking forward to reading it. The Kite Runner was so good at getting me invested in it that at one point I was prepared to stop reading it the story went a certain way. It was late, I was tired, and had to work early in the morning but I absolutely couldn't stop reading until I knew what happened. I had never before (and never since either) been so emotionally invested in story that I was ready to stop reading the book if one part went the way I was afraid it would go! It's no wonder I was too drained for Splendid Suns to effect me in anything close to the same effect when I read it right after Kite Runner. I would recommend both books, Kite Runner more than Splendid Suns, but would recommend reading a book or two in between them and not making the same mistake that I did.

I'd say you could use the book for research, but I don't know what you'd be researching, lol.

That's a hell of a recommendation, and one of many I've received. I'll get to it someday...hopefully.

William J. Grabowski
05-27-2013, 01:45 PM
I used to admire Koontz back when I wrote for THE HORROR SHOW--god knows he was nice and generous to me. You really ought to check out DONALD RAY POLLOCK's hillbilly noir: KNOCKEMSTIFF. It'll do stuff to you. Like WINTER'S BONE without the glitter.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-28-2013, 07:09 PM
I used to admire Koontz back when I wrote for THE HORROR SHOW--god knows he was nice and generous to me. You really ought to check out DONALD RAY POLLOCK's hillbilly noir: KNOCKEMSTIFF. It'll do stuff to you. Like WINTER'S BONE without the glitter.

While I'm a bigger fan of Koontz's earlier stuff than his later efforts, I will agree with you that the man is easily one of the nicest guys in the genre. A true gentleman, and more accessible to his fans than expected given his status.

mhatchett
05-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Finishing up Tim Powers On Stranger Tides. I liked it a lot. It's always fun to find older titles that I've missed.
MDH

TJCams
05-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Messed up the quote I wanted to quote but........
I liked a lot of INSOMNIA, but thought it could have been cut by 400 pages and been twice the book. I found the ending disappointing too.

That is one of the things that is keeping me away from opening up Under the Dome, and even It - is the length. It would take me a long time to get through a book that big. Saying that.....today in the mail arrived Anathem by Neal Stephenson...... another huge novel!!!! But, one I am looking forward to.

subie09lega
05-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Under the Dome is pretty fast paced and I got through it pretty quickly. Haven't read IT since it was released so I can't remember the pacing. Sometimes I find that reading a shorter book takes longer if I find it's not very interesting.

That is one of the things that is keeping me away from opening up Under the Dome, and even It - is the length. It would take me a long time to get through a book that big. Saying that.....today in the mail arrived Anathem by Neal Stephenson...... another huge novel!!!! But, one I am looking forward to.

mhatchett
05-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Frankly, I started drifting away from Stephen King once it seemed he was getting paid by the pound. I like most of his early stuff, love his short fiction, but the huge titles just don't stand up for me.

William J. Grabowski
05-30-2013, 04:43 AM

Stephenson is a genuine genius--SNOW CRASH still blows away most anything.

TJCams
05-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Stephenson is a genuine genius--SNOW CRASH still blows away most anything.
I wasn't sure what book of his to grab, and that was an option. I will probably grab that at some point.

William J. Grabowski
05-31-2013, 04:45 AM
I wasn't sure what book of his to grab, and that was an option. I will probably grab that at some point.

You won't regret it! His CRYPTONOMICON is also fantastically inventive and absorbing.

TJCams
05-31-2013, 01:47 PM
The only problem is....it's gonna take me a while to get through Anathem - could stop a train with it!!!! It's a big one. I don't know if I will tackle that first, or try Embassytown or Hyperion (Mieville - Simmons) first. I have a feeling if I do Hyperion, I will want to follow it up with the next one in that series. But, I also hear that it can be a hard read.

srboone
05-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Embassytown will be a tough read, also. The first 40-50 pages will be challenging as you get used to the structure of his book and his writing style. But it's worth it.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Continuing on my Bentley Little kick, I'm reading DOMINION.

TJCams
05-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Little is one author I discovered by finding CD. I have yet to read any of his books - although there was a short story or two that I have read in CD mag. Any suggestions on what Little novel is a good starter, or does it really matter?

Ben Staad
05-31-2013, 03:38 PM
Dropped Insomnia and picked up Black Feathers by Joseph D'Lacey. It's okay (so far) but the author took the first 200 pages to put in place the back story.

