PDA

View Full Version : Which books to save???

srboone
05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Holy funnel-clouds-up-the-grey-underwear Batman! I'm living in Tornado Alley here in KCMO! I had about 15 minutes to get my s*** together and run into my basement. I looked over my bookshelves and told myself to take 5 and only 5 with me. But which ones to take?:confused:

Cemetery Dance, Subterranean Press, Mansion House, Bad Moon and Easton Press; not to mention all my Stephen King, Michael Moorcock and Umberto Eco (my favorite authors) Trade HCs.:mad:

Crap, How do I choose?:eek:

How would you choose?

srboone
05-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Well, no CD title made it, sad to say.:(

I took all Easton Press books: War and Peace (because I've never read it); Uncle Tom's Cabin; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Moby Dick (all favorites of mine); and an oversized complete works of Chaucer.

But, obviously I survived and so did my CD library. Whew!!!:cool:

RJK1981
05-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Wow I'm not sure I'd be able to choose. I'd probably just make several trips since I tend to be a bit on the crazy side anyway sometimes lol. I will have to think about that one

bsaenz24
05-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Damn!! You just gave me a panic attack about what I would take if I can to make a run like that!!!! I think I would ignore which publisher a book was from and pick those books I would want to read over and over. The first title I would grab is the hard cover copy of "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" because it is one of my favorite books ever, I was able to have him sign it years ago and I could reread it over and over.

After that...who knows.....I would probably grab the kids then and see if I could still lift a few more books!!!

Ok, the kids are safe in the car and I came back in the house.....next up is my copy of Bag of Bones that King signed, including his middle name. I would probably pickthis over other signed King books only because I met him and got that one signed in person.

Finally I would grab my trade editon of Stephen Donaldson's White Gold Wielder because as a kid, my mom has seen it in the bookstore when it first came out and picked it up because she knew how much I loved his writing and gave it to me before I even knew that it had been released. After that I would have to head out because the kids are yelling something about the neighbor's house bing lifted into the air.

srboone
05-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, now, about no CD title making the cut...

I have a lot of single author anthologies, a good collection of Sarrantonio books (mostly gotten through grab bags), some chapbooks, CD mags and a few novels. I do have The Passage, The Exorcist/Legion and SoD v1&2.. The only other Stephen King CD titles I have is Blockade Billy and and ARC of Riding the Bullet.

But if the 25th Ann. Ed. of IT were out, I definitely would have grabbed it.

The 5 I grabbed were in addition to the one I was reading now, a trade HC of Embassytown by China Mieville. Two days earlier and I would have taken the CD title Brides of the Impaler.

RJK1981
05-25-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't think I'd be able to limit it to 5, lol, too many that I still need to read even, but would definitely want CD edition of The Passage, Brian Keene's Entombed from Camelot Books, Shivers VI, Simon Clark's King Blood and the 2 Vampyrrhic books, Neverland and The Abandoned from Douglas Clegg, Brian's Black Fire and The Painted Darkness would also have to come because they are both so good, Invisible Fences is also excellent and would have to come. Probably would have to grab Al Sarrantonio's Portents as it's the first book from his publishing company and I need to read more of it, as well SOD V2 of course. Once I get some books those would have to be added to that list as well, lol, like both edition of IT that I ordered and the Vampiricon Trilogy. So it's definitely good that I'm a bit crazy! Then again, I might get distracted by wanting to go outside with a camera and watch the storm

njhorror
05-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Glad to hear that you're okay.

My thoughts go out to the many that didn't make it.

srboone
05-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Glad to hear that you're okay.

My thoughts go out to the many that didn't make it.

Thanks, nj. I'm a couple of hours north of Joplin, MO, but my sister-in-law lost a friend down there that she'd known since college. I'm still under a tornado watch for tonite...

RJK1981
05-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Had a tornado hit close to me here in Fridley, MN the same night as that horrible one in Joplin. Ripped the roof off the house and damaged trees and cars here, though it did a heck of a lot more damage in Minneapolis.

srboone
05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Well, seeing how I've had time to think about it and that I might be running to the basement again, I revised my save list:

From Easton Press:

War and Peace, because I haven't read it and this is the copy I want to read when I finally do.
The Kelmscott Chaucer, because I shelled out more for this book than any other, also it's one of the few complete works of Chaucer outside of textbooks

From Cemetery Dance:

The Secretary of Dream volumes 1 & 2, because I was horrified when I realized I hadn't included them on my first list.

From my bookshelf:

Alice in Wonderland, 1910. Another book I was horrified about no originally including. It was my grandmother's favorite book when she was a young girl and she made a lot of notations in the margins. Priceless.

