PDA

View Full Version : Planned reads for 2013

srboone
12-23-2012, 01:14 PM
There's gonna be a lot coming out next year, but it's about this time that I think about the stuff that's been on my TBRlist for a long time. 2011 was highlighted by my finally getting through War & Peace--which was very enjoyable for the 2 months I was reading it. 2012 was dedicated to finishing the last 4 King novels I had yet to read. 2013 is the year that I tackle another monster from my TBR: Don Quixote. That will probably also be a 2-month endeavor, so I'll leave it at that for planned reads. But I would also like to fit in a reread of King's short story anthologies.

Martin
12-23-2012, 04:00 PM
For 2013 I am most looking forward to NOS4A2. I am also looking forward to Joyland. I still have not tackled The Wind Through the Keyhole so I would like to get that one read.

Sock Monkey
12-24-2012, 04:46 AM
The Terror and Drood by Simmons have been waiting impatiently to be read, so I must get to those. My TBR has gotten out of control! 20+ books waiting to be read and that's not counting everything on preorder from CD. I've made a resolution to start getting caught up next year. Bring on 2013!

RJK1981
12-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Well, I don't know what exactly I plan to read in 2013, and my TBR pile is immense, so what I am going to do for now is list off several books I really want to get to. I will avoid books of short stories, anything by Stephen King (Several TBR titles by him), and will also avoid listing any books that aren't out yet or those I do not have right now, even if I have it on order right now. I have several on order that I am really wanting to read soon as well. I think I will also avoid listing any ARCs I have won from LibraryThing and Goodreads. Those I definitely plan to read so I give a fair and honest review/rating. The stuff in this list are books I wanna read on top of those (5 total so far, including a LT title I won a couple months ago)

Neverland - Douglas Clegg (This was one I planned to read in 2012 but never got around to it)
Breeder - Douglas Clegg
The Abandoned - Douglas Clegg
Afterlife - Douglas Clegg
The Children's Hour - Douglas Clegg
Six Days - Kelli Owen
Vampyrrhic - Simon Clark
Vampyrrhic Rites - Simon Clark
The Buffalo Hunter - Peter Straub
Lullaby for the Rain Girl - Christopher Conlon
Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn - Kealan Patrick Burke
Master of the Moors - Kealan Patrick Burke
Thirty Miles South of Dry County - Kealan Patrick Burke
Sunborn - Jeffery A. Carver (Possible will wanna either continue waiting or reread the first 3 books in the series before tackling this one)
Midnight Solitaire - Greg Gifune (Another I planned on reading in 2012 but didn't get to)
Dominion - Greg Gifune
Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill
Sims - F Paul Wilson
The Innswitch Horror - Edward Lee
The Crossings - Jack Ketchum
Ghoul - Brian Keene
LeHorn's Hollow - Brian Keene
Castaways - Brian Keene
Dead Sea - Brian Keene
The Rising - Brian Keene
The Templar Salvation - Raymond Khoury
The Wildman - Rick Hautala
Down - Nate Southard
The Dropper - Ron McLarty
Hell House - Richard Matheson
Baal - Robert McCammon
The Colour out of Darkness - John Pelan
Killing Ghost - Christopher Ransom
Dexter By Design - Jeff Lindsay

And more even. Those also do not include any of the books that I have in the bedroom, just what is out here in the living room with me. Have a lot of books on the bookcases in the bedroom I still need to read as well, but my wife is sleeping and likely would not be happy if I woke her up trying to get a list of books, lol. I also did not include any books I have already read, so if I decide to reread anything, that would bump something else to 2014 most likely.

Looking at the list of books I have on preorder more than one of them will be read in 2013. I already know I won't have time to finish all those, espectially since some are definitely longer books. Maybe if I wasn't married I would be able to finish them all, but I doubt it since I have so many things on order and will be ordering more as money allows.

peteOcha
12-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Nice list!!

So here's mine: (subject to change, not final, certain terms and conditions may apply)

Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King
Embassytown - China Mieville
20th Century Ghosts - Joe Hill
Dance With Dragons - George RR Martin
Shivers VII

A bit short, but that was all I could come up with off the top of my head. I'll add more later when I browse through the TBR pile.

TJCams
12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
I'd like to get at most of my TBR pile, which is increasing rapidly. :)

Off the top of my head, I certainly want to read ( in no particular order ):

Nightmares & Dreamscapes - King
Salem's Lot - King

I have several other King books to do as well, but want to get to those 2 for sure!

