PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for CD limited editions

frik51
08-24-2012, 02:30 PM
There are a couple of authors whose work is just crying out for some fantastic limiteds. One of these is Stephen Donaldson.

I would LOVE to see the Thomas Covenant books been given the royal limited treatment - all ten books eventually.
Donaldson has a pretty big following and I simply do not understand why there are no Covenant limiteds out yet.
Or his The Gap SF series. Or, his Mordant's Need fantasy books.

CD, are you listening?? Please, please rectify this oversight and do Donaldson justice.
I for one would get numbered and letered editions of each volume!

Can anyone else come up with some other authors/titles??

sk

njhorror
08-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I'd like to see something by Laird Barron or Reggie Oliver. Preferably a collection of short stories.

RJK1981
08-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Considering I didn't really know of many horror authors before finding Cemetery Dance I have no recommendations that would fit. I have one particular author I'd love to see some Limited stuff from who is a Sci-Fi author, but I don't really see CD expanding into Sci-Fi.

Dan Hocker
08-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Considering I didn't really know of many horror authors before finding Cemetery Dance I have no recommendations that would fit. I have one particular author I'd love to see some Limited stuff from who is a Sci-Fi author, but I don't really see CD expanding into Sci-Fi.

Ahh make the suggestion anyways, we're always trying to widen our customer base.

bsaenz24
08-24-2012, 08:04 PM
There are a couple of authors whose work is just crying out for some fantastic limiteds. One of these is Stephen Donaldson.

sk

You hit my holy grail right on the F@(#*kin head!!!!

RJK1981
08-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Ahh make the suggestion anyways, we're always trying to widen our customer base.

Ok, then I'd love see Limiteds from Jeffery A. Carver. He is mainly sci-Fi, but has a bit of fantasy mixed in. Have thoroughly enjoyed everything of his that I have read so far. I stumbled across him randomly in HS looking at books in my local library. I started off with his Chaos Chronicles novels that hopefully he will finish up sometime (6 book series, 4 finished so far, but was a large break between number 3 and 4). His Star Rigger universe books (mostly standalone novels I think) are also very good, as well as others outside of those 2 series.

Teriw
08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
More king...but that's a given.

Joe315
08-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Theres only two I can think of but they may be better as one offs. The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell. It is a zombie novel that I thought was really well written. Bell is writing another book that I believe takes place in the same universe as Reapers but I'm not 100%. The other is Scott Sigler. He writes more scifi then horror. I would like to see his book Nocturnal just for the artwork that could come out of it. It had some interesting characters that makes for some grotesque imagery.

Sock Monkey
08-25-2012, 06:11 AM
I would love to see Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels in a signed limited. Ghost Story by Straub in a super-duper lettered edition would be nice as well.

bookworm 1
08-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Sub press has put out Donaldson stuff. I have a copy of his The Best of from them.Maybe they have a contract with him for other stuff. If not CD would be a very good choice for his limiteds.

I would LOVE to see the Thomas Covenant books been given the royal limited treatment - all ten books eventually.
Donaldson has a pretty big following and I simply do not understand why there are no Covenant limiteds out yet.

CD, are you listening?? Please, please rectify this oversight and do Donaldson justice.

sk

TerryE
08-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd also love to see a nice set of Donaldson's work.

peteOcha
08-26-2012, 10:24 PM

sk

Yes please!:D

frik51
08-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Sub press has put out Donaldson stuff. I have a copy of his The Best of from them.Maybe they have a contract with him for other stuff. If not CD would be a very good choice for his limiteds.

I've got a copy as well. Plus the one Donald M. grant did, Daughter of Regals. But that's it for limited books by Donaldson.
Brian, Dan, Mindy, anyone!!!! Seriously, if you can manage to do the Covenant limiteds, that would be awesome. I just can't understand why no one has done these yet.'
CD would have a set of winners on their hands!!

sk

TerryE
08-27-2012, 05:01 PM
And from the forum response, you already have a large crossover audience for Donaldson. I think more than any other fantasist.