Kealan Patrick Burke
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Little is one author I discovered by finding CD. I have yet to read any of his books - although there was a short story or two that I have read in CD mag. Any suggestions on what Little novel is a good starter, or does it really matter?

He's an acquired taste, that's for sure. I would suggest THE RESORT or THE POLICY, the latter being my favorite of his books.

RJK1981
06-01-2013, 12:37 AM
He's an acquired taste, that's for sure. I would suggest THE RESORT or THE POLICY, the latter being my favorite of his books.

Have only read a couple of his stuff, but The Policy was my first read of Bentley Little's (He's one of 2 Little's I am a fan of) and it was a very good read.

Kealan Patrick Burke
06-01-2013, 05:35 PM
John Little is a wonderful writer too. His THE MEMORY TREE destroyed me.

TJCams
06-01-2013, 05:42 PM

I have been meaning to read that Little too - some of his books (e-books anyways) sound great!

Tommy
06-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Finished Stage Whispers last night, very cool, can't wait to get to Nemesis :cool:

RJK1981
06-01-2013, 08:38 PM

Same here. One of the best books I have read really.

Kealan Patrick Burke
06-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Finished Stage Whispers last night, very cool, can't wait to get to Nemesis :cool:

Thanks Tommy! Delighted to hear you enjoyed it!

TJCams
06-24-2013, 08:30 PM
I will be finishing up Underneath tonight. Kealan - another fine job. I am finding I am really enjoying your very short stories. They are very captivating, and easy to read, which is a good thing of course. Glad I stumbled upon CD somehow and found authors such as yourself.

Kealan Patrick Burke
06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
I will be finishing up Underneath tonight. Kealan - another fine job. I am finding I am really enjoying your very short stories. They are very captivating, and easy to read, which is a good thing of course. Glad I stumbled upon CD somehow and found authors such as yourself.

Thanks TJ!

Kealan Patrick Burke
06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm reading GATES OF EDEN by Ethan Coen.

Kealan Patrick Burke
06-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Currently reading BLOOD MERIDIAN by Cormac McCarthy.

Tommy
06-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Currently reading BLOOD MERIDIAN by Cormac McCarthy.

Not only my favorite Cormac McCarthy novel but also one of my favorite books in general, so brutal, love it!

William J. Grabowski
07-01-2013, 01:08 PM
McCarthy is untouchable. It's also a great experience reading any Coen brothers' script.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-01-2013, 05:50 PM
200 pages into BLOOD MERIDIAN, and brutal is an understatement.

Tommy
07-01-2013, 07:00 PM

It gets even darker on the re-read, I'm sure you will want to check out his other books if you haven't already after reading that one, Child of God is particularly naughty, can't recommend all of his works highly enough, my only complaint is that he hasn't written more

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-02-2013, 08:32 AM
It gets even darker on the re-read, I'm sure you will want to check out his other books if you haven't already after reading that one, Child of God is particularly naughty, can't recommend all of his works highly enough, my only complaint is that he hasn't written more

The only other book of his that I've read is THE ROAD, and it's one of my top ten favorite books of all time (thus far.)

Tommy
07-02-2013, 12:44 PM
The only other book of his that I've read is THE ROAD, and it's one of my top ten favorite books of all time (thus far.)

The Road is a perfect book and the first I read from McCarthy as well. It would also be in my top ten if not for Blood Meridian. Roger Ebert was a big fan of McCarthy's and always said that Suttree (his funniest book by far) was his Masterpiece. It's hard to choose from those three which I like the best but I always go with Blood Meridian because The Judge is one of the most frightening creations I've ever come across in modern literature. I still need to read the Border Trilogy but I put it off because of how sad it will be once I have read everything by him and have to wait for his new one. Silly of me, I know.

TJCams
07-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Reading, and enjoying, Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Tommy: I just read this line of dialogue by The Judge that sent chills up my spine:

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-03-2013, 04:18 PM
I'll have to add Suttree to the list.

Tommy
07-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Tommy: I just read this line of dialogue by The Judge that sent chills up my spine:

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

The ending will really creep you out, I had to read it a few times just to make sure I had read what I thought I had read, The Judge lives in my nightmares, but in a good way

Tommy
07-03-2013, 05:09 PM
I'll have to add Suttree to the list.