Looking forward to getting my first Shivers, once it is all done up and ready to ship in the new year

I have several Koontz books to get at, but those will probably get pushed back by other books

3 for sure reads I do plan on tackling early in the new year (if not get started before. ;) ) is Killing Ghost, The Interrogator (short story collection), and The Bourne Identity.

Others that I want to get my hands on are the un-edited version of Off Season, by Ketchum... Ghost Story-Straub, and I also want to try a couple Dan Simmons books, namely Hyperion and Song of Kali.

Mind you, now that I have a Kobo e-reader, I hope to start accumulating some good e-books. Hopefully my friends at CD will have some more e-books in the pipeline (or e-book clubs?) for 2013.

peteOcha
12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm reading The Interrogator now and I have to say it is a great collection! Some great stories in there!

TJCams
12-28-2012, 08:17 PM
On top of that, I am sure there will be lots of offerings from CD for 2013 as well. I've only been here since October, and as a result, my collection of reads has increased. So.....bring on 2013!!!!!

srboone
12-28-2012, 08:23 PM
On top of that, I am sure there will be lots of offerings from CD for 2013 as well.

That's why I'm only putting one my Will Be Read list for 2013. I was debating between DQ and Les Mis, but DQ's been on my TBR longer.

Last year at this time, I got overly zealous and put about 15 books on WBR list for 2012. Never got around to the last eight (They would hve been rereads anyway).

Teriw
12-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Nice list!!

So here's mine: (subject to change, not final, certain terms and conditions may apply)

Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King
Embassytown - China Mieville
20th Century Ghosts - Joe Hill
Dance With Dragons - George RR Martin
Shivers VII

A bit short, but that was all I could come up with off the top of my head. I'll add more later when I browse through the TBR pile.

I hope that's your order cuz I'm just finishing Full Dark, No Stars and I LOVE it. Except Fair Extension, That was boring. Was totally engrossed with 1922, Big Driver(My Favorite) and A good Marriage...all EXCELLENT stories.

Martin
12-29-2012, 02:08 AM
I agree with your assessment of Full Dark. Fair Extension was decent but not great, the others are all great stories.
I hope that's your order cuz I'm just finishing Full Dark, No Stars and I LOVE it. Except Fair Extension, That was boring. Was totally engrossed with 1922, Big Driver(My Favorite) and A good Marriage...all EXCELLENT stories.

RJK1981
12-29-2012, 02:48 AM
I agree about Full Dark, No Stars. Fair Extension was definitely the weak story of the bunch. I found that story to be just ok. Loved all of the others though

RJK1981
12-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Ok, here are some of the books I kept off my initial 2013 list. This list will start with the giveaway wins from LibraryThing and Goodreads. I will stll not list any of the big short story collections

The Devil of Echo Lake - Douglas Wynne (LibraryThing)
Lilith - Toby Tate (Goodreads)
Last Days - Adam Nevill (Goodreads)
Midwinter Blood - Marcus Sedgwick (Goodreads)
Exit Reality: A Ray Garret/Lifeline Techno Thriller - Robert S. Wilson (Goodreads)

Ordered books that will instantly be on my TBR for 2013

The Twelve - Justin Cronin
Pure - Julianna Baggot
The Exorcist: 40th Anniv. edition- William Peter Blatty
Vacation - Matthew Costello
I'm Not Sam - Jack Ketchum & Lucky McKee
Tyler's Third Act - Mick Garris
Homestead - James A. Moore
Dereliction - Ray Garton
Scavenger Hunt - John R. Little & Fatima Monteiro
Floating Dragon: 30th Anniv. - Peter Straub
Relic - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
The Circle - Bentley Little
October Shadows - Norman Partridge (If it actually is released in 2013, of course)
The Vampyricon Trilogy - Douglas Clegg (Hoping it is released in 2013)

jester05jk
12-30-2012, 02:09 AM
I think I'm just going to do a simple list, and go with 2 random books by the following since I'm a bit behind.

Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Richard Laymon
Ray Garton
Robert Jordan (haven't read the last 2 wheel of times yet)
Brian Lumley

bookworm 1
12-30-2012, 10:45 PM
I plan on rereading 4 past midnight and Strangers this coming year.

