PDA

View Full Version : Lucian Poll's Collection

Lucian Poll
10-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Evening all. I must still be on a probationary period as I can't upload attachments direct to the forum. Nil desperandum, KBO and all that. Here are those snaps I took a while ago. I've uploaded them to my blog so with a bit of luck I can link to them here.

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cd-magazines.jpg

So here are my Cemetery Dance mags going back to 2002. Despite this photo being saved as portrait WordPress has decided to rotate it to landscape and refuses all attempts to rotate it back to normal. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Lucian Poll
10-11-2012, 08:40 PM
My copy of Cemetery Dance issue 57 also contains this unfortunate stitching error:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cd-57-stitching-error.jpg

Does this make it even more collectable?! :D

Lucian Poll
10-11-2012, 08:51 PM
My Grave Tales...

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/gt-comics.jpg

Sadly I never received issues 3 and 4. :(

I still maintain that the cover for issue 6 is my favourite across all my issues of CD and GT. Wonderfully twisted!

Lucian Poll
10-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Here is the first book in the Bryant & May series, penned by prolific UK horror author Christopher Fowler. I notice the US editions of these books have very different covers!

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/full-dark-house-hardback-with-incorrect-sleeve.jpg

As I mentioned in the "What Are You Reading" thread, the sleeve of this hardback is incorrect. The shot is a little blurry but the character on the left, May, is holding a smoking pipe. However in the books it is the other character, Bryant, that smokes. (You can, of course, see the correct cover on Amazon.) According to the author the mistake was spotted early in the printing process but not before a couple of hundred copies had already been shipped. Whether the story is true or apocryphal, I was quite pleased to find my copy was one of them.

Lucian Poll
10-11-2012, 09:24 PM
...and even happier when he signed my copy:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/full-dark-house-signed-title-page.jpg

(Just for the record, as you can infer from the photo, Lucian Poll is a pseudonym. (What, on the internet?!? No way!) When I heard long ago that Shaun Hutson wrote under a number of different pseudonyms (and still does) to serve different markets I thought that was a pretty cool idea. Of course I couldn't hope to sell anywhere near his numbers, but I liked the idea all the same. So Lucian Poll is my means of working out my nastier story ideas.)

Joe315
10-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Nice collection. The dust jacket error is neat.

For pictures you can use a site like photobucket and link the pictures from there if you don't want to use your blog. They no longer have a maximum limit on uploads for free users.

Hope to see more!

Lucian Poll
10-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks, Joe. I'm glad they were of interest. (Relieved too!) I'll get a few more snaps together and will post them in the coming days. Thanks also for the tip re: photobucket.

bookworm 1
10-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Very nice stuff.Can not wait to see more.:cool:

Martin
10-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Good stuff, thanks for starting another collector's thread!

Lucian Poll
10-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Okay, here are a few more snaps.

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/creepy-and-eerie.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for horror comics. There were always a couple of ragged copies of Eerie floating around that just so happened to land in the hands of an impressionable pre-teen. I had often seen tatty old magazines for sale via eBay, but when Dark Horse started printing the entire run of both Creepy and Eerie in handsome hardback volumes I was a very happy (old) lad!

Lucian Poll
10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
This is something I am particularly pleased with...

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-complete-collection.jpg

In the early 1980's a partwork magazine called The Unexplained ran for a couple of years here in the UK. (Again issues of these were often left dotted around the house when I was a nipper.) Each weekly issue covered assorted topics of the... well... unexplained. Fast forward thirty years and they have a certain charm in these cynical times. Anyway, what you are seeing here is a complete collection of The Unexplained: over 3,000 pages of stories, articles and accounts of oddness split over 157 issues.

Obviously there had to be thirteen volumes!

Lucian Poll
10-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I also like the binders for The Unexplained:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/single-unexplained-volume.jpg

Lucian Poll
10-12-2012, 10:27 PM
And here's a (blurry) look inside volume 1. Spontaneous human combustion anybody? Oh go on then...

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/inside-unexplained-e1350078819276.jpg

Martin
10-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Great stuff. I love the Unexplained books!

bookworm 1
10-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Love the horror comics myself.Great stuff.

Ben Staad
10-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Very cool looking collection. The Unexplained books are just awesome!

Joe315
10-13-2012, 01:36 AM
I think the unexplained books are cool as well. I like that kind of stuff.

Lucian Poll
10-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi all. Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked The Unexplained. There's a nice story behind the collection. Being only five or six years old when the magazines came out I wasn't in much of a position to collect them, but a few years ago I had a mini-midlife crisis moment. (I guess you can say the moment is ongoing, hence the Eeries, the Creepys and so on!)

Anyway I was able to track down a full set of The Unexplained here: http://www.partworks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d136.html. (It's a labour-of-love small business here in the UK.) I explained that I loved the covers of the magazines when I was younger, all moody black background with a stark circle of whatever featured in each issue, and wondered whether the covers had been retained. The owner replied saying that, sadly, the covers tended to be removed so that the content of each issue could run unbroken within each binder. I ordered a set regardless and was incredibly pleased to find the guy had put an unbroken run of covers from issue 30 to 156 in with my order, along with a couple of odds and ends from Issue 1. (You can slightly see them resting against my set of binders.)

Now that's customer service!

If you're curious I'll put the covers on here so you can get a feel for the spooky goings on in each issue. (Don't worry, I won't photograph each one individually, though it is a good way of getting my post count up!)

Martin
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I would love to see the covers!
Hi all. Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked The Unexplained. There's a nice story behind the collection. Being only five or six years old when the magazines came out I wasn't in much of a position to collect them, but a few years ago I had a mini-midlife crisis moment. (I guess you can say the moment is ongoing, hence the Eeries, the Creepys and so on!)

Anyway I was able to track down a full set of The Unexplained here: http://www.partworks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d136.html. (It's a labour-of-love small business here in the UK.) I explained that I loved the covers of the magazines when I was younger, all moody black background with a stark circle of whatever featured in each issue, and wondered whether the covers had been retained. The owner replied saying that, sadly, the covers tended to be removed so that the content of each issue could run unbroken within each binder. I ordered a set regardless and was incredibly pleased to find the guy had put an unbroken run of covers from issue 30 to 156 in with my order, along with a couple of odds and ends from Issue 1. (You can slightly see them resting against my set of binders.)

Now that's customer service!

If you're curious I'll put the covers on here so you can get a feel for the spooky goings on in each issue. (Don't worry, I won't photograph each one individually, though it is a good way of getting my post count up!)

Lucian Poll
10-14-2012, 11:36 PM
No worries, Martin. Here's the first photo, covering issues 30 to 38. (I'll stagger them over a number of days so I don't hit you all with a datablast!)

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-30-38-e1350254630761.jpg

In case the images are a little too fuzzy here are the articles mentioned on the covers.

Issue 30
Dream experiments
How to cast a horoscope
Instrusions from elsewhere
A regiment vanishes
Coincidences
(The image depicts the assassination of King Umberto I of Italy, whose death and important events in his life were closely paralleled by the life of another Umberto, a restaurant owner in Northern Italy.)

Issue 31
Against all the odds
Photographing ghosts
Vanishing soldiers - found?
Influence of the planets
The master doswer
(The image depicts a giant solar flare "perhaps as much as 100,000 miles in length")

Issue 32
The Geller phenomenon
Science and astrology
Ghosts true and false
Strange tricks of fate
Criticisms of Kirlian
OFOs filmed
(The image depicts a very youthful-looking Uri Geller. And yes, the issue is full of spoon-bending!)

Issue 33
When time slips
Kirlian's tarnished aura
Lethbridge's discoveries
The meaning of coincidences
UFOs and the computer (NB: Bear in mind this is from 1981!)
(The image depicts "...a 'computer eye view' of a glowing disc seen over Colorado, USA")

Issue 34
Mass hysteria
Uri Geller tested
Mysteries of the Moon
Classic UFOs analysed
Ghost hunter's guide
(The image depicts the Nuremberg rallies, given as an example of mass hysteria.)

Issue 35
The cosmic joke
Leaps into the future
UFO photos - facts and frauds
Uri: psychic superstar
Is death the end?
(The image depicts detail from "Part of the huge block of ice that suddenly dropped out of the sky and almost hit meteorologist Dr Richard Griffiths in Manchester, England, on 2 April 1973. This photograph was taken through a polarising filter in an effort to determine the structure, and therefore the origin, of the ice - but it remains a complete mystery.")

Issue 36
UFOs in action
Ancient technology
The impossible moon
Miraculous rose petals
A history of hysteria
Ted Serios in focus
(The image is of the Chicago Hilton, as thought onto film by Ted Serios (yes, with the power of his mind), who had actually intended to create an image of the Hilton Hotel at Denver.)

Issue 37
The facts of death
Encounter in Mendoza
The moon's best-kept secrets
A psychic contagion
Man-made UFOs
(The image is detail from a 16th century painting by Joachim Patinir of "a soul being ferried across the river of death - the Styx.")

Issue 38
Irish lake monsters
The UFO goes to war
Mystery of the Welsh lights
Timeslip mechanisms
Puzzles from the past
(The image is a depiction of "the Lough Dubh creature, described as being covered with bristles and having a hippo-like face with a horn on its snout.") (The image further down the page in question is much more to my liking, being a young witch trying to invoke a sea creature. In the nude, obviously. You gotta love those witches, man.)

Joe315
10-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Those are cool. I looked up the umberto story. Really interesting.

Lucian Poll
10-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Joe. Here's another photo covering issues 39 to 47:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-39-47-e1350321873375.jpg

As before here's a quick run through each cover:

Issue 39
Spring-heeled Jack
Lights of inspiration
The history of werewolves
Elusive Irish monsters
Incorruptable corpses
(The image is just your common-or-garden wolf, which is okay as wolves are cool.) (The story of Spring-heeled Jack, by the way, is utterly barmy. Almost a precursor to Batman in some ways.)

Issue 40
The cyborg cover-up
When the Welsh lights faded
The werewolf transformation
Fossils that do not fit
Curse of the boy king
(The image is of "an unmanned probe - not from space but from Westland, a British helicopter manufacturer." The article does have some interesting pictures of weird and wonderful experimental aircraft, including a flying wing, said probe, and a remotely piloted plane - these days all par for the course in a battle arena.) (I'd imagine.)

Issue 41
A shock to science
The 'Welsh triangle'
Secrets of the grave
Man into beast?
Egyptian magic
(The photograph: "A table levitates at a London sitting of Eusapia Palladino in 1903. Careful investigations ascribed some, at least, of her phenomena to 'some supernormal cause'.")

Issue 42
Psi: the Cinderella science
Images that bleed and weep
UFOs at Ripperston Farm
Master builders' secrets
Mystery alchemist
("The shapes, cut out of plywood, are firmly linked, but the question is how this came about. Were they ingeneously made that way or were they linked paranormally?")

Issue 43
Mind over metal
Puzzling over pyramids
The stigmatic phenomenon
The phantom universe
The jumping coffins
("Paperclips dropped into this glass ball were paranormally 'scrunched' into a fantastic shape by one of Professor Hasted's metal bending subjects.")

Issue 44
The Alaise mystery
Who are the stigmatics?
Pyramid power assessed
Welsh triangle - the facts
The legend of Fulcanelli
(The image relates to a spate of UFO sightings in Wales in the late 70's. It is an artists impression of the Coombs family's account of a UFO cirlcing some rocks near Ripperston Farm "then disappear into them as if through sliding doors". This looks like a week where the picture editor was on holiday!)

Issue 45
Secrets of Alaise
Attack by hostile UFOs?
The legendary money pit
The new view of reality
A stroll into the past
(The image is of Oak Island, Nova Scotia. The yellow areas are where the island has been excavated in the search for a fabled money pit, based on a rumour going back to 1795.)

Issue 46
Timeslip at Dieppe
American spook lights
UFO catches fishermen
Hypnosis: does it exist?
Fulcanelli's secret
(The image is an illustration of "spook lights" a.k.a. Will O' The Wisps and Jack O' Lanterns.)

Issue 47
Lead into gold
Disaster at the pit
Mysteries of migration
The healing trance
Key to reality?
(The image shows detail from an 18th century painting by Joesph Wright and fronts an article on alchemy called "The search for the Philosopher's stone".)

peteOcha
10-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Great stuff! And welcome to the forum!!

Lucian Poll
10-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, Pete.

I'll post another set of covers tomorrow. (One of them is perhaps my favourite of the whole collection.)

bookworm 1
10-16-2012, 12:56 AM
like the magazines.keep it coming.

frik51
10-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Okay, here are a few more snaps.

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/creepy-and-eerie.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for horror comics. There were always a couple of ragged copies of Eerie floating around that just so happened to land in the hands of an impressionable pre-teen. I had often seen tatty old magazines for sale via eBay, but when Dark Horse started printing the entire run of both Creepy and Eerie in handsome hardback volumes I was a very happy (old) lad!

Hey, I got those as well!! Great set of books.
But, where are the Vampirella Archives???

sk

Lucian Poll
10-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi frik. Great minds think alike!

Vampirella never really reached my darkened corner of the world so I'm not so familiar with the comic. It doesn't stop Amazon recommending the Vampirella Archives to me every time I log in, though! I might have to sample a couple of volumes in the future.

Lucian Poll
10-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks, bookworm. I'm glad you're enjoying the collection so far. Here's another photo, this time covering issues 48 to 56:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-48-56-e1350410048173.jpg

Here's a run through the covers and images:

Issue 48
The Elixir of Life
What killed the mammoths?
French timeslips analysed
The case of 'Mary Celeste'
Money pit mystery
(The image depicts the Mary Celeste as painted by an uncredited artist. A shame as I quite like the picture.)

Issue 49
UFO photofile
The healer within
Can animals be kind?
The boy with no past
Mammoth mystery
UFO force fields
(The image depicts a mammoth, again by an uncredited artist. The picture editor must have been going through a bad patch. "The boy with no past" article relates to a boy called Kaspar Hauser who was found in Nuremberg in 1828 carrying two letters, barely able to speak and possessing no memory. I love stories like this. The Piano Man is a recent example of a similar incident that happened here in the UK around six or seven years ago.)

Issue 50
Sex and alchemy
Tesla: unknown genius
Glastonbury scripts
End of the jinx ship
UFOs over Japan
(This is perhaps my favourite cover, with a superb image sadly not done justice by my crappy photo! If I've got the link right here's a better image:

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/photos/pdfig4-2.jpg

"A discharge of millions of volts at Colorado Springs. It was not Tesla's practice to use these artificial lightning strokes as reading lamps, as this picture suggests: he was photographed with flash powder and then moved to a safe distance while the current flowed and the film was re-exposed." So it's a cheat but still awesome!)

Issue 51
Odd animal senses
Who was Kaspar Houser?
Alchemy's hidden truth
The test of healing
Epidemic of vampires
(The image is a 1916 painting called The Vampire's Kiss by Biegas.)

Issue 52
Tesla's genius
The Dracula legend
Tunguska fireball
A career in ruins
Creating a ghost
(The image is of a regular forest fire, to help illustrate "a huge fireball that 'covered an enormous part of the sky' over Tunguska, Siberia ... for up to 20 miles (30 kilometers) around the site of the explosion, trees were blown down, and the intense heat of the blast set the forest alight.")

Issue 53
Tunguska: the truth
Strange Glastonbury
The curse on Killakee
CIA and the UFO cover up
The journey of the soul
(The image is, of course, the CIA's official seal.)

Issue 54
Sex with an alien
Vampires: the reality
Signals from space
Lost civilisations
Nazi occultism
(The image is one that accompanies Antonio Villas Boas' account of his alien abduction. I wonder if he's related to Tottenham Hotspur's current manager. Love that helmet, man.)

Issue 55
CIA and UFOs
Weird winged creatures
Spirit surgeon extraordinary
What happens after death
Clapham Wood enigma
(The image: "five-year-old Marie Delex was borne away by a large bird in 1838". These kind of stories also interest me. There was one here a couple of years ago about a huge owl stalking a village, posing a threat to family pets.)

Issue 56
Evil of the Nazis
The secret of the rope trick
UFOs: a Federal case
Lost cities of Asia
Remote viewing
(The image is of Mohenjo-Daro in Pakistan, an example of a huge empire that suddenly disappeared.)

Lucian Poll
10-17-2012, 07:34 PM
A few more covers:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-57-65-e1350497956772.jpg

And here's a run through each issue:

Issue 57
The strange world of twins
Close-up on remote viewing
Creatures from the past
The Dufferin myth
UFOs over water
(The image is taken from The Frost Programme of 17th January 1968, which featured 300 pairs of identical twins. The article focuses on how long-separated twins sometimes find they have lead very similar lives when they meet again. One example quoted is the case of Jim Springer and Jim Lewis who were separated at birth and reared by different families in Ohio. The list of coincidences is just spooky!)

Issue 58
UFOs of the mind
Hitler ands the black arts
Two bodies, one mind
New light on evolution
Incas' hidden city
(The image is supposed to be that of two giant human-like brains sitting on a road, to illustrate an account given by two Californian guys near Palos Verdes in the early 70's. I'm no anatomist, but those don't look like human-like brains to me. They look more like they've been scooped out of Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2.)

Issue 59
Twin lives
When birdmen swoop
Where did Darwin go wrong?
The PK effect
UFOs land
(The photo is of a two-headed calf. the result of a genetic mutation. It only lived for a few days.)

