PDA

View Full Version : When did CD drag you in to the Dark???!!!

RJK1981
05-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I can't say it was my idea exactly for this new thread (Brad mentioned making this a thread, including the great title for the thread), but it did stem from my wondering about how many people discovered CD through the Blockade Billy release, which I don't ever expect numbers for.

So instead of getting numbers I'll just ask. How did you discover CD?

For me it was definitely Blockade Billy and haven't looked back since, have loved the production values of ever CD title I've gotten my hands on so far

bsaenz24
05-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I found CD around 2000 and became a devoted follower after their 2002 edition of From a Buick 8. I've been a fan of both the books and the company ever since. Some of the greatest people to deal with bar none!!!

RJK1981
05-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I wish I'd know about CD when that title was announced (Unless it was when I didn't have money for the book anyway), looks absolutely great from all the pictures I've seen of it. Definitely great people to deal with as well, which is important

jmcraven
05-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Blockade Billy for me.

Martin
05-24-2011, 05:42 PM
I discovered Cemetery Dance in 1998. I purchased I trade copy of an anthology featuring Stephen King called 999, I believe I bought this at Borders. I read this book and loved every story. The copyright page mentioned that it had been released as a limited edition from Cemetery Dance Publications. I googled them and found that 999 could be had for $125.00 but it did not contain King's signature. I passed on that purchase, a fact I regret to this day, but I noticed they had a book called Legacies available for $200.00 that contained King's Signature. I decided to order that and figured it would be a one time purchase of a limited edition. Timing on the next step for me is vague but at some point they announced a delay of Legacies and offered an in-stock limited edition valued at $40.00 free to make up for the delay. I chose The Poker Club by Ed Gorman. That book launched me into the world of limited editions, the story was incredible and I could not believe the difference in quality between that book and the hardbound editions I was used to buying at Costco and Borders. I now have over 100 limited editions including 10 King Signed Limiteds, by Cemetery Dance and many other small press companies.

srboone
05-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Blockade Billy got me involved. Three grab bags later, I was hooked. My first big purchase was The Exorcist/Legion. But when I bought The Century's Best Horror Fiction, I knew I was lost in the darkness.

frik51
05-24-2011, 06:14 PM
From a Buick 8 for me.
The first time I spent a fortune on a lettered edition.

sk

cdfan
05-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Jack Ketchum's Weed Species brought me here and I saw all the great things I'd been missing out on.

Blu Gilliand
05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
I think From A Buick 8 was the first CD book I bought, but I honestly don't remember for sure. Suffice to say that many have come along since that first one, whatever it was.

Tree705
05-24-2011, 10:41 PM
I really don't know for sure maybe one of the boys can look it up if they keep such records. I do know that Mark Ziesings limited edition of Insomnia is what started be collecting past just the hard cover King books. I had the Grant trade editions of DT2 and DT3 but had never really seen high end production books. After that I starting getting everything Ziesing published and his in stock back catalog. I set up a book of the month club of sorts with him so I could buy them in an affordable manner. There are still a few of his books I don't have. Shocklines and CD come after that but exactly when I'm not sure. I do recall Rich offering a lifetime subscription to CD that my wife made me turn down. About a year or so after that CD's publication rate took off and the lifers got there money back in short order. I remember that because I have used that ever since as leverage to talk the wife into supporting my wish to buy life time subscriptions.

It was before you could order online, because I hated not calling Mindy with my order when the whole online thing started, I miss talking to her.

Wow that was a lot for me and I didn't even really answer the question.

Dan or Brian really if you can look up my first direct purchase and post it here that would be awesome.

Dan Hocker
05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Dan or Brian really if you can look up my first direct purchase and post it here that would be awesome.

That's a tough one Rich, especially if you've been ordering from us for that long. I know we only have hand written records of a lot of the orders from the really early days. I think Brian might have a chronological list of the books we've published though, you might be able to find out easiest off of that. I will however look and find out what the oldest book you have order that's in our current order management software is.

Antmusic
05-25-2011, 03:57 AM
I first heard about CD when parousing eBay and ran across Secretary of Dreams Vol 1 and thought it was dang cool... And dang expensive. Then I went to the website and got on the mailing list... My first purchase was one of CD's excellent Grab Bags... It arrived the day before my honeymoon and the books came with us to our destination; a cabin in the woods. They hooked me, and I love 'em!

Tree705
05-25-2011, 04:36 PM
That's a tough one Rich, especially if you've been ordering from us for that long. I know we only have hand written records of a lot of the orders from the really early days. I think Brian might have a chronological list of the books we've published though, you might be able to find out easiest off of that. I will however look and find out what the oldest book you have order that's in our current order management software is.