Child of God can be read in one sitting but it will leave you thoroughly freaked out, it is McCarthy's loose take on Ed Gein, The Outer Dark is another good one about a brother and sister who have a baby together and well....you can imagine what McCarthy can do with that situation. Suttree takes a while to read because it is his longest work and the way it's written is reminiscent of Ulysses, I actually could do with a reread of Suttree myself, sorry to babble but I absolutely love McCarthy!

TerryE
07-03-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm reading GATES OF EDEN by Ethan Coen.

That was a good collection. It's been a while since I read it, and my copy has been loaned out to my best friend.

RJK1981
07-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Pretty sure I have a copy of this on one of my bookcases, may have to bring it with me on vacation. Lots of books demanding my attention though, lol. Still not sure if I will bring the new Khaled Hosseini book with me not. Leaning towards not bringing it though as I would rather read that book in private so I get more into it. Likely would be more guarded towards getting emotionally invested in a book with others around me.

Tommy
07-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Last month, I read Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon and absolutely loved it, then Joyland and it was quite a lot of fun, enjoyed it and today I finished up Inferno by Dan Brown and while I appreciate the tour of Florence and Venice provided, the story, though disturbing, was a bit slight and almost like something written for young adults, it is a page turner though and the first I've read by him so I don't have anything to compare it to

RJK1981
07-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Read Angels & Demons. I've only read that one and The Da Vinci Code. The Da Vinci Code was good, but found Angels & Demons to be a more enjoyable read. Have not read any of the books in that series yet though.

subie09lega
07-04-2013, 10:26 PM
I agree, Angels was better.

Read Angels & Demons. I've only read that one and The Da Vinci Code. The Da Vinci Code was good, but found Angels & Demons to be a more enjoyable read. Have not read any of the books in that series yet though.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Child of God can be read in one sitting but it will leave you thoroughly freaked out, it is McCarthy's loose take on Ed Gein, The Outer Dark is another good one about a brother and sister who have a baby together and well....you can imagine what McCarthy can do with that situation. Suttree takes a while to read because it is his longest work and the way it's written is reminiscent of Ulysses, I actually could do with a reread of Suttree myself, sorry to babble but I absolutely love McCarthy!

I found Ulysses torture to read, but CHILD OF GOD sounds right up my alley.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-05-2013, 06:12 PM
That was a good collection. It's been a while since I read it, and my copy has been loaned out to my best friend.

It was good, if a little uneven.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Have to admit, I've never read any of Dan Brown's work, and probably never will. There are just far too many other authors out there whose work interests me more.

Tommy
07-05-2013, 07:01 PM
I found Ulysses torture to read, but CHILD OF GOD sounds right up my alley.

Don't let my comparison of Suttree to Ulysses stop you from reading it because it is well worth the read, I found Ulysses to be the most difficult book I've ever read but I did like it, Suttree is complex, beautifully written and nowhere near as difficult to read. The comparison comes from the epic sprawl of the story and how it is written in different, somewhat disorienting vignettes where sometimes you aren't entirely sure what's happening And yes, Child of God is right up your alley Mr. Burke :cool:

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Don't let my comparison of Suttree to Ulysses stop you from reading it because it is well worth the read, I found Ulysses to be the most difficult book I've ever read but I did like it, Suttree is complex, beautifully written and nowhere near as difficult to read. The comparison comes from the epic sprawl of the story and how it is written in different, somewhat disorienting vignettes where sometimes you aren't entirely sure what's happening And yes, Child of God is right up your alley Mr. Burke :cool:

I'll add it to the reading tower. In the meantime, I just finished BLOOD MERIDIAN. It was a masterpiece.

TJCams
07-05-2013, 08:45 PM
You guys have spurred me to put McCarty on my want to read list on goodreads. Not sure when I will grab one, or when I will read him, but..... sure sounds like my kind of stuff!

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-06-2013, 06:23 PM
You guys have spurred me to put McCarty on my want to read list on goodreads. Not sure when I will grab one, or when I will read him, but..... sure sounds like my kind of stuff!

If/when you do, I hope you dig it. I'd suggest starting with THE ROAD.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Currently reading THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME by Mark Haddon. Very funny so far. The perfect antidote to the grimness of BLOOD MERIDIAN.

srboone
07-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Rereading The Green Mile.

Tommy
07-07-2013, 04:53 AM

I agree, The Road is the best way to start with McCarthy, such a good book

Tommy
07-07-2013, 04:56 AM
I just finished BLOOD MERIDIAN. It was a masterpiece.

