Which books to save???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which books to save???

Holy funnel-clouds-up-the-grey-underwear Batman! I'm living in Tornado Alley here in KCMO! I had about 15 minutes to get my s*** together and run into my basement. I looked over my bookshelves and told myself to take 5 and only 5 with me. But which ones to take?

Cemetery Dance, Subterranean Press, Mansion House, Bad Moon and Easton Press; not to mention all my Stephen King, Michael Moorcock and Umberto Eco (my favorite authors) Trade HCs.

Crap, How do I choose?

How would you choose?
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Well, no CD title made it, sad to say.

I took all Easton Press books: War and Peace (because I've never read it); Uncle Tom's Cabin; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Moby Dick (all favorites of mine); and an oversized complete works of Chaucer.

But, obviously I survived and so did my CD library. Whew!!!
    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Wow I'm not sure I'd be able to choose. I'd probably just make several trips since I tend to be a bit on the crazy side anyway sometimes lol. I will have to think about that one
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Damn!! You just gave me a panic attack about what I would take if I can to make a run like that!!!! I think I would ignore which publisher a book was from and pick those books I would want to read over and over. The first title I would grab is the hard cover copy of "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" because it is one of my favorite books ever, I was able to have him sign it years ago and I could reread it over and over.

After that...who knows.....I would probably grab the kids then and see if I could still lift a few more books!!!

Ok, the kids are safe in the car and I came back in the house.....next up is my copy of Bag of Bones that King signed, including his middle name. I would probably pickthis over other signed King books only because I met him and got that one signed in person.

Finally I would grab my trade editon of Stephen Donaldson's White Gold Wielder because as a kid, my mom has seen it in the bookstore when it first came out and picked it up because she knew how much I loved his writing and gave it to me before I even knew that it had been released. After that I would have to head out because the kids are yelling something about the neighbor's house bing lifted into the air.

Comment

Well, now, about no CD title making the cut...

I have a lot of single author anthologies, a good collection of Sarrantonio books (mostly gotten through grab bags), some chapbooks, CD mags and a few novels. I do have The Passage, The Exorcist/Legion and SoD v1&2.. The only other Stephen King CD titles I have is Blockade Billy and and ARC of Riding the Bullet.

But if the 25th Ann. Ed. of IT were out, I definitely would have grabbed it.

The 5 I grabbed were in addition to the one I was reading now, a trade HC of Embassytown by China Mieville. Two days earlier and I would have taken the CD title Brides of the Impaler.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I don't think I'd be able to limit it to 5, lol, too many that I still need to read even, but would definitely want CD edition of The Passage, Brian Keene's Entombed from Camelot Books, Shivers VI, Simon Clark's King Blood and the 2 Vampyrrhic books, Neverland and The Abandoned from Douglas Clegg, Brian's Black Fire and The Painted Darkness would also have to come because they are both so good, Invisible Fences is also excellent and would have to come. Probably would have to grab Al Sarrantonio's Portents as it's the first book from his publishing company and I need to read more of it, as well SOD V2 of course. Once I get some books those would have to be added to that list as well, lol, like both edition of IT that I ordered and the Vampiricon Trilogy. So it's definitely good that I'm a bit crazy! Then again, I might get distracted by wanting to go outside with a camera and watch the storm
            Spoiler!

Comment

Glad to hear that you're okay.

My thoughts go out to the many that didn't make it.
              Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
                Glad to hear that you're okay.

My thoughts go out to the many that didn't make it.
                Thanks, nj. I'm a couple of hours north of Joplin, MO, but my sister-in-law lost a friend down there that she'd known since college. I'm still under a tornado watch for tonite...
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Had a tornado hit close to me here in Fridley, MN the same night as that horrible one in Joplin. Ripped the roof off the house and damaged trees and cars here, though it did a heck of a lot more damage in Minneapolis.
                  Spoiler!

Comment

Well, seeing how I've had time to think about it and that I might be running to the basement again, I revised my save list:

From Easton Press:

War and Peace, because I haven't read it and this is the copy I want to read when I finally do.
                    The Kelmscott Chaucer, because I shelled out more for this book than any other, also it's one of the few complete works of Chaucer outside of textbooks

From Cemetery Dance:

The Secretary of Dream volumes 1 & 2, because I was horrified when I realized I hadn't included them on my first list.

From my bookshelf:

Alice in Wonderland, 1910. Another book I was horrified about no originally including. It was my grandmother's favorite book when she was a young girl and she made a lot of notations in the margins. Priceless.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I don't think I could narrow my list down to just five books. I can say this (tongue in cheek) that I have two children and a wife you will certainly by carrying books out right along with me. If someone put a gun to my though I would have to say....The Hobbit, SOD I & II, IT, and The Wastelands.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Weed Species by Ketchum, all 4 versions of Dragon Tears by Koontz, my two Lumley's from Arkham House and Cycle of the Werewolf.

Comment

Five books? Impossible.
                          I'll have to do some serious thinking here....

sk

Comment

Forgot I can have the kids carry books too...so, the kids will carry the "critical" signed Ray Bradbury limited editions of Martin Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes and of course Fahrenheit 451. Ok, everybody back in the car.

Comment

I would pick "The Stand" by Stephen King, "The Road" by Cormac Mcarthary, "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. I would chose these books because they have a disaster/acpolypse theme. (This is the frame of mind I would be in if a tornado was coming my way) Then I would pick "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. I would also pick "Cell" by Stephen King because it also has a disaster/acpolypse theme.

Comment

Working...
                              X