Ray Harryhausen(1920-2013).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray Harryhausen(1920-2013).

The man responsible for so many of my childhood terrors passed away on 07 may at the age of 92. A pioneer in the field of special effects, he leaves behind a legacy no amount of CGI can erase.

RIP.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Agreed. I was such a huge fan of the Titans and Sinbad. King Kong and Mighty Joe Young are classics. He provided me with great pieces of childhood memories.

Comment

He will be sorely missed. Ray Harryhausen's work has been a favourite of mine since childhood. His work brought about imaginative scenes that even now with CG we can't match the wonderment he was able to create. The amount of time he spent making each scene with stop motion animation i staggering too. My all time favourite of his was Jason and the Argonauts, the skeleton scene near the end and the giant bronze statue just look AMAZING. Rest in Peace, Ray.

Comment

The passing of a master, his stop motion magic brought so much enjoyment during my childhood. Jason and the Argonauts was my favorite.
        If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

I'll miss ole Ray, too. I'm sure most of you are aware they named a restaurant in the Pixar movie "Monster's Inc" after Ray, because he was so influential. But they also intentionally had the octopus sushi chef with only 6 tentacles as a tribute to "It Came from Beneath the Sea" which had a budget so tight that the giant octopus attacking the city only had 6 tentacles. At least he gets to hang with Ray Bradbury and Forry Ackerman again.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Oh that is sad. RIP.

Comment

One of my earliest memories was watching The Valley of Gwangi with my dad. He loved that movie! And as a kid, I sure did too. What kid doesn't like dinosaurs?

Comment

Another Jason fan here. That was my first Harryhausen experience, and I was a fan for life.
                I loved -still love- the magic he worked; maybe not always convincing, but I prefer lesser Harryhausen effects over most CGI we see these days.

sk

Comment

Very sad. The only film I can really recall seeing was The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, but those kind of effects stick with you when you're so used to 90s costume horror or CGI style movies. R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                  X