Absolutely! Can you believe James Franco was attached as a producer/possible director for a film version there for a while? Even though I like James Franco, I'm kind of glad that project fell through because it would have been a mess

Tommy
07-07-2013, 04:57 AM
Started The Twelve by Justin Cronin, so far, so good

srboone
07-07-2013, 05:20 AM
Absolutely! Can you believe James Franco was attached as a producer/possible director for a film version there for a while? Even though I like James Franco, I'm kind of glad that project fell through because it would have been a mess

I take it there's no character who is perpetually high in the novel? ;)

Tommy
07-07-2013, 05:32 AM

Nope, though you may feel the need for a few tokes after reading it :cool:

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Rereading The Green Mile.

One of my favorites.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-07-2013, 04:23 PM

He would not have been right for that adaptation at all. I'm glad it fell through. Less glad that Tommy Lee Jones' attempts to bring it to the screen were unsuccessful. He might have been able to do it right, though after seeing No Country for Old Men, I'd like to see what the Coen Brothers could do with the material, as they seem to get McCarthy's tone.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Not unless you consider bloodlust a drug.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Nope, though you may feel the need for a few tokes after reading it :cool:

Indeed.

Tommy, did you ever see THE SUNSET LIMITED?

Tommy
07-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Indeed.

Tommy, did you ever see THE SUNSET LIMITED?

No, but I want to, I'm sure it's good just haven't got around to it yet

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-07-2013, 04:56 PM
No, but I want to, I'm sure it's good just haven't got around to it yet

It's a hard one to recommend, and your enjoyment of it will be directly proportional to how well you like one-location, all dialogue plays about philosophy and theology. It's pretty much two actors representing McCarthy's own internal debate about religion. I enjoyed it, but then, from a writer's perspective, the themes and dialogue engaged me. Not sure if it'd be the case if I weren't. I know the reviews were decidedly mixed, and I can see why.

Tommy
07-07-2013, 05:04 PM
I will probably like it then, I'm a big fan of movies like that, it sounds like a darker My Dinner with Andre, I also still need to read The Stonemason but my local B&N never has a copy and I always forget to order one, one of these days though

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I will probably like it then, I'm a big fan of movies like that, it sounds like a darker My Dinner with Andre, I also still need to read The Stonemason but my local B&N never has a copy and I always forget to order one, one of these days though

Interestingly enough, one review of THE SUNSET LIMITED mentioned MY DINNER WITH ANDRE, so you may indeed like it.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Finished THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME. Not bad, but I'm not sure it earned its universal praise.

Now reading THE STREETS OF LAREDO, the only book in the LONESOME DOVE quartet I haven't yet read.

RJK1981
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I agree, The Road is the best way to start with McCarthy, such a good book

Definitely have to agree with that. It took a little getting used to with the writing style, but once I got used to it I couldn't put it down. Absolutely great book. I was impressed with the movie too, as I was expecting something bad, but it was made more in line with the book than most movies made from books by authors such as Stephen King

Tommy
07-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Definitely have to agree with that. It took a little getting used to with the writing style, but once I got used to it I couldn't put it down. Absolutely great book. I was impressed with the movie too, as I was expecting something bad, but it was made more in line with the book than most movies made from books by authors such as Stephen King

I have avoided the movie just because I wanted to keep my vision of the book alive in my head but I do hear good things about, I will more than likely see it one day

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I liked the movie. Managed to be just as depressing as the book.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Finished STREETS OF LAREDO. Great read, though it pales in comparison to LONESOME DOVE.

Reading Capote's IN COLD BLOOD now.

Tommy
07-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Reading Capote's IN COLD BLOOD now.

That one is in my top ten as well!

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-12-2013, 07:38 PM
That one is in my top ten as well!

Beautifully written so far.

bookworm 1
07-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Robert McCammon' s Gone South.This guy is awesome.

Tommy
07-13-2013, 04:30 AM
Robert McCammon' s Gone South.This guy is awesome.

I'm working on getting all his books read this year, he is absolutely brilliant!

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-14-2013, 06:39 PM
He absolutely is. BOYS LIFE remains one of my top ten favorite novels, and without MYSTERY WALK, I doubt there would ever have been a Timmy Quinn.