Issue 60
Psychic UFOs
The vanishing ship
Return of the Tudors
The horror of Glamis
Velikovsky's comet
(The image is of the USS Eldridge, the vanishing ship from the 'Philadelphia Experiment'.)

Issue 61
PK on request
Mapping the heavens
Vanishing ship: the facts
Velikovsky debated
Is man a machine?
The image is a constellation of the southern skies as charted by a Dutch astronomer circa 1700. The image hasn't come out particulary well here. If I've got the link right here's the actual map:

http://www.eparodos.mb.vu.lt/hinc_itur_ad_astra/img/th1_5.jpg

Issue 62
Gods from the stars?
The mind and evolution
Menace of Soviet psi
Velikovsky assessed
Doctor of the dying
(The image is of Vishnu riding on the bird-god Garuda.)

Issue 63
Star mystery
Inside the minilab
The green children
Soviet psi secrets
Mayfair ghosts
(The cover shows a split image to illustrate the effects of psychokinesis on two leather rings that were paranormally linked together outside a minilab, which is a kind of sealed glass chamber in which all kinds of hands-free psychokinetic oddness occurs. Punch "SORRAT" into Google to find out more.)

Issue 64
Psi wars
The Bermuda Triangle
Constellation makers
Von Daniken on trial
Murder by UFO
(The image shows detail from the poster for the 1978 movie 'The Bermuda Triangle'.)

Issue 65
The Ripper murders
The legend of King Arthur
Triangle - the truth
Astronaut ancestors
Stars over Atlantis
(The image is of an illustration by Gustav Dore of Lord Tennyson's epic poem 'Idylls of the King'. Check out some of Dore's work on Google images. Absolutely stunning.)

Martin
10-17-2012, 07:52 PM
The Unexplained stuff is simply amazing!

Lucian Poll
10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks, Martin. I'm glad you're enjoying it! If you want a brief overview of any of the more esoteric article headings found on these covers let me know and I'll post a digested read.

Lucian Poll
10-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Another set of covers, this time issues 66 to 74:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-66-74-e1350590374260.jpg

And a quick rundown of each one:

Issue 66
Without a trace?
PK for the people
The aliens strike back
Magic of numbers
The Holy Grail
(The image accompanies an account of a close encounter of the third kind that occurred near Anolaima, Cudinamarca, Colombia, on 4th July 1969. In an issue full of arresting images, not least of which a very booby hippy on p1305 (sales must have been dropping), it's disappointing to find what appears to be a badly drawn mini-barbeque set on the cover!)
(This was also the first issue to feature international pricing on the cover, so the magazine must have found some success overseas.)

Issue 67
Saucers of Satan
New angle on the Triangle
Shades of the Ripper
Future lives recalled
Power in numbers
(The image depicts "a demonic-looking flying saucer", though I'm not sure about the "demonic-looking" part. The artist is not credited, which is a shame as the full image looks pretty cool. It looks like it should belong on the cover of a book. Perhaps it does.)

Issue 68
The real King Arthur
UFOs and the Antichrist
Disappearances explained
Howl of the banshee
Mass phantoms
(Sadly another picture by an uncredited artist, and a bit tricky to see what's going on. The image is detail of an army sleeping on the battlefield while armies of phantoms wage war in the skies, a possible sign of things to come.)

Issue 69
UFOs of the Devil
Science, art and numbers
Prisoner without a face
Future memories
Lost and found
(The image shows "the myth of the man in the iron mask - doomed perpetually to wear a heavy helmet and manacles. In reality he was not kept in fetters, and his mask was of velvet with iron clasps.")

Issue 70
The Voynich mystery
Ghosts on the march
The Ripper's shadow
Flight 19 vanishes
The Fox sisters
(The image is "an example of the script in which the Voynich manuscript is written." There's a fair amount online about this, but essentially the manuscript is a mysterious medieval book purchased by a bookseller called Voynich 100 years ago. It contains diagrams of unusual plants, most of which do not match any known species, and is written in an odd script that has defied codebreakers throughout the ages.)

Issue 71
Plagues from space
The uncrackable code
Behind the iron mask
Enter Katie King
Leaving the body
(The image is "an artist's impression of the European Space Agency's probe Giotto which, in 1986, will fly past Halley's comet." The image accompanies the "Plagues from space" article, which seems to ride in on the coat-tails of Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain.)

Issue 72
OOBE experiments
Fox sisters' confessions
Telepathy without tears
UFOs and bent lights
Out of thin air
(The image is detail of a painting inspired by St Augustine's De Civitate Dei. The image shows a Sciopode (a.k.a. Sciapode), a bizarre being that could run very fast despite only having one leg that couldn't bend. And if you thought that was trippy you should see the whole picture:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxowx89nSW1qggdq1.jpg

Issue 73
Prophet by appointment
Standing stones mystery
People from nowhere
Is there life on Mars?
What Katie did
(The image is of Mont de la Ville, "mountain of the town", megaliths that were transported from their original setting in Jersey to Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, in the 18th Century. For more impressive images of standing stones, check out The Devils Arrows in Google images.)

Issue 74
Secrets in stone
The Katie King scandal
The experimenter effect
What did the seer see?
UFO sickness
(The image shows paths of subatomic particles in a bubble chamber. It accompanies an article that discusses whether intense thought by scientists can create self-fulfilling prophecies in their work.)

frik51
10-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi frik. Great minds think alike!

Vampirella never really reached my darkened corner of the world so I'm not so familiar with the comic. It doesn't stop Amazon recommending the Vampirella Archives to me every time I log in, though! I might have to sample a couple of volumes in the future.

Yes, please do!
The Vampirella series features the same artists/writers as do the Creepy and Eerie books - top notch entertainment!
I'm sure you'd be terribly impressed!

sk

TerryE
10-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I knew Siep would like the Creepy and Eerie collections.

Welcome Lucian!

Lucian Poll
10-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Interesting, Frik. I loved Archie Goodwin's stories in the other two titles, and how the guy seemed to have a bottomless pit of stories. I also like the fact he was warned against using his real name as it had already appeared as a character name elsewhere. I'll have to tell Randy that in the "Cemetery Dance to re-open to submissions later this year" thread!

Lucian Poll
10-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Terry. You may have seen I've started a NaNoWriMo 2012 thread. I spotted you started one last year. If you are interested this time around do hop in!

Lucian Poll
10-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Another round of covers, anyone? Coming right up! This time issues 75 to 83:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-75-83-e1350677504163.jpg

And a here's a run through each cover:

Issue 75
Psi in the lab
Margo Williams, medium
The man who fell to earth
Secrets of the red planet
Alien contacts
(The image is a still from Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind.)

Issue 76
Aliens in the mind
What killed the dinosaurs?
The bookies' nightmare
Chanctonbury Ring
Timeloops
(The cover shows "an image-processed photograph of the Stephan's Quintet group of galaxies. Scientists believe that time becomes distorted near large, dense masses - such as stars or black holes - making time travel possible.")

Issue 77
A great eccentric
Where dark forces meet
Making a time machine
The dinosaur debate
New light on leys
(The image fronts an article which ponders how a dinosaur may look these days had they survived. As with several images in the partwork the picture is uncredited, which is a shame as I think the model looks awesome! Very detailed and well thought out.)

Issue 78
The Cock Lane ghost
Matthew Manning: healer
Contactee controversies
Visions of the Virgin
PK in the office
(The photo depicts the grotto at Lourdes, France, where Bernadette Soubirous had a vision of a beautiful lady who later said: "I am the Immaculate Conception.")

Issue 79
Psi: the secret agent
The Dragon and the leys
Contact with the Pleiades
The anger of Annemarie
Ghost on trial
(The image is one of "two photographs taken within a short time of each other, showing 'spacecraft' of two different types manoeuvring over (Billy) Meier's farm".)

Issue 80
Pleiades contact
Prophecies of the Virgin
American lake monsters
The evil Gilles de Rais
Listening to leys
("Since 1970 Veronica Leuken, the 'Bayside seeress' from New York, has claimed she has had visions of the Virgin, who blessed her Polaroid camera so that it takes pictures with strange effects, especially the appearance of the so-called 'Ball of Redemption'. Critics, however, think it resembles a thumb over the lens." After capturing a few 'Balls of Redemption' of my own in trying to photo these covers, I'm with the critics. You decide:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qMhBtKe3htg/R980xtvEuGI/AAAAAAAAB4U/WnHtzlsTqLI/s400/!0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000.jpg

Issue 81
Psi warnings
UFO photos exposed
Lake monsters surface
Leys' hidden powers
Window areas
(The image: "Simcoe Lake, Ontario, reputedly the home of a monster variously dubbed Igopogo and Kempenfelt Kelly. Reports of the monster go back to the 19th Century.")

(This has, just this moment, given me the idea for a story. Good Lord, folks, run now! You've been warned!)

Issue 82
Spirit portraits
Monsters that got away
Zombies: the walking dead
Window area mysteries
Mystery submersibles
(The image: "the role of a zombie is acted out in a voodoo street festival.")

Issue 83
What is time?
The corpse that winked
The fire and the phantom
Creating zombies
Reversing poles
(The image is a theoretical look at the Earth, with an ice cap over Central America and part of South America, to illustrate an article that argues that our polar configuration may not be as set-in-stone as we think.)
(The coprse that winked - come on, don't tell me you're not curious - details how "The old belief that a corpse will react to the presence of its murderer seems to have found horrific expression in the strange case of Joan Norkot.". Brilliant stuff!)

bookworm 1
10-20-2012, 12:08 AM
I really like these.I think it is great that another collection thread has started.Everyone is always worried about posting the same stuff and we still love to see it.Then along comes someone like you Lucian who introduces us to something different and gets us excited for things we have not seen.By the way we still love looking at books we have seen before.When they are in a different thread they are part of that person and we get to know other people who have the same interests as some others.So anyone looking at this just post your collections we do want to see them.

Lucian Poll
10-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks, bookworm, it's really nice of you to say that. I hope that some of the stories and articles listed on these covers inspire further reading, as Joe found with the King Umberto story, and fire imaginations, as I have found since revisiting these magazines.

I'll have a few more curios once all the covers have been posted, then it'll be regular paperbacks and hardbacks from all round the bookshop.

Lucian Poll
10-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Here are another set of covers of The Unexplained, this time covering issues 84 to 92:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-84-92-e1350760161669.jpg

And a quick run-down of the contents:

Issue 84
Mind over body
Beast of Gevaudan
'Windows' explained
The waiting future
Earth's pole vault
(The image shows the Beast of Gevaudan. "Very few survived an assault by the beast - and those that did were liable to be left mad by the encounter." Beast stories are another area of the paranormal that I could happily lap up until the end of my days.)

Issue 85
The alient fleet
Living thought forms
100 years of the SPR
Screaming skulls
End of the beast
(The image is of "the screaming skull of Bettiscombe Manor in Dorset. As recently as the early 1900s the skull is said to have taken revenge on someone who tossed it out of the house it loved. Family tradition has it that the relic is the head of a West Indian slave.")

Issue 86
Black dogs
Sinister UFO cults
Phantom hitch-hikers
Living in the past
SPR's psi search
(The image shows "members of the Aetherius Society charging a 'prayer battery' with spiritual energy on Wimbledon Common in London. They believe that the energy, when released under the direction of the Interplanetary Parliament, can assist troubled parts of the globe to struggle against spiritual danger." They're still going today.)

Issue 87
Apocalypse now?
Joan Grant's many lives
Black dogs - friend or foe?
World of Charles Fort
The last frontier
(The image accompanies an article on Charles Fort, who is, of course, quite simply the godfather of the unexplained. It is an engraving depicting the classic 'fire from heaven' story, to illustrate Fort's belief that almost anything can fall from the sky.)

Issue 88
The SPR today
Lost isle of Lyonesse
Fort - prophet or fool?
Rose Gladden, healer
Search for Pluto
(Another uncredited picture, this time an artist's impression of the surface of Pluto. I like this image as it's very serene. "The Sun's warmth is so feeble that snows of frozen methane cover the rocky shores of a lake of liquid methane." So a bit nippy then.)

Issue 89
Psychic surgery
The man who created life
Long shadow of past lives
Meaning of UFO cults
Trouble with curses
(The image shows "the strange insect that came to life in the bottom of a basin during (Andrew) Crosse's experiments with electricity.")

Issue 90
Jinxes
Biorhythms - the inside story
Crazy night with UFOs
Solid proof for survival?
The city under the sea
(The image shows William Marriott, an author and debunker, surrounded by the props used by a fake medium.)

Issue 91
ESP unlimited
Surgery or sleight of hand?
Objects from nowhere
Classic UFO abduction
Occult chemistry
(The image shows one of "two kinds of 'ultimate physical atom' seen clairvoyantly by Annie Besant and C. W. Leadbeater." The article discusses whether some discoveries regarding the structure of matter had already been made using ancient Indian yoga techniques.)

Issue 92
The cycles of life
Psychic surgery - success
Haunting of the quark
Christ's bloodline
The dead speak
(The image is of the crucifixion, as depicted by Giotto, and accompanies an article that discusses whether Christ actually died on the cross or went on to marry and father children.)
(This issue is notable for the extraordinary photo sequence showing the (illegal) psychic surgery being performed on Anne Dooley, who later went onto write about the subject after it relieved her of a chronic lung condition. In the procedure she had an unscheduled tonsilectomy performed on her with unsterilised scissors, then a razor incision made into her back to allow the psychic surgeon to suck out a blood clot from her lung. All throughout the 'operation' she has a handkerchief clamped to her mouth as if trying not to throw up, and looks utterly spent by the end of it. Compulsive reading!)

Lucian Poll
10-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Here is another photo, this time showing the covers from issues 93 to 101:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-93-101-e1350841860447.jpg

And here's a run through the articles in each issue:

Issue 93
Spotlight on Borley
Mysterious moving stones
Cergy-Pontoise confusion
Alternative medicine
Figures from beyond
(The image shows a mysterious moving stone of Racetrack Playa, one of the dried-up lakes of the Sierra Nevada mountains.)

Issue 94
A touch of the Sun
The king and the covens
Homeopathy - does it work?
Bible and the paranormal
A UFO comes to town
(The image shows detail from the first of a series of shots taken by Anthony Russell, a keen photographer, in 1966 of a UFO he spotted in Streatham, London.)

Issue 95
Inside the Sun
Merfolk: a fishy tale?
Tension mounts at Borley
New Testament miracles
Spirit photographs
(The image is of a mermaid as painted by John William Waterhouse. It's quite a nice painting:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/John_William_Waterhouse_-_Mermaid.JPG

I'm guessing the Fejee mermaid image, also featured in the article, was too scary to put on the cover:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Feejee_mermaid.jpg

Issue 96
Borley in ruins?
British scareships
Murder and the Moon
The art of geomancy
The healing touch
(The image is of Macbeth and Banquo meeting the Weird Sisters, from the article about geomancy. The picure is not credited, but was drawn by the famous turn-of-the-century illustrator Arthur Rackham. Check out his work on Google images. Amazing stuff!)

Issue 97
Whose scareships?
The talking mongoose
Consulting the I Ching
The greatest miracle?
Spirits in the studio
(The image is of Gef, the talking mongoose from the Isle of Man, which was the centre of a media sensation in the 1930s. "All of the pictures of the talking mongoose were uniformly poor and indistinct, leaving as much to the imagination as to the eye.")

Issue 98
No end to Borley
Minnesota iceman mystery
Where are memories stored?
Animals' spirits on film
Gef keeps talking
(The image is one of two computer images showing cells dividing in a sea urchin's egg. (This is the "before" shot.) They accompany an article that discusses theories on how memories are stored and whether past experiences and memories can be accessed by future generations of a species in order to "skip a few pages", so to speak.)

Issue 99
John Dee
Tarot cards explained
In search of Harry Price
Glastonbury explored
Who was the iceman?
(The image is an (uncredited) artist's impression of how Homo Pongoides would have looked, based on the accounts of Bernard Heuvelmans and Ivan T. Sanderson. It accompanies an article that continues to explore the Minnesota iceman, an 'apeman' preserved in a block of ice by American showman Frank Hansen.)

Issue 100
Crashed UFOs
A step through time
Eileen Garrett: modern medium
Palmistry - does it work?
The coming ice age
(The image is of "the birth of the new island of Surtsey, in the North Altantic, on 14 November 1963, as the result of a submarine volcanic eruption. It has been suggested that huge clouds of dust ejected into the upper atmosphere by large-scale volcanic eruptions may be responsible for ice ages.")

Issue 101
Besieged by UFOs
The Pat McAdam mystery
The case for Harry Price
The real Anastasia?
Quest for Avalon
(The image (uncredited) illustrates an account of a dazzling UFO display over Aveyron, in rural France, in 1967.)

bookworm 1
10-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Very nice.I don't think that mermaid is to scary.I have been more terified watching the news.

Lucian Poll
10-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks, bookworm. I still wouldn't like to find the Fejee mermaid nibbling my toes. The other mermaid, however... Anyway, before things get super-weird here's another cover!

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-102-110-e1350841896170.jpg

And a run-down of each issue:

Issue 102
Future shock
Crashed saucers at Roswell
Perpetual motion machines
Telepathy: seeing the light
Oldfield: current crusader
(The image is of a late-seventeenth-century idea for a perpetual motion machine. "No inventor has ever been granted a patent." For me these designs are always interesting, and always flawed by such pesky things as friction and gravity. Some of them remind me of Rube Goldberg cartoons.)

