PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance Writing Contest

Dan Hocker
05-18-2011, 06:09 PM
http://www.writingforward.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/writing-ideas-original.jpg
This is the discussion thread for the Cemetery Dance Writing Contest

CLICK HERE to view the announcement (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?147)

CLICK HERE to submit entries for the SHORT STORY CONTEST (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/forumdisplay.php?20)

CLICK HERE to submit entries to name the chapbook (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?146)

Dan Hocker
05-18-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.writingforward.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/writing-ideas-original.jpg
So here is how the story goes. After adding “The Writers' Corner” section to the forums, I thought of what seemed to me to be a really cool idea to help promote these forums and particularly “The Writers' Corner.”

We’ve decided to hold a “Short Short Story Contest” and the winners will be featured in a chapbook alongside classic stories by Douglas Clegg, Brian Keene, and Ray Garton. Each winner will receive a $75 dollar prize as well as 5 free copies of the finished chapbook and a 50% discount on additional copies.

In conjunction with the story contest, we will also be holding a separate contest to name the chapbook. The winner of this contest will receive a $50 Store Gift Certificate and a free copy of the chapbook. Cemetery Dance Publications holds the right to veto any titles that it deems is unfit, of course.

Short Story Contest Rules, Prizes, and General Information

The story will need to fit inside a single post on these forums (10,000 characters) because it will be judged by the members of this forum.

The story should fall into the horror / suspense genres

3. No copyright infringement will be tolerated

Contestants will have 2 weeks to prepare their entries. ONE entry per person.

After these two weeks are up, a submissions window will be open for 1 week. (Do NOT post your story before the submissions window has officially opened! Early posts will be deleted and disqualified.)

See specific submission instructions when the submissions window opens. There will be a process for submitting your story.

After the submission window ends, the general forum populous will then vote on which 3 stories they like the most via a poll generated by Cemetery Dance.

Voting will take place for one week. One vote per forum member.

The top 3 stories with the most votes will receive the following prizes:

The three winning stories will be featured in a Cemetery Dance chapbook alongside 3 well-known authors.
Each winner will receive a $75 dollar prize, payable upon signing the contract. (Contract will be for a one-time printing of the chapbook, all other rights remain with the author.)
Each winner will also receive 5 free copies of the finished chapbook and a 50% discount on additional copies.

Please Note: Cemetery Dance Publications assumes no responsibility for anything that happens to your work submitted to these forums. It is a public place and we have no control over who sees the material and what they say/do. All decisions of Cemetery Dance Publications are final.

CLICK HERE to discuss this this announcement (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?145)

CLICK HERE to submit entries for the SHORT STORY CONTEST (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/forumdisplay.php?20)

CLICK HERE to submit entries to name the chapbook (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?146)

njhorror
05-18-2011, 08:10 PM
what a great freakin' idea!

I feel like I'm falling in love with CD all over again.

Dan Hocker
05-18-2011, 08:43 PM
what a great freakin' idea!

I feel like I'm falling in love with CD all over again.
I'm glad someone likes it! I'd feel like a total tool if no one did, as it was my idea.... lol.

RJK1981
05-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea. Is there going to be a common theme among the stories from Clegg, Keene, and Garton? I think the lineup of those 3 authors is absolutely wonderful as well, as Clegg and Keene are 2 of my new favorite authors I've discovered through CD. I also enjoy Garton (also found him through CD, though I remember seeing his books other times before), but prefer the other 2 if I had to choose.

Now I just need to get to writing some more. Finally started working more on my story the other day, got one whole paragraph written, lol (plus going through what I had already written). Just have to figure out exactly where I will end going with it, though I probably will just end up figuring that out as I go. :p

Dan Hocker
05-18-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't think there's going to be a common theme. I also think we're using reprints, of Clegg, Keene, and Garton although I they may not necessarily be reprints of anything we've done (not sure though tbh as that's Brian's department, not mine).

RJK1981
05-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Sounds good! Whether they are new or reprints I am sure they'll new to me

Justin Case
05-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I like the idea - will the participants be kept hidden prior to voting for objectivity?