RJK1981
07-14-2013, 06:40 PM
I have avoided the movie just because I wanted to keep my vision of the book alive in my head but I do hear good things about, I will more than likely see it one day

I was a little nervous about the movie initially as the first previews made it seem like it would deviate from the book, but subsequent previews made me decide to watch it (which I would have done anyway, much like anything based on King's work even though they rarely measure up, lol) and was pleasantly surprised.

RJK1981
07-14-2013, 07:20 PM
I liked the movie. Managed to be just as depressing as the book.

Yes it was, and that is good. Don't know if I would have enjoyed it otherwise.

Loved the open-ended conclusion as well. That one and Children of Men have some of my favorite endings, particularly Children of Men. They both end with at least a semblance of hope, but what would happen if those hopes were dashed? How would those characters react then? Love when these kind of movies have endings the viewers have to use their imaginations about to decide when happens next. I know some people hate the ending of Children of Men because it is not a clearly defined conclusion. I think it is silly to hate having to use your imaginations, but then again some people don't have imaginations. Heck I knew someone who didn't like V for Vendetta because there were too many words or too much talking. He wasn't a very bright guy though, lol.

No Country For Old Men (What happened to the wife? That part is not actually shown like pretty much everything else is in the movie. though it is easy to come to certain assumptions) falls into that open ended conclusions thing too, but not as much as those other 2 for me.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Yes it was, and that is good. Don't know if I would have enjoyed it otherwise.

Loved the open-ended conclusion as well. That one and Children of Men have some of my favorite endings, particularly Children of Men. They both end with at least a semblance of hope, but what would happen if those hopes were dashed? How would those characters react then? Love when these kind of movies have endings the viewers have to use their imaginations about to decide when happens next. I know some people hate the ending of Children of Men because it is not a clearly defined conclusion. I think it is silly to hate having to use your imaginations, but then again some people don't have imaginations. Heck I knew someone who didn't like V for Vendetta because there were too many words or too much talking. He wasn't a very bright guy though, lol.

No Country For Old Men (What happened to the wife? That part is not actually shown like pretty much everything else is in the movie. though it is easy to come to certain assumptions) falls into that open ended conclusions thing too, but not as much as those other 2 for me.

I think it's pretty obvious what becomes of the wife. The whole wiping the shoes on the doormat says all that needs to be said about her fate.

RJK1981
07-18-2013, 10:09 AM
I think it's pretty obvious what becomes of the wife. The whole wiping the shoes on the doormat says all that needs to be said about her fate.

That's why it doesn't fall into the open ended conclusion as much as those other movies. I agree with your conclusion, but I have known some people who would hope for the opposite. What ends up happening to Bardem's character is open ended as well, but knowing the character I can make some assumptions.

I think Children of Men's ending is my favorite. If you haven't seen that movie I would recommend it.

TerryE
07-19-2013, 01:36 AM
Heck I knew someone who didn't like V for Vendetta because there were too many words or too much talking.

I just finished re-reading "V for Vendetta". While reading the notes about the creation of the series, I got one of those "Yes, I see now that you mention it" moments. Moore pointed out that they took great trouble to let the art do the talking in V. He almost completely did away with narration and thought balloons. Everything was told through the art and dialogue. That's quite a rare feat, and I should have noticed it, because the internal thought expositions and narration were some of my favorite parts of "Swamp Thing".

Tommy
07-27-2013, 08:25 AM
He absolutely is. BOYS LIFE remains one of my top ten favorite novels, and without MYSTERY WALK, I doubt there would ever have been a Timmy Quinn.

Reading Mystery Walk and I am kicking myself for not having read it sooner!

RJK1981
07-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Well, have my books chosen pretty much to bring on vacation with me in a few hours. Bringing Prophets of the Ghost Ants, Hell House, and Joyland for sure. Might grab On Writing too, but we'll see. Also bringing my Kindle too, of course.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Reading Mystery Walk and I am kicking myself for not having read it sooner!

Love that one.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Well, have my books chosen pretty much to bring on vacation with me in a few hours. Bringing Prophets of the Ghost Ants, Hell House, and Joyland for sure. Might grab On Writing too, but we'll see. Also bringing my Kindle too, of course.

Have you read HELL HOUSE? One of my favorites.

TJCams
07-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Hell House is high on my list of books I really want to get. If only I had the time to catch up on all I want to read.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I hear that.

