Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Following

This is TV, not a movie.

Just caught the premiere of this new FOX series. It looks pretty good. It's about a serial killer who is inspired by Edgar Alan Poe's concept of beauty in death. He is caught by an FBI agent (Kevin Bacon) who also saves his last intended victim. The 8 years the killer spent on death row have been spent creating a cult of followers online who will emulate his work. The killer escapes one week before his scheduled execution to finish his last work (victim), his "Lighthouse" (Poe's unfinished story); he then turns himself in.

It has promise. It'll be replayed on Friday at 9 EST. The it will be 14 weeks straight of new episodes.
    Last edited by srboone; 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

I definitely plan to check this out. Will probably see if it is on Hulu here soon
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

This show looks good.

Comment

Sat down to watch it on Hulu tonight and it decided to just load forever. Eventually gave up and went to read a book. I'll have to give it another try tomorrow. Happy to hear that they'll being doing a straight run of new episodes. I hate it when serialized television is broken up by numerous weeks of reruns like they did with Lost. That's why I mostly watch on Hulu or buy the DVDs.

Comment

Finally sat down and watched it. I have to say that it has promise. I wish the pilot had been a little bit longer to give more breathing room. Though I enjoyed the breakneck pace, I felt that the character development was lacking. Everyone was drawn in broad strokes (the alcoholic ex-cop, etc). That being said, I'll be tuning in next week to see what happens. At the very least, its an original serialized show on network television that didn't skimp on the horror elements.

Comment

Good to hear. I still need to check this out on soon
            Spoiler!

Comment

I checked this out. It was fantastic! Enjoyed every Minute of it.

Comment

Okay. Just finished the second episode and am pretty muched hooked. I'm curious to see how everything's going to play out over the course of the season without jumping the shark, but I'm definitely on board.

Comment

On a side topic, all the Edgar Allan Poe talk on the show has reminded me that I need to start tracking down Centipede's Masters of the Weird Tale series. Poe's volume would be lower on the list for me, but I've been eyeing the Algernon Blackwood and Karl Edward Wagner for while. If only they weren't so expensive and CD didn't keep coming up with other goodies for me to buy!

Comment

I need to brush up on my Poe. I was able to recognize the "Lord, have mercy on my poor soul," reference in the first episode and the names of the women in Poe's works/life, but eventually, I'm sure they'll start refencing some more obscure (to me after 20+ years) stuff.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I watched the first episode late Saturday night on Hulu and definitely enjoyed this show. This is what I said to my mom in answer to her question of what I thought of it:

Not perfect, but could have definitely been worse. Hopefully the characters get a little more defined in future episodes. They should have had a 2 hour premiere for this considering how much was going on. So far the characters are not very well defined. Bacon's character (alcoholic former cop) is pretty generic so far, and I think that the serial killer needs to be defined more as well.

Hopefully episodes 2 and up will develop the character more, which would help to keep my interest.
                      Spoiler!

Comment

I just LOVE this show so far.

Comment

Is anyone else finding this a little tedious? It's the same thing every week: Something happens, Ryan seems to be the only one who can work well without a computer so he manages to get to the scene in time to shoot some extras before the main baddies get away. I'll finish watching it, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere....
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            Is anyone else finding this a little tedious? It's the same thing every week: Something happens, Ryan seems to be the only one who can work well without a computer so he manages to get to the scene in time to shoot some extras before the main baddies get away. I'll finish watching it, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere....
                            My coworker recommended this to me and I made it through a few episodes then stopped. It seemed promising at first but I guess I felt the same way when I stopped watching it, never seemed to get anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              It's beginning to get that way. The other problem I have is the completely inept work by the FBI and SWAT team and local cops and prison officials. It smacks of lazy writing to me. "We've got them in this space. How do we get them out? Well if we make the cops do something that cops would never do, that'll work!"
                              http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
                              http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
                              http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X