As for new reads
Bullettime
Swallowing a Donkeys Eye
Speaks the Nightbird
The Bighead
Red Sky
Only Child this was on my list last year and I did not get to it.
I also have a plan for the year to read 1 Brian Keene book a month.This should catch me up on all his stuff including new releases.
This past year I read 168 books. My goal for 2013 is 140.I plan on reading some of the longer books I have not got to during 2013.

rusty23
12-31-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm a slow reader. I read 36 books this year. But, when you have a 1 year old, that takes away reading time.
A few of the list for 2013 are: Any new SK, NOS4A2, Mister Slaughter, The Providence Rider, The Twelve, and book 3 of GRRM Song of Ice and Fire ( hopefully book 4 too ).

peteOcha
12-31-2012, 07:00 PM
I plan on rereading 4 past midnight and Strangers this coming year.

As for new reads
Bullettime
Swallowing a Donkeys Eye
Speaks the Nightbird
The Bighead
Red Sky
Only Child this was on my list last year and I did not get to it.
I also have a plan for the year to read 1 Brian Keene book a month.This should catch me up on all his stuff including new releases.
This past year I read 168 books. My goal for 2013 is 140.I plan on reading some of the longer books I have not got to during 2013.

Wow, 168!! Nice! I wish I had that much time to read. I'll keep track this year and see how many I read, should be interesting.

peteOcha
12-31-2012, 07:10 PM
so I stumbled upon the 2012 reading goals thread and decided to look up my post to see how I did:

"1st time reads:
Swan Song
The Woman
The Five
The Bachman Books (4)
Something by Koontz other than Velocity"

So out of all those I only read The Woman and The Five. Guess I know what else to add to my list for 2013.

RJK1981
01-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Wow, 168!! Nice! I wish I had that much time to read. I'll keep track this year and see how many I read, should be interesting.

If you use Goodreads you can keep track easily and set a goal for the year if you want to

peteOcha
01-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. Will have to try it out!

RJK1981
01-01-2013, 08:06 PM
No problem. It also offer recommendations on books you list as read, books you list as wanting to read, and I think it also has them based on your ratings for individual books. It also has a section for book giveaways to win review copies of titles, some signed, though most are not signed.

bookworm 1
01-01-2013, 11:11 PM
I use good reads also to keep track.I really like the site.

TJCams
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I think I will keep track of how many books I read too. Might use GoodReads, but I think I have my goodreads set up via Facebook???? Which I don't use, but my wife does.

Either way....I am curious to see how many I can knock off. My reading time is very limited with basically getting about 20-30 mins on my lunch break, sometimes some at night before bed, and my weekends are full with coaching my daughter's hockey team every Saturday/Sunday. Plus, need to fit in family time with my wife working afternoon shift.

srboone
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I started a goodreads account tonight, so I'll keep track this year. I set my goal at 100. 2 down, 98 to go!

Sabrina Morgan
01-03-2013, 06:08 PM
so I stumbled upon the 2012 reading goals thread and decided to look up my post to see how I did:

"1st time reads:
Swan Song
The Woman
The Five
The Bachman Books (4)
Something by Koontz other than Velocity"

So out of all those I only read The Woman and The Five. Guess I know what else to add to my list for 2013.
I loved this book....

TJCams
01-03-2013, 07:41 PM
I think another book I really want to get my hands, and it would go to the front my TBR list is the uncut version of Off Season by Jack Ketchum. I am not sure if the 1981 First Edition paperbacks I've seen on AbeBooks would be that one or not.

peteOcha
01-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I loved this book....

I've heard so many good things about it. One of these days I'll be sure to hunt down a copy of it somewhere.

bookworm 1
01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
I think that is the chopped up version. Pun intended.I believe the pb that leisure put out was the uncut version. I just went and looked through my Ketchum pb's and the Leisure one is the uncut version.Says so on the cover.You might find it at hlf price books.It also has a bonus short story not related to the book.
I think another book I really want to get my hands, and it would go to the front my TBR list is the uncut version of Off Season by Jack Ketchum. I am not sure if the 1981 First Edition paperbacks I've seen on AbeBooks would be that one or not.

bookworm 1
01-03-2013, 11:32 PM
I've heard so many good things about it. One of these days I'll be sure to hunt down a copy of it somewhere.

First book I read of 2012.Great book hard to put down.

TJCams
01-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Any chance you can shoot me the isbn on the uncut one? Might be easier to find that way.

I think that is the chopped up version. Pun intended.I believe the pb that leisure put out was the uncut version. I just went and looked through my Ketchum pb's and the Leisure one is the uncut version.Says so on the cover.You might find it at hlf price books.It also has a bonus short story not related to the book.