Issue 103
The Bell Witch strikes
End of perpetual motion?
Twitches, twigs and treasure
Whose crashed saucers?
Visiting the future
(The image shows a woodcut from De re metallica, by the German mineralogist Agricola (a.k.a. Georg Bauer), published in 1556, and accompanies the "Twitches, twigs and treasure" article about dowsing.)

Issue 104
Oldfield's new field
Anastasia: end of the line
Aliens identity parade
Glastonbury zodiac
Madame Blavatsky
(My photography skills fail me again. The image is detail from a painting by Odilon Redon. Here's the full painting, in which a Cyclops gets an eyeful of naked lady...

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/redon/redon.cyclops.jpg

...which is all very pleasant, and not the least bit stalkerish ;). This old TV advert, however, for Little Caesar's Pizza is just outright chilling! I saw this on a comedy clip-show around 20 years ago, ill, in the dark, whilst sitting in a creaking caravan during a downpour. It completely took me by suprise, and I still can't watch it today without breaking out in goosebumps. As the guy from the clip-show said at the time: "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?"

http://youtu.be/pIQnvTshJ54

Issue 105
Aromatherapy
Learn how to dowse
Human glow worms
Aleister Crowley
An alien is born
(The image is of "Quetzalcoatl, the Aztec god, in his guise as the morning star...surrounded by fire on an ancient stele from Mexico." It accompanies the article on human glow worms, or how the holy and the sick are often depicted with auras of light around their heads.)

Issue 106
Electric people
What crashed at Rendlesham?
Sagée and her shadow
Every man an alien?
Dowsing dissected
(The image accompanies an article on whether accounts of UFO abduction are rooted in the experience of human birth. "When Betty Andreasson was abducted from her home in South Ashburnham, Massachusetts, on 25 January 1967, she found herself sitting in a clear plastic chair with a fitted cover filled with a grey liquid. Closing her eyes she felt pleasant vibrations and was fed some sweet fluid through a tube in her mouth. She felt relaxed and happy. The whole experience, Alvin Lawson points out, is a classic reflection of good experiences in the womb.")

Issue 107
Blinded by UFOs
Crowley: man and magick
'Eva C' and ectoplasm
The real Robin Hood
Secret graffiti
(The image shows one of many buildings in the region of Puglia, in southern Italy, that have odd symbols painted on their unique conical roofs. "The origin of these unique trulli is hotly disputed...")

Issue 108
John Cain, healer
Electrical connections
Suffering of UFO victims
Sagée, a second look
Secrets of the zodiac
("In this 14th-century astrological drawing Aries (the ram) sits on the head, Taurus (the bull) on the neck and Gemini (the twins) on the upper arms. Each part of the body was traditionally associated with a sign of the zodiac.")

Issue 109
The Flying Dutchman
Fairies, demons and aliens
White symbols - black arts?
Who was Robin Hood?
The crab, the lion and the virgin
(The image is an illustration by Gregory Robinson for Rudyard Kipling's poem Seven seas and accompanies an article on the legend of the Flying Dutchman, which is an old sea story of how a ship's captain, the titular Flying Dutchman, challenges the wrath of God and as a result is condemned to sail the ocean for eternity, bringing death to all who see his ship.)

Issue 110
Fishpond enigma
Are aliens angels?
Ilkley rock carvings
Texas UFO debate
Ruth's nightmare
(The image is one of several in an article that details assorted rocks on the Yorkshire moors that sport weathered symbols of unusual origin, and ponders who could have carved them into the stones.)

Lucian Poll
10-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Here's another round of covers, this time for issues 111 to 119:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-111-119-e1350841918663.jpg

And here is a rundown of contents:

Issue 111
Riddles of reality
Aliens' many masks
Centaurs, scales and scorpions
Geraldine Cummins
Rites and wrongs
(The photo shows Cecil Williamson, head of The Witches Kitchen coven in the Isle of Man, breathing life into a poppet. He had earlier received a curse via a letter. The poppet represents the woman that sent the letter, and he later inserts glass splinters into its body. I'm sure he was a lovely man once you got to know him.)

Issue 112
Freaks of nature
UFO vehicle interference
Cosmic joke revisited
Summoning spirits
The goat, the angel and the fish
(The image is of fork lightning, which is always awe-inspiring. It accompanies an article on freaks of nature, for example how lightning can sometimes be seen to pick and choose who or what it strikes.)

Issue 113
Eusapia Palladino
Strange sounds of nature
Mu - the lost continent
Lightning calculators
Computer nets UFOs
(The image is an artist's impression of a UFO witnessed by two factory workers in the town of Nelson, Lancashire, early in 1977. The presence of the UFO caused the lights of their car to dim and the engine to cut out. The witnesses were only able to start the car once the UFO had moved on.)

Issue 114
Alien cats in Britain
The Swiss woman's dream
More natural oddities
Ritual magic today
Queenie Nixon
(The photo shows 'Sister Edith', one of Queenie Nixon's spirit guides. She is the one holding her hands to her face. "Said to be Queenie's spirit counterpart outside her body, this figure was not seen by witnesses at the seance.")

Issue 115
Pub ghosts
The dowser and the dream
Lemuria: a likely story?
The doom boom
Edgar Cayce
(The image is detail from a painting called 'The Riders Of The Apolcalypse' by Vasco Taskovski, whose other works are very Dali-esque. The photo probably doesn't do justice to this striking but decidedly odd painting. Here's a better picture, if a little small:

http://images2.bridgemanart.com/cgi-bin/bridgemanImage.cgi/400wm.PHD.34630.7055475/464.jpg

Issue 116
Mystery Earth lights
Hurtling towards the end
Cottingley revelations
Lion hunts in Britain
Psi in vogue
(The image is artist John Petts' impression of a curious light he saw during a spate of UFO sightings that occurred around St Brides Bay, Dyfed, in 1977. I can't imagine it took him long to paint.)

Issue 117
Sex cults
Hanging Rock: what happened?
Curse of the Celtic heads
Countdown to the end
Cottingley - the truth
(The image shows the erotic sculptures on the Khajuraho temple in India. Looks a cinch to me! :D I don't know if the picture editor was going through another rocky patch but the same picture in the article was positioned such that a staple went right through the naughty bits. Ooyah!)

Issue 118
Love burials
Sex: elixir of life?
Return of the comets
Earth's power lines
Dream dialogues
(The image is of "the Whirlpool Galaxy, which, like our own is clearly a spiral galaxy." The article discusses whether the path of the Sun in such a galaxy can place a large number of comets into our solar system, and whether they could cause catastrophic events on Earth.)

Issue 119
1914: all quiet?
Helen Duncan: martyr?
Squatters in the mind
Suspended animation
Waking up to psi
(The somewhat comical image, from 1974, shows an Indian yogi with his head buried in the earth. He remained there for many long minutes with a pulse rate of just two beats per minute - but he survived. It accompanies an article on suspended animation.)

Lucian Poll
10-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Anyone for a little more oddness? Me too. Here is a photo of The Unexplained covers, spanning 120 to 128:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-120-128-e1350841935319.jpg

And here's a shufti through the contents:

Issue 120
Comets' fiery history
The talents of D. D. Home
The Amityville debate
The mind of a psychic
The horse whisperers
(The image, surely dear to all horror fans' hearts, is of 112 Ocean Avenue in the Long Island district of Amityville.)

Issue 121
Peace in 1939?
The Enfield poltergeist
The greatest medium?
Inside the UFO nests
The perfect murder
(The image is of a crop circle that appeared at Cheesefoot Head in Hampshire in the summer of 1981. The work of pranksters they may be, but crop circles have since made for some incredible images over the years. It's a shame my bread is so expensive these days...)

Issue 122
The Priddy Project
Sinister sounds at Enfield
Amityville - the truth
The Watseka wonder
Psychic photo file
(From the Psychic photo file: Based on the notion that some sensitives can see the emotions of other people, the image shows "the thought form of a person 'not terrified but seriously startled'.")

Issue 123
Enfield on trial
The man they couldn't hang
Was Christ married?
Catastrophe theory
Life copies art
(The image is of the Virgin Mary tending to her son's body following the crucifixion. The artist is uncredited, sadly. A quick look on Google images yielded more pictures of Christ appearing on a slice of toast than of this painting.)

Issue 124
Christ in India
Computing catastrophes
Psi: a practical approach
More psychic photos
Mind versus brain
(The image shows hippuric acid at a magnification of 150, used to illustrate "the bright colours and abstract patterns [that] are typical of certain types of drug-induced hallucination.")

Issue 125
Weird China
Voodoo's strange gods
Rennes: secret dossier
Phantom planes
Is death a dream?
(The image is of Yu Zhenhuan, one of the most famous of China's hairy children, born in 1977. "His parents were horrified when he was born and were tempted to let him die. Now the state is helping them with his upbringing." Happily the guy seems to be doing alright for himself these days:

http://www.e-cloudy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/hou-guozhu.jpeg

Incidentally, the boy with Yu Zhenhuan is Hou Guozhu, once referred to as the 'half-brain boy'. He has since had successful cosmetic surgery to correct the shape of his skull.)

Issue 126
Gurdjieff
Rennes: the Grand Masters
Bottesford witches
Voodoo in Brazil
What is genius?
(The image is of Chopin. His muse makes a last appearance as death embraces him. Here is the full image, if a little small:

http://www.halftimescores.co.uk/images/pc01a/fs1209.jpg

Issue 127
UFOs and radar
The Chinese puzzle
Did Christ survive the cross?
Houdini and the mediums
Two-way timeslips
(The image: "The radar blips on 'primary' radar are formed by direct reflection of radar waves from objects." Not a classic cover!)

Issue 128
Wilhelm Reich
Who discovered America?
Was Houdini psychic?
Unravelling Rennes
UFOs and angels
(The image is from a painting that depicts life being created from inorganic matter, "the alchemists' obsession". Sadly another uncredited image and one I can't seem to track down. It accompanies the article on Wilheim Reich, who believed that the secret of physical and mental health was contained in the orgasm. Well, it certainly puts a spring in your step!)

bookworm 1
10-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Holy crap!! That boy about freaked me out and I work with the disabled.Would love to see a picture of what he looks like now.I thought it was trick photograph at first.

Lucian Poll
10-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Hello again. How about another dose of covers? Coming right up! This antepenultimate post on The Unexplained covers issues 129 to 137:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-129-137-e1350841952684.jpg

And a quick once-over the contents of each issue:

Issue 129
Eliphas Levi
Altantis in the Bahamas?
China's psychic children
The Thornton murders
'Invisible' UFOs
(The image is a magical design known as a Goetic circle used in infernal evocations - "the raising of the denizen's of hell to visible appearance". It accompanies an article that discusses whether famed ritual magician Eliphas Levi was all he was cracked up to be.)

Issue 130
Miracle cures
Secrets of the ancients
Where is everybody?
The road to Altantis?
Benson Herbert
(The image is the cover of the Spring 1942 issue of Planet Stories and accompanies the "Where is everybody?" article. The image can also be found on the Wikepedia entry for Planet Stories magazine:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Planet_stories_Spring_1942_cover.jpg

Issue 131
Search for ETI
Miracles of the Virgin
Regression: the facts
Great Lakes Triangle
The Ripper murders
(The image from this 1983 issue's cover is an artist's impression of a space telescope that may be used in the search for ETI - Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence. The Hubble Space Telescope had an original launch target of 1983 so maybe this painting was an early concept piece? Probably not, but it's still pretty cool.)

Issue 132
Talking to aliens
Ripper riddle - solved?
One man's earthquake
Life before life?
Croiset's critics
(The image is an etching of the discovery of Jack the Ripper's fifth victim. Here's the full picture:

http://lowres-picturecabinet.com.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/29/main/4/65594.jpg

Issue 133
Sex and psi
Masons, royalty and the Ripper
Lakes' legends: the facts
Gillan's grave
Andrija Puharich
(The image is an engraving from 1896 called Satana, by Fidus, which was the pseudonym used by German illustrator, painter and publisher Hugo Reinhold Karl Johann Höppener.)

Issue 134
UFOs from Ummo
Sex, sorcery and seances
Reincarnated twins
Joanna Southcott
Solectrics on test
(The image is detail from an 1814 cartoon entitled "Joanna Southcott the prophetess excommunicating the bishops". Here's a high-quality image of the whole piece from Yale University's website:

http://images.library.yale.edu/walpoleimages/dl/011000/lwlpr11806/lwlpr11806.jpg

Issue 135
News from Ummo
Amazing French poltergeist
Bloxham tapes debunked?
Observation theory
A new twist to PK
(The image accompanies an article regarding a series of extraordinary letters and phone calls received by a group of Madrid ufologists in 1967 from creatures who insisted they hailed from the planet Ummo. "A professor in the faculty of medicine at Madrid University allegedly received through the post a small cube that was smooth, black and metallic on all sides bar one; the remaining side had a translucent screen. Accompanying instructions told him to speak a certain sequence of vowels - upon which the little screen lit up, and the professor saw a live specimen of a nerve cell. It is said that the professor filmed the entire incident - but his name has been withheld and the whereabouts of the film unknown." Cool!)

Issue 136
Geller's guru
Betty and Barney's lost hours
Just a coincidence?
Changing the past
Southcott's saga
("The photograph [is] of an alleged UFO in mid-flight (jagged line on left) and a 'space being'". The photograph was taken by Andrija Puharich at Mill Hill, North London, on 24th May 1974. Believe me, the photo is no clearer in the magazine. It could be anything!)

Issue 137
Ummo: true or false?
St Joan: child of God?
Miracles of St Medard
Pursued by a poltergeist
Salem: the madness begins
(The image shows Joan of Arc riding into Orléans after the English withdrew. The accompanying article discusses the mysterious 'voices' that "impelled her inexorably towards her amazing military triumphs - and a martyr's death.")

Lucian Poll
10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Hi, bookworm. When I saw that particular photo I knew I had to include it here! Pop his name into Google images and you'll see some incredible images of other unfortunate people with the same (and sometimes more extreme) condition. And Halle Berry in a bikini top. Swear to God, I don't know how the internet works sometimes...

Anyway, here's a picture of how the lad looks following the surgery:

http://www.whatsonchengdu.com/news_images/4dae5659a4086_1.JPG

Joe315
10-27-2012, 04:29 AM
Google can give you some interesting results.

Joe315
10-27-2012, 04:33 AM
That reminds of an episode of a cartoon (Futurama) in which the main character falls in love with a mermaid but when he realized the way in which they would have relations (like a fish would, one releases eggs, they other, as the mermaid said, "fertilizer") he said, "Why couldn’t she be the other type of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the lady part on the bottom?!"

Thanks, bookworm. I still wouldn't like to find the Fejee mermaid nibbling my toes. The other mermaid, however... Anyway, before things get super-weird here's another cover!

Lucian Poll
10-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi, Joe. I've not seen Futurama for ages! Not since its return, anyway. I remember a similar gag in Family Guy, only with Lois smacking down a sexually-agressive merman and, being fish-top and man-bottom, it just flapping around on the floor uselessly. Now that's a show I'd kill to write for. I'd post my entire Family Guy box set collection here, but that's not really in keeping with a horror fiction forum! :D

Joe315
10-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I forgot about that episode. :D

Lucian Poll
10-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Evening all. Time for me to dip my toes into The Unexplained again, this time issues 138 to 146:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-138-146-e1350841969419.jpg

And here, in time-honoured fashion, is a look through the contents:

Issue 138
Shamanism
Haunted Penkaet Castle?
Peter Hurkos challenged
Joanna Southcott's box
Betty Hill's star map
(The image is detail from "a painting from the journals of Father Nicholas Point" from the article on shamanism. "It's caption reads: 'One becomes a medicine man only after making a pilgrimage during which he [sic] prays fervently, fasts from four to eight days, and eventually receives a "sign" from a bear, a red deer, a green ram, or perhaps even a monster.")

Issue 139
How old is man?
Saucers as scapegoats?
Salem's grim legacy
Psychic dentistry
St. Joan: witch?
(The image is from an article on the origins of man. It shows a reconstruction of "skull 1470" by Meave Leakey, which was found by her husband at Koobi Fora in Kenya. "The blue material does duty for missing parts of the fossil.")

Issue 140
Practical ufology
The soul and the shaman
Ghost of Ardachie Lodge
Miracle in Tibet
Teleportations
(Not a classic cover! The image shows "one of the many unidentified objects over Montserrat." This is the mountain district of Montserrat in Spain, not the Caribbean island that was nearly destroyed by a volcano in the mid-1990s.)

Issue 141
Life: a fine balance
UFOs: who's watching who?
Ancestral arguments
The Vandy mystery
End of Ardachie
(The image is detail from the frontispiece of a Lutheran bible of 1534 and fronts an article on those who reckon the Universe was created by an intelligent being for intelligent beings to live in: the anthropic principle. It's a philosophical debate I won't go into here, you'll be glad to hear. Instead here's the full image, which, while not my bag, is striking all the same:

http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/13/1345/WA2S000Z.jpg

Issue 142
The angels of Mons
Modern witchcraft exposed
Legend of Prester John
Isa Northage - medium
Neanderthals today?
(The image is from The Illustrated London News. "Patriotic Britons in the First World War, convinced that their cause was a righteous one, eagerly seized on news that their army had received supernatural aid from ghostly archers, angels - even St. George himself." Here's the full image:

http://marilynkaydennis.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/mediaeval-archers-ww2-e1322278881977.jpg

Issue 143
No angels at Mons?
Message from a drowned man?
UFOs: the great cover up?
Ghost of Fyvie Castle
Witches - and worse
(The image is a German illustration from 1555 of a witch being burnt at the stake. Goodness knows what is grabbing the other witch by the throat!)

