PDA

View Full Version : King story most in need of a sequel/prequel.

njhorror
05-17-2011, 07:12 PM
That's right! I'm at it again and I will be heard.

STORM OF THE CENTURY

plenty of room for a great sequel and a really creepy, horrifying prequel!

That's right, I said it!

bsaenz24
05-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Maybe it's just because he discussed doing it already, but The Shining really would mae a great sequel to see what happened when the boy grew up.

RJK1981
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Maybe it's just because he discussed doing it already, but The Shining really would mae a great sequel to see what happened when the boy grew up.

I think that would be great. I remember seeing that he'd discussed it before, but can't remember when. Hope he does it sometime

bsaenz24
05-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Since he has written the Dark Tower book he talked about along with the Shining sequel, hopefully that might be next. Of course, I would be just as happy with Talisman 3.

Aceprincess
05-17-2011, 10:34 PM
I can think of two that that would be interesting for prequel exploration and possibly there could be a story there? Firestarter and The Green Mile.

Randall Flagg
05-18-2011, 12:49 AM
The Stand. Randall Flagg lives on.

Brian James Freeman
05-18-2011, 03:30 AM

ha, that might be the best start to a post yet! :)

Brian

Martin
05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
It is time for a sequel to Eyes of the Dragon!

Tree705
05-18-2011, 07:09 PM

STORM OF THE CENTURY

plenty of room for a great sequel and a really creepy, horrifying prequel!

That's right, I said it!

That has to be the best choice for a prequel I would really like to see a sequel The Shining and/or Firestarter

njhorror
05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I've posted this at every place I can think of including StephenKing.com. I believe in it so much that I would quit my job and research Roanoke and get coffee, at union scale! (and pray to God that the book/movie takes 10 years to complete)

I know, I know . . . I'm too good. It's a fault. http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

It was a great made for tv movie and both ends are open to exploration.
Especially what becomes of the kid? Does his father ever find him again? etc.

Ben Staad
05-19-2011, 09:36 PM
I think that would be great. I remember seeing that he'd discussed it before, but can't remember when. Hope he does it sometime

I thought I read somewhere this book was maybe in the works and it had a title of something like Dr. Sleep? Can anyone else confirm this.

Ben Staad
05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
The Stand. Randall Flagg lives on.

Thumbs way up for a continuation of RF.

TerryE
05-19-2011, 09:41 PM
I was just thinking about this past week. The Club from "The Breathing Method" must be visited again. In fact, it would make a great framing device for a collection of stories, possibly by Steve and friends. Or even let anyone who wants to, run with the idea a la the Chthulu Mythos stories after Lovecraft.

frik51
05-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Great idea!!

sk

His Majesty
05-20-2011, 04:58 PM
The Mist.

We all know how the movie ended, but the novella....man!

srboone
05-20-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm not a fan of after-thought sequels and prequels. :(

But I think Roland LeBay, Christine's original owner, might have a tale to tell that's worth hearing...

Patrick
05-20-2011, 07:52 PM
I'd love for King and Straub to revisit Jack Sawyer like they keep promising.

frik51
05-20-2011, 08:33 PM
They will, they will - I don't think it'll be too long....

sk

cdfan
05-20-2011, 11:54 PM
yes...http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/11/25/stephen-king-on-shining-sequel/

in case link doesn't work, it was when Under the Dome came out. He talks about that title but that it wasn't likely to happen. On his site at one time I thought he did a poll to get fan reaction about what book they'd like to see, Dr. Sleep or a new dark tower and we know a new dark tower is on the way so maybe he has dropped the idea for now.

frik51
05-21-2011, 02:01 AM
For now, maybe, but I bet Dr. Sleep will be here sooner than we think.

sk

folgersnyourcup
05-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Storm of the Century is one of my personal favorites. I would be more than happy to see some addition to that storyline..

DWWS10
05-25-2011, 05:20 AM
I would love to see a sequel to "The Mist". Also, I'd love to see a sequel to "Pet Semetary". Wasn't there a brief metion of the Wendigo in that book? I'd love to see that creature woven into the fabric of a sequel. And then there's "Popsy", the creature from the story of the same name who is also the title character in "The Night Flier" (according to King himself). I'd love to know more about him *and* his grandson. And while we're on that subject, I *REALLY* want to know more about what goes on on that boat that Popsy's grandson was headed for. That idea, in and of itself, would make a fantastic (and *horrifying*!) story.

HorrorScribe
05-30-2011, 07:24 PM
All of these are superb ideas so far. However, I haven't seen mention of Needful Things (one of my top five favorite King novels ever). In the epilogue, Leland Gaunt--under a new name--had set up shop in another unsuspecting town. For the past twenty years, I've contemplated what happened there and how many other places that little devil tormented in such deviously entertaining ways. But even more interesting would be to see him team up with an uber-villian like Randall Flagg to wreak havoc in this world and/or in the many others in the King universe. Or, better yet, Gaunt vs. Flagg. Let the epic battle begin...

bsaenz24
05-31-2011, 12:32 AM
All of these are superb ideas so far. However, I haven't seen mention of Needful Things (one of my top five favorite King novels ever). In the epilogue, Leland Gaunt--under a new name--had set up shop in another unsuspecting town.

I think in the sequel, Leland's new store would be called Ebay!!! ;)

frik51
05-31-2011, 06:59 AM
I think in the sequel, Leland's new store would be called Ebay!!! ;)

Love it!

sk

HorrorScribe
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Ebay can be fairly horrific in any number of ways. Perhaps the creator was inspired by Needful Things. Why not pit the world's online shoppers against one another? Talk about population control! Perhaps we've uncovered a conspiracy here...