Brian James Freeman
05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't think there's going to be a common theme. I also think we're using reprints, of Clegg, Keene, and Garton although I they may not necessarily be reprints of anything we've done (not sure though tbh as that's Brian's department, not mine).

Yep, they're reprints, but they're really GOOD reprints! :)

Brian

Tree705
05-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm trying to get my nephew interested, I think he has real potential.

Eldritch
05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Ooh!
*Gleefully rubs hands together*

Time to put the gray matter muse to work.

Dan Hocker
05-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I like the idea - will the participants be kept hidden prior to voting for objectivity?

There really isn't anyway that I can keep them hidden. This is why we reccomend the contestants post their stories early in the submission week. Although I am really not sure there is much to worry about in the objectivity department.

bsaenz24
05-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Although I am really not sure there is much to worry about in the objectivity department.

I agree. I dislike all of you equally!!!! ;)

Brian James Freeman
05-19-2011, 07:21 PM
i agree. I dislike all of you equally!!!! ;)

lol! ;)

Tree705
05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I agree. I dislike all of you equally!!!! ;)

Really, we are all just here for the coupons, you've got to know that. lol

euphoria
05-19-2011, 08:16 PM
That really IS a short, short SHORT story! We're going to have to be especially creative. Love the idea! When is the deadline to submit?

Dan Hocker
05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
That really IS a short, short SHORT story! We're going to have to be especially creative. Love the idea! When is the deadline to submit?
Contestants will have 2 weeks to prep / write their story. On June 1st I will open the submission section of the forums and contestants will then have 1 week to submit their stories. We recommend submitting your story early in that 1 week submission window. So the very maximum is a little less than 3 weeks (as we announced this yesterday). But the earlier in the week you get your story in the more time forum members will have to read your story.

Ben Staad
05-19-2011, 08:26 PM
What a fantastic idea! Thanks CD for given folks this awesome opportunity.

RJK1981
05-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Tell me about it, lol. I think I will have to start with something completely new instead of working on finishing the story I already have as it is over 7,000 characters (even after changing the spacing between sentences from 2 spaces to 1) and I don't feel it is close to being finished. Good thing I have other ideas jotted down

Dan Hocker
05-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't remember how we came up with the 10,000 character count tbh. I think Brian told me a word count he was looking for then I approximated 4 characters per word average, then added a couple thousand character buffer zone.

RichardThomas
05-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Sounds like a great idea. So we're talking about roughly a 2500 word story?

Kenwood
05-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Will the stories be posted anonymously?

Dan Hocker
05-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Will the stories be posted anonymously?

No, there's really no real good way to do that either.

C.W. LaSart
05-19-2011, 11:43 PM
This is a wonderful idea and I am very excited to participate! Just a few quick questions! What do you mean by amateur? Is this open to only unpublished writers? I have some magazine publishing under my belt and my first book, an anthology of short stories, is being released by Dark Moon Books this Fall. Am I allowed to participate? Also, is there a restriction on how extreme the horror can be? Thank you for your time and also for this opportunity!

samstephens
05-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Exciting stuff - fantastic idea Dan!

Are previously published stories okay to enter?

Thanks,
Sam

Brian James Freeman
05-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Sounds like a great idea. So we're talking about roughly a 2500 word story?

1500 to 2000 is probably more likely once you factor in spaces. :)

(I've never had to figure out a character count for submissions before, so we just went with 10,000 because it would keep the stories nice and short -- no bloat!)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-20-2011, 12:35 AM
This is a wonderful idea and I am very excited to participate! Just a few quick questions! What do you mean by amateur? Is this open to only unpublished writers? I have some magazine publishing under my belt and my first book, an anthology of short stories, is being released by Dark Moon Books this Fall. Am I allowed to participate? Also, is there a restriction on how extreme the horror can be? Thank you for your time and also for this opportunity!

Dan will post a better definition of "amateur" soon, but what we really meant was authors we weren't already publishing on a regular basis -- to give some new voices a chance to show off their work in front of our readers/collectors. So even someone who is really prolific in other markets can enter if we've missed the boat on his/her writing so far... :)

Brian

Menace
05-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Been working on a short story. Now i know what I'm going to do with it.