Issue 144
Secret UFO files
The Schneider brothers
Ghost with wet boots
Prester John: found?
The dead speak out
(The image shows the Camperdown ramming the Victoria on 22 June 1893, as depicted by the French magazine Le Petit Journal. "The Admiral seemed a trifle absent-minded as he ordered his flagship to her doom. Was he also 'absent in spirit' - on a ghostly visit to his London home?")

Issue 145
Croglin vampire
Mons: who were the angels?
The mystery of mazes
English MIB threat
Birth and re-birth
(The image is an illustration from James Rymer's Varney the vampire, published in 1847.)

Issue 146
UFO picture gallery
Raymond Lodge returns
The Judge Hornby case
UFOs: an open secret?
The Schneider scandal
Can animals think?
(The image accompanies an article on animal intelligence. It is an 18th century illustration of a learned pig "well versed in all languages" and "a perfect Arithmetician, Mathematician and Composer of Musick". There were many learned pigs doing the rounds and they were mostly, if not all, owned by showmen - I reckon we can all imagine how these animals "learned" their craft...)

That's all for now. I'll post the final round of covers tomorrow.

Lucian Poll
10-28-2012, 06:33 PM
How do, everyone. This is it, the last of The Unexplained covers. These photos cover the issues 147 to 157, plus a few odds and ends to wrap things up:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-147-155-e1350841987764.jpg

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/unexplained-covers-156157-e1350842004493.jpg

And here is a rundown of the contents of each issue:

Issue 147
Pied Piper - fact?
Born to be psychic?
The inventor of psi
A dolphin's world
Mirabelli
(The image is of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. The illustration, along with a few others in the article, is taken from a 19th-century German book: Der Rattenfänger von Hameln. I love that word: Rättenfanger!)

Issue 148
Meaning of colour
Mazes: the inside story
The way of Subud
Freud and psi
Iridology
(The image accompanies an article on iridology - detecting illness through the markings in the iris. "A dark area and a separation of the fibres at the 'two o' clock' position in the iris of this right eye indicate an underactive thyroid gland. A 'lymphatic rosary' is also visible - a circle of patches near the outer edge of the iris, indicating congestion of the lymphatic system.")

Issue 149
Jung and psi
Who killed William Rufus?
American kangaroos
Dead soldier's tale
Bright beasts
(My photography skills fail me again, but, through the glare, the image shows a finch using a thorn to poke out a grub from a crevice in some tree bark. It "holds the thorn under once claw and eats the grub, then resumes its probing.")

Issue 150
Radionics
Pontefract's poltergeist
Livingston UFO terror
Princes in the Tower
The French prophet
(The image shows the Two Princes, a famous disappearance from the history books, as depicted in a 19th-century painting by Paul Delaroche.)

Issue 151
A female Pope?
Eugene Aram: innocent?
Zigmund Jan Adamski
More than mere pets
The miracle machine
(The image: "Pope Joan is delivered of a child in the midst of a papal procession in this 15th-century illustration from Boccaccio's Decameron." Pope Joan's papacy is believed to be between 855 and 858, though this is open to argument, as is the existence of Pope Joan herself. This made for an amusing question on a popular quiz show here in the UK called QI that revealed an unusual requirement of medieval Popes to sit on a special throne with a hole cut in the seat, so that a cardinal could put a hand through and check the pontiff for testicles. Again this is open to conjecture, but very funny nonetheless!)

Issue 152
Sacred geometry
Swedenborg's strange world
Edgar Allan Poe: murderer?
An answer to Livingston?
Roy - king of deceit
(The image is of Leonardo Da Vinci's iconic 'Vitruvian Man' from the article on sacred geometry.)

Issue 153
Magnetic people
Valentine Greatrakes - healer
Adamski: UFO drama
Sacred symbolism
World of fantasy
(The image is "a painting by a drug addict showing visions experienced as withdrawal symptoms" from an article that discusses people who live in a dream world all the time.)

Issue 154
Birth of the gods
The Western witch doctor
Pachita: psychic surgeon
The Campden wonder
A walk with death
(The image illustrates a young girl called Durdana's impression of God following a near-death experience. "When asked to describe what God looked like, she could only say 'blue'." I'm not sure where the flora comes into it, but there you go.)

Issue 155
The case for God
Faces from another world?
Krakatoa: a true story?
Twilight of the gods
Left and right brain
(The image is detail from a 17th-century painting by Peter Paul Rubens called Achilles Slays Hector. It accompanies an article on how we no longer see signs from gods and godesses - the twilight of the gods. Here's the full image:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Slays_Hector.jpg

Issue 156
The Oz factor
Reality: a Fortean view
The great psi debate
A healthy forecast?
Modern myths
(The image is a still from the 1939 film The Wizard Of Oz. The article discusses timelessness and a feeling of dislocation associated with close encounters with UFOs.)

And finally there is issue 157, which is an index of the entire 3 year run of The Unexplained. Beneath these issues you can see the glossy jacket that held issue 1, and the (folded up) poster that accompanied it. (The full poster is little more than a large advertisment.)

So that's it for this run of covers. Once again I must thank Partworks.co.uk for kindly including these loose covers with my purchase of these books. It was unexpected, beyond the call of duty and, above all, really appreciated.

I hope these covers have sparked interest in some of the topics covered. It's given me a few ideas for stories if nothing else!

bookworm 1
10-28-2012, 11:09 PM
That is great!!!!!! I also like the new posts very interesting stuff.You seem very detail oriented.Makes me kind of envyous.It also makes me want to hunt down some of those magazines.
Hi, bookworm. When I saw that particular photo I knew I had to include it here! Pop his name into Google images and you'll see some incredible images of other unfortunate people with the same (and sometimes more extreme) condition. And Halle Berry in a bikini top. Swear to God, I don't know how the internet works sometimes...

Anyway, here's a picture of how the lad looks following the surgery:hat is great!!!!

http://www.whatsonchengdu.com/news_images/4dae5659a4086_1.JPG

Lucian Poll
10-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks, bookworm. I loved that photo too. I thought I'd post a bit of detail on each issue as the images are currently hosted via my blog. It's a just-in-case measure. That and it was a lot of fun digging through the books and the internet for updates on the stories. You may have gathered I'm also a sucker for a good picture! :)

I'm glad I've tickled your interest in the magazines. I note there aren't too many doing the rounds on eBay.com but there are a number of copies of the Reader's Digest's "Mysteries of the Unexplained". While I can't say I'm a massive fan of Reader's Digest (it reminds me too much of waiting rooms) the "Mysteries of the Unexplained" book is flat-out brilliant. I'll post an image of my copy in due course, but there are some truly excellent stories in there. The account of the waxwork of Monsieur Léopold-Lépide at Turner's Waxwork Theatre damn near froze my blood when I first read it - I even read it out to my English class at school around Halloween time when I was a lot younger. (Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking too.) Great stuff!

Lucian Poll
01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Hello all! It's been a while since I've disgraced this corner of the forum, due largely to a farrago of NaNoWriMo, Cemetery Dance's submission window and that whole Christmas thing. I thought this time I'd put on a few piccies that I took around the same time as The Unexplained magazine covers, but never got off my phone 'til now.

So here's one I bought from the Apple bookstore the other month...

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/these-old-tails.jpg

I see this guy's going places! ;) :) :cool:

Lucian Poll
01-02-2013, 11:53 PM
...and a smashing collection that I've seen advertised in the latest issue of Cemetery Dance (#68):

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/ad-nauseam1-e1357172850714.jpg

It's not on Apple, but easily purchasable via Kindle. (Thanks for the accept for the Facebook group by the way, C.W. Very useful and some great names in there too! :) )

More pics to come. I'm trying to get hold of two fairly recent back issues of Black Static and then I'll put the whole run of covers on here with an index of stories. I hope that appeals!

All the best for 2013 in the meantime!

Lucian Poll
01-05-2013, 05:50 PM
As mentioned earlier, here is a brief run of covers for Black Static, the UK's premier horror fiction magazine. The bi-monthly magazine has been running since 2007 and follows a similar format to Cemetery Dance, with around half a dozen stories in each issue along with book/DVD reviews, interviews and commentaries. A special mention must go to the artwork, though, as the standard is often of a high standard.

Okay, so here is a snap of issues 1 to 6 and a list of stories you can find inside.

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/black-static-1-6.jpg

Issue 1
Bury The Carnival by Simon Avery
Pale Saints And Dark Madonnas by Jamie Barras
Acton Undream by Daniel Bennett
Votary by M. K. Hobson
My Stone Desire by Joel Lane
Lady Of The Crows by Tim Casson
Includes Q&A with Michael Marshall Smith

Issue 2
In the Hole by Lisa Tuttle and Steven Utley
The Serpent & The Hatchet Gang by F. Brett Cox
Must See To Appreciate by Scott Nicholson
Unknown by Steve Rasnic Tem
In The Shape Of A Dragon by Melanie Fazi
Ash-Mouth by Lynda E. Rucker
Holding Pattern by Andrew Humphrey
Includes article on Mick Scully

Issue 3 (My favourite cover!)
The Pit by Alexander Glass
The Mist of Lichthafen by Seth Skorkowsky
The Sentinels by Tony Richards
The Difference Between by Ian R. Faulkner
The Morning After by Carole Johnstone
The Fantasy Jumper by Will McIntosh
The Toad And I by Matthew Holness
Includes Q&A with Sarah Langan

Issue 4
Cleaning The Western Kittiwake by Tyler Keevil
Atwater by Cody Goodfellow
Zombie by Conrad Williams
Salt by Nicholas Royle
Ye Shall Eat In Haste by Steve Nagy
This Much I Remember by Barry Fishler
Includes a Q&A with Conrad Williams

Issue 5
How Deep Is His Loneliness by Kathleen Winter
The Second Death Of Johan Klupe by Tim Casson
Night Game by Tony Richards
The Rising River by Daniel Kaysen
Winter Journey by Joel Lane
Slap by Gary McMahon
Less A Dream Than This We Know by Christopher M. Cevasco
Includes a Q&A with Jack Ketchum

Issue 6
The Better Part Of You by Simon Avery
Back On The Road by Melanie Fazi
Special Needs by Peter Tennant
En Saga by Nina Allen
All Mouth by Paul Meloy
Viva Las Vegas by Ray Cluley
Includes Q&A with Scott Sigler

bookworm 1
01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Nice adds.

Martin
01-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Those Black Static covers are beautiful!

peteOcha
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Cool stuff! Great choice of ebooks by the way. :)

Lucian Poll
01-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys. Here is another round of Black Static covers for you, and a list of stories within each issue for anyone interested.

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/black-static-7-12.jpg

Issue 7
The Reason For The Season by Bruce Holland Rogers
The Hodag by Trent Hergenrader
Blood God Blood by Eric Gregory
The Talent Girl by Daniel Kaysen
Pages From A Broken Book by Tony Richards
The Deep Walker by Alison J. Littlewood
Bait by David Sakmyster
Includes Q&A with Tim Lebbon

Issue 8
At The Gates by Patrick Samphire
These Things We Have Always Known by Lynda E. Rucker
Noppero-bo by Steve Rasnic Tem
There's Something Wrong With Pappy by James Cooper
The Book Of Ruth by Steven Pirie
Taking on Life by Gary Fry
Includes Q&A with Simon Clark

Issue 9 (Another brilliant cover!)
The Lonely Heart by Aliette De Bodard
The Plain by Tim Lees
Haunt-Type Experience by Roz Clarke
The Pain Of Blue Eyes by Daniel Kaysen
Changeling by Al Robertson
Fear by Stephen Volk
Includes Q&A with Tony Richards

Issue 10
Piano Man by Christopher Fowler
The Chair by Gary McMahon
Washer Woman by Scott Lambridis
Vic by Maura McHugh
Because Your Blood Is Darker Than Mine by James Cooper
Eastlick by Shannon Page
Includes Q&A with Thomas Ligotti

Issue 11
De Profundis by Al Robertson
None Had Sharp Teeth by Will McIntosh
The Likeness by Lawrence Conquest
Served Cold by Gary Couzens
Off With The Furies by Daniel Kaysen
Red Ribbons by Stephanie Briggs
Includes Q&A with Steve Mosby

Issue 12
My Brother's Keeper by Nina Allan
Bryson Feeds Families by T. F. Davenport
Flatrock Sunners by Sarah Totton
Stone Whispers by Tim Casson
Charles by Steve Rasnic Tem
Unearthed by Kim Lakin-Smith
Includes Q&A with Gary A. Braunbeck

I'll be back shortly with some more. In the meantime it's back to the NaNo novel as I'm still owing 1500 words for the day!

TTFN.

bookworm 1
01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Some of those covers are real creepy.Love them.

TJCams
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Black Static series looks awesome!

And....some of those "Unexplained" posts from earlier - some of the pics you extracted and posted remind me so much of a book I had when I was a kid (lat '70's early '80s), that was about "monsters" - and touched on stuff like yeti, kraken (not the black rum), etc.

peteOcha
01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Great covers indeed!

Lucian Poll
01-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks again, guys. I'm glad you're enjoying the Black Static covers. There are a couple of humdingers in this post too, specfically issues #13 and #14. (I'd also recommend checking out covers from past issues of their sister magazine Interzone. Some of them are simply stunning.)

I'm also glad to have given you a few flashbacks, TJ. Putting The Unexplained posts together was a lot of fun and something of a trip down memory lane for me too! In fact parts of it influenced my Cemetery Dance submission, Flood Warning. (Keep them fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed for me, folks!)

Okay, I've hit 60K on the NaNo novel so I think I'll wind down with a few more covers, this time #13 - #18:

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/black-static-13-18.jpg

Issue 13
Cuckoos by Tim Lees
The Shadow Keeper by Kim Lakin-Smith
Dead Loss by Carole Johnstone
Some Of Them Fell by Joel Lane
My Secret Children by James Cooper
Includes Q&A with Joel Lane

Issue 14
We, Who Live In The Wood by Paul Finch
The Eleventh Day by Christopher Fowler
Hootchie Cootchie Man by Maurice Broaddus
Survivor's Guilt by Roseanne Rabinowitz
Teen Spirit by Gary McMahon
Includes Q&A with Gary McMahon

Issue 15
Eight Small Men by James Cooper
The Knitted Child by Simon Kurt Unsworth
Maximum Darkness by Alan Scott Laney
Babylon's Burning by Daniel Kaysen
Death By Water by Sarah Singleton
Includes Q&A with Alexandra Sokoloff

Issue 16
The Overseer by Tim Casson
Extreme Latitude by M. G. Preston
One Last Wild Waltz by Mike O'Driscoll
The Empty Spaces by Alison J. Littlewood
The Moon Will Look Strange by Lynda E. Rucker
Includes Q&A with Sarah Pinborough

Issue 17
Zombie Cabana Boy by Suzanne Palmer
Three-Legged Bird by Vylar Kaftan
The Lady In Tigris by Daniel Kaysen
Faces In Walls by John Shirley
+ 10 winning flash fiction stories from Christopher Fowler & Maura McHugh's Campaign For Real Fear
Includes Q&A with John Connolly

Issue 18
Orinoco by Nina Allan
Between A Rock And A Hard Place by Carole Johnstone
A Man Of Ice And Sorrow by Simon Jurt Unsworth
The Obscure Bird by Nicholas Royle
Tu Sufrimiento Shall Protect Us by Mercurio D. Riviera
+ 10 more winning flash fiction stories from the Campagin For Real Fear
Includes Q&A with Adam Nevill

If any of the issues pique your interest you might like to know that many of them are still available from Black Static's website: http://ttapress.com/blackstatic/backissues/ or from BBR Online: http://www.bbr-online.co.uk/catalogue/Items/BlackStatic.shtml.

I shall return with some more covers soon. Laters!

Lucian Poll
01-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Okay, peeps, here are the last set of Black Static covers for a little while as I'm waiting for two back issues to arrive. These covers aren't quite as dynamic as the previous 18, opting instead to show a sliver of artwork found in the magazine, but as all good horror stories will tell you it's what's inside that matters. ;)

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/black-static-19-24.jpg

Issue 19
They Will Not Rest by Simon Clark
Chain Reaction by Steve Rasnic Tem
The Sleep Mask by Joel Lane
Beachcombing by Ray Cluley
The Wound Dresser by Lavie Tidhar
Includes Q&A with Stephen Jones

Issue 20
The Compartments Of Hell by Paul Meloy and Sarah Pinborough
Going Home, Ugly Stick In Hand by Nate Southard
The Covered Doll by Norman Prentiss
The Wounded House by Barbara A. Barnett
At Night, When The Demons Come by Ray Cluley

Issue 21
Ulterior Design by V. H. Leslie
Pins And Needles by Ray Cluley
Water by Maura McHugh
Extraneous Invokat by Ed Grabianowski
Cushing by James Cooper
Includes Q&A with Angela Slatter

Issue 22
The Salt of Eliza by Alan Wall
Durgen's Party by Tim Lees
Black Feathers by Alison J. Littlewood
This Is Mary's Moon by Steven Pirie
Child by Simon Kurt Unsworth
Includes Q&As with Steven Pirie and Tim Lees

Issue 23
Time Keeping by V. H. Leslie
For Their Own Ends by Joel Lane
Electric Dreams by Carole Johnstone
Hail by Daniel Kaysen
The Harvesting Of Jackson Cade by Robert Davies
Includes Q&A with Tom Fletcher

Issue 24
Recently Used by Ramsey Campbell
Dermot by Simon Bestwick
How The Sixties Ended by Tim Lees
Still Life by Simon McLaffery
A Summer's Day by K. Harding Stalter
Includes Q&A with Kaaron Warren

bookworm 1
01-11-2013, 01:33 AM
#15 and #18 both are rather disturbing to me more then the others.Very nice additions.

