PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance magazine to re-open to submissions later this year

Brian James Freeman
07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
We’ll be ready to re-open Cemetery Dance magazine to submissions later this year, but we’re going to be doing things a little differently this time around. Read more on our website:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/cemetery-dance-magazine-reopening-to-submissions-later-this-year/

Brian

TerryE
07-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Great news. Keep us informed.

Hedda Gabler
07-12-2012, 10:01 PM
nothing to see here

peteOcha
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Awesome news! Time to get writing!!:)

Teriw
07-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Maybe someone should submit the forum story when it's done...if it turns out ok anyway. Going good so far.

Ben Staad
07-13-2012, 01:33 AM
"Most common reasons for rejection are: lack of power, lack of originality, slow pacing, poor writing, boring themes."

I think they may have read my work before! LOL

RichardThomas
07-19-2012, 03:08 AM
yeah, totally stoked you guys are opening up submissions again. definitely will submit.

JJ123
07-19-2012, 06:44 AM
I do think it is cool that Cemetery Dance will once again be open to submissions, but, at the same time, I've often wondered if it might be best for the magazine to simply keep using its usual contributors and remain closed to those who aren't already established. I may end up submitting a story (especially since it is being done through an electronic system, which I like better than postal mail), but I have to assume, simply because of statistical reality, that my work will not get accepted.

At the end of the day -- and there is nothing wrong with this -- Cemetery Dance will most likely go with the usual suspects. I think most amateur authors (like myself) would be best served trying other markets. And the announcement says the magazine will only be open for two months. To me, I think it would be easier on the publication's editorial staff if the publisher remained permanently closed.

Of course, that being said, I encourage some in this forum who have established themselves to go for it. Such as Richard and C.W. Hopefully you get in, it would be nice to see that. But I do hope I personally can resist the Cemetery Dance allure and move on to other markets. The magazine already has its go-to gals and guys, and it probably should simply retain that status quo.

Yet, I do have a question: what is the value of opening to submissions besides the chance that some new writers will be discovered? That might sound like I am begging the question (I truly hope I have used that phrase correctly here, I am going to look it up as soon as I submit this post; as we all know, begging the question was not originally meant to indicate someone bringing up the question), but I don't mean it as such. Like Mad Magazine (now there's another market I would love to find success with), it's difficult to get past the gatekeepers, and it seems as if the gatekeepers are happy enough to work with those they've worked with before and to only work with new talent on a selective, by-agent basis. The only thing I can come up with is the value of marketing: does Cemetery Dance thrive in part because many readers are amateur authors? I'm not sure that's true; obviously many are, but I would assume the product would still be popular without open submissions. Then again, maybe I should pose the interrogative to the group: do you read Cemetery Dance because you would like to be published in it someday?

In closing, let me say I wish everyone who intends to submit the best of luck. And yes, I concede, I may end up being one of them.

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Yet, I do have a question: what is the value of opening to submissions besides the chance that some new writers will be discovered?

It's an excellent question and you answered it perfectly yourself. In CD #66, two of the stories originally arrived unsolicited. In CD #65, I believe it was three of the stories. Same deal with #64. Looking forward to #67, it's two or three. #68 will be three as well.

If you go back to the early days of the magazine, almost all of the fiction was unsolicited. A lot of those authors went on to be some of our bestselling authors in the book line.

New blood is good for any publication, and one of the reasons we keep publishing the magazine (even though it makes no financial sense to do so) is because we love finding new voices in the genre.

Of course, on the surface, you are correct about the odds. If we have 2 or 3 slots in each issue for unsolicited stories, and we publish 4 issues a year (the current plan), that's maybe 12 slots. If 500 stories arrive during the reading period, those aren't good "odds." But submitting to a magazine isn't like buying a lottery ticket or playing some other game of chance. If you're written an outstanding story that is perfect for the publication, your odds aren't 12 in 500... they're much better than that. But, of course, maybe your perfect story is just like another story they just purchased. Or maybe there are 12 other stories that came in that are just a little more perfect for the magazine. Submitting unsolicited stories to any publication is a combination of hard work (on your writing) and lucky timing (sending the right story at the right time).

Of course, the reason we were closed to submissions is because we have this tendency to not think about "slots" to fill, we just buy anything that really strikes our fancy... and that's how we ended up buying too much and having to close to submissions for a while. (Some stories bought out of the "slush" have also ended up in the Shivers anthologies.)