TerryE
07-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Working on "Joyland" at work and "The Novellas" by some guy named Burke on the Kindle app on the phone. Almost finished with "The Tent". Lot's of left turns in that one.

Highbury
08-01-2013, 01:30 AM
James Lee Burke? :D

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Highbury: Obviously he was referring to the master of the genre, the multi-award winning bestseller.

So yes, me. :rolleyes:

(I friggin' wish.)

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Working on "Joyland" at work and "The Novellas" by some guy named Burke on the Kindle app on the phone. Almost finished with "The Tent". Lot's of left turns in that one.

I can honestly say I have never had more fun writing a story.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Currently reading: lost boy lost girl by Peter Straub.

Martin
08-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Love that book!
Currently reading: lost boy lost girl by Peter Straub.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Love that book!

Yeah, it's a wonderful read so far. Was a time when I read Straub's work religiously. For some reason that changed over the past few years--which makes little sense, as Ghost Story is my favorite horror novel, bar none--but now I'm kicking myself for forgetting just how damn good he is. But on the plus side, I have a backlog of his work to enjoy.

TerryE
08-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I just dug out my box of Straub, and intend to keep it on top as I rearrange. I have a lot of catching up to do, too. Ghost Story is in my top 10 books ever.

TerryE
08-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Highbury: Obviously he was referring to the master of the genre, the multi-award winning bestseller.

So yes, me. :rolleyes:

(I friggin' wish.)

Would ya settle for "well regarded and moderately successful"?

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Would ya settle for "well regarded and moderately successful"?

That will do nicely!

Ben Staad
08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Reading Ex-Communication by Peter Clines and very soon will start Seed by Rob Ziegler.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Reading WESTLAKE SOUL by my pal Rio Youers, and loving it.

Ben Staad
08-04-2013, 10:34 PM
I need to keep this book in mind. You are the second author (I've heard) saying positive things about this book.

Reading WESTLAKE SOUL by my pal Rio Youers, and loving it.

RJK1981
08-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Never read it before, but started reading it a couple of days ago and am enjoying it so far! Didn't read any of it yesterday though as I was riding in a vehicle for hours coming home, so was reading on my Kindle and was too tired to concentrate on books in the later hours of the evening when I had more time to do some reading, and not sure how time I will have for reading for a bit as I now get to start the process of moving.

TJCams
08-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah, it's a wonderful read so far. Was a time when I read Straub's work religiously. For some reason that changed over the past few years--which makes little sense, as Ghost Story is my favorite horror novel, bar none--but now I'm kicking myself for forgetting just how damn good he is. But on the plus side, I have a backlog of his work to enjoy.

Ghost Story is a novel I am ashamed to admit I have not read, especially as a fan of the horror genre. My first Straub read was If You Could See Me Now. That is a really good one too!

I am enjoying my first Lansdale novel right now - compliments of a Goodreads win of The Thicket ARC.

Tommy
08-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I read Ghost Story for the first time at the beginning of this year and was nothing but impressed by it, Just finished Mystery Walk and liked it a lot, of McCammon's work, I will probably try Usher's Passing Next What did you think of In Cold Blood Mr Burke?

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-08-2013, 01:45 AM
I need to keep this book in mind. You are the second author (I've heard) saying positive things about this book.

I was blown away by it.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Never read it before, but started reading it a couple of days ago and am enjoying it so far! Didn't read any of it yesterday though as I was riding in a vehicle for hours coming home, so was reading on my Kindle and was too tired to concentrate on books in the later hours of the evening when I had more time to do some reading, and not sure how time I will have for reading for a bit as I now get to start the process of moving.

One of my favorite Matheson stories, right behind I AM LEGEND.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Ghost Story is a novel I am ashamed to admit I have not read, especially as a fan of the horror genre. My first Straub read was If You Could See Me Now. That is a really good one too!

I am enjoying my first Lansdale novel right now - compliments of a Goodreads win of The Thicket ARC.

First Lansdale?! Oh my, are you in for a treat.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-08-2013, 01:46 AM
I read Ghost Story for the first time at the beginning of this year and was nothing but impressed by it, Just finished Mystery Walk and liked it a lot, of McCammon's work, I will probably try Usher's Passing Next What did you think of In Cold Blood Mr Burke?

Loved it. Easy to see why it made such an impact when it was released.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-08-2013, 01:47 AM
I'm reading Gone Girl now.