Lucian Poll
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Sorry, guys, I've not updated this in a while. Here are a couple of posts that bring the Black Static covers up to date. Hopefully I'll have issue 33 slapping my doormat tomorrow. :)

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/black-static-25-28.jpg

Issue 25
About The Dark by Alison Littlewood
The Curtain Parts by Christopher Fowler
The Travellers Stay by Ray Cluley
Best. Summer. Ever. by Nathaniel Tapley
The Holy Spear by Barbara A. Barnett
Includes Q&A with D.F. Lewis

Issue 26
I Have Heard The Mermaids Singing by Ray Cluley
Remains by Gary McMahon
The Demon Laplace by Mark Rigney
The Monster of Venice by Carole Johnstone
Dizzy Land by Andrew Hook

Issue 27
The Churn by Simon Bestwick
Empty Of Words, The Page by Gord Sellar
The Little Things by Jacob Ruby
Family Tree by V. H. Leslie
Cuckoo Spit by Stephen Bacon
Includes Q&A with Alison Littlewood

Issue 28
The Pest House by Carole Johnstone
Cracks by Jon Ingold
The Ballad Of Boomtown by Priya Sharma
The Messenger by Joel Lane
Pale Limbs by Daniel Kaysen
Includes Q&A with Christopher Fowler

Lucian Poll
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
And a piccy for issues 29-32. A smaller format, but a cool redesign and some really excellent covers courtesy of Ben Baldwin and Richard Wagner.

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/black-static-29-32-e1363638842479.jpg

Issue 29
Sunshine by Nina Allan
Horseman by Renee Carter Hall
Chodpa by Baph Tripp
Shark! Shark! by Ray Cluley
The Counterweight by Tim Lees
Includes Q&A with Nicholas Royle

Issue 30
The Pig Farm by James Cooper
All Change by Ray Cluley
The Wayside Voices by Daniel Mills
Recurrence by Susan Kim
Sometimes I Get A Good Feeling by Carole Johnstone
The Orphan And The Bad, Bad Monkey by David Kortok

Issue 31
Barbary by Jackson Kuhl
Sister by Sean Padraic Birnie
The Perils Of War According To The Common People Of Hansom Street by Steven Pirie
The Things That Get You Through by Steven J. Dines
Skein And Bone by V. H. Leslie
Two Houses Away by James Cooper

Issue 32
The Withering by Tim Casson
Love As Deep As Bones by Ilan Lerman
The Death Drive Of Rita, Nee Carina by Ray Cluley
The Anatomist's Mnemonic by Prima Sharma
Black Sun by Drew Rhys White
What Do We Talk About When We Talk About Z------ by Lavie Tidhar
Bedtime Story by Steve Rasnic Tem
Includes Q&A with Steve Rasnic Tem

I've also been buying most every genre fiction book I can find in Waterstones lately, and a few others besides. I'll post a few in due course.

I'm also attending this year's World Fantasy Convention, so will hopefully have some cool autographed copies to flaunt.

Lucian Poll
03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
(Towards the end of the year, that is!)

Lucian Poll
08-03-2013, 05:02 PM
So with the World Fantasy Convention less than three months away, let's have a butchers at my signing pile, shall we?

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/wfc_books_001.jpg

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/wfc_books_002.jpg

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/wfc_books_003.jpg

At this rate I'll need to book a second hotel room...

Lucian Poll
08-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Oh, lordy. Then there's this little lot...

http://lucianpoll.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/wfc_books_004.jpg

Ben Staad
08-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Great looking additions. I love (love, love, love) the cover for Echo City.

peteOcha
08-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Echo City does have an awesome cover! Is that HC or PB?

And nice pile! Would looooooooove to get a signature from China and Joe!!!

Lucian Poll
08-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like them. They're all paperbacks save for the rather domineering NOS4R2. I have to agree, Echo City has a very striking cover. I found Coldbrook another one that leapt from the shelves.

I'll be sure to flaunt the title pages of any copies I get signed on this here thread. :) If you can stomach what would be the literary equivalent of holiday snaps, I may even post a few scenes from the con.

Lincoln
08-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Nice to see another Adam Nevill fan, Lucian. I recently read 'The Ritual', and I'm 3/4 of the way through 'Last Days'. 'Apartment 16' is on it's way to me, and should land next week.
I've only read a couple of shorts by Sarah Pinborough, but I really like her style.

srboone
08-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Nice editions. Especially love the Mievilles, though I don't care for those particular covers.

Lucian Poll
08-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks, guys.

I'm quite the opposite on the Nevills, Lincoln, in that I've got 'Last Days' and 'The Ritual' on my TBR pile! The Dog-Faced Gods trilogy has a lot of things going for it - books two and three are great page-turners, and there is a real sense of closure to the trilogy - but there were a few big things I had to turn a blind-eye to. I'm composing a review for my Goodreads page/blog, but at the moment it's comparable in length to the books themselves.

I agree, Squire, the Mieville covers are a little ho-hum front on. They don't show on the picture I took, but the spines of each book are a vibrant shade of whatever colour is used on the front, which is quite eyecatching when placed on a bookshelf.

bookworm 1
08-05-2013, 03:20 AM
If you don't post pictures from the con we will be upset... so please post a few. Love the books hope to see them again soon 'll signed.
Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like them. They're all paperbacks save for the rather domineering NOS4R2. I have to agree, Echo City has a very striking cover. I found Coldbrook another one that leapt from the shelves.

I'll be sure to flaunt the title pages of any copies I get signed on this here thread. :) If you can stomach what would be the literary equivalent of holiday snaps, I may even post a few scenes from the con.

TJCams
08-06-2013, 06:35 PM
I too love the Echo City cover. Enjoy the convention - I hope to get to one one of these days.

Lucian Poll
08-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Thanks, guys. This'll be my first con - I hope not my last. Either way, my credit card hates me in advance! :)

Lucian Poll
09-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Just to prove I too saw the same thing in my CD #70 as Squire... (looks innocently left and right!)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUrRjS-CAAE0wci.jpg

Anyhoo, shameless salesmanship aside, here's a pic of some recent buys from a local second-hand bookstore. I keep forgetting the kinds of treasure one can unearth in such places. For example, I picked up these hardbacks for less than the RRP of Doctor Sleep:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUr7cb7CMAAa7_S.jpg

But here's the thing. There were two hardback editions of Odd Thomas in the shop. One of comparable size to the latter-day Kings you see on the bottom row, and the smaller edition you see in the picture. The reason I picked the smaller hardback was because of this curio I spotted on the copyright page:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUr8-fZCIAAtNHn.jpg

I can't honestly say I've seen other cases of books being published before they are copyrighted. I'm guessing it's a pre-emptive strike, or perhaps an edition that was published close to the year-end. There is, of course, a Tardis-related explanation, I'm sure. Can any of the seasoned collectors shed any light?

(Images are sourced from my Twitter feed. If they vanish let me know and I'll try to reinstate.)

srboone
09-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Sure, blame the Doctor! It's all his fault! (Actually, I believe Dr. Sam Beckett might be responsible, though...)

peteOcha
09-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Very nice adds Lucian, especially all the Uncle Steves... can never have too many of those! :)

bookworm 1
09-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Nice additions.

TJCams
09-30-2013, 07:58 PM
I really like the cover art on The Dark Half.

I too recently discovered the many possibilities for books at one of my local second hand shops. One had lots of King, Koontz, Saul books. Most were pb's, and didn't grab any, as I didn't have any spare cash. I did say a very good condition, 1st ed, of either Delores Clairborne, or Duma Key - I can't remember now.

Lucian Poll
09-30-2013, 08:48 PM
I quite like the INTENSEAUTHORCLOSEUP photo on the back of The Dark Half.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/The_Dark_Half_rear.jpg

It's like he's about to bite your right hand off if you so much as dare open the book.

Anyhoo, a quick nip into a charity shop near where I work yielded these latter-day Uncle Steves, collectively purchased for less than the price of a pint:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVPrNB4IIAE9SAw.jpg

The Kingage didn't stop there either. The next day I managed to procure four mid-term Kings, each seemingly first edition hardbacks, at another charity shop. They probably don't count for much in collectibility terms when the first print run spans approximately fourteen gazillion copies, but it was still a pretty cool find. Pics to follow.

Lucian Poll
09-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Also, a crafty shufti at my copy of Duma Key reveals it to be a UK first edition. Again, one of fourteen gazillion copies, but still nice to see.

bookworm 1
09-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Nice indeed.:cool:

TJCams
10-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Nice! I may go back and see if that second hand store still has those few books this weekend.

Lucian Poll
10-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Back once again with some more hardback horror yielded from the second-hand bookshops and charity shops of Norwich:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXkyHDMIIAA5lyR.jpg

Shadow Land is a UK first edition, though has seen its price snipped from the dust cover. The copy of Portent cost me less than a loaf of bread. Astonishing, though, then again, it's far from Herbert's best. No sooner had I bought Portent than I unearthed a larger format copy of the book in another shop, interestingly without a copyright page. (I couldn't see it had been ripped out.)

Lucian Poll
10-27-2013, 05:27 PM
And here are those mid-term Uncle Steve's I promised earlier:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXkytrACQAACjFh.jpg

Can you spot the US copy? :D

Lucian Poll
10-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Then I kind of went overboard with the Kings:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXkzRztIcAAx_Le.jpg

None of the books were any more expensive than Doctor Sleep, but, still, some were a step up from charity shop prices! I might have to plough through these Kings as a Goodreads challenge next year. I don't know how many I'd get through before craving another author, though!

peteOcha
10-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Rose Madder?

And nice haul!

T-Dogz_AK47
10-27-2013, 08:26 PM

Rose Madder is definitely the US copy. That is the Viking press 1995 first edition cover. :) ;)

Nice haul by the way!!! :cool:

Lucian Poll
10-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks, guys. A quick shufti of the copyright page indeed reveals Rose Madder to be a US first edition. Cover price $25.95 (18 years ago). Purchased for £2. Again it'll be one of a squillion copies but still... £2!

bookworm 1
10-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Love those books. Love library sales .

Theli
10-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Nice grabs for a good price. I stocked up on SK hard covers at a book sale not that long ago, got a lot of first editions too.

TJCams
10-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Next time I pop into the local Value Village I will browse the books again - had some like that last time, but never grabbed them.

Lucian Poll
10-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Having gotten a load of books on the cheap of late, fate goes and slaps this bad boy in my way. How could I possibly resist?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXxo3VbIYAAMz9x.jpg

Now the question is, do I break that seal and get a second copy for keepsies? :D

T-Dogz_AK47
10-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Now that is an existential dilemma... :p

Joe315
10-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Having gotten a load of books on the cheap of late, fate goes and slaps this bad boy in my way. How could I possibly resist?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXxo3VbIYAAMz9x.jpg

Now the question is, do I break that seal and get a second copy for keepsies? :D

Nice, I just remembered I have this on order from Amazon. I may get a second to break the seal. Not sure yet though.

Lucian Poll
10-29-2013, 11:17 PM
:) The bookshop had a copy already opened - I was hooked. It instantly reminded me of House of Leaves with all the scribbled notes in the margins, although I am assured it's not as messed up. (Pity.) The seal is there for good reason too, as the book is jam-packed with postcards, posters, charts and other little inserts. I can imagine many a browser spilling them all over the place (or nicking them).

But it does mean spoiling the thing to get at it. Cunning ploy for buying a second copy!

srboone
10-30-2013, 03:12 AM
Get a second copy.

Theli
10-30-2013, 03:16 AM
What book is that Lucian? If it is at all like House of Leaves I will want to look into it, it's one of my all time favourite books.

Joe315
10-30-2013, 05:18 AM
Get a second copy.

Done and done.

Highbury
10-30-2013, 10:54 AM
I just got my copy in today and noticed the seal, think i'll have to get a second copy. Had no idea about all the loose stuff, I hope this doesn't turn into a big scattered puzzle versus just a book.

TJCams
10-30-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm curious as to the title/author of this one too.

Joe315
10-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Its S. by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst.

Joe315
10-31-2013, 12:26 AM
I picked up S. today along with an additional copy. I will take picks later and post them in my thread.

srboone
10-31-2013, 02:38 AM
Had never heard of it til these postings. Looks interesting.

Theli
10-31-2013, 05:25 AM
I agree, but I am not a huge Abrams fan.

srboone
10-31-2013, 05:38 AM
...but I am not a huge Abrams fan.

Which is why I'd never heard of it. I don't search out his stuff.

Lucian Poll
10-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Sorry for the delay. I'm at WFC looking around the place like a starstruck puppy. :)

I had no idea about S. until I saw it on the shelves on release day. The guy in the shop was keen to show it to everyone. My immediate thought, other than how cool it looked, was how much of a pain it must have been to put the thing together! I'll tear into my copy when I get home.

srboone
10-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Pop in with a play-by-play and maybe a few photos every now and again and let us know how it's goin LP! Have fun.

bookworm 1
11-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Seems to be popular. Getting the second copy.Pretty smart on the publishers part.
Get a second copy.

Lucian Poll
11-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Okay, I'm back from WFC. I had an awesome time once I got over the initial "Holy shit! What am I doing here?!" factor. I don't have many pictures from the con itself as my iPhone didn't capture that much detail. I might cheat and link to photos of the stuff I attended. ;)

That said I did get a couple of good ones, and a good deal of stuff signed too. And - ahem - a further smattering of hardback horror. (I'll post pics when daylight returns to Norwich.)

In the meantime here are a couple of photos I tweeted which turned out well. First up, Tim Lebbon, who was a really nice fella. Here he is during the mass signing, giving Coldbrook what for:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYBCtZVIQAAP6kI.jpg

In the overflow room next door a certain Mr Gaiman had rocked up:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYBBVQfIQAAAug-.jpg

His attendance was perhaps the best kept secret in the run-up to the convention. It also meant that I hadn't brought anything to sign, including my recently-purchased Sandman Omnibus Vol 1. I figured autographing my eyelids would have been a bit odd. It was still pretty damn cool seeing him about the place during the weekend.

And then, when I asked a certain someone to autograph a couple of Grave Tales I had brought along, this happened:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYA_-9OIIAIku8n.jpg

Convention = made! :) :) :) :) :)

TJCams
11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Fantastic!!!!!!! That's worth it there itself.

Dan Hocker
11-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Okay, I'm back from WFC. I had an awesome time once I got over the initial "Holy shit! What am I doing here?!" factor. I don't have many pictures from the con itself as my iPhone didn't capture that much detail. I might cheat and link to photos of the stuff I attended. ;)

That said I did get a couple of good ones, and a good deal of stuff signed too. And - ahem - a further smattering of hardback horror. (I'll post pics when daylight returns to Norwich.)

In the meantime here are a couple of photos I tweeted which turned out well. First up, Tim Lebbon, who was a really nice fella. Here he is during the mass signing, giving Coldbrook what for:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYBCtZVIQAAP6kI.jpg

In the overflow room next door a certain Mr Gaiman had rocked up:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYBBVQfIQAAAug-.jpg

His attendance was perhaps the best kept secret in the run-up to the convention. It also meant that I hadn't brought anything to sign, including my recently-purchased Sandman Omnibus Vol 1. I figured autographing my eyelids would have been a bit odd. It was still pretty damn cool seeing him about the place during the weekend.

And then, when I asked a certain someone to autograph a couple of Grave Tales I had brought along, this happened:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYA_-9OIIAIku8n.jpg

Convention = made! :) :) :) :) :)

Nice!

bookworm 1
11-05-2013, 10:14 PM
And he is wearing a Ray Bradbury t-shirt. Way cool.

Theli
11-06-2013, 02:11 AM
Nice pics, Poll! Looks like you had a good time!

srboone
11-06-2013, 02:56 AM
Hope the WFC was a success for you, LP! Looks like you had a great time.

T-Dogz_AK47
11-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Really envious of you right now, I really, really wanted to attend the WFC this year but couldn't get time off from work. :(

Glad you had a fantastic time though, it must have been an awesome event. :) :cool:

peteOcha
11-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Wow, awesome! Great pics!

Lucian Poll
11-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone. It was my first con and I'm tempted to attend a few more. (I'm seriously eyeing WHC 2014 as I've not left Blighty for over ten years and I can fly out from Norwich. Anyone going?)

When I look back it was incredible the sheer number of authors in attendance, and a good deal of names from the horror field too. I could namedrop but, in truth, you are best to see the membership list on the WFC2013 website. Just incredible! It's a crying shame the crap the organisers took across Twitter, Facebook and a million and one blogs in the run-up to the event has seemingly put them off bidding for another in the future. I hope they reconsider.