**extricates himself out of that most unforgiving of blackholes called a "tangent"**

Anyway, re-routing myself to a destination approximating a sequel-related topic: Does King intend to complete The Plant? He offered what was titled "Part One: Zenith Rising" on his website about ten years ago. When I finished reading it, I asked myself, "Where's the rest of it?" What a tease that was. However, I'll be first in line to purchase the (currently hypothetical) continuation of that tale. No matter the cost. I need closure so that the section of my brain dedicated to unresolved thoughts regarding The Plant can be used for something more productive than wondering about this story that may very well never reach completion.

frik51
05-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Anyway, re-routing myself to a destination approximating a sequel-related topic: Does King intend to complete The Plant?

He says he doesn't. But that would be such a shame, I think.
I still have part 1 lying unread on my shelves, hoping against hope for the day King will water his Plant again.

sk

RJK1981
05-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Where could I find The Plant? I didn't hear about it until recently, so I have yet to read part 1. Then again, maybe that wouldn't be a good idea if King won't complete the story, lol

HorrorScribe
06-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Where could I find The Plant?

Unforutunately, The Plant hasn't been available to download in eleven years or so. Although you may already be aware of this portion of King's web site, here is a link to information regarding The Plant: http://www.stephenking.com/library/novel/plant:_zenith_rising_the.html/.

Nocdar
06-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I would like to see more about Jack Sawyer and I had heard that Peter and Stephen have already considered it likely. Another character I'd like more of is that old guy from Thinner. Now I know Richard Bachman died of pseudonym cancer back in, like, '85. But I think Stephen could carry the torch for that old gypsy.

frik51
06-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I would like to see more about Jack Sawyer and I had heard that Peter and Stephen have already considered it likely.

More than likely - definitely.
It's only a matter of finding the right time.
I think (hope!) soon.

sk

lilbirdy
06-13-2011, 08:48 AM
More than likely - definitely.
It's only a matter of finding the right time.
I think (hope!) soon.

sk

I hope you are right!

Draven Ames
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I thought I read somewhere this book was maybe in the works and it had a title of something like Dr. Sleep? Can anyone else confirm this.

I heard that, too. I read it on his forums.

frik51
06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Dr. Sleep is the upcoming sequel to The Shining, not Talisman III.

sk

ozmosis7
06-13-2011, 11:40 AM
More than likely

The question is whether it would be a book or for the graphic novel line they are planning for talisman.

frik51
06-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Going by what King and Straub have revealed so far, there will be a third Talisman novel.
The question being, when will these authors find the opportunity to work together again?!

The graphic Talisman novel is out there.
At least, the first arc: The Road of Trials.
I don't think it sold too well, so unfortunately (I feel) this project is on hiatus for now.
Forever???

sk

http://dyn4.media.titanbooks.com/products/4974/talisman.jpg

njhorror
06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
storm of the century is one of my personal favorites. I would be more than happy to see some addition to that storyline..

yessssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

TerryE
06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
re: Dr. Sleep. When King did his Under the Dome signing in Baltimore, he mentioned his thoughts on this idea. He said the same things that are mentioned in the EW article linked above. But he also mentioned tinkering with the idea of Danny hooking up with Charlie McGee from Firestarter. Now wouldn't they have some interesting children???

It's been 26 years since Pennywise last walked the streets of Derry. Did the kids really kill It? If not, It's cycle is due to restart real, real soon.

peteOcha
06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
It's been 26 years since Pennywise last walked the streets of Derry. Did the kids really kill It? If not, It's cycle is due to restart real, real soon.

...and now Pennywise has given up on Derry, only to pay a visit to... Castle Rock. Now that I would like to see.:)

Slee1978
06-27-2011, 08:59 PM
re: Dr. Sleep. When King did his Under the Dome signing in Baltimore, he mentioned his thoughts on this idea. He said the same things that are mentioned in the EW article linked above. But he also mentioned tinkering with the idea of Danny hooking up with Charlie McGee from Firestarter. Now wouldn't they have some interesting children???

That would be a really good book. Hope so.

Tito_Villa
06-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I would love any more information on Cell, god i hated how he left that one, so very frustrating!!!

peteOcha
06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I would love any more information on Cell, god i hated how he left that one, so very frustrating!!!

Ooooh, now that's one I would like as well. King and zombies... Can't go wrong there!

srboone
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Gotta disagree with you. I like the ending. It was the best part of the novel. Overall, i would placeCell in the "average" King section.

Tito_Villa
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Usually i don't mind being left to make my own mind up how things proceeded after the authors ending but that's one i'm craving for more info on!

mhatchett
06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
The Mist! Too good not to finish.

Tito_Villa
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
The Mist! Too good not to finish.

That is a brilliant idea, the ending to that book is one of the most haunting i have ever read!

mhatchett
06-29-2011, 11:23 PM
True! And probably as honest an ending as you'll find. But there is so much wiggle room here. The story could go anywhere. One of my favorites.

srboone
07-01-2011, 05:05 AM
A lot of times, the actual resolution isn't as important as simply the fact that characters survived to the point where such a crossraods was reached. What happens in the aftermath of Cell and The Mist isn't that important to me. I don't need to know what happens after that.

Unless King thinks it's important.

Tito_Villa
07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Well i need to know just like a fat child needs cake :)

srboone
07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Well i need to know just like a fat child needs cake :)

I've seen your picture in the Collections thread; that's a really baaaaaad analogy....:rolleyes:

Tito_Villa
07-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I've seen your picture in the Collections thread; that's a really baaaaaad analogy....:rolleyes:

Que, there is no cake in any of my pics :)

fmancino
07-02-2011, 12:22 AM

Definitely agree ;)