Ben Staad
05-26-2011, 01:07 AM
I don't think I could narrow my list down to just five books. I can say this (tongue in cheek) that I have two children and a wife you will certainly by carrying books out right along with me. If someone put a gun to my though I would have to say....The Hobbit, SOD I & II, IT, and The Wastelands.

jester05jk
05-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Weed Species by Ketchum, all 4 versions of Dragon Tears by Koontz, my two Lumley's from Arkham House and Cycle of the Werewolf.

frik51
05-26-2011, 04:13 AM
Five books? Impossible.
I'll have to do some serious thinking here....

sk

bsaenz24
05-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Forgot I can have the kids carry books too...so, the kids will carry the "critical" signed Ray Bradbury limited editions of Martin Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes and of course Fahrenheit 451. Ok, everybody back in the car.

pixie
05-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I would pick "The Stand" by Stephen King, "The Road" by Cormac Mcarthary, "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. I would chose these books because they have a disaster/acpolypse theme. (This is the frame of mind I would be in if a tornado was coming my way) Then I would pick "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. I would also pick "Cell" by Stephen King because it also has a disaster/acpolypse theme.

RonClinton
05-31-2011, 02:42 PM
My signed copy of Charles Beaumont's HUNGER AND OTHER STORIES, my signed copy of Joseph Payne Brennan's NINE HORRORS AND A DREAM, my Stephen King 1st HC that's inscribed to me, as well as the Laymon and Bloch HC 1sts that are inscribed to me. 'Course, that leaves behind my inscribed 1st HC of SWAN SONG, my signed 1st of Ken Grimwood's REPLAY, and a truckload of other books that I'd weep over for years.

Nik Houser
06-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Hmm...hard to limit it, but the top one for me to save might be my Boy's Life 1st edition signed by Robert McCammon. Strangely, I found it at a used book shop for 30 bucks. Same place I found my Subterranean Press edition of Old Man's War for the same price. It's a good used book shop.

Justin Case
06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Question is unfair.... I'd quickly assemble my quantum teleport field and immediately send my library in total to a safe environ - deep in my mountain lair. Then I'd get the wife and kids :)

I'm sorry.. I simply can't answer this question seriously at this time.

Ben Staad
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
This thread has made me think I need to build a safe room and put my library in there!

srboone
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Question is unfair.... I'd quickly assemble my quantum teleport field and immediately send my library in total to a safe environ - deep in my mountain lair. Then I'd get the wife and kids :)

I'm sorry.. I simply can't answer this question seriously at this time.

Where can I get one of those?

The teleport field, not the wife and kids....

keithminnion
06-03-2011, 11:45 PM
This one is easy for me, because my top five have remained steady for years now:

"A Soldier of the Great War" by Mark Helprin
"Summer of Night" by Dan Simmons
"A Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula K. LeGuin
"The Magus" by John Fowles
"We Have Always Lived in the Castle" by Shirley Jackson

If there was a number 6, it would be: "NOVA" by Samuel R. Delany

frik51
06-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Some very nice choices here.

I finally came up with:

The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R.Tolkien
The Stand - S.King
Boy's Life - R.R.McCammon
Carrion Comfort - D.Simmons
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - S.Donaldson ( I know, I know..)

sk

vampduster
06-05-2011, 01:52 PM
The Outsider And Others Lovecraft Arkham House
The Rising Ultra #2/6 Keene Delirium Books
Less Than Human Limited in hand made oak coffin by Gary Raisor Overlook Connection Press
Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired By SK Limited Edition Centipede Press
Secretary Of Dreams 2 Volumes Limited Edition SK CD Might be cheating with those 2
I'd probably suffer a hernia with the King art book!

Justin Case
06-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Where can I get one of those?

The teleport field, not the wife and kids....

They come as a set ;)

peteOcha
06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I would just keep them all in the basement...

The books, not the wife and kids...:)

srboone
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
They come as a set ;)

Dammit!:mad:

srboone
06-06-2011, 08:54 PM
I would just keep them all in the basement...

The books, not the wife and kids...:)

Hmmm........I sense a Jack Ketchum story here...:rolleyes:

Justin Case
06-08-2011, 07:12 PM
I think I could finally pick five.... but they have to be five boxes, albeit smaller boxes then I'd like.