Ben Staad
08-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Still haven't read this one but loved her other work. If the reviews are accurate you are in for a great read.

I'm reading Gone Girl now.

TJCams
08-08-2013, 04:02 PM
First Lansdale?! Oh my, are you in for a treat.

And boy am I enjoying it! I am tearing through it, at least in terms of how I usually read. I consider myself very lucky and happy I got the chance to read this one - as an ARC giveaway win. I will definitely be looking for more of his work - any suggestions?

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-08-2013, 06:48 PM
And boy am I enjoying it! I am tearing through it, at least in terms of how I usually read. I consider myself very lucky and happy I got the chance to read this one - as an ARC giveaway win. I will definitely be looking for more of his work - any suggestions?

The Bottoms. The Big Blow. And while I haven't read enough of them to really recommend them, people seem to love his Hap & Leonard novels.

TJCams
08-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks. I will keep my eyes open on those.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Also, just responded to your PM here (which I only just realized was there.)

TJCams
08-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Just finished my first Lansdale; The Thicket. Fantastic western!

Onto a zombie anthology - Appalachian Undead!

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-13-2013, 05:56 PM
I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Superb. Now 40 pages into House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski.

TJCams
08-13-2013, 06:28 PM
I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Superb. Now 40 pages into House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski.

I have heard lots of stuff about that one -from being weird, different, and mostly disturbing. It is on my to be read list. I'm curious as to your thoughts on it.

peteOcha
08-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Can't decide on what to read next... Torn between Book of Horrors or Dreamcatcher...

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-14-2013, 07:57 PM
I loved the first half of DREAMCATCHER. The second half...not so much.

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I have heard lots of stuff about that one -from being weird, different, and mostly disturbing. It is on my to be read list. I'm curious as to your thoughts on it.

It's an odd one, that's for sure, but so far, the oddness of it ties in nicely with the story. We'll see...

TJCams
08-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I loved the first half of DREAMCATCHER. The second half...not so much.

I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit - haven't read the book though.

peteOcha
08-14-2013, 10:53 PM
I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit - haven't read the book though.

I hated the movie, which is why I'm afraid to pick up the book. Well, maybe hate is too strong a word, but I just couldn't get into it really...

Although there hasn't been a King book I haven't liked so... And lets be honest, not many King movies have done the books justice.

Sabrina Morgan
08-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Can't decide on what to read next... Torn between Book of Horrors or Dreamcatcher...

Book of Horrors!!!!!!:o
Dreamcatcher :(

Tommy
08-15-2013, 08:42 AM
working on The Shift by Hugh Howey, digging it!

TJCams
08-15-2013, 01:11 PM
I hated the movie, which is why I'm afraid to pick up the book. Well, maybe hate is too strong a word, but I just couldn't get into it really...

Although there hasn't been a King book I haven't liked so... And lets be honest, not many King movies have done the books justice.

Agreed. I think the ending was not to my liking, but I did like the movie (although I never read the book). I do enjoy most King movies. It seems I have this thing where I saw the movie and either haven't read, or can't remember much of the book, or read the book and not seen it's movie (or don't remember much about it either).

TJCams
08-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Kealan - how goes House of Leaves.......?

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-29-2013, 04:28 AM
Kealan - how goes House of Leaves.......?

Good. About 300 pages in. Would probably be finished if not for a week of illness in which high fever made sleep about the only activity worth engaging. But I'm still enjoying it!

Tommy
08-29-2013, 06:13 AM
Good. About 300 pages in. Would probably be finished if not for a week of illness in which high fever made sleep about the only activity worth engaging. But I'm still enjoying it!

Sorry to hear that you are not well, I haven't read that book but from everything I've heard a fever might actually go along with it fairly well, anyway, feel better soon!

Kealan Patrick Burke
08-29-2013, 06:23 AM
Yeah, it might have helped, but I didn't want to risk sliding into yet another dimension!

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm pretty much back to speed now (I think.)

Ben Staad
12-07-2014, 03:14 AM
Any new book recommendations?

Kealan Patrick Burke
12-25-2014, 02:36 AM
Bird Box by Josh Malerman was fantastic.

Martin
12-25-2014, 06:44 AM
I had to look this one up since I had not heard of the author before. Sounds very intriguing, by TBR pile grows once again!

Ben Staad
12-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Sounds interesting. I will check it out. Thanks!