Thanks for the great question. I hope this information is at least somewhat helpful.

Brian

C.W. LaSart
07-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the shout-out, JJ (though I hardly feel established). I think Brian explained things very well, but I would like to add something. Submitting to CD has the odds against you, but not submitting makes the odds a big fat 0! It doesn't hurt to submit. I think everyone who wants to do so, should go for it! Including you, JJ ;) Just think what a delightful surprise it would be to be chosen.

RichardThomas
07-20-2012, 02:06 AM
thanks for the kind words, too, JJ. and Brian is 100% correct. i got into Shivers VI through the slush. i got very lucky, the fact that King & Straub were included, just good timing. but you have to put it out there. i'd LOVE to be in CD, the magazine. it would be an honor, so i'm definitely going to submit, got one story right now that might be a good fit. what's the worst thing that can happen? they pass. so you lose a little time, it's not like your story can't find a good home elsewhere. i continue to submit my work to F&SF, Clarkesworld, Shock Totem, Shroud, and all kinds of dark, difficult markets, like CD, many with an acceptance rate of 1% or less. why? because i have to know that i at least tried.

i'll tell you another story. i had a horror story that i liked a lot, but wasn't sure how good it was. a friend entered a contest and told me i should too. i showed him the story, he said it was great. i doubted it. i entered at the last minute anyway. it was at a public horror forum, and the members (i was new, and didn't know anybody, really) voted. the top ten stories got shown to an editor of a top horror magazine. i read the stories, made my votes, and then limped away thinking, "ah, i don't have a chance in hell, i won't even make the top TEN out of 65 entries." i snuck in with the 9th most votes. but others ahead of me, some really great stories, (and some i thought were just okay, maybe voted up by being a popular member) had 30, 40 votes. i was doomed. the ten stories went to the editor blind, he didn't know who wrote which one, or how many votes were cast for which story. can you guess how this story ends? usually, with a 9th place finish. but i won the contest. i was shocked. in fact, my friend emailed me, i'd already given up. when i spoke to the editor about it he said it really had great tension. it was very cool.

write your best story, and send it to the top markets. look at the recent CD chapbook that was just announced. man, it looks so GREAT. i'm so happy for the people that won and got in. even though i just missed making it, that story ended up in an anthology alongside Jack Ketchum. and i'm really proud of everyone that got into this book, and excited to read the work by the "masters" as well as the "students." we're all family here, we encourage each other, yeah?

no pain, no gain, right? go for it, and let the editors sort the stories out.

PS: five years ago i had absolutely NOTHING published.

C.W. LaSart
07-20-2012, 02:24 AM
I second what Richard says and add that 3 years ago, I had nothing published. I had never even submitted anything. I submitted my first story on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I could be sitting back right now just writing and not submitting instead of publishing. Give yourself a shot.

Martin
07-20-2012, 03:23 AM
I will give the view from a lifetime subscriber to Cemetery Dance Magazine. One of the things that attracted me to the magazine was that I love stories, and I love discovering stories from people I have not read before. Would I have a lifetime subscription to the magazine if they did not mix in new authors, probably. Would I look forward to each new edition as much as I do if it only contained the usual suspects, probably not.

JJ123
07-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Brian,

Thank you for your reply. That information is indeed helpful, because I didn't think of looking at the odds in the way you described. The odds are still stacked against any individual, but anything less than the total submissions you receive should be looked at as a positive. And I wasn't aware of the slush pile's relationship with the Shivers anthology.

You said something interesting in your post: you said that the magazine doesn't necessarily make financial sense to publish at this point. I'm taking that to mean it is a loss leader for the rest of the Cemetery Dance venture. In the new digital economy, I can see how this can be true. I was wondering what Cemetery Dance plans to keep growing. I have a suggestion: what about trying to expand your brand into the independent movie business? If I recall correctly, wasn't Mr. Chizmar going to do that at one point (maybe that's a phantom memory, I'm not sure)? Perhaps the magazine should try to buy movie/TV rights to the stories they purchase for the magazine, maybe on an option-type basis at the least, and then attempt to interest a studio or production company in them. Perhaps Cemetery Dance should get into the short-film business and utilize a YouTube channel as a showcase platform. Like I say, Mr. Chizmar to the best of my recollection was going to approach some kind of new model like that, so I guess what I am suggesting is that a more aggressive tack should be used. And I'll say this: you probably would be better off buying movie rights from newcomers rather than the very established writers you constantly publish, only because it might be cheaper that way; I obviously wouldn't mind seeing filmed product based on the regular contributors, but I can only imagine that they would demand a much higher price.