Menace
08-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Orson Scott Card or maybe Limited editions of David Gerrolds War Against the Chtorr if he even finishes this series of books.

frik51
08-27-2012, 05:30 PM
And from the forum response, you already have a large crossover audience for Donaldson. I think more than any other fantasist.

Right!!
I really hope something will come of this!!

sk

Xiabei
08-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Donaldson is awesome.

I'd definitely be up for some Richard Kadrey stuff too.

calason
08-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Orson Scott Card or maybe Limited editions of David Gerrolds War Against the Chtorr if he even finishes this series of books.

I second the Orson Scott Card. Maybe some of the older Ray Garton, that to my knowledge have only been available in paperback. Donaldson is always good! I don't care what anyone says, I love the fantasy/D & D writing of R.A. Salvatore and nice limited editions of his work would be awesome! One of my all time favorite books is The Earth Abides by George R Stewart, That one would be number one on my list!

RJK1981
08-30-2012, 09:18 AM
I'd also love to see some Limited Editions from Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman

calason
08-30-2012, 02:01 PM
I'd also love to see some Limited Editions from Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman

YES!! I have the leather bound Dragonlance Chronicles signed by Margeret Weiss. It only had a limited print run, so I guess it's limited in that sense. But really nice editions would be pretty awesome.

Xiabei
09-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Yeah! DragonLance would be awesome.

Sock Monkey
05-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Here are a couple more books I'd love to see CD give the signed limited treatment:

Peter Straub:
The Blue Rose trilogy
Ghost Story (posted this one before, but I'm just sayin...)

Michael Aronovitz:
Seven Deadly Pleasures

Michael Marshall Smith:
The Straw Men trilogy, or anything else for that matter.

Ira Levin:
Rosemary's Baby

TED Klein:
The Ceremonies

Mike Carey:
The Girl With All The Gifts (haven't read it yet, but Carey is awesome and would love a signed limited)

TJCams
05-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Here is a couple suggestions I think would work.....

Subterranean - James Rollins This has a Jurassic Park mixed with Indiana Jones feel to it. And is NOT part of the Sigma Force series, but CD is doing Relic (Pendergast series), so why not??

Would also love to see some Clive Barker - Hellbound Heart is a shorter type story with a legendary following

Richard Matheson - Hell House

Can't go wrong with Dan Simmons - loved The Terror, plus he has Carrion Comfort, Song of Kali, etc.

Would love to see CD branch out into sci-fi a bit too. Maybe William Gibson, classic PK Dick, Iain Banks.....

frik51
05-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Yes, Science Fiction: The Gap - again, by Stephen Donaldson.
(5-part series)

sk

bsaenz24
05-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!! Gap!!!

Theli
05-27-2014, 07:56 PM
So when's the CD edition of the Twilight saga being released? ;)

TJCams
05-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Ughh..... Never would be the answer I hope for! ;)

Theli
05-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Damn, and I had my money all saved up for matching lettered traycases!

bugen
05-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Has it gotten so bad I'm not able to mention Hubbard? Don't want to be thrown out, but I've always had a soft spot for the Mission Earth series (ouch! quit it! ouch! dodge! parry! ouch! ouch! roll-to-side! ouch!)

slayn666
05-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Has it gotten so bad I'm not able to mention Hubbard? Don't want to be thrown out, but I've always had a soft spot for the Mission Earth series (ouch! quit it! ouch! dodge! parry! ouch! ouch! roll-to-side! ouch!)

Nothing wrong with mentioning Hubbard since others have mentioned Card and Simmons, who come with their own hangups. Though I imagine landing a deal for any of his (Hubbard's) works would be a nightmare since you'd be dealing with the insanity of his estate and his church.

If we're listing sci-fi, I'd love to see LEs of Hannu Rajaniemi's novels.

bookworm 1
05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
When Hell freezes over would be my guess.:D

bugen
05-28-2014, 01:44 AM
More crime than horror, but Shane Stevens' By Reason of Insanity and Dead City. Alexis Machine!!!