Highbury
12-25-2014, 09:24 PM
I have read it and can echo those comments. A good book and quick read.

Kealan Patrick Burke
12-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Another one to add to list is YOU by Caroline Kepnes. A great stalker thriller.

TJCams
12-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Another one to add to list is YOU by Caroline Kepnes. A great stalker thriller.

The overview of this sounds interesting for sure - added to by TBR list!

re: Bird Box - I have had this in my hands a couple times at the store......sounds like a good one too!

I am really enjoying The Strain - I'm about 25% in.

Kealan Patrick Burke
01-07-2015, 04:38 AM
Finished THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir. Excellent.

Just started THE PILO FAMILY CIRCUS by Will Elliot. Bizarre and creepy so far.

TJCams
01-07-2015, 12:57 PM
The Martian is on my list of books I want to get my hands on. It's certainly had lots of hype and they are making a movie too are they not?

The story sounds quite similar to Mars by Ben Bova, at least by reading the overview on it.

Kealan Patrick Burke
01-09-2015, 02:35 PM
The Martian is on my list of books I want to get my hands on. It's certainly had lots of hype and they are making a movie too are they not?

The story sounds quite similar to Mars by Ben Bova, at least by reading the overview on it.

It was very good indeed. A bit heavy on the science, but that's to be expected. Ridley Scott is apparently directing the movie with Matt Damon in the lead role.

ajw2910
01-11-2015, 02:17 AM
Reading Abarat: Absolute Midnight at the moment.

Just finished World War Z by Max Brooks - excellent in my opinion.

Kealan Patrick Burke
01-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Gave up on THE PILO FAMILY CIRCUS. Bit too gonzo for me.

Midway through THE SILENT LAND by Graham Joyce and loving it.

TJCams
01-12-2015, 08:13 PM
I just started A Game of Thrones - got the box set of pb's for Christmas.

Kealan Patrick Burke
01-13-2015, 01:50 AM
I just started A Game of Thrones - got the box set of pb's for Christmas.

Niiiiice!

bookworm 1
01-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Reading Robert McCammon' s They Thirst. Really good. At home I read from the signed limited and at work and when I am out from the e-book. Also started The Twilight Zone Scripts. Reading Earl Hamner' s scripts watching the episodes after I have read them. Next will be the Twilight Zone scripts of Richard Matheson. Will do the same. As I said on Facebook earlier the only down side to this is Netflix doesn't have season 4 the season of all hour long shows. Don't know why that is.

bsaenz24
01-14-2015, 02:56 PM
I loved the TZ series, but I think it really suffered when it went to the 1 hour format when it had to fill in for another show. It seemed like they would repeat parts of the story with different people as other examples of the "weirdness" going on. Too much repetition. I loved the other seasons.

bookworm 1
01-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Funny you say that. That was one of the things that has come up several times while reading the Earl Hamner scripts. He talks about that in the I interview that is done with him and it is brought up by the co author in the summaries. This is a fascinating book and I am looking g forward to reading the Matheson scripts and 're- watching those. I am curious to see how many episodes Matheson did that were an hour if any. Hamner only did one.

Kealan Patrick Burke
01-19-2015, 05:22 AM
THE SILENT LAND was superb. Onto NIGHT FILM by Marisha Pessl.

Kealan Patrick Burke
03-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Enjoyed NIGHT FILM, plowed through CYPRESS GROVE by James Sallis. Currently reading WORLD GONE BY by Dennis Lehane.

mhatchett
03-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Sallis is one of my favorites!

Kealan Patrick Burke
03-27-2015, 04:50 AM
Yeah, he's really good. Need to read more of his stuff.

tyree
12-05-2018, 07:25 PM

Oh dude you are in for a treat. Say, this is not your first Connolly, is it ? If so, if memory serves you are going about the series right proper like by starting
with the first.

I am revisiting Brant in the Ken Bruen series. I started with THE GUARDS, a Jack Taylor, still as mind blowing to me as the first time I read that sucker.

So I decided to slum it with Brant. Wish Solow did not ask for THE WHITE TRILOGY back after giving it to me but in all honesty, it was me who said Dave,
you know how much this book is worth you stupid stupid man ? Indian give this back ! I won't tell anyone...plus I am glad you want it back...motherfucker !

...oops ! :)

William J. Grabowski
12-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Superb novel!