I looked on line for a chronological list but couldn't find one, that could help and would be nice to have on the CD website. Thanks!

keithminnion
05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
In 1993 Darrell Schweitzer suggested I send some things to Rich Chizmar for his magazine. Rich resonded by sending me three stories to illustrate for Issue #19 (I think), one by Bentley Little (The Washingtonians) who I had never even heard of at the time. Eighteen years later, my last illustration work with CD is doing about a hundred remarques for the "Exorcist/Legion" book. So far I have completed 24. Except for the Clegg and Burke story collections, which I purchased, nearly my entire CD collection is made up of PC copies for work I have in them.

Brian James Freeman
05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I looked on line for a chronological list but couldn't find one, that could help and would be nice to have on the CD website. Thanks!

Let me work on updating the list and I'll find a good way to post it! :)

Dan Hocker
05-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Sorry Rich, couldn't really find what the earliest title you ordered through us was. I can tell you Elsewhere is one of the earliest through the new order management system though.

Richard Chizmar
05-25-2011, 08:39 PM
FYI...this is currently my favorite thread on the board!

RJK1981
05-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Eighteen years later, my last illustration work with CD is doing about a hundred remarques for the "Exorcist/Legion" book.

Wish I'd had the money for that one. The work inside that book is great though, so great job! Haven't read the CD version, but I did go through and look at the artwork.

srboone
05-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Great work in The Exorcist/Legion, Keith.

And I loved, loved, loved Island Funeral!:D

keithminnion
05-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Thank you very much. Drawing the carp was fun.

portrait in flesh
05-25-2011, 11:53 PM
The voices in my head directed me here. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Ben Staad
05-26-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry to say I'm a late comer to CD. I only got on board with the release of Blockade Billy. The good news is I don't plan to go anywhere else for a long long time.

danny
05-26-2011, 01:12 AM
In 1994 was reading The Stephen King Story by George Beahm. The book mentioned Cemetery Dance Magazine a couple times( think was about Chatter Teeth). End up finding CD info in the books Index. Wrote Rich about a mag subscription. He hooked me up with the old hard copy newsletter. ( still have all the old fliers) In 1995 received my first Issue #22. In 1996 bought my first limited (of any kind) Rick Hautala The Mountain King. The rest is History!!!

RJK1981
05-26-2011, 02:00 AM
And I loved, loved, loved Island Funeral!:D

Have to completely agree with you. First chapbook I have purchased or read and was very happy with it.

aihutch
05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I did not know about CD until this April when I stumbled on to The Secretary of Dreams, Vol. 2. Since then I have been playing catch up, ordering titles directly from CD and other sites. My first purchase directly from CD was the Stephen King grab bag. I already know I will be a lifelong fan and I signed up for Twitter just to follow CD!

EricTheRed
05-27-2011, 03:26 PM
I was dragged into the darkness sometime in the Fall of 2007. Read Al Sarrantonio's Hallows Eve for my Halloween read that year and was looking for more of his work. Ran across a copy on Orangefield on ebay and was instantly hooked. Have proceeded to fill several shelves with CD books in the time since!

thelion
05-27-2011, 04:14 PM
I found CD in June of 2009 when I was looking up a list of published Stephen King books and saw SOD on the list. I found the CD site and they still had some copies of the Gift Edition available at the time, so I ordered SOD Vol.1 and pre-ordered Vol. 2. A few grab bags, collector's clubs, book clubs, and purchases later, I have filled a few shelves with CD material...and I'm looking forward to continuing to fill up more shelves in the years to come!

drain74
05-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Like a number of responses my first purchase from CD was Stephen King's "From A Buick 8", since then all the King books from CD and most about his work.
A few of the Grab bags and a "Book Club" subscription is a great way to get some great books and to experience other author's works.

AY_gunslinger
05-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Collected Stephen King and needed a reference guide to his books.
Found CD Publications and "George Beahm, Stephen King Collectibles: An Illustrated Price Guide" online on May 22, 2003.
Purchased the book and subscribed to their e-mail lists.
Then came the limited edition books, LT chapbook, LT Signature Series, Grab Bags, Magazines, LT Lonely Road Books, lettered edition books, and ...

:eek:

I have been in the Dark since. ~AY

Can't find my way out! :o

darkdiscoveries
05-29-2011, 09:19 PM
In 1994 was reading The Stephen King Story by George Beahm. The book mentioned Cemetery Dance Magazine a couple times( think was about Chatter Teeth). End up finding CD info in the books Index. Wrote Rich about a mag subscription. He hooked me up with the old hard copy newsletter. ( still have all the old fliers) In 1995 received my first Issue #22. In 1996 bought my first limited (of any kind) Rick Hautala The Mountain King. The rest is History!!!