Lucian Poll
11-07-2013, 12:30 AM
In other news, I got a second copy of S. :)

Lucian Poll
03-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Holy crap, it's March already! Where have the last three months gone? (Looks at work/life balance...) Oh. That.

Anyway, given that we're enjoying the first decent weekend here in the UK for nearly four months, I thought I'd take the opportunity to snap one's collection of Uncle Steves with the assistance of Actual Daylight. I've already stuck pics on here of some of these, but have since gone on to plug a number of gaps...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiSiaNWIMAAXo4H.jpg

...okay, I went a bit mad.

bookworm 1
03-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Just a bit.:p.Great collection of books.

Theli
03-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Very killer King collection!

Lucian Poll
03-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks! I'll look towards plugging some more gaps while luxuriating in this little number...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiEjPP2IAAEcqWT.jpg

slayn666
03-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Nice! I'd love to get my hands on just a US 1st/1st.

bsaenz24
03-11-2014, 03:43 AM
Nice! I'd love to get my hands on just a US 1st/1st.

I actually discovered Rothfuss before his first book came out. I have the US ARC of Name. I've seen his site list one for $800 one time. Just for the ARC! Crazy!!

srboone
03-11-2014, 11:46 AM
...a little madness now and then
Is cherished by the wisest men...

But how mad can you be, LP? I mean, they're Kings!!!:cool:

rusty23
03-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks! I'll look towards plugging some more gaps while luxuriating in this little number...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiEjPP2IAAEcqWT.jpg

I loved this book!!

Lucian Poll
05-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Christ, another two months slip away! I'll be drawing my pension next week at this rate.

Anyhoo, I've recently opened a Flickr account to house my book porn. Let's see if I can link to the photos on there, or whether I make a right Henry Halls of it. :)

If I've gotten this right, and to celebrate Stephen Jones' lifetime achievement award at WHC2014 this weekend, below there should be a panoramic family photo of all 24 volumes of Best New Horror:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5231/13964080199_ed395e3133_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964080199/)
Best New Horror: a family photo of volumes 1-24 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964080199/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

bookworm 1
05-10-2014, 09:02 PM
That is one amazing collection. Me want those.

Lucian Poll
05-10-2014, 09:14 PM
In time-honoured fashion, here are the covers for the first six volumes of Best New Horror and a run-down of the stories you'll find in each one.

Any favourites stand out for you?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/14150777695_ab3c5e2a39.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14150777695/)
Best New Horror: Volumes 1-6 covers. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14150777695/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Best New Horror Volume 1(1990)
Pin by Robert R. McCammon
The House on Cemetery Street by Cherry Wilder
The Horn by Stephen Gallagher
Breaking Up by Alex Quiroba
If It Helps You Sing by Ramsey Campbell
Closed Circuit by Laurence Staig
Carnal House by Steve Rasnic Tem
Twitch Technicolor by Kim Newman
Lizaveta by Gregory Frost
Snow Cancellations by Donald R. Burleson
Archway by Nicholas Royle
The Strange Design of Master Rignolo by Thomas Ligotti
...To Feel Another's Woe by Chet Williamson
The Last Day of Miss Dorinda Molyneaux by Robert Westall
No Sharks In The Med by Brian Lumley
Mort au Monde by D. F. Lewis
Blanca by Thomas Tessier
The Eye of the Ayatollah by Ian Watson
At First Just Ghostly by Karl Edward Wagner
Bad News by Richard Laymon

Best New Horror Volume 2 (1991)
The First Time by K. W. Jeter
A Short Guide to the City by Peter Straub
Stephen by Elizabeth Massie
The Dead Love You by Jonathan Carroll
Jane Doe #112 by Harlan Ellison
Shock Radio by Ray Garton
The Man Who Drew Cats by Michael Marshall Smith
The Co-Op by Melanie Tem
Negatives by Nicholas Royle
The Last Feast of Harlequin by Thomas Ligotti
1/72nd Sale by Ian R. MacLeod
Cedar Lane by Karl Edward Wagner
At a Window Facing East by Kim Antieau
Inside the Walled City by Garry Kilworth
On The Wing by Jean-Daniel Breque
Firebird by J. L. Comeau
Incident on a Rainy Night in Beverly Hills by David J. Schow
His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood by Poppy Z. Brite
The Original Dr Shade by Kim Newman
Madge by D. F. Lewis
Alive in Venice by Cherry Wilder
Divertimento by Gregory Frost
Pelts by F. Paul Wilson
Those of Rhenea by David Sutton
Lord of the Land by Gene Wolfe
Aquarium by Steve Rasnic Tem
Mister Ice Cold by Gahan Wilson
On The Town Route by Elizabeth Hand

Best New Horror Volume 3 (1992)
True Love by K. W. Jeter
The Same in Any Language by Ramsey Campbell
Impermanent Mercies by Kathe Koja
Ma Qui by Alan Brennert
The Miracle Mile by Robert R. McCammon
Taking Down the Tree by Steve Rasnic Tem
Where Flies Are Born by Douglas Clegg
Love, Death and the Maiden by Roger Johnson
Chui Chai by S. P. Somtow
The Snow Sculptures of Xanadu by Kim Newman
Colder Than Hell by Edward Bryant
Raymond by Nancy A. Collins
One Life, in an Hourglass by Charles L. Grant
The Braille Encyclopaedia by Grant Morrison
The Bacchae by Elizabeth Hand
Busted in Buttown by David J. Schow
Subway Story by Russell Flinn
The Medusa by Thomas Ligotti
Power Cut by Joel Lane
Moving Out by Nicholas Royle
Guignoir by Norman Partridge
Blood Sky by William F. Nolan
Ready by David Starkey
The Slug by Karl Edward Wagner
The Dark Land by Michael Marshall Smith
When They Gave Us Memory by Dennis Etchinson
Taking Care Of Michael by J. L. Comeau
The Dreams of Dr Ladybank by Thomas Tessier
Zits by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Best New Horror Volume 4 (1993)
The Suicide Artist by Scott Edelman
Dancing on a Blade of Dreams by Roberta Lannes
The Departed by Clive Barker
How to Get Ahead in New York by Poppy Z. Brite
They Take by John Brunner
Replacements by Lisa Tuttle
Under the Pylon by Graham Joyce
The Glamour by Thomas Ligotti
Under the Ice by John Gordon
And Some Are Missing by Joel Lane
The Little Green Ones by Les Daniels
Mirror Man by Steve Rasnic Tem
Moth Music by Sarah Ash
Did They Get You to Trade? by Karl Edward Wagner
Night Shift Sister by Nicholas Royle
The Dead by Simon Ings & M. John Harrison
Norman Wisdom and the Angel of Death by Christopher Fowler
Red Reign by Kim Newman
Aviatrix by Peter Atkins
Snodgrass by Ian R. MacLeod
The Day of the Sharks by Kate Wilhelm
Anima by M. John Harrison
Bright Lights, Big Zombie by Douglas E. Winter
The Ghost Village by Peter Straub

Best New Horror Volume 5 (1994)
Later by Michael Marshall Smith
When the Red Storm Comes by Sarah Smith
The Exhibit by Martin Plumbridge
Leavings by Kathe Koja
Human Remains by Edward Bryant
Flying into Naples by Nicholas Royle
The Sixth Sentinel by Poppy Z. Brite
The Brothers by Rick Cadger
The Owen Street Monster by J. L. Comeau
One Size Eats All by T. E. D. Klein
Mulligan's Fence by Donald R. Burleson
How She Dances by Daniel Fox
Passages by Karl Edward Wagner
Easing The Spring by Sally Roberts Jones
Safe at Home by Steve Rasnic Tem & Melanie Tem
Mother of the City by Christopher Fowler
Justice by Elizabeth Hand
The Big Fish by Kim Newman
In the Desert of Deserts by Thomas Tessier
Two Returns by Terry Lamsley
The Moment the Face Falls by Chet Williamson
Darker Angels by S. P. Somtow
The Timbrel Sound of Darkness by Kathe Koja & Barry N. Malzberg
The Tsalal by Thomas Ligotti
In the Still, Small Hours by Charles Grant
Ice House Pond by Steve Rasnic Tem
The Dog Park by Dennis Etchinson
The Marble Boy by Gahan Wilson
Mefisto in Onyx by Harlan Ellison

Best New Horror Volume 6 (1995)
Dead Babies by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Sensible City by Harlan Ellison
Blade and Bone by Terry Lamsley
Harvest by Norman Partridge
Sometimes, in the Rain by Charles Grant
Menage a Trois by Richard Christian Matheson
Like Shattered Stone by Joel Lane
Black Sun by Douglas E. Winter
Isabel Avens Returns to Stepney in the Spring by M. John Harrison
The Dead Orchards by Ian MacLeod
What Happened When Mosby Paulson Had Her Painting Reproduced on the Cover of the Phone Book by Elizabeth Massie
The Alternative by Ramsey Campbell
In The Middle of a Snow Dream by Karl Edward Wagner
The Temptation of Dr Stein by Paul J. McAuley
Wayang Kulit by Garry Kilworth
The Scent of Vinegar by Robert Bloch
The Homecoming by Nicholas Royle
The Singular Habits of Wasps by Geoffrey A. Landis
To Receive is Better by Michael Marshall Smith
The Alchemy of the Throat by Brian Hodge
Out of the Night, When the Full Moon is Bright... by Kim Newman
Lovers by Esther M. Friesner

slayn666
05-10-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm working on building up my collection for that series.

Lucian Poll
05-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks, Tom! :)

Good luck, slayn. I hope you get them all. :) I scoured World of Books, Amazon's second-hand market and eBay for most of my copies. AbeBooks seems to have a few too. It took a while (and there are a few damaged/ex-library copies in amongst them - the perils of buying sight-unseen) but it's good to have a full set to dip into.

To continue, here are the covers from volumes 7-12 along with the stories you can find inside:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7424/13964153509_fd197bec2c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964153509/)
Best New Horror: Volumes 7-12 covers. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964153509/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Best New Horror Volume 7 (1996)
Tirkiluk by Ian R. MacLeod
The Most Boring Woman in the World by Christopher Fowler
Extinctions in Paradise by Brian Hodge
Food Man by Lisa Tuttle
More Tomorrow by Michael Marshall Smith
Going Under by Ramsey Campbell
Survivor by Dave Smeds
The Stones by Patrick Thompson
Back of Beyond by Cherry Wilder
A Hundred Wicked Little Witches by Steve Rasnic Tem
The Finger of Falugra by Manly Wade Wellman
The Toddler by Terry Lamsley
Not Here, Not Now by Stephen Gallagher
The Bungalow House by Thomas Ligotti
Cradle by Alan Brennert
The Sixth Dog by Jane Rice
Scaring The Train by Terry Dowling
La Serenissima by David Sutton
The Bars on Satan's Jailhouse by Norman Partridge
The Bone-Carver's Tale by Jeff VanderMeer
Queen of Knives by Neil Gaiman
The True History of Doctor Pretorius by Paul J. McAuley
The Grey Madonna by Graham Masterton
Loop by Douglas E. Winter
The Hunger and Ecstasy of Vampires by Brian Stableford
Lacuna by Nicholas Royle

Best New Horror Volume 8 (1997)
Walking the Dog by Terry Lamsley
Mussolini and the Axeman's Jazz by Poppy Z. Brite
An Eye For An Eye by Norman Partridge
Underworld by Douglas Clegg
The Curse of Kali by Cherry Wilder
The Film by Richard Christian Matheson
Of a Cat, But Her Skin by Storm Constantine
Hopscotch by Donald R. Burleson
Ghost in the Machine by Steve Rasnic Tem
The Moon Never Changes by Joel Lane
Butcher's Logic by Roberta Lannes
Kites and Kisses by D. F. Lewis
Last Train to Arnos Grove by Marni Griffin
The King of Rain by Mark Chadbourn
Hardball by Iain Sinclair
Gas Station Carnivals by Thomas Ligotti
Ghost Music: A Memoir by George Beaune by Thomas Tessier
That Blissful Height by Gregory Frost
Skin Deep by Nicholas Royle
Hell Hath Enlarged Herself by Michael Marshall Smith
Unforgotten by Christopher Fowler
A Plague on Both Your Houses by Scott Edelman
Final Cut by Karl Edward Wagner
The Break by Terry Lamsley

Best New Horror Volume 9 (1998)
Dying Words by David J. Schow
The Windmill by Conrad Williams
The Right Ending by John Burke
Swallowing a Dirty Seed by Simon Clark
This is Your Life (Repressed Memory Remix) by Pat Cadigan
Christmas Forever by Christopher Fowler
Four Famines Ago by Yvonne Navarro
The Crawl by Stephen Laws
Serpent Eggs by David Langford
No One You Know by Dennis Etchinson
The Dripping of Sundered Wineskins by Brian Hodge
The Bells Will Sound Forever by Thomas Ligotti
The Word by Ramsey Campbell
The Map to the Homes of the Stars by Andy Duncan
Emptiness Spoke Eloquent by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Save As... by Michael Marshall Smith
Coppola's Dracula by Kim Newman
Grazing the Long Acre by Gwyneth Jones
The Zombies of Madison County by Douglas E. Winter

Best New Horror Volume 10 (1999)
Learning to Let Go by Christopher Fowler
The Wedding Present by Neil Gaiman
Adventures in Further Education by Peter Atkins
Bondage by Kathe Koja
The Keys to D'Esperance by Chaz Brenchley
The Song My Sister Sang by Stephen Laws
A Victorian Ghost Story by Kim Newman
The Dead Boy at Your Window by Bruce Holland Rogers
Ra*e by Ramsey Campbell
Upstairs by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Postcards from the King of Tides by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Everybody Goes by Michael Marshall Smith
Yellow and Red by Tanith Lee
What Slips Away by Steve Rasnic Tem
Inside the Cackle Factory by Dennis Etchinson
The Specialist's Hat by Kelly Link
The Boss in the Wall: A Treatise on the House Devil by Avram Davidson & Grania Davis
Objects of Desire in the Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear by Harlan Ellison
Mr Clubb and Mr Cuff by Peter Straub

Best New Horror Volume 11 (2000)
Halloween Street by Steve Rasnic Tem
Others by James Herbert
Growing Things by T. E. D. Klein
Unhasped by David J. Schow
The Emperor's Old Bones by Gemma Files
The Entertainment by Ramsey Campbell
Harlequin Valentine by Neil Gaiman
The Stunted House by Terry Lamsley
Just Like Eddy by Kim Newman
The Long Hall on the Top Floor by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Lulu by Thomas Tessier
The Ballyhooly Boy by Graham Masterton
Welcome by Michael Marshall Smith
Burden by Michael Marano
Naming the Dead by Paul J. McAuley
Aftershock by F. Paul Wilson
A Fish Story by Gene Wolfe
Jimmy by David Case
White by Tim Lebbon
Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub
Tricks & Treats One Night on Halloween Street by Steve Rasnic Tem

Best New Horror Volume 12 (2001)
Castle in the Desert by Kim Newman
The Keeper of the Rothenstein Tomb by Iain Sinclair
Forever Gramma by Mick Garris
At Home in the Pubs of Old London by Christopher Fowler
In the Water Works (Birmingham, Alabama 1888) by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Bone Orchards by Paul J. McAuley
No Strings by Ramsey Campbell
The Grotto by Kathryn Ptacek
Merry Roderick by Geoffrey Warburton
Climbing Down From Heaven by Terry Lamsley
Empty Stations by Nicholas Royle
Flesh of Leaves, Bones of Desire by Charlee Jacob
The Repulsion by Tim Lebbon
The Detailer by Dennis Etchinson
Coming Home by Mark Morris
The Hunger of the Leaves by Joel Lane
Xenos Beach by Graham Joyce
At Eventide by Kathe Koja
Pareidolia by Steve Rasnic Tem
I Have a Special Plan For This World by Thomas Ligotti
The Handover by Michael Marshall Smith
The Other Side of Midnight by Kim Newman

bookworm 1
05-11-2014, 02:43 AM
Some great stories in those collections. Quite a few I recognize. A super part of horrors modern history. Thanks for sharing these.