These could be ripe for a re-release. I haven't read the other couple he's written, but when my parents forbid me to read Stephen King as a child, this is where I went (backfire!)

jigertz
05-28-2014, 03:19 AM
I would love to see Ira Levin--the obvious ones, Rosemary's Baby and the Stepford Wives--but also the classics like The Boys from Brazil and A Kiss Before Dying. I guess you'd have to throw Sliver in there too. . .

Theli
05-28-2014, 04:01 AM
Real answer: As for crime novels, I think James Ellroy's L.A. Quartet would make for an awesome CD collection. They need a l/e release. Would love more Jim Thompson books, but deceased autors isn't really CD's forte, so I'll leave that to CP. Other than those, like I've said before, I would kill for a CD copy of Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves or to a slightly lesser extent I would love a CD edition of John Lindqvist's Let The Right One In.

Theli
05-28-2014, 04:04 AM
Also what's the "controversy" surrounding Dan Simmons? I know all the dirt on Card and Hubbard. But I just love mudslinging :D

Martin
05-28-2014, 04:48 AM
By Reason of Insanity would be a great one!
More crime than horror, but Shane Stevens' By Reason of Insanity and Dead City. Alexis Machine!!!

These could be ripe for a re-release. I haven't read the other couple he's written, but when my parents forbid me to read Stephen King as a child, this is where I went (backfire!)

Sock Monkey
05-28-2014, 05:38 AM
Real answer: As for crime novels, I think James Ellroy's L.A. Quartet would make for an awesome CD collection. They need a l/e release. Would love more Jim Thompson books, but deceased autors isn't really CD's forte, so I'll leave that to CP. Other than those, like I've said before, I would kill for a CD copy of Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves or to a slightly lesser extent I would love a CD edition of John Lindqvist's Let The Right One In.

Love all of these ideas, especially Ellroy and Lindqvist! I would be so down for limited editions of those books! If I remember correctly, I believe that Centipede is releasing multiple books by Thompson next year, which I hope I'm able to afford. Love Centipede's books, but they sure aren't cheap.

Joe315
05-28-2014, 05:43 AM
Here is a couple suggestions I think would work.....

Subterranean - James Rollins This has a Jurassic Park mixed with Indiana Jones feel to it. And is NOT part of the Sigma Force series, but CD is doing Relic (Pendergast series), so why not??

I think Amazonia and Ice Hunt would be great as well.

T-Dogz_AK47
05-28-2014, 05:49 AM

When Hell freezes over would be my guess.:D

LOL! According to Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy, the ninth circle of hell IS frozen over! :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Shall I ask Brian to put you down for a lettered edition too then Tom? ;) :o :p

Theli
05-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Love all of these ideas, especially Ellroy and Lindqvist! I would be so down for limited editions of those books! If I remember correctly, I believe that Centipede is releasing multiple books by Thompson next year, which I hope I'm able to afford. Love Centipede's books, but they sure aren't cheap.

I know what you mean! I'd heard about them. Haven't had the extra dough around lately to pick up Child of Rage yet either...
That's why I'd rather CD do it! :p

TJCams
05-28-2014, 01:28 PM
I think Amazonia and Ice Hunt would be great as well.

I have not read either of those, but have heard very good reviews on them. I picked up Sandstorm (first Sigma Force novel), but have yet to get to it.

The story line and fast pacing, would be great with the work CD does though.

slayn666
05-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Also what's the "controversy" surrounding Dan Simmons? I know all the dirt on Card and Hubbard. But I just love mudslinging :D

Well it has a lot to do with his politics, which can be a touchy subject. Basically he drove right past being a reasonable conservative or even "that uncle nobody likes to stir up at Thanksgiving because he has some kind of extreme views," parked his car, then took the crazy train right into LIBERALS AND MUSLIMS ARE GOING TO LITERALLY RAPE AND MURDER US ALL.

TJCams
05-28-2014, 08:12 PM
slayn666 - hmmm..... didn't know that, but I stay as far away politics/religion as I can. Wouldn't matter to me - if it's a good book, it's a good book.

