Horror/Fantasy conventions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horror/Fantasy conventions???

Since finding Cemetery Dance (Thanks CD!!!! ) I have had my curiosity re-sparked in the whole horror/sci-fic type genre in general, especially in terms of novels/short stories. Although I love a good horror flic as well. Have any of my fellow CD members/readers attended any horror conventions? I have been very curious about conventions such as the big Comic-Con in San Diego, and in fact there is quite a large one in Toronto every year (FanExpo Canada). Seems these are more comic book type related - correct me if I'm wrong. Any recommendations anyone can give me? I am in Windsor, Ontario, and Toronto is only a 4hr drive, so I would probably consider attending that one in the future. Are there any others you all could recommend that would be worth attending? Obviously a place like San Diego is not do-able for me. Are there any conventions like this in the Detroit area even, or another in Toronto area that would be along the lines of something like this? It also helps I supposed that my 13 yr old daughter is a huge Dr. Who fan, and my wife is crazy about the Twilight series too.

I'm not sure about Detroit or Toronto, but there's a Comic-Con in New York City every year.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

The one they have annually in San Diego looks fantastic, but the air fare to San Diego would be crazy from here, and I am not driving that far either!

Comment

They just had albany comic con this weekend.The guy from my comic shop heads it up.I have been before but not this year.It is small a couple thousand people but nothing like the big ones.I stayed away for lack of funds.Actualy because I am saving for a couple of things.

Comment

I don't know about Detroit, but Bloomington, Minnesota has CONvergence every year. It is a convention for fans of Sci-Fi and Fantasy in all media. You can check out the site for it at http://convergence-con.org/
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

A quick search found this one from last April. Hopefully it's an annual event. http://www.motorcitynightmares.com/

The Baltimore area had Horrorfind every year. Doesn't CD set up a table there?
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
              A quick search found this one from last April. Hopefully it's an annual event. http://www.motorcitynightmares.com/

I believe the past couple years Horrorfind has been held in Gettysburg PA. We used to go to it, but haven't in years.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post

You can check the free extras page.Go to photo Gallery and scroll down.That is the main CD site not the forum,just incase there was any confusion.

Comment

Dan is correct, Horrorfind was held in Gettysburg this year. I only know because I was there. Not sure about previous years, but I believe it is already scheduled there for 2013 as well. Baltimore does have the Lit Festival, which is fun. I've gone the past 2 years and enjoyed it.

A Canadien author I know gets pretty involved with the Ottawa horror event every year. I'm not sure how far that is from you, though, without checking a map. Figured you'd know offhand. If you want I ask her if she knows of others for you.
                  Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I am in Windsor - farthest south you can go in Canada for a bigger city. Have to drive north to cross the bridge or tunnel to Detroit, MI.

Ottawa is like a 10 hr drive from here - whereas Toronto is only 4. I am pretty sure I will be doing the FanExpo next summer (August). Plus, I know downtown Toronto pretty good. Maybe even catch a Blue Jays game too.

I have never been to anything like this, and it seems like lots of fun. Hopefully I can make it to one one day soon.

Comment

Sorry. I'll keep my eyes open for something closer. How far is Chicago from you? I know they have a lit fest too. And there are several in Cleveland/Cinci Ohio if that isn't too far. Likely a Comicon at both locations, too.
                      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Chicago is about 4 hrs or so, Cleveland about 3-4 hrs I think - I know Cedar Point in Sandusky is about 2-2.5, and Cleveland is past that. Cinci is a little far - like 6 hrs. I've been keeping my eyes open, so hopefully will take one in. Toronto has a ComiCon in March, but incorporates a ComiCon, HorrorFest, SciFi Fest, etc. all in one in August.

Comment

Working...
                        X