Treehugger
06-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Some of these aren't horror-related, but these are my save-worthy ones:

Boy's Life (nice to see this one listed elsewhere on this thread): Robert McCammon
A Fine and Private Place: Peter S. Beagle
Orlando: Virginia Woolf
Speaks the Nightbird: Robert McCammon
Northanger Abby: Jane Austen

Codpiece
06-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Mmm, I don't have many super-nice editions, but I'd probably save some cheapies that are personalized to me, like The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore. Also, Angels and Visitations by Neil Gaiman.

RJK1981
06-10-2011, 03:07 AM
I think I could finally pick five.... but they have to be five boxes, albeit smaller boxes then I'd like.

How about 5 bookcases, lol?

Justin Case
06-10-2011, 05:08 PM
How about 5 bookcases, lol?

LOL... yes indeed - what if the entire library is on wheels like a huge limited edition RIF bus. It could be like RIF Deluxe

TerryE
06-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Okay, if we're talking about books in my collection that have to survive damage, and not desert island books then the list would be:

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - signed from Centipede Press (I'm sure it's my most valuable)
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett - 1st print hardcover (one of my all time favorites and a hard edition to find)
Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King - signed from Philtrum Press (it took me 25 years to get a copy & it's staying with me)
Cycle of the Werewolf - original hardcover that has personally been signed by King and is waiting to meet Bernie
Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons - original Graphitti Press hardback, mostly for sentimental reasons

God, there's too much left behind. Oh the humanity!!!

But I guess I'd rather see a tornado take them out then be around to see my wife stick everything in boxes and give it to Goodwill after I'm gone. She just doesn't get it. I think I'll have to get a glass doored bookcase and put the limited and rare books in there and tell her, "Do Not Give Away the books in that case. I know you hate the basement full of books, but those can be used to finance the kid's college."

srboone
06-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons - original Graphitti Press hardback, mostly for sentimental reasons

Very nice! I have this too; sadly, it didn't make the cut...:(

RichardThomas
06-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I'd grab any signed/limiteds first, and then just any books that you really love. The Stand is one of my favorites, I'd grab that 1st. But wife and kids first, for sure. And yes, you need to get more bookcases. I have 11 total. YIKES.

srboone
08-08-2011, 02:08 AM
<...sigh...>

I went thru this 2 1/2 months ago. Then it was tornadoes. Today a microburst of wind and rain blew thru my neighborhood.:(

Lightning struck the tree in my front yard. It broke thru into my attic, but the smaller branch poking thru my roof goes to the room where my book collections are. This pic was taken after I'd put up roof jacks so I could start chainsawing out limbs and tarping the holes. Insurance and tree removal guys are coming tomorrow.

If it's not one thing, it's another...:(

I just hope I still have a signed/limited collection to add It and The Century's Best Horror Fiction to when they finally arrive.:eek:

<...sigh...>

frik51
08-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Man, this is horrible.
I do hope things work out for the best!
Good luck!!

sk

srboone
08-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Siep. I'm working right now and my house is sitting there with a goddamn tree in it and it's raining again... and the wind is picking up....sigh...

Tito_Villa
08-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow i am sorry to see that, hope everything is ok with the books!

srboone
08-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I'll know when I get home in about half an hour....and it's all about the books, anyway.;)

srboone
08-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, no books damaged, my attic (full of costumes and props from a lot of high school plays and musicals) is a different story, tree is off the house and now it's clean up time (my yard is filled with branches and leaves). I'm off to bed...

frik51
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Glad the books at least are safe!

sk

Ben Staad
08-13-2011, 06:55 PM
<...sigh...>

I went thru this 2 1/2 months ago. Then it was tornadoes. Today a microburst of wind and rain blew thru my neighborhood.:(

Lightning struck the tree in my front yard. It broke thru into my attic, but the smaller branch poking thru my roof goes to the room where my book collections are. This pic was taken after I'd put up roof jacks so I could start chainsawing out limbs and tarping the holes. Insurance and tree removal guys are coming tomorrow.

If it's not one thing, it's another...:(

I just hope I still have a signed/limited collection to add It and The Century's Best Horror Fiction to when they finally arrive.:eek:

<...sigh...>

Damn. I somehow missed this post the last few weeks. I'm certainly glad that everything turned out okay and nothing that couldn't be replaced was damaged.

srboone
08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Hell of a week--broke my routine in reading the DT series. I was clipping along fine and then that happened halfway thru Song of Susannah, now the final stretch is going very slowly. Oh well, I'll finish eventually. Maybe on Monday I start DT7, I'm just not into it now...

hamount
08-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I would choose The Husband by Dean Koontz because that's my favorite book, as well as Iris Johansen Stalemate, and John Lutz Night to Kill