Lucian Poll
05-11-2014, 02:30 PM
No worries, Tom. I'm glad you like them. :) Here's another batch of covers, this time for volumes 13-18:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/14170887623_995036135e.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14170887623/)
Best New Horror: Volumes 13-18 covers. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14170887623/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

And herewith the stories you can find in each one:

Best New Horror Volume 13 (2002)
Mark of the Beast by Chico Kidd
Crocodile Lady by Christopher Fowler
All For Sale by Ramsey Campbell
The Two Dicks by Paul McAuley
By Her Hand, She Draws You Down by Douglas Smith
O Death, Where Is Thy Spatula? by Poppy Z. Brite
Got To Kill Them All by Dennis Etchinson
No More A-Roving by Lynda E. Rucker
First, Catch Your Demon by Graham Joyce
Pump Jack by Donald R. Burleson
Outfangthief by Gala Blau
The Lost District by Joel Lane
Simeon Dimsby's Workshop by Richard A. Lupoff
Our Temporary Supervisor by Thomas Ligotti
Whose Ghosts These Are by Charles L. Grant
Shite Hawks by Muriel Gray
Off The Map by Michael Chislett
Most of My Friends Are Two-Thirds Water by Kelly Link
City in Aspic by Conrad Williams
Where All Things Perish by Tanith Lee
Struwwelpeter by Glen Hirshberg
Cleopatra Brimstone by Elizabeth Hand
Cats and Architecture by Chico Kidd

Best New Horror Volume 14 (2003)
October in the Chair by Neil Gaiman
Details by China Mieville
The Wretched Thicket of Thorn by Don Tumasonis
The Absolute Last of the Ultra-Spooky, Super-Scary Hallowe'en Horror Nights by David J. Schow
Standard Gauge by Nicholas Royle
Little Dead Girl Singing by Stephen Gallagher
Nesting Instincts by Brian Hodge
The Two Sams by Glen Hirshberg
Hides by Jay Russell
The Unbeheld by Ramsey Campbell
Ill Met by Daylight by Basil Copper
Catskin by Kelly Link
20th Century Ghost by Joe Hill
Egyptian Avenue by Kim Newman
The Boy Behind the Gate by James van Pelt
Nor the Demons Down Under the Sea by Caitlin R. Kiernan
The Coventry Boy by Graham Joyce
The Prospect Cards by Don Tumasonis
The Cage by Jeff VanderMeer
Dr Pretorius and the Lost Temple by Paul McAuley

Best New Horror Volume 15 (2004)
Fear The Dead by Ramsey Campbell
The Hanged Man of Oz by Steve Nagy
Mara by Michael Chislett
Cell Call by Marc Laidlaw
In The Tunnels by Pauline E. Dungate
Hunger: A Confession by Dale Bailey
Seven Feet by Christopher Fowler
The Centipede by Susan Davis
The Goat Cutter by Jay Lake
Maybe Next Time by Michael Marshall Smith
Story Time With the Bluefield Strangler by John Farris
Hunter Lake by Gene Wolfe
Mr Sly Stops for a Cup of Joe by Scott Emerson Bull
The Bereavement Photographer by Steve Rasnic Tem
Kissing Carrion by Gemma Files
The White Hands by Mark Samuels
Waycross by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Lucy, In Her Slendour by Charles Colman Finlay
Dead Boy Found by Christopher Barzak
The Haunting by Joyce Carol Oates
Dancing Men by Glen Hirshberg
Bitter Grounds by Neil Gaiman
Child of the Stones by Paul McAuley
The Silence of Falling Stars by Mike O'Driscoll
Exorcising Angels by Simon Clark & Tim Lebbon

Best New Horror Volume 16 (2005)
Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire by Neil Gaiman
Lilies by Iain Rowan
Breaking Up by Ramsey Campbell
"The King", in: Yellow by Brian Keene
A Trick of the Dark by Tina Rath
The Mutable Borders of Love by Leslie What
Flour White and Spindle Thin by L. H. Maynard & M. P. N. Sims
Tighter by Christa Faust
Restraint by Stephen Gallagher
Israbel by Tanith Lee
The Growlimb by Michael Shea
This is Now by Michael Marshall Smith
Remnants by Tim Lebbon
Safety Clowns by Glen Hirshberg
The Devil of Delery Street by Poppy Z. Brite
Apocalypse Now, Voyager by Jay Russell
Stone Animals by Kelly Link
Soho Golem by Kim Newman
Spells for Halloween: An Acrostic by Dale Bailey
My Death by Lisa Tuttle
The Problem of Susan by Neil Gaiman

Best New Horror Volume 17 (2006)
The Decorations by Ramsey Campbell
Black and Green and Gold by David Herter
I Live With You and You Don't Know It by Carol Emshwiller
The Cubist's Attorney by Peter Atkins
All Fish and Dracula by Liz Williams
The Ball Room by China Mieville, Emma Bircham and Max Schaefer
Gulls by Tim Pratt
Pinkie by Elizabeth Massie
Glyphotech by Mark Samuels
One of the Hungry Ones by Holly Phillips
If I Should Wake Before I Die by Brian Hodge
The Other Family by Roberta Lannes
The Outermost Borough by Gahan Wilson
American Morons by Glen Hirshberg
Where Angels Come In by Adam L. G. Nevill
Sickhouse Hospitality by Terry Lamsley
Best New Horror by Joe Hill
La Peau Verte by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Time Was by David Morrell
Haeckel's Tale by Clive Barker
The Taint by Brian Lumley
The Winner by Ramsey Campbell

Best New Horror Volume 18 (2007)
Summer by Al Sarrantonio
Digging Deep by Ramsey Campbell
The Night Watch by John Gordon
The Luxury of Harm by Christopher Fowler
Sentinels by Mark Samuels
The Saffron Gatherers by Elizabeth Hand
What Nature Abhors by Mark Morris
The Last Reel by Lynda E. Rucker
The American Dead by Jay Lake
Between the Cold Moon and the Earth by Peter Atkins
Sob in the Silence by Gene Wolfe
Continuity Error by Nicholas Royle
Dr Prida's Dream-Plagued Patient by Michael Bishop
The Ones We Leave Behind by Mark Chadbourn
Mine by Joel Lane
Obsequy by David J. Schow
Thrown by Don Tumasonis
Houses Under The Sea by Caitlin R. Kiernan
They by David Morrell
The Clockwork Horror by F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre
Making Cabinets by Richard Christian Matheson
Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter (Fantasy) by Geoff Ryman
Devil's Smile by Glen Hirshberg
The Man Who Got Off The Ghost Train by Kim Newman

Lucian Poll
05-11-2014, 04:20 PM
And finally the covers and stories from volumes 19-24 of Best New Horror:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/14147524761_16baeae0a6.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14147524761/)
Best New Horror: Volumes 19-24 covers. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14147524761/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Best New Horror Volume 19 (2008)
The Things He Said by Michael Marshall Smith
The Church on the Island by Simon Kurt Unsworth
The Twilight Express by Christopher Fowler
Peep by Ramsey Campbell
From Around Here by Tim Pratt
Pumpkin Night by Gary McMahon
The Other Village by Simon Strantzas
13 O'Clock by Mike O'Driscoll
Still Water by Joel Lane
Lancashire by Nicholas Royle
The Admiral's House by Marc Lecard
Man, You Gotta See This! by Tony Richards
The Fisherman by David A. Sutton
The Children of Monte Rosa by Reggie Oliver
The Witch's Headstone by Neil Gaiman
Calico Black, Calico Blue by Joel Knight
This Rich Evil Sound by Steven Erikson
Miss Ill-Kept Runt by Glen Hirshberg
Deadman's Road by Joe R. Lansdale
A Gentleman from Mexico by Mark Samuels
Loss by Tom Piccirilli
Behind the Clouds: In Front of the Sun by Christopher Harman
The Ape's Wife by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Tight Wrappers by Conrad Williams
Cold Snap by Kim Newman

Best New Horror Volume 20 (2009)
Front-Page McGuffin and the Greatest Story Never Told by Peter Crowther
It Runs Beneath The Surface by Simon Strantzas
These Things We Have Always Known by Lynda E. Rucker
Feminine Endings by Neil Gaiman
Through The Cracks by Gary McMahon
Falling Off The World by Tim Lebbon
The Old Traditions Are Best by Paul Finch
The Long Way by Ramsey Campbell
The Pile by Michael Bishop
Under Fog by Tanith Lee
Arkangel by Christopher Fowler
The Camping Wainwrights by Ian R. MacLeod
A Donkey at the Mysteries by Reggie Oliver
The Oram County Whoosit by Steve Duffy
The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates by Stephen King
Our Man in the Sudan by Sarah Pinborough
"Destination Nihil" by Edmund Bertrand by Mark Samuels
The Overseer by Albert E. Cowdrey
The Beginnings of Sorrow by Pinckney Benedict
The Place of Waiting by Brian Lumley
2.00pm: The Real Estate Agent Arrives by Steve Rasnic Tem

Best New Horror Volume 21 (2010)
The Woods by Michael Kelly
Throttle by Joe Hill & Stephen King
Out and Back by Barbara Roden
Respects by Ramsey Campbell
Cold to the Touch by Simon Strantzas
The Game of Bear by M. R. James & Reggie Oliver
Shem-el-Nessim An Inspiration in Perfume by Chris Bell
What Happens When You Wake Up in the Night by Michael Marshall Smith
The Reunion by Nicholas Royle
Mami Wata by Simon Kurt Unsworth
Venturi by Richard Christian Matheson
Party Talk by John Gaskin
Two Steps Along the Road by Terry Dowling
The Axholme Toll by Mark Valentine
Granny's Grinning by Robert Shearman
In the Garden by Rosalie Parker
After the Ape by Stephen Volk
The Nonesuch by Brian Lumley
Princess of the Night by Michael Kelly

Best New Horror Volume 22 (2011)
What Will Come After by Scott Edelman
Substitutions by Michael Marshall Smith
A Revelation of Cormorants by Mark Valentine
Out Back by Garry Kilworth
Fort Clay, Louisiana: A Tragical History by Albert E. Cowdrey
Just Outside Our Windows, Deep Inside Our Walls by Brian Hodge
Fallen Boys by Mark Morris
The Lemon in the Pool by Simon Kurt Unsworth
The Pier by Thana Niveau
Featherweight by Robert Shearman
Black Country by Joel Lane
Lavender and Lychgates by Angela Slatter
Christmas with the Dead by Joe R. Lansdale
We All Fall Down by Kirstyn McDermott
Oh I Do Like To Be Beside the Seaside by Christopher Fowler
Losenef Express by Mark Samuels
Lesser Demons by Norman Partridge
Telling by Steve Rasnic Tem
As Red as Red by Caitlin R. Kiernan
With the Angels by Ramsey Campbell
Autumn Chill by Richard L. Tierney
City of the Dog by John Langan
When the Zombies Win by Karina Sumner-Smith

Best New Horror Volume 23 (2012)
Holding the Light by Ramsey Campbell
Lantern Jack by Christopher Fowler
Rag and Bone by Paul Kane
Some Kind of Light Shines from Your Face by Gemma Files
Midnight Flight by Joel Lane
Trick of the Light by Tim Lebbon
But None Shall Sing For Me by Gregory Nicoll
About the Dark by Alison Littlewood
The Photographer's Tale by Daniel Mills
The Tower by Mark Samuels
Dancing Like We're Dumb by Peter Atkins
An Indelible Stain Upon the Sky by Simon Strantzas
Hair by Joan Aitken
Miri by Steve Rasnic Tem
Corbeaux Bay by Geeta Roopnarine
Sad, Dark Thing by Michael Marshall Smith
Smithers and the Ghosts of the Thar by Robert Silverberg
Quieta Non Movere by Reggie Oliver
The Crawling Sky by Joe R. Lansdale
Wait by Conrad Williams
The Ocean Grand, North West Coast by Simon Kurt Unsworth
They That Have Wings by Evangeline Walton
White Roses, Bloody Silk by Thana Niveau
The Music of Bengt Karlsson, Murderer by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Passing Through Peacehaven by Ramsey Campbell
Holiday Home by David Buchan

Best New Horror Volume 24 (2013)
Witch Work by Neil Gaiman
The Discord of Being by Alison Littlewood
Necrosis by Dale Bailey
The Hunt: Before, and the Aftermath by Joe R. Lansdale
The Cotswald Olimpicks by Simon Kurt Unsworth
Where the Summer Dwells by Lynda E. Rucker
The Callers by Ramsey Campbell
The Curtain by Thana Niveau
The Fall of the King of Babylon by Mark Valentine
Nightside Eye by Terry Dowling
The Old and the New by Helen Marshall
Waiting at the Crossroads Motel by Steve Rasnic Tem
His Own Audience by Glen Hirshberg
Marionettes by Claire Massey
Between Four Years by Reggie Oliver
Slick Black Stones and Soft Black Stars by Gemma Files
The Other One by Evangeline Walton
Slow Burn by Joel Lane
Celebrity Frankenstein by Stephen Volk
Blue Crayon, Yellow Crayon by Robert Shearman
October Dreams by Michael Kelly
The Eyes of Water by Alison Littlewood

slayn666
05-11-2014, 04:22 PM
The UK covers for 20 and 22 are so much better than the US covers.

Lucian Poll
05-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Best New Horror Volume 24 was launched at the World Fantasy Convention last year, and so I had the chance to have my book signed by many of the authors featured within, which was mighty cool:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2905/13964217258_134b2d5bd3.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964217258/)
Best New Horror: Volume 24 title page signed by Stephen Jones and Ramsey Campbell at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964217258/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5594/14148052702_ae6e4e5564.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14148052702/)
Best New Horror: Volume 24 contents page, signed by Alison Littlewood, Simon Kurt Unsworth, Lynda E. Rucker and one more (probably Dale Bailey... sorry!) at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14148052702/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7367/13964243127_96a70cf528.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964243127/)
Best New Horror 24: Contents page signed by Thana Niveau, Helen Marshall, Steve Rasnic Tem, Reggie Oliver, Stephen Volk, Robert Shearman, Michael Kelly and Kim Newman at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964243127/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
05-11-2014, 04:42 PM
They are rather eyecatching. The last five covers have been done by Vincent Chong. I rather like his work, particularly the illustrations I've seen from Doctor Sleep and The Shining.

Lucian Poll
05-11-2014, 04:48 PM
The launch for Best New Horror Volume 24 coincided with the launch of Psychomania:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/13964316797_dfda27a0da.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964316797/)
Psychomania: cover. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964316797/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

And so I managed to get a few signatures there too!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7370/14147676241_db197c3c8e.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14147676241/)
Psychomania: title page signed by Stephen Jones, Les Edwards, Ramsey Campbell, Richard Christian Matheson and one more (sorry!) at World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14147676241/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/14151173354_2de5d0b2a7.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151173354/)
Psychomania: contents page signed by John Llewellyn Probert, Reggie Oliver, Steve Rasnic Tem and Scott Edelman at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151173354/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2937/14127836406_2c9e855200.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14127836406/)
Psychomania: contents pages signed by Paul McAuley, Mike Carey, John Llewellyn Probert, Robert Shearman, Michael Carey, Conrad Williams, Rio Youers, Peter Crowther, Michael Marshall Smith and Kim Newman at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14127836406/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Theli
05-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Very nice additions! Absolutely love the Best New Horror collection. Are any of the other volumes signed?

Lucian Poll
05-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Theli. None of the other volumes are signed, I'm afraid. That said, I'll be attending a convention later in the year so maybe I can collect a few autographs while I'm there. If Ramsey Campbell's there he might want to invest in a rubber stamp as he's in nearly every volume!

srboone
05-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Great collection of BNHs, LP! And don't stay away so long next time. Unless, of course, you're hard at work on your next book!

Lucian Poll
05-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks, Squire. :) Apologies for the absence! Life's been a bit greedy of late, sadly.

As for the stories, yup, I'm still scribbling 'em. I've parked last year's NaNoWriMo effort as it needs a rethink (and could turn into a long 'un). To compensate I'm on a sci-fi tale that I'm dying to show everyone, but it's much too early yet.

I can, however, baffle everyone with a sketch I did to help me visualise one of the key characters, if I can call it that. I present to you the gerald:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bm27y6wIUAASOnm.jpg

srboone
05-15-2014, 03:12 AM
Time Travelling Parasitic Lizards! Sounds very LP-ish. I love it!

TJCams
05-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Cool sketch! I wish I had some artistic talent like that. I'm OK with stick people.....

I have read at least a few of those stories in those "Best" books that you listed. Nice!!!!!!

Lucian Poll
05-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm glad you like the sketch. :)

Lucian Poll
05-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Another wee update, this time my ragtag hardback collection of The Adversary Cycle (or Nightworld Cycle, if you will):

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7445/13964745000_e7857d6494_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964745000/)
The Adversary Cycle by F. Paul Wilson (aka The Nightworld Cycle): The Keep (US first edition); The Tomb (UK first edition); The Touch (UK first edition); Reborn (UK first edition); Reprisal (UK first edition) and Nightworld (BCA edition). All hardbacks. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964745000/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Reborn and Reprisal were purchases from last year's WFC, and, like a few other attending authors, F. Paul Wilson had laid his pen to the title pages before I stumped up the readies, which was cool:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7359/14171498973_006989d126_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14171498973/)
Reborn by F. Paul Wilson: title page signed by the author. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14171498973/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2938/13964786339_43bc79107e_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964786339/)
Reprisal by F. Paul Wilson: title page signed by the author. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964786339/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

The Keep, however, was a book that had my eye throughout the convention: US first edition, amazing condition for a book nearly as old as I was, but it was pricey. On the last day the dealer knocked a third off the price and I couldn't resist. I thought I'd left it too late to pin F. down for a signature, but, as luck would have it, he was pretty much the next fella I ran into!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7443/14151590824_9ac58ef797_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151590824/)
The Keep by F. Paul Wilson: title page signed by the author at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151590824/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

So that turned out well. :)

TJCams
05-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Great signatures! What a nice bunch to add to your collection.

bookworm 1
05-22-2014, 10:08 PM
I have the updated Nightworld. Have not read it yet. One more Repairman Jack book then this series and finally Nightworld as that book ties up both series. The Tomb is also part of Repairman Jack. Nice signatures.

