Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBooks Stores

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
    I will have to check out Calibre and see if it can convert Amazon books to a format my Kobo can read. It's a pretty sweet deal though.
    I don't think amazon actually provides book files, it's all embeded and hidden in their software. Also it's usually DRM encrypted so even if you do find it I don't think Calibre would be able to do anything with it.

edit: Moved from Dark Fuse thread.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

I'm pretty sure you're right on that. I have unfortunately missed a lot of good deals because of that. Where's the love for Kobo?!?!?

Comment

I'm pretty sure you're right on that. I have unfortunately missed a lot of good deals because of that. Where's the love for Kobo?!?!?
      I think it's mostly Amazon running lots of sales. Also just from experience 90% of a books eBooks sales are via Amazon. Also if the sellers are still on Kobo's old book management system sales are not the easiest thing in the world to do. Their new system is much better and easier to use though.

Instagram

Comment

I'm curious as the the percentage of e-reader ownership in the US - I just read that Kobo is the #1 e-reader in Canada - 46% or something like that of all e-readers owned are Kobo.

It seems that Kobo has more versatility in the files you can use.

Comment

I'm curious as the the percentage of e-reader ownership in the US - I just read that Kobo is the #1 e-reader in Canada - 46% or something like that of all e-readers owned are Kobo.

It seems that Kobo has more versatility in the files you can use.
          Well the big difference between Kobo and Amazon is marketing. I wouldn't even know where to purchase a Kobo reader, but I know I can swing by any electronics store and pick up a Kindle.

As far as format's go, I think they are pretty similar, the main difference being that Kindle's main format is the ".mobi" file type and Kobo uses the ".epub". They both support other types of formats including PDF files and Word Documents. I actually find it hard to believe that Kobo is #1 in Canada truthfully. Just given the vast difference in sales numbers between Amazon and Kobo. Granted on Amazon US and Canadian eBook sales are combined so I have no idea what Canada specific sales are. I do know that of the stores we sell to here's the general sales ranking.

1. Amazon
          2. Barnes and Noble
          3. Apple
          4. Kobo
          5. Sony (we don't really work with them anymore)

The CD store is actually probably at the bottom of that list or just above Sony, hard to tell with the different clubs / free eBook deals we do.

Instagram

Comment

We don't have Barnes and Noble here (at least that I know of). We have Chapters (Indigo) and their big product is Kobo. In fact, I think every electronics retailer in Canada (Best Buy, The Source, places like Wal-Mart) all carry them too. It's interesting that of all the people I know that have e-readers, they are either Kobo or Sony.

I know you have to consider size of market, etc. You guys out populate us probably close to 10:1, so Amazon (Kindle) has a distinct advantage in that regard alone.

I will also mention this - if my wife hadn't got me the Kobo mini for Christmas, I probably would not have bought one myself. I am glad she did.

As long as you guys continue to offer your products for Kobo formats, I will buy - not every single one mind you.

Apparently - and I found this by using good ol' Google - Kobo has 45% market share in Canada, yet single digit market share in the US. Hence Dan..... your comment about not knowing knowing where to get a Kobo.
            Last edited by TJCams; 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              I don't think amazon actually provides book files, it's all embeded and hidden in their software. Also it's usually DRM encrypted so even if you do find it I don't think Calibre would be able to do anything with it.

edit: Moved from Dark Fuse thread.
              There are files on the mac version. They save to a folder on the computer. These can then be converted with the right software, it's easy if the have no drm, but those are few and far between.

Comment

Back when Borders were still around they marketed Kobo her in the Pacific Northwest. They appeared to vanish from the scene when Borders went under but have recently been popping in multiple retailers. Powell's books has very large Kobo displays in it's stores.

Comment

Amazon (US) hasn't had DRM on ebooks for quite a while now. Barnes & Noble does, which is why I never buy from them.

I convert Amazon ebooks to Nook format using Calibre and have no issues with it.

Comment

That's interesting Dave - I may have to try that conversion for my Kobo.

Comment

Working...
                    X