Tommy
05-28-2014, 08:26 PM
slayn666 - hmmm..... didn't know that, but I stay as far away politics/religion as I can. Wouldn't matter to me - if it's a good book, it's a good book.

I tend to agree with you up until a point, that being when an author decides to be a political activist, I'm all for authors/artists having political views but when they become a political activist it kind of negates their work, books and art should be for everyone but when the person writing the book hates and even tries to pass laws against a group or groups of people, it completely sours me on that person and makes me never want to read anything by them, I was not aware of the Simmons thing but other writers have gone the way of political activist over the years and it just doesn't bode well with me

Tommy
05-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic like that, Some books I would like to see CD do are Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite, Anything from Chuck Palanhiuk, Anything by David Moody, a Ghost Story Anniversary Edition, as mentioned before, would be cool and Duma Key by King

Edit: And also anything from Clive Barker as well and I am always on the lookout for new Ed Lee books :)

slayn666
05-28-2014, 08:48 PM
As far as I know, Simmons has relegated his vitriol to his books and his blog and doesn't actively champion any particular cause beyond those two places (as opposed to someone like Card, who is all over the place).

I can separate the artist from the art to a certain extent - I'm never going to agree with someone 100% of the time - but there comes a point where I feel I have to step back and say "No more from this person." Simmons crossed that line for me, which is unfortunate because when he's not ranting he's a damned fine writer, but I can no longer read anything written by him without thinking "this man is crazy and full of hate." However, there's more than enough good books out there to fill up two lifetimes of reading, so in the end I don't feel I'm missing out on too much.

Joe315
05-28-2014, 09:44 PM
I have not read either of those, but have heard very good reviews on them. I picked up Sandstorm (first Sigma Force novel), but have yet to get to it.

The story line and fast pacing, would be great with the work CD does though.

All of his books have been great IMO and Amazonia is the book that Rollins says that potential readers should take on first.

RJK1981
05-28-2014, 11:40 PM
Don't recall this being mentioned before, but I'd love to have limited editions of Greg Iles' books

bookworm 1
05-28-2014, 11:48 PM
No thanks. I told Brian you can have my copy.
LOL! According to Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy, the ninth circle of hell IS frozen over! :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Shall I ask Brian to put you down for a lettered edition too then Tom? ;) :o :p

bugen
05-29-2014, 02:00 AM
First I've heard anything like this with Simmons - guess I'd better check it out. A hate-mongering attitude was certainly not noticed in the 4 novels and 2 SS collections of his I've read. Quite the opposite, really, but I've only read a fraction of his library.

I will not defend Simmons' or Card's personal beliefs beyond they are entitled to have them (as long as they're not shoved in peoples' faces), but I will defend my experience of their writing as legitimate works of art worthy of study - I just haven't yet seen any negative philosophy make it up on-screen and start slapping people around. Tommy makes a great point above of once an author has switched over to activist, his opinions ARE up in people's faces and are fair game - I mostly agree. But if intended as private, personally-held beliefs, hands-off. Having a stupid opinion should not, and CAN NOT, become a crime, for that would spell the end of us all.

Sorry for going off-topic.

Anne Rice - Lives of the Mayfair Witches
Dennis Wheatley Library of the Occult volumes 9, 13, and 37 (his collections of short stories, Uncanny Tales 1, 2 and 3)

bsaenz24
05-29-2014, 02:59 AM
Yes!!! Witching Hour would make a great oversized limited!!

bookworm 1
05-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Yes it would. Loved that book.

Sock Monkey
05-29-2014, 02:25 PM
I would also like a nice limited collection of Joyce Carol Oates horror-tinged stories. Also Ramsey Campbell! A new edition of Alone With The Horrors or something along those lines. I thought Centipede was doing a multi-volume set collecting Campbell's short fiction? Anyone heard anything about that?