Count me among one of the old timers like Danny here. I think I had first heard of CD from an article in TZ magazine back in the late 1980's/early 1990's and by the time I got married in 1993, was full on into collecting Stephen King. I got Stephen Spignisi's big Complete SK book (don't drop it on your foot - LOL!) as a present and was picking up even more of the magazines, etc. that King was in. (I also collected and liked a lot of other authors as well, but King, Koontz, Barker, Straub, Ramsey Campbell, Dennis Etchison and Charles Grant were my favorites and the ones I was trying to do the completeist thing on).

When issue #14 of CD hit the stands, I found a copy in a local bookstore and was hooked. Grabbed up whatever back and current issues I could find after that. Collected every one except #1 eventually (always eluded me for less than $50 and just can't see paying over that for a mag), but someone was nice enough to make me a photo copy a few years back. Then as I got into collecting more signed/limited HC's I would buy them from Overlook, Wrigley-Cross, etc. and eventually online when the internet took off. Subscribed finally back around 1999/2000 and have been one ever since. I've bought, sold and traded countless CD books and magazines over the years now as well (and sell a few new and used titles for publisher friends like CD, Bad Moon, Overlook, Thunderstorm, Tasmaniac, NEP, etc. on the DD website too).

Cemetery Dance was (along with The Horror Show and Deathrealm) the main influence on my own magazine Dark Discoveries in the formative stages. We've went a bit more towards a modern Twilight Zone sort of magazine in the past couple of years since we went color and started doing themed issues, but CD will always have a fond spot in my heart.

- James
http://darkdiscoveries.com

pixie
05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
I started with CD when I wanted more information on book collecting and I googled "Steephen King book Collecting" one of the sites that came up was Cemetery Dance. I think this was in 2003. I went to their site and I saw books about Stephen King. I saw "The Stephen King Universe" I also saw "From a Buick 8' I think my first CD purchase was Secretary of Dreams II. Since then I have bought almost every book about Stephen King or by Stephen King that CD has to offer.

RonClinton
05-31-2011, 02:44 PM
I bought their very first magazine (yes, I have #1, and #2, and all the rest) and their very first HC, SLIPPIN' INTO DARKNESS...so I guess you could say I've been with 'em since the very beginning.

RonClinton
05-31-2011, 08:18 PM
'Course, I was "in the dark" long before CD came on the scene. Late '70s horror (King, et al), Dark Harvest press, and so on...these were all sources I drew from prior to CD. Having said that, things sure got better once CD appeared...

the_last_gunslinger
05-31-2011, 11:51 PM
I first discovered Cemetery Dance back in 2007. I had just started getting serious about writing and I was curious about what markets existed for horror. I did a basic Google search and Cemetery Dance was one of the hits.

I didn't actually buy anything until Blockade Billy, though. I kept meaning to, but was never able to force myself to spend money on authors I wasn't familiar with at the time.

Rorschach
06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
My first CD purchase was way back in 1997. I bought the signed/limited edition of Revelations. I still have it and I have over 25 more Cemetery Dance publications as well. I also have at least 5 on order and one (Tim Lebbon's latest) that just shipped to me today! :)

TerryE
06-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I think my first Cemetery Dance purchase was also "From a Buick 8". After I missed the boat on the Philtrum Press edition of "Six Stories" (which I still kick myself for) I determined I'd try to get any King signed or rarity that I could afford, and Cemetery Dance has been one of the best sources of books and information about other companies. I also started my subscription to the magazine at that time. I guess I could be considered a regular and loyal customer. Back in 2006 I attended the Borderlands Press writer's workshop and Kelly Laymon was there the first night. At that time she was working with Cemetery Dance. She recognized my name immediately and even knew where my P.O. box was. That kind of personal attention really astounded me, and made me think CD wasn't nearly as big as I thought they were.

hamount
06-15-2011, 01:39 PM
My brother told me about CD, his fault I'm here.

larryki
06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi, it's nice to see all the newbies and not so newbies. I think I win the prize as I started back in Dec 88 (Hi Rich). I saw an ad in some magazine (I assume) for a LT membership to a new magazine called Cemetery Dance. I was big into King, Koontz and ,McCammon, so I said I'll take a chance...hmmmm...guess I'm glad I did!
I've always wanted to visit CD and meet the crew, but I live on the west coast and have never been back east. Some year..I know my wife wants to go to NY.

hamount
06-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi, it's nice to see all the newbies and not so newbies. I think I win the prize as I started back in Dec 88 (Hi Rich). I saw an ad in some magazine (I assume) for a LT membership to a new magazine called Cemetery Dance. I was big into King, Koontz and ,McCammon, so I said I'll take a chance...hmmmm...guess I'm glad I did!
I've always wanted to visit CD and meet the crew, but I live on the west coast and have never been back east. Some year..I know my wife wants to go to NY.
Big Koontz fan!

peteOcha
06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I was "floating" around CD close to the time they released Secretary of Dreams Volume I. But my first purchase came quite some time later: Blockade Billy.

hamount
06-15-2011, 08:47 PM
My brother got me a copy of Johnny Halloween, signed. Still his fault you have to put up with me.