CurtSeattle
05-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Always wanted to be a writer, but never actually finished more than a few pages, so maybe I will use this as my springboard to writing domination. I can see it now.

I will follow my motto religiously, "Focus and get started tomorrow."

p.s. Posts: 1

Casey Criswell
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
This sounds great, I hope to give it a go!

Mickmarseviltwin
05-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Great idea, Dan. Always good to find new avenues for short stories!

Really looking forward to submitting mine and reading some of the other entries.

cheers
Pete
:)

Dan Hocker
05-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Definition of "Amateur" clarification.

In this instance, when we say "Amateur" we mean both unpublished writers and / or author's we do not publish on a regular basis. I say regular basis to give a little room, as I would not want to deny someone who may have only been published in say the magazine once or twice. I would also go so far to say that if Cemetery Dance has published one of your books you would not fall into the "Amateur" category.

peteOcha
05-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Great idea! Time do get those creative brain cells going! And good luck to all who will participate. :)

njhorror
05-20-2011, 04:51 PM
No, there's really no real good way to do that either.

People could send them to you as an attachment and you could post them.
I've seen other websites run contests this way.

Dan Hocker
05-20-2011, 04:55 PM
People could send them to you as an attachment and you could post them.
I've seen other websites run contests this way.

I could do that. I think we'll go with this one the way it is for now, if we run into problems we'll run the next one of these we do differently. I am however planning on locking people's story posts after they are posted so no one can reply to those threads.

Patrick
05-20-2011, 06:03 PM
This is a very cool contest idea! I can't write fiction worth a damn, so I'll be sitting it out, but I look forward to reading the entries. Good luck to you all!

C.W. LaSart
05-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Thank you so much for clearing that up!

jmcraven
05-21-2011, 02:12 AM
I am looking forward to this as well. I am a little curious as to how this will work out, as far as the actual voting process goes, but I do appreciate the opportunity.

Dan Hocker
05-21-2011, 02:52 AM
Here's how the voting process will go. Once the submission period is over and we give ample time for everyone to read the stories, I will post a new thread that is a "poll" thread, with each story as an option to pick. Each person will get to vote once, and we'll let it open for a week or so. Once the week is over our top 3 winners will be determined.

Pooks
05-21-2011, 03:14 AM
What is the exact timeline for submissions?

Dan Hocker
05-21-2011, 04:20 AM
What is the exact timeline for submissions?

We will be open for submission on June 1st and will remain open for 1 week (so June 1st through the 7th). We do recommend that you get your submission in as early in the submission window as possible.

Reader/WriterJNT
05-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Great news, this contest idea rules! Can't wait until June, I think i have something that will be ready by that date.

lilbirdy
05-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Is it free to enter?

Nik Houser
05-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Whew, got the rough draft done, just gotta trim it down from 24,000 characters to (gulp) 10,000. I've got a "delete" button, but is there a "dismember large swaths of text" button?

Anyway, howdy folks. Nice to be here. Longtime CD fan, first time poster.

Dan Hocker
05-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Is it free to enter?

It sure is!

Nocdar
05-22-2011, 10:15 AM
I may just have something for thissss

portrait in flesh
05-25-2011, 03:10 AM
::rubs grimy little paws with glee::
A couple of picky little questions:
1) Can anybody read the entries, or will access to the actual entries be restricted to registered members? I ask because some markets consider a story to be previously published if it's posted on a public site that anyone can access. (A different board which held an online contest dealt with this by posting the entries on a board that was only accessible to registered members who needed to enter their passwords to access the board.)
2) For the 10,000 character limit, are you including spaces between words? If so, is it OK to have a single space between sentences rather than two spaces?

Dan Hocker
05-25-2011, 03:40 AM
::rubs grimy little paws with glee::
A couple of picky little questions:
1) Can anybody read the entries, or will access to the actual entries be restricted to registered members? I ask because some markets consider a story to be previously published if it's posted on a public site that anyone can access. (A different board which held an online contest dealt with this by posting the entries on a board that was only accessible to registered members who needed to enter their passwords to access the board.)
2) For the 10,000 character limit, are you including spaces between words? If so, is it OK to have a single space between sentences rather than two spaces?

