X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible prequel to "The Shining"

Mostly just speculation, but here it is:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...equel-20120729

If there was to be a prequel, first off I would want it to come from King. Second, I would be more interested in previous events at the Overlook, rather than the life of young Jack...

<sigh>
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I don't think we'd ever see it come from King in movie form, I'm pretty sure when I heard about this on the radio the other morning that they said King didn't actually like the original movie.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Maybe if they did a series of intersecting stories from The Scrapbook or Before the Play it could work...
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

It's awful late to be cashing in the original, but that's what it seems like. As Lilja mentioned, they seem to want to time it with a possible Dr. Sleep adaptation to milk off of that. No matter, it's a bad idea, especially without King's involvement.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            I don't think we'd ever see it come from King in movie form, I'm pretty sure when I heard about this on the radio the other morning that they said King didn't actually like the original movie.
            King didn't like the movie thats why he wrote the tv version. its almost exactly the book, line for line, scene for scene. Bad casting/effects but deff true to the book.

Comment

Yep, King definitely didn't like the movie, and neither did I (The kid just irritated the heck out of me the way they had him do REDRUM).

I highly prefer the TV version, though the casting could have been improved.
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

Oh, and I really don't see how they could do a prequel based off of Jack since there really doesn't seem to be anything there worthy of a horror movie there. I could see it being possible if it was something centered on The Overlook, though I don't think they should do that either.
                Spoiler!

Comment

Have Jack as a recurring face in the stories, but never a major player. Until he steps foward at the end.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I think I might have a new favorite quote for King. Here he's commenting on the possibility of a prequel to The Shining based on "Before the Play."

"I’m not saying I would put a stop to the project, because I’m sort of a nice guy. When I was a kid, my mother said, ‘Stephen if you were a girl, you’d always be pregnant.’ "

The whole blurb is on Lilja's Library: http://liljas-library.com/article.php?id=3501
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Ha ha ha! Freaking hilarious quote. Yeah I don't know how I feel about this prequel. I'd give it a shot if it gets some good names tied to it, but it doesn't seem promising. Also I think The Shining, book and the movie are equal. Obviously they are quite different, while King's The Shining is a masterpiece based on psychological effect and the familiarity of the family unit, Kubrick's The Shining is an absolute visual treat with great acting that stays with you long after first viewing. Both great in their own ways.

Comment

I'd hate to have to follow up anything Kubrick did. Hyams tried to follow up 2001, and while it wasn't a disaster, it paled in comparison.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

It'd be damn hard to follow up any Kubrick movie, he had a very unique visual style.

Comment

Yeah, King can bitch about The Shining all he wants to. You don't sell the movie rights of your book to a director like Kubrick whose inclinations and beliefs are so different than your own, and well-known, if want to keep the story and feel intact. If it wasn't his decision, too bad. It can even be argued that Kubrick's film is not an adaptaion of the novel, but his own take on the story.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I think I would have liked the Kubrick film more if it wasn't for the kid.
                              Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                              X