Joe315
01-04-2013, 12:39 AM
These are the books on my TBR pile. Whether I get to them or not this year, I have no idea. The earliest book I have on there is one I bought in July I think so I am about 6ish months behind.

(This program is called Delicious Library and is Mac only, incase anyone was wondering).

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/rodman109110/ScreenShot2013-01-03atJanuary363235PM_zpsaae0ace5.png

srboone
01-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Neat program! At least one of those is on mt TBR list (in, fact it's next--didn't hear about it til yesterday; it was in it's sixth printing bythen.))

Joe315
01-04-2013, 01:38 AM
Which book if you don't mind my asking?

srboone
01-04-2013, 01:40 AM
The Dog Stars.

TJCams
01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Sweet! I really want to get my hands on Wool. Heard nothing but good reviews on it.

jester05jk
01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Any chance you can shoot me the isbn on the uncut one? Might be easier to find that way.

Overlook connection put out the full version too.

http://overlookconnection.com/catalog/season-unexpurgated-signed-p-2112.html

And the leisure version too...

http://overlookconnection.com/catalog/off-season-pb-p-2090.html

TJCams
01-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Overlook connection put out the full version too.

http://overlookconnection.com/catalog/season-unexpurgated-signed-p-2112.html

And the leisure version too...

http://overlookconnection.com/catalog/off-season-pb-p-2090.html

Cool - Thanks! I might have to grab one.

Edit - Done! Ordered!

peteOcha
01-04-2013, 07:16 PM
These are the books on my TBR pile. Whether I get to them or not this year, I have no idea. The earliest book I have on there is one I bought in July I think so I am about 6ish months behind.

(This program is called Delicious Library and is Mac only, incase anyone was wondering).

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/rodman109110/ScreenShot2013-01-03atJanuary363235PM_zpsaae0ace5.png

Wow, that is just soooo hot looking! :)

So is it like something to keep track of your books and reads?

srboone
01-04-2013, 07:35 PM
This program is called Delicious Library.

Quite tasty, too! ;)

Joe315
01-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Wow, that is just soooo hot looking! :)

So is it like something to keep track of your books and reads?

It is a cataloging program that handles books, movies, cds, games, etc. You can make custom shelves for whatever you want. I have an unread books shelf so I can see what I have yet to read. I also have a shelf for signed/rare books. It's a great little program.

srboone
01-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I've decided to make Bentley Little the author that I will concentrate on this year. Don't know which books of his I'll read or when, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to read more of his stuff. A trip to the 3 half-price books in KC is in order soon.

peteOcha
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, gotta check if I can get that program on my Ipad, would be great!

peteOcha
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
I've decided to make Bentley Little the author that I will concentrate on this year. Don't know which books of his I'll read or when, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to read more of his stuff. A trip to the 3 half-price books in KC is in order soon.

If you don't have it yet (but I'm guessing you do), The Mailman is still up for order on CD's site. And SUB press published a collection of his stories not too long ago which is still available as well.

RJK1981
01-07-2013, 12:08 AM

One of my concentrations for reading this year is to read stuff from more authors who are new to me. I want to read books from at least 3-4 authors I have never read a book by, and if I read most or even half of the stuff on my TBR list for the year I should have no problem doing that since there are more than 10

TJCams
01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I am like RJK. I want to try new authors, especially ones that for me, I have never really heard of - I think that's what I want to say. I have a decent Koontz and King collection of paperbacks I want to get at, but I also want to broaden my horizons, I guess, and jump into possibly a Bentley Little (never read anything other than in the one CD mag), or others that are new to me at least.

Martin
01-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Bentley Little, Kealan Patrick Burke, Richard Laymon. There many to read!
I am like RJK. I want to try new authors, especially ones that for me, I have never really heard of - I think that's what I want to say. I have a decent Koontz and King collection of paperbacks I want to get at, but I also want to broaden my horizons, I guess, and jump into possibly a Bentley Little (never read anything other than in the one CD mag), or others that are new to me at least.

TJCams
01-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Read Turtle Boy as my first e-book on my Kobo I got for Xmas. Definitely want to get a Laymon book this year too. And Dan Simmons.

RJK1981
01-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Bentley Little, Kealan Patrick Burke, Richard Laymon. There many to read!

All are very good authors I'm sure you will like