As of right now, the entry section is publicly visible. I will however confer with Brian tomorrow to see if we need to change that. I will make a post if we do, but for now assume it will be publicly viewable. As for the characters, it's what the forum software is set to. So your story has to fit in a single post on the forums. I have no problem with a single space between sentences.

Dan Hocker
05-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Here's another update. We just decided that the submission section will no longer be "Publicly" viewable. This means you will have to be a registered user to view the contest entries. Thanks!

HorrorScribe
05-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Greeting from Massachusetts! Though I'm a bit technophobic, I'm happy to be amongst such pleasant company on this forum. In fact, this is my first online discussion contribution ever. Anyway, I'm looking forward to posting my story at midnight on June 1st. Been working (and re-working and re-working, etc.) this tale for almost two years now. I think that's a personal record. Well, I'm finally content with the newest version, and I hope all of you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Best of luck to all of the contest entrants! This one's going to be tough to win, but we're in it for the guts and not for the glory. Well...perhaps for a bit of both.

JJ Holden
05-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I'd love to have a go at this. If I can find some quiet time this weekend...

Kit Russell
05-26-2011, 07:50 PM
It's been a great learning experience taking the idea I initially came up with and making it work as a short-short. Thank you so much for running this contest!

Dan Hocker
05-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm so glad everyone seems to be excited about this. Hopefully it goes well and we can do many more, or similar things in the future.

Nik Houser
05-26-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd love to see a 1st Chapter contest for horror/suspense novels here (for selfish reasons, yes, but also because I'd love to see what people put up). My own entry for this one's finally almost done. I've never had to be so merciless with the delete button. Looking forward to seeing where this contest goes.

WesleySouthard
05-26-2011, 11:17 PM
I have a quick question: If a word or phrase is needed to be italisized in our stories, should we go ahead and italisize it in the post or should it be underlined? I know it's a stupid question, but I just want to make sure everything is formatted correctly for viewing. Thanks.

portrait in flesh
05-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Initial draft done. Now to whip it into shape. ::cues training montage scene complete with bitchin' 80s soundtrack::

Dan Hocker
05-27-2011, 01:55 AM
I have a quick question: If a word or phrase is needed to be italisized in our stories, should we go ahead and italisize it in the post or should it be underlined? I know it's a stupid question, but I just want to make sure everything is formatted correctly for viewing. Thanks.

I'm not really sure. I would probably italicize it in the post.

Journey
05-27-2011, 08:29 PM
This sounds great. This is my first post but I hope to have something ready by the deadline.

His Majesty
05-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm still somewhat fuzzy on the character requirements. 10,000 with or without spaces? I've pared my story down to about 9400 without spaces. Would this be suitable for submission?

C.W. LaSart
05-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Will the submissions be open at midnight on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning? If so, what time zone will be used? Thanks.

portrait in flesh
05-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm still somewhat fuzzy on the character requirements. 10,000 with or without spaces? I've pared my story down to about 9400 without spaces. Would this be suitable for submission?

I'm going to be erring on the side of caution and am including spaces in the 10K-character limit. Using single spaces between sentences, though.

onipar
05-30-2011, 03:30 PM

The character requirement is with spaces, but he said it's okay to single space sentences to cut down on the number of spaces.

Dan Hocker
05-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Character count is with spaces. The best way to test if your submission is short enough is to see if it fits in the post window here. Obviously don't actually post it though. As far as when we will open the submissions it'll be Wednesday morning. We will probably send out a newsletter informing everyone submissions are now open and a more detailed explanation on how to submit them.

portrait in flesh
05-30-2011, 07:48 PM
::SCREAMS AND HOWLS AND TEARS OUT HAIR::

OK, now that's over with.

I did a trial run of my post. In Word, it comes out to 9,978 characters (including spaces). But, since my story includes some italicized words, I had to add the html tags to the post to get it to look correct. This bumped the count up to 10,230 characters, which obviously won't post.

