Time enough at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time enough at last

Borrowing the title from the Twilight Zone episode which I'm sure all of you are familiar with where Burgess Meredith is the avid bookworm who never can find the time to do all the reading he wants. He is in the bank vault where he works when nuclear war breaks out. He emerges to find himself the lone survivor, making his way thru the devastation he arrives at the public library. He muses over all the great books he is surrounded by and is jubliant at having "Time enough at last" to read to his hearts content. The great twist to the story is he drops his pop bottle thick glasses and they shatter leaving him nearly blind and unable to read.

I find myself in a similar situation, thursday while cutting firewood I tore my achilles tendon completely loose. Yesterday I had surgery to reattache it, during the procedure they ended up having to do a second operation to cut my calf muscle because it was to tight. So I can not put any weight on my foot for two months followed by gradual use and face a complete year for recovery if all goes well. So here I have "Time enough at last" to read and read and read. However the pain medication I am currently taking leaves me unable to read, its just so much gibberish, I read a paragraph and I'm like "what did I just read" so re-read it and have the same reaction again, so give up.l so look forward to weaning my self off the meds as quick as possible.

Really sucks, warm dry weather just got here last week, so I dont have any fire wood in to speak of, will miss out on the fishing season and worst of all my mushroom hunting season is over. Luckily I have a great brother and nephew who will get my wood in. Its a summer lost.

Got home from the hospital and saw the great Friday 13th sale and it was 10:30 pm and figured it had sold out already but was able to get in on it, so hope I get some great books in the mystery bag.
    Last edited by paperdragon; 07-15-2012, 02:48 AM.
    If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

That's terrible, PD! I hope everything goes well; Sucks about the medication. Everytime I got perscribed meds, I took half the recommended dosage and never had a problem (except with a little bit of pain.) But eventually, you'll be able to dig into those books.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident. Take it easy and hopefully your recovery will be quicker than expected.

Comment

Sounds very rough. Sorry to hear about the accident and I hope you heal up quickly.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Ouch. Sorry.

Comment

Like everyone else, I hope you heal very quickly, and feel better long before that.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I'll add my well wishes to everyone else's. Hope you're up and about as soon as possible!

Comment

yikes! Take it easy and let it heal.

Audiobooks my friend. Audiobooks.
                "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

I think he is just as likely to forget with an audiobook if its the drugs making him this way. Hopefully your feeling better to get off the strong stuff soon though. I can't read now either...its too quiet of an activity. Allows the mind to wander. Sorry about ur tendon...feel better soon paper.

Comment

i think my doc wants to mess with my tendons; i don't want him to

Comment

Working...
                    X