StephenCouch
05-29-2014, 03:52 PM
I'd love to see an LE of Mendal Johnson's Let's Go Play at the Adams'.

bugen
05-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Segei Lukyanenko - Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, Last Watch

And New Watch, but I haven't read this one and don't know how it fits in. Until a couple of days ago I had thought Last Watch was the last... watch.

Only read a couple of Joyce Carol Oates SS books, but this is an interesting idea.

bsaenz24
05-29-2014, 05:27 PM
I think the original Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice needs to be revisted. At least the first 3. Knopf did a no jacket signed set of the first three a while back, but it was not that exciting for a signed edition. That and the 3 Witch books by Rice would make my shelves even happier. Though those shelves are very much looking forward to the King DoubleDay Years!!! LOL!

Tommy
05-29-2014, 05:38 PM
I think the original Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice needs to be revisted. At least the first 3. Knopf did a no jacket signed set of the first three a while back, but it was not that exciting for a signed edition. That and the 3 Witch books by Rice would make my shelves even happier. Though those shelves are very much looking forward to the King DoubleDay Years!!! LOL!

Easton Press currently has The Vampire Chronicles

http://www.eastonpress.com/books/prod/4D8/ANNE-RICE--The-Vampire-Chronicles--Signed-Edition_0467.aspx?cm_s=anne+rice

Ben Staad
05-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Rio Youers Westlake Soul deserves a nice limited. It is an amazing book and should receive the treatment of a limited. I still think as a nice series Peter Clines Ex books would make a nice collection. Beyond that I would love to see some of Victor Gishlers books brought to a limited format.

Dan Hocker
05-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Rio Youers Westlake Soul deserves a nice limited. It is an amazing book and should receive the treatment of a limited. I still think as a nice series Peter Clines Ex books would make a nice collection. Beyond that I would love to see some of Victor Gishlers books brought to a limited format.

I think Chizine Press did Westlake Soul. I remember shipping them at least and I'm pretty sure they where limited editions.

Ben Staad
05-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Ok. I thought that was a signed PB maybe? If it was a hardbound limited I need to track one down. The author wrote a wonderful story and was actually something both me and my wife really enjoyed reading. That doesn't happen often.

I think Chizine Press did Westlake Soul. I remember shipping them at least and I'm pretty sure they where limited editions.

slayn666
05-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Branching into other genres while still maintaining that dark mystique, The Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence (for fantasy) and London Falling and The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell (urban fantasy).

Sock Monkey
05-30-2014, 01:04 AM
Ok. I thought that was a signed PB maybe? If it was a hardbound limited I need to track one down. The author wrote a wonderful story and was actually something both me and my wife really enjoyed reading. That doesn't happen often.

It was issued as a hardcover limited to 150 copies. There is currently one listed on Ebay for $39.99 buy it now price. I agree that it is an amazing novel. I read it earlier this year and it completely blew me away.

Ben Staad
05-30-2014, 01:19 AM
Thanks.

It was issued as a hardcover limited to 150 copies. There is currently one listed on Ebay for $39.99 buy it now price. I agree that it is an amazing novel. I read it earlier this year and it completely blew me away.

Theli
05-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Well it has a lot to do with his politics, which can be a touchy subject. Basically he drove right past being a reasonable conservative or even "that uncle nobody likes to stir up at Thanksgiving because he has some kind of extreme views," parked his car, then took the crazy train right into LIBERALS AND MUSLIMS ARE GOING TO LITERALLY RAPE AND MURDER US ALL.
Ha ha ha, awesome.

TJCams
05-30-2014, 12:33 PM
I'd love to see an LE of Mendal Johnson's Let's Go Play at the Adams'.

I'm still trying to find a copy of this for my book shelf.

BrianS
05-30-2014, 03:53 PM
A Good and Happy Child by Justin Evans - totally under the radar!

fanatic
05-30-2014, 06:59 PM

By far the best book I read last year !

Sock Monkey
06-01-2014, 04:40 AM
By far the best book I read last year !

Happy to see Westlake Soul getting some love. It and Rio Youers deserve it.