Is there any way to get around this? For example, could I capitalize the words that are meant to be italicized? Or do I need to make a mad cutting edit to my piece? :confused:

Edited to add: the italicized words are foreign words and phrases, not words italicized for emphasis. I guess technically I could just drop the italics, but that sort of thing makes my fingers itch a bit.

Dan Hocker
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I'll just bump the allowed word count on the forum software up a little bit to allow for that. Ok added a buffer zone, should be more than enough extra to account for italicizing and what not.

portrait in flesh
05-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I'll just bump the allowed word count on the forum software up a little bit to allow for that. Ok added a buffer zone, should be more than enough extra to account for italicizing and what not.

Thankee kindly, sir.

JJ Holden
05-30-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm about three-quarters of the way through and I reckon I'll probably hit the absolute character limit. Not much time left, but no pressure, right? ~~also screaming and howling etc.~~

:)

Ben Staad
05-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Allright! Just finished my trial post and everything looks great. All I need to do is change some formatting and I will be good to go.

RJK1981
05-31-2011, 02:56 AM

That's great. Is there an exact amount? Almost finished with the story I started just for this since the other work in progress isn't close to being finished, but finding myself at over 10,800 characters now with at least a few hundred more before the ending. Will have to finish it up and make some cuts to it tomorrow and probably the next day as well, I just need to know how much, lol.

Maybe if I'm lucky it won't be much though, since I currently have the proper 2 spaces between sentences, lol

Dan Hocker
05-31-2011, 03:25 AM
Still shoot for 10,000 characters. I didn't really bump it up that much, just really enough to accommodate for the extra characters added by italicizing things in this forum software.

RJK1981
05-31-2011, 03:47 AM
That's what I thought and what I'll be doing over the next couple days. Thanks

C.W. LaSart
05-31-2011, 04:17 AM
Will you explain how to get italics on a post?

Dan Hocker
05-31-2011, 05:02 AM
Just high light what you want italicized then click the italics button. It then surrounds your post in I tags which is an [I*][/I*] without the astrix of course.

Nik Houser
05-31-2011, 05:30 AM
I've been doing a trial run, and have found that pasting into the post wipes out my indents. Do I get around that by adding some extra spaces, or is there a way to do indents here? Probably a stupid question with a simple answer, sorry, but thanks for answering anyway. :)

Ben Staad
05-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Nik...I think if you go to the button titled "Go Advanced" you will see an increase or decrease indent button. Hopefully this will work for you! :)

Dan Hocker
05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Nik...I think if you go to the button titled "Go Advanced" you will see an increase or decrease indent button. Hopefully this will work for you! :)

You are correct sir! One more day guys, we will be open for submissions tomorrow!

Edit: Also everyone save your final word docs of your stories, we'll probably be asking for them from the winners.

Nik Houser
05-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Cool, guys, thanks a lot.

C.W. LaSart
05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks! I was actually just trying out the italics up there to see if it worked :) Have never done it that way before!

Eldritch
05-31-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm feeling so clueless. I found the "increase indent" button, but I can't figure out how to make it work. When I preview my post, there aren't any indents showing there. Can somebody clue me in?

Dan Hocker
05-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm feeling so clueless. I found the "increase indent" button, but I can't figure out how to make it work. When I preview my post, there aren't any indents showing there. Can somebody clue me in?

It works similarly to how the italics work. You have to select the whole area you want indented. So if it's just the first line of a paragraph just highlight the first word of the paragraph then hit that indent button. If you want to indent the whole paragraph, highlight the whole paragraph and click the button. Just like the italics and bold it uses brackets and then the word indent or /indent inside the brackets to generate the desired result. If you are worried about character count though, I would skip the indents in the final post (leave them in the word doc you're working out of though). I didn't add a ton of extra characters to the count so with all the extra characters generated by the indent code it could really push you over.

njhorror
05-31-2011, 06:40 PM
The submissions OPEN tomorrow and CONTINUE for one week?

Is that it?

Dan Hocker
05-31-2011, 06:53 PM
The submissions OPEN tomorrow and CONTINUE for one week?

Is that it?