Lucian Poll
05-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Thanks, guys! :)

Here's another from the WFC pile of which I'm rather pleased. I saw the book launch for this advertised in the convention programme and fell in love with the cover art.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/14151200504_cb038cf583_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151200504/)
End of the Road: cover. (Brilliant artwork by Nicolas Delort.) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151200504/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

And happily enough there were a lot of the contributing authors on hand to scribble their autographs inside the book too:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2937/14127861186_bb6419deb3.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14127861186/)
End of the Road: Introduction, signed by Jonathan Oliver at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14127861186/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7339/13964377837_80f62c7cae.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964377837/)
End of the Road: Without a Hitch, signed by Ian Whates at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964377837/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5234/13964425970_bbebf1f737.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964425970/)
End of the Road: Driver Error, signed by Paul Meloy at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964425970/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7338/14151083675_745f51bff0.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151083675/)
End of the Road: Locusts, signed by Lavie Tidhar at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151083675/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7376/13964417749_7ca5140552.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964417749/)
End of the Road: The Track, signed by Jay Caselberg at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964417749/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7327/14151249634_63b81e7f45.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151249634/)
End of the Road: Dagiti Timayap Garda (Of the Flying Guardians) signed by Rochita Loenen-Ruiz at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151249634/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7366/13964457518_cd694fb9e6.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964457518/)
End of the Road: I'm The Lady Of Good Times, She Said, signed by Helen Marshall at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964457518/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7398/14147785231_d3b5cf77d6.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14147785231/)
End of the Road: The Widow, signed by Rio Youers at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14147785231/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
05-22-2014, 11:33 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/14148264792_02de9f1367.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14148264792/)
End of the Road: Bingo, signed by S.L. Grey (both) at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14148264792/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2906/14148273792_08b7a2daf6.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14148273792/)
End of the Road: Always In Our Hearts, signed by Adam Nevill at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14148273792/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Theli
05-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Very nice collection. Love the F. Paul Wilson titles.

srboone
05-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Very nice additions, LP!!! Always glad to peek at your collection.

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Ahhhhhh, it's always nice to find the latest CD waiting for you on the doormat.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpTZBdSCAAA6wlY.jpg

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Which reminds me... Here are a few issues of Grave Tales that Joe Hill signed for me, which was pretty mighty cool:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/13964897567_c3e9ee7c5c_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964897567/)
Grave Tales #6 and #7, covers signed by Joe Hill. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964897567/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 07:24 PM
I also managed to get Peter Crowther's signature too. He seemed surprised to see the comic, albeit in a good way!

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2913/14151591465_01ebeec31b_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151591465/)
Rustle, from Grave Tales #7, signed by Peter Crowther. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151591465/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Meanwhile, back with Joe Hill...

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14171296643_2e5cd3d20a_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14171296643/)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill: cover. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14171296643/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7443/13964600700_8d3cdce6a4_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964600700/)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill: title page signed by the author at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964600700/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 07:31 PM
I love the scaly-textured cover on the UK trade paperback of Horns:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/14148399712_81c4b90f78_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14148399712/)
Horns by Joe Hill: cover. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14148399712/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7342/14151415404_7f4ed0cf35_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151415404/)
Horns by Joe Hill: title page signed by the author at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151415404/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 07:39 PM
The UK trade hardcover of NOS2R2 loses out to the US's NOS4A2, IMHO, but is much improved with a signature and a doodle on the inside:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/13964628538_71ae9c2746_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964628538/)
NOS4R2 by Joe Hill: cover (hardback). (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964628538/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5519/13964617039_72d0fc2ec0_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964617039/)
NOS4R2 by Joe Hill: title page signed by the author at the World Fantasy Convention 2013. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964617039/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Theli
06-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Love the new adds! Joe Hill books are always a great addition.

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 07:53 PM
And I suppose we can't really talk Joe Hill without mentioning this:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/14346299534_fdf2d86f27_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14346299534/)
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King (UK Hardcover) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14346299534/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

I don't know why, but I really like the cover to this book. Maybe it's the cool glossy rain effect when you hold it up to the light...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3838/14367327383_b524fc8856_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14367327383/)
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King (UK Hardcover with cool glossy rain effect!) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14367327383/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks, Theli! I should get my WFC 2013 haul out of my system just in time to attend this year's shindig in Washington. That's right, folks, Mr Poll is heading Stateside!

I haven't quite figured what Washington offers gawping tourists in early November, but Google Maps proudly informs me there's a Burger King in the middle of The Pentagon, so obviously I'll have to check that out.

Martin
06-04-2014, 09:35 PM
You managed to get your copy before mine arrived in Washington!
Ahhhhhh, it's always nice to find the latest CD waiting for you on the doormat.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpTZBdSCAAA6wlY.jpg

Martin
06-04-2014, 09:37 PM
There is lots do do in Washington. Let me know where you will be and I can give you some suggestions.
Thanks, Theli! I should get my WFC 2013 haul out of my system just in time to attend this year's shindig in Washington. That's right, folks, Mr Poll is heading Stateside!

I haven't quite figured what Washington offers gawping tourists in early November, but Google Maps proudly informs me there's a Burger King in the middle of The Pentagon, so obviously I'll have to check that out.

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Hi Martin! I think my copy may be an early-bird as I've got an ad running inside. :)

Any suggestions you have are most welcome. I'll be staying at the same hotel in which WFC is taking place, which is the Hyatt Regency Crystal City near Ronald Reagan Airport - so not-quite-Washington-but-pretty-close. I'll be there a few days either side of the event to do a wee bit exploring.

Lucian Poll
06-04-2014, 10:15 PM
I found a few bars in DC that promise a good old-fashioned pub quiz, which amuses me no end. Yes, I'll have travelled thousands of miles to take part in the very thing I need only cross the road for (literally), but for once I'll be able to use the team name "Norfolk n' good" and not have everyone in the place groan and have me thrown out. :D

Theli
06-05-2014, 12:02 AM
I found a few bars in DC that promise a good old-fashioned pub quiz, which amuses me no end. Yes, I'll have travelled thousands of miles to take part in the very thing I need only cross the road for (literally), but for once I'll be able to use the team name "Norfolk n' good" and not have everyone in the place groan and have me thrown out. :D
Hahaha, have fun on your trip overseas!

Martin
06-05-2014, 02:43 AM
I am afraid I can be of no help then as I am in the other Washington.
Hi Martin! I think my copy may be an early-bird as I've got an ad running inside. :)

Any suggestions you have are most welcome. I'll be staying at the same hotel in which WFC is taking place, which is the Hyatt Regency Crystal City near Ronald Reagan Airport - so not-quite-Washington-but-pretty-close. I'll be there a few days either side of the event to do a wee bit exploring.

Lucian Poll
06-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Ah! No worries. I've a few months to plan a few things. :)

bookworm 1
06-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Nice additions. Love the UK edition of Mister Mercedes. Better then the U.S. cover.

Lucian Poll
06-05-2014, 07:34 PM
It's like the publishers knew something about our climate! :D

Theli
06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
^Ha, how appropriate. I dig both covers, but I do like the UK one more. And both make Revival look like a joke, though it did that on its own.

Sabrina Morgan
06-06-2014, 11:25 AM
And I suppose we can't really talk Joe Hill without mentioning this:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/14346299534_fdf2d86f27_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14346299534/)
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King (UK Hardcover) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14346299534/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

I don't know why, but I really like the cover to this book. Maybe it's the cool glossy rain effect when you hold it up to the light...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3838/14367327383_b524fc8856_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14367327383/)
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King (UK Hardcover with cool glossy rain effect!) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14367327383/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Love this!!!!

Lucian Poll
06-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Here's another cool item for any fantasy fans, with an eyecatching cover of an implausibly fiery battleaxe by Dominic Harman:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5562/14128327956_064244434d_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14128327956/)
Legends - Stories in honour of David Gemmell: limited edition hardback cover. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14128327956/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

This was launched to help fund the Gemmell Awards and many of the authors were in attendance. I thought the limited edition hardback was a tidy piece of work and so stumped up a little extra for it:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/14151685284_9a6870b91e_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151685284/)
Legends - Stories in honour of David Gemmell: signature sheet signed by Joe Abercrombie, James Barclay, Storm Constantine, Jonathan Green, Tanith Lee, Juliet E. McKenna and Anne Nicholls. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14151685284/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7422/13964883929_a4cec52095_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964883929/)
Legends - Stories in honour of David Gemmell: signature sheet signed by Stan Nicholls, Gaie Sebold, Jan Siegel, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Sandra Unerman and Ian Whates. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/13964883929/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
08-16-2014, 02:09 PM
A recent splurge on magazines has seen one's collection swell further. Here's a heads-up of what may be a theme to my collection thread in the near future:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvKNLj9CYAAQcTs.jpg

What you see here are 211 issues of Interzone, a UK sci-fi and fantasy fiction magazine that's been on the go for over thirty years and has published stories from a ton of established names. I managed to buy a job lot of 155 issues a few weeks ago, with only three early issues missing. I have a lot of reading ahead!

Lucian Poll
08-16-2014, 02:14 PM
I also extended my Cemetery Dance collection, finding a batch of issues that neatly preceded mine. Here they are, fresh from the box:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvKOjPGIcAAzL0Y.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvKPRIhIUAAIp0D.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvKQnhKIgAAp7ch.jpg

Even more fine reading ahead!

bookworm 1
08-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Nice grab on both sets. Missing a few of those Cemetery Dance magazine's myself. Have fun reading.

Lucian Poll
08-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks, Tom. They should keep me going for a few years. :)

Lucian Poll
08-17-2014, 03:06 PM
To mark the return of Doctor Who next week, here are a trio of books by Mark Gatiss featuring the wonderfully icy Lucifer Box.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3870/14748573788_88303a6945_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14748573788/) Mark Gatiss' Lucifer Box trilogy: The Vesuvius Club; The Devil in Amber and Black Butterfly. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14748573788/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

The first two books feature entertaining endpapers:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/14748549639_6261d2fe12_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14748549639/)
Front endpaper from the hardback edition of The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14748549639/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5577/14748682157_c684ac4ce2_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14748682157/)
Front endpaper from the hardback edition of The Devil in Amber by Mark Gatiss. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14748682157/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

The author held a reading/book signing for The Vesuvius Club in Norwich circa 2004, shortly before Doctor Who was relaunched. It was standing room only and the evening was great fun, due perhaps in part to him flying three sheets to the wind. :D

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3910/14932138761_985ec722d4_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14932138761/)
The Vesuvius Club title page signed by Mark Gatiss. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14932138761/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

One's better half then very kindly bought me a signed copy of the follow-up:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5585/14935245665_3a476c7feb_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14935245665/)
Black Butterfly title page signed by Mark Gatiss. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/14935245665/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Ben Staad
08-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Love the covers and endpapers on those books.

bookworm 1
08-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Yea the end papers are great. Nice adds.

Lucian Poll
08-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks, guys. Am I the only one who would pay good money to read "The Corpse That Wouldn't Die"? Still gives me a chuckle!

Theli
08-30-2014, 12:12 AM
great style to those books, love the endpapers and cover art. Legends is a nice anthology too.

Lucian Poll
09-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Good evening, Dancesters. Having recently returned from FantasyCon 2014 I have all sorts of purchases and signed stuff to show off.

First up here is a shot of the assorted free books gleaned at registration and some of the assorted shindigs:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5558/15001439349_f1a96a6c29_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001439349/)
Freebie books from FantasyCon 2014, including The Alloy of War by Brandon Sanderson, The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, The Armageddon Rag by George R. R. Martin, Extinction Game by Gary Gibson, plus 7 others. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001439349/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

(Having one's better half in attendance helped!)

Lucian Poll
09-10-2014, 08:45 PM
The convention hosted a number of book launches. One of the most popular ones was for this little number:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3891/15001262189_bbe2e45364_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001262189/)
The Spectral Book of Horror Stories, purchased at launch at FantasyCon 2014. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001262189/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

The line-up made this a no-brainer purchase for me. A lot of the contributors were in attendance to sign copies of the book too. First up, Mark Morris:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3900/15165027946_30aa426972_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15165027946/)
The Spectral Book of Horror Stories' introduction, signed by Mark Morris at FantasyCon 2014. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15165027946/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Aaaaaaand then these fine writers:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5586/15165035996_4af5064096_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15165035996/)
Title page of The Spectral Book of Horror Stories, signed by Ramsay Campbell, Conrad Williams, Stephen Laws, Stephen Volk, Alison Moore, Reggie Oliver, Vincent Chong, Gary McMahon, Rob Shearman, Alison Littlewood and Helen Marshall at FantasyCon 2014. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15165035996/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
09-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Adam Nevill was also there to launch his upcoming novel, due for release at the end of October:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5591/15178531926_97674e39f1_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15178531926/)
No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15178531926/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

He stressed to me that this was by far his grimmest story yet - I guess with a title like that... :)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3838/15198522881_ab0f720926_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15198522881/)
Title page of No One Gets Out Alive, signed by Adam Nevill at FantasyCon 2014. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15198522881/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
09-10-2014, 09:06 PM
I splashed out on the limited edition of Gary McMahon's The End, another book launch at FantasyCon:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5552/15001469600_a4f3888202_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001469600/)
The End by Gary McMahon (limited edition hardcover) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001469600/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3868/15187783692_d5b5efd19a_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15187783692/)
Signature page of The End (limited edition hardcover), signed by Gary McMahon, launched at FantasyCon 2014. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15187783692/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

I managed to hold up the queue while I pumped Gary for answers to umpteen questions regarding his Concrete Grove trilogy:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3841/15001185609_3472e8ef0b_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001185609/)
The Concrete Grove trilogy by Gary McMahon, comprising The Concrete Grove (2011), Silent Voices (2012) and Beyond Here Lies Nothing (2012) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001185609/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

...which he was only too happy to sign...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3894/15001412177_4bc702dabe_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001412177/)
The Concrete Grove title page, signed by Gary McMahon. (Comment alludes to an interesting typo that suggested a much grimmer earlier draft (p205, penultimate paragraph) - turns out it was simply a typo. Phew!) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001412177/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3919/15001460587_c718dfb644_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001460587/)
Title page of Silent Voices, signed by Gary McMahon. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001460587/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5594/15165004576_11e20a75ff_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15165004576/)
Title page of Beyond Here Lies Nothing, signed by Gary McMahon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15165004576/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Even when I pulled out a sneaky fourth book from my bag! :D

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3885/15001361019_2d975a4e82_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001361019/)
Dead Bad Things by Gary McMahon. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001361019/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3863/15001570728_857995e4f7_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001570728/)
Title page of Dead Bad Things, signed by Gary McMahon at FantasyCon 2014. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001570728/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
09-10-2014, 09:26 PM
The most notable absence from FantasyCon 2014 was Graham Joyce, whose illness had taken a turn for the worse in the run-up to the event. Despite this, it was a sad shock to learn yesterday of his passing. I really enjoyed The Year of the Ladybird (released in the US as The Ghost in the Electric Blue Suit). I've come relatively late to his work, so I'm looking forward to reading this handsome collection of his short fiction, recently launched by PS Publishing, and reading more of the stories he has left behind.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5586/15014919027_03e7edbf5a_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15014919027/)
25 Years in the Word Mines - The Best Short Fiction of Graham Joyce (PS Publishing hardcover) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15014919027/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

Lucian Poll
09-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Just as poignant would be my purchase of Cemetery Dance's The Century's Best Horror Fiction. I spotted both volumes on a dealer's table at FantasyCon and was immediately drawn to them. It was only when I picked them up that I realised the whole table comprised books once owned by Joel Lane, who passed away towards the end of last year. His family were selling his books to help raise money for his mother. The purchase of these two volumes was never in doubt, and yet it felt wrong to pay for them and simply dash off without a chat. I'm glad I stayed, if 'glad' is the word. The bittersweet recollections, combined with the dignified yet still-raw emotions in which they were told, will stay with me for some time.

Given that one of Joel's stories features in the second volume of this collection, I have an uneasy feeling I may have purchased the contributor's copy he would have received from Cemetery Dance. Either way, these are two books I'll be taking extra-special care of.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5570/15001324307_e1f9d5f5c3_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001324307/)
Volumes 1 & 2 of Cemetery Dance's The Century's Best Horror Fiction, as purchased from the late Joel Lane's collection at FantasyCon 2014. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123494430@N07/15001324307/) by lucian.poll (https://www.flickr.com/people/123494430@N07/), on Flickr

bookworm 1
09-11-2014, 12:03 AM
Some super additions to your collection. I have but not yet read The Century's Best. It is a huge collection. One I really like and look forward to reading myself. Seems like you had a great time. Despite some of the sadness overshadowing the event. .....By the way how is your next project coming along?

Lucian Poll
09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Tom. A good time was had. It was nice to put more faces to names and to meet up again with those who attended last year's World Fantasy Convention.

Re: projects - barring the odd short story spilling out of me here and there I've been tinkering with a sci-fi detective story, which is coming along slowly but shaping up nicely. (I shelved last year's NaNoWriMo effort as it needs a rethink.)

RJK1981
09-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Thanks, Tom. A good time was had. It was nice to put more faces to names and to meet up again with those who attended last year's World Fantasy Convention.

Re: projects - barring the odd short story spilling out of me here and there I've been tinkering with a sci-fi detective story, which is coming along slowly but shaping up nicely. (I shelved last year's NaNoWriMo effort as it needs a rethink.)

Very nice adds. Considered getting the Century's Best collection when CD first offered it, but the price was too high for me at the time, and honestly I probably would get around to reading it anyway, lol.

Already decided what I will be doing for this year's NaNoWriMo. Going to be redoing what I did for last year since so much of what I did last year was junk, lol. I really want to read this story, I just need to actually write it, lol.