Beambounder
06-15-2011, 09:18 PM
I discovered Cemetery dance,when The Dark tower Comics "The Gunslinger Born" collected was released at Night at NYC'sForbidden Planet, Back in March 2008. I saw a copy of the book Signed in Silver Marker- By Stephen king From the opening night. I bought it- immediately- flat sighed in Silver Marker by King Right below The Comic hardcover Illustration of "the Gunslinger". One of the Workers at Forbidden Planet Was Furious because he was saving up for it ;and trying not to draw attention to it.After he saw me pay my $110.00 for it he exclaimed," You got that book, with the King Signature,-but you know what I have Signed- I have "The Secretary of Dreams -then Volume 1 ". I had no idea about CD at that time.Then I hunted Cemetery Dance down while doing Business with Donald M.Grant over the phone/ a worker gave me the Scoop that the book which the NYC Forbidden Planet Guy was talking about was published by Cemetery Dance- I've been buying ever since although I own only 3 Signed Stephen king Items. IT is GOLDMINE to a disabled Fine Art Teacher like me. The Scribner Signed Under The Dome Deluxe with cards,with a Coffin case from CD. The Front Signed Comic That Betts Books told me is "VERY RARE". I also OWN a signed Edition Trade Hardcover of Under The Dome That My Lady Lucked out in the Draw , Hers was a winner or one of The Two tickets that I paid $500.00 for at Very Fine Books for Late Times Talks Opening Night of UTD. . It is PRIZED because I have The TIMES TALKS PROGRAM ,OUR TICKETS. and the SIGNED BOOK signed that night. Mostly because I was able to have front row seats and talk about the multiverse with Sai King a few feet away. It was on the bucket list to chat for a little while with Mr. Stephen King. Boooh Yah! I will never forget how kind,enthusiastic,and a true great listener he is. Not only a Great Talent-but, A Really NICE GUY,Someone I'd enjoy having a nice Cheeseburger and a beer with. Beambounder AKA E. Freemantle

frik51
06-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Great story!
Thanks for sharing, Beambounder!

sk

TerryE
06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Speaking of the Under the Dome signing tour, I must share my story about that. I don't know if any of you remember King did a signing at a Wal-Mart in Maryland. That was actually the town where I grew up. The Wal-Mart is on a property that was once the local theater, and was where my cousin and I went to see Cujo when it came out. I showed up at the store early in the morning to get my ticket and copy of the book (my 4th copy at that point since I'd ordered from amazon and had the limited and signed limited from the publisher). The deal was you got the book and ticket, then had to come back to the store and stand in line again for the talk and the signing. So this signing event bookmarked my work day. While Steve was giving his opening remarks, he gave a shout out to his friend Rich Chizmar. He looked somewhere behind the crowd as he said it, but there was no way I was going to miss the signing, even to meet the esteemed publisher. When Blockade Billy was announced, the timing seemed awfully right for that deal, or part of it, to have been hammered out while King was in town for that signing. (Hey Dan or Brian, any chance I'm right about that???)

ozmosis7
06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
IS there a place to find out where he is signing? I read somewhere that he doesn't openly promote the tour as it causes too big of a crowd.

TerryE
06-16-2011, 04:08 PM
That tour was announced. I first found out through a Lilja's Library e-mail, then confirmed on King's website.

ozmosis7
06-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Dang. I'll have to keep my eyes open for him to be near the Philly area.

TerryE
06-16-2011, 04:52 PM
That "Under the Dome" tour was the first one he'd done in a decade or more. It seems lately there are only special events that bring him out for any kind of signing. And you're right, he does need to come back to the mid-Atlantic area. The things I've seen lately have been near one of the two homes in Florida or New England. I've seen him twice now, so I do consider myself pretty lucky compared to most fans. The other event was the Folger Library event with the 3 Kings (Steve, Tabby and Owen). That was fairly convenient since it was in DC and I'm in Maryland. But there were quite a few people who'd come a long way and were making vacations of it. I heard one guy say he'd come from Colorado, and he ran a Dark Tower website. The guy next to us in line for the signing had driven down from Pittsburgh and was planning on going right back that night.

Randy D. Rubin
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
King will be at George Mason University to receive some kind of award in September. Check his website for more details.

Beambounder
06-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Hey frik51, I am,as you know- always happy to raconteur,it is in my blood. eccentric Story and tale spinner from experiences, sharing……-I was paid for it for a while when I taught art studio,art history, health,horticulture,conflict resolution, and yearbook et al. I left at the right time-got on out out before i lost my artistic drive or throttled a Alternative High School Student Man -Child Gang Member over not wearing Do-Rag bandannas in class. All the best thanks .Frik51. like your additions as well ,your collection sounds admirable.

frik51
06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
THANKS!

sk