Correct

Nik Houser
05-31-2011, 07:02 PM
So, after adding indents, my story was pushed from just under 10,000 characters to 11,300. So I went back and just added 4 spaces instead of indents, and wound up at 10,322. Is this a do-able character count? Dan, thanks a lot for all your help during this pre-submission period. :)

Dan Hocker
05-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Personally I would just leave the indents out on the forum posts. Maybe just do an extra return in between each paragraph to provide the separation needed. We're a bit new at this process, it's probably something I should have specified from the beginning. We aren't going to be copying the text from the forums for the actual chapbook anyways. We'll be asking the winners for a word doc containing the story. We will probably also send them out to be proof read, as it's something we always do.

Nik Houser
05-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Good idea. Down to 10,050 and the buffer you added should take care of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

RJK1981
05-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Edit: Also everyone save your final word docs of your stories, we'll probably be asking for them from the winners.

Already done. Actually have 3 copies of it, lol, 1 because I didn't have a title originally, and then 2 copies of the final story, one for the original copy and the 2nd will be the revised copy to fit into the requirements for the posts. Did that because I want a copy of what it was before major edits/changes

Nik Houser
05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, my original was two and a half times longer. Which isn't to say it needed to be that long, but I saved it in an alternate doc, none-the-less.

Nik Houser
05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Sooo...how's everybody feeling? I confess I'm more nervous than usual for a submission. Probably because it'll be judged out in the open by peers, and because it would just be so damn cool to be published by CD.

Ben Staad
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Sooo...how's everybody feeling? I confess I'm more nervous than usual for a submission. Probably because it'll be judged out in the open by peers, and because it would just be so damn cool to be published by CD.

I've never submitted a story before to anyone so I just hope I'm not laughed out of the competition. Either way it will be cool to get some honest opinions and see how my work stacks up against others.

the_last_gunslinger
05-31-2011, 08:53 PM
I've never submitted a story before to anyone so I just hope I'm not laughed out of the competition. Either way it will be cool to get some honest opinions and see how my work stacks up against others.

This is my biggest fear as well. Not winning the competition, or not being accepted somewhere, as disappointing as it may be, isn't all that bad. But I'm always concerned that my writing is so bad that an editor would laugh it out of the office for me thinking it even had a chance.

I just had a couple people go over mine today, generally positive reviews so far. Still needs some last minute tweaks, and I'm finding that I want to rewrite entire sections and I just don't have any time left to do that.

Ben Staad
05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
This is my biggest fear as well. Not winning the competition, or not being accepted somewhere, as disappointing as it may be, isn't all that bad. But I'm always concerned that my writing is so bad that an editor would laugh it out of the office for me thinking it even had a chance.

I just had a couple people go over mine today, generally positive reviews so far. Still needs some last minute tweaks, and I'm finding that I want to rewrite entire sections and I just don't have any time left to do that.

The main thing for me is that I wrote a story that I liked. Maybe this kind of thinking won't ever make me rich but it sure makes me happy!

RJK1981
05-31-2011, 09:03 PM

Similar to how I feel. I've been in writing classes in high school and college though. Was docked 10% on my HS creative writing final story because she said I ended it too quickly, despite her seeing I was on page 9 of a 5 page requirement for the story and said to end it in within another page because she had so many to go through, lol. Oh well, instead of getting 100% I got 90%, so it was still an A. In my college class I had to submit the start of a short story for peer review, and those who read mine liked it, but didn't really do much of a review with suggestions. That is story I considered for this, but way too far from being done, and might not fall into the right category anymore.

Started writing in grade school after having to write a short story in 4th grade I think, and ended up writing a bunch since I liked it and so did others in my class. Don't have those anymore, would be nice to see how bad those actually were, lol.

Finished my story for this last night, but have to cut it down more. Wrote it mostly in the span of 2 or 3 days. This will be the first time submitting anything for publication, but hopefully I'll get lucky and be published, or if not that someone will notice and be interested

geojazz
05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
What a fantastic opportunity. Cemetery Dance is the best!

Eldritch
05-31-2011, 09:42 PM
It works similarly to how the italics work. You have to select the whole area you want indented. So if it's just the first line of a paragraph just highlight the first word of the paragraph then hit that indent button. If you want to indent the whole paragraph, highlight the whole paragraph and click the button. Just like the italics and bold it uses brackets and then the word indent or /indent inside the brackets to generate the desired result. If you are worried about character count though, I would skip the indents in the final post (leave them in the word doc you're working out of though). I didn't add a ton of extra characters to the count so with all the extra characters generated by the indent code it could really push you over.

Thanks. It still didn't work for me. I'm good though. I'm just going to add line spaces between paragraphs. At just under 9700 characters, it all fits fine.

Eldritch
05-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Good luck everyone! I can't wait to start reading all the submissions. :D

WesleySouthard
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm excited as all hell for this. Really, what it all comes down to is editing. I've spent the last three years writing and completing a novel, which I wanted to land somewhere around 80,000 words--which the first draft did (78k actually)--but when I rolled the second draft out, it came out to a whopping 124,000! I've spent the last several months editing with the help of a few writer friends, and they've completely changed my writing style for the better. They've taught me the importances and how-to's of editing, and as of right now the novel is sitting at 92k, which is something I'm very proud of. Hell, I didn't even begin writing short stories until about a year ago, and have had to learn to write in shorter form (which I find is much more difficult than novels, go figure). And don't be scared, everyone. The hardest part about writing, in the beginning, is having someone read and critique your work--but hey, isn't that what we're here for? I'm damn proud of my story--as should everyone be of their own--and can't to hear what everyone says, even if it doesn't win. Good luck, everyone! See you tomorrow...

hamount
05-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I finished mine, and it reaches about 7,000 characters. Good thing it's an amateur contest, I fit in perfectly in that department.

Nik Houser
05-31-2011, 11:55 PM
I think one of the big challenges of short fiction is the compression of characterization that's often necessary. You have to paint with broad strokes so that the reader will quickly get a three-dimentional grasp of your characters and hopely come to like them or at least be interested in what happens to them. The faster you get an editor or reader interested in the character or situation, the more likely they are to keep reading. At least, that's the way I feel. Having said all that, did I manage to do that in my story? Who knows! I hope so. Haha. A couple of weeks is a hard timeframe in which to write a story AND distance yourself from it enough to edit it objectively. Which all makes it part of the challenge, I guess.

HorrorScribe
06-01-2011, 01:19 AM
The submission window looms nigh...

I gave my story a final polish earlier this evening. It can best be described as a character driven piece. My short fiction tends to range from 3,000 - 5,000 words, so I most certainly concur with the other writers who have mentioned what a true challenge it is to completely tell a worthy tale--including a sympathetic main character, a fully realized plot, etc.--in less then 2,000 words.

Thus far, two of my flash fiction pieces have been published of the dozen or so that I've composed and submitted since June 2009. Keeping my fingers crossed with this one. Once again, to all of those who plan to enter the contest, I wish all of you the best of luck. And many sincere thanks to the folks at CD, especially Mr. Hocker, for devising and running this exciting competition.

bsaenz24
06-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Ok, this may not be in good taste, but I am now offering my vote for whoever wants to pay me ONE MILLION DOLLARS (pinkie finger held up to the corner of my mouth)!!!!!! LOL!!

Dan Hocker
06-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Ok, this may not be in good taste, but I am now offering my vote for whoever wants to pay me ONE MILLION DOLLARS (pinkie finger held up to the corner of my mouth)!!!!!! LOL!!

Nice Austin Powers reference Brad!

Antmusic
06-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Hmm, maybe the stories should be posted anon so people won't be tempted to pay Brad. ;)

bsaenz24
06-01-2011, 03:07 AM
Hmm, maybe the stories should be posted anon so people won't be tempted to pay Brad. ;)

Fine, for you,the price is now ONE MILLION AND ONE!!

Antmusic
06-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Fine, for you,the price is now ONE MILLION AND ONE KISSES!!

Brad!

peteOcha
06-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Just a quick question, will the voting be open to any forum member, even those who register after the voting begins? Or do you have to be registered before voting opens in order to be able to vote?

Good luck everyone! C'mon US timezone, be wednesday already!:)

Ben Staad
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
When are we going to be able to post our work?

Dan Hocker
06-01-2011, 02:06 PM
When are we going to be able to post our work?

Right now! Just got into the office and opened up the submissions. Check the announcements.

Dan Hocker
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Just a quick question, will the voting be open to any forum member, even those who register after the voting begins? Or do you have to be registered before voting opens in order to be able to vote?

Good luck everyone! C'mon US timezone, be wednesday already!:)

Voting will be open to all members. There's no real way to limit that sadly.

Nik Houser
06-01-2011, 02:21 PM
So, is there to be a thread for commenting on stories after we read them, or is that to be done in the same thread as the actual stories?

Dan Hocker
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
So, is there to be a thread for commenting on stories after we read them, or is that to be done in the same thread as the actual stories?

Hmm, I'll start one up.

Nik Houser
06-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh damn, I somehow managed to not capitalize part of my story's title in the name of the thread. Is there a way I can go back and fix it? I've been trying to manage it by using the edit entry feature, but can't manage to actually change the title of the thread itself so I can capitalize Inferno.

portrait in flesh
06-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Story's submitted. Now I think I'll go lock myself in a dark room and whimper softly for a while. (I'm prone to stress-related seizures, and I just can't handle the pressure, man.)

Dan Hocker
06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Oh damn, I somehow managed to not capitalize part of my story's title in the name of the thread. Is there a way I can go back and fix it? I've been trying to manage it by using the edit entry feature, but can't manage to actually change the title of the thread itself so I can capitalize Inferno.

I'll fix it Nik.

Dan Hocker
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Errr maybe I won't. It appears to be fixed in the actually post, but it won't change the thread title for some reason. No big deal though.

TerryE
06-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Well, I got mine finished and posted in time. I surprised myself since I tend to stretch out everything that I write. When I first read the submission guidelines, I misread and thought it said a 10,000 word limit and wondered how Dan could consider that to be a short, short story. Then I realized it was characters and thought I had no chance of writing something that small. Good luck to everyone.

Ricky
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm probably reading this wrong, but does submission voting begin today, or after the 1-week submission window (I'm guessing that would be the 8th)?

And thanks to everyone at CD who got this organized. What a fantastic idea and opportunity for writers. :)

Antmusic
06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I believe next week, Ricky.

Dan Hocker
06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I believe next week, Ricky.

Correct, voting will begin after the submission period. Probably the 8th maybe the 9th depending on the schedule around here.

JJ Holden
06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh my, hitting that submit button was scary!

Having said that, thanks everyone at CD for this. It's very, very cool.

Thad Linson
06-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Having said that, thanks everyone at CD for this. It's very, very cool.

You aren't kidding that it was scary hitting that button. But it was a bit freeing at the same time. Good luck to all!

RJK1981
06-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Finally finished editing it down and am at 9,996 characters. Going to give it one last read before submitting it though, which will probably happen after I wake up tomorrow so I can step away from it for a little while first.

Draven Ames
06-03-2011, 07:55 PM

I've never doubted myself like I have for this. Good luck to everyone. I've read about 20 submissions so far and I don't know who to vote for.

Randy D. Rubin
06-05-2011, 12:36 PM
As long as I have been writing for myself, I find comfort in knowing there is a place where common minds can come and share their ideas. Please have fun reiewing my submission to the recent contest. I know you will enjoy it.

hamount
06-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Huh, I think I'm one of the very few who didn't have to cut my word count to fit in the post.

Mr. Rice
06-09-2011, 03:13 AM
I am confused. Does submissions end today and voting end tomorrow? I'm posting mine just in case I'm not too late. I didn't even know about the competition until the beginning of the month.

Len Strom
06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
I am new to the site. How do I vote.

Thank you.................

Dan Hocker
06-09-2011, 11:52 PM
http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?325-Writing-Contest-Voting-is-Here!!!!

ozmosis7
06-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Off-topic, but curious. Is there a setting that allows you to automatically subscribe to any topic that you reply to? Or do you have to manually subscribe to each?

ozmosis7
06-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Never mind. Think I found it.