I'll tell you, I would love to see a series of Creepshow-like horror anthologies under the Cemetery Dance banner, that would be a lot of fun. Or, imagine a Cemetery Dance film done like that Trick 'r Treat film from a few years back -- Halloween would never be the same again (and that would be for the better).

JJ123
07-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Richard,

That's a great story about how you won that competition. It is definitely inspiring, and I will take your advice seriously. And that is very cool that you are alongside King and Straub in the anthology...that is something I would love to do one day, be in an anthology with a major name. Thanks for replying.

JJ123
07-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks, C.W., for your encouragement. I'll tell you, since this is going to be an e-submission system, there is a good chance I will try Cemetery Dance again. Many years ago, I submitted several stories to the magazine, but the wait became so long that I stopped doing it (not the magazine's fault, certainly, just the nature of the beast). If it was a postal process this time around, I can pretty much say I wouldn't give it a go. But we'll see what happens. You are correct in your philosophy about submitting, by the way. I just sometimes feel that other markets might be more efficient to try. But I do have a few stories that I like, so perhaps one of them could become a Cemetery Dace submission. Thanks again.

JJ123
07-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Martin,

I enjoy discovering new writers as well. I can't remember if Cemetery Dance has done this before, but they should consider doing an issue with all new writers.

I assume a lot of readers are like yourself, in that they are not necessarily writers reading the market for purposes of submitting. It works best that way, I think.

Brian James Freeman
07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
You said something interesting in your post: you said that the magazine doesn't necessarily make financial sense to publish at this point. I'm taking that to mean it is a loss leader for the rest of the Cemetery Dance venture.

Richard grew up on horror magazines like The Twilight Zone and The Horror Show and dozens of others, and we think it's important to keep that tradition alive. So even though the magazine just breaks even, we keep on plugging away because it's fun and we love it and we hope our readers are still getting a kick out of it. :)

I'll tell you, I would love to see a series of Creepshow-like horror anthologies under the Cemetery Dance banner, that would be a lot of fun. Or, imagine a Cemetery Dance film done like that Trick 'r Treat film from a few years back -- Halloween would never be the same again (and that would be for the better).

I definitely love this idea and it's something we've kicked around before. There are a lot of costs that go into doing something like that right, but when you do it right, the results can be outstanding!

Richard started a production studio called Chesapeake Films with Johnathon Schaech, who also grew up in the Edgewood, Maryland, area. It's separate from Cemetery Dance, though. They're doing some fun stuff.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
07-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I assume a lot of readers are like yourself, in that they are not necessarily writers reading the market for purposes of submitting. It works best that way, I think.

Given a lot of submissions we see, I can promise you that most of the authors who submit stories have never read a single issue of the magazine. ;)

Brian

Lucian Poll
10-15-2012, 12:52 AM
I finished a second draft of a story (it's now in the hands of Quality Control) with this upcoming submission window in mind, only to then re-check the guidelines and find I'm 2000 words over budget! Gah! I can't tempt you into bumping up the maximum word count to around 7000 could I? Go on, just this once? For me?

Oh well, not to worry. I'd better get this other idea down on paper toot sweet!

Xiabei
10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
I've got a huge stack of "Twilight Zone" magazines in my nightstand, and to me the only thing that comes close is CD. I hope it keeps going for a long, long time.

And I admit, aside from the "big" names who have stories in it, I don't know who most of the other writers are. Discovery is fun. Just imagine seeing your name in there, or mine! :o

edit: hmm, not open now?

Brian James Freeman
10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I finished a second draft of a story (it's now in the hands of Quality Control) with this upcoming submission window in mind, only to then re-check the guidelines and find I'm 2000 words over budget! Gah! I can't tempt you into bumping up the maximum word count to around 7000 could I? Go on, just this once? For me?

Oh well, not to worry. I'd better get this other idea down on paper toot sweet!

I always say this: "If the story is awesome, word count is just a suggestion."

The corollary to that is, "Editors set guidelines for a reason, and if you're going to go against those guidelines, you'd better be really sure of what you're doing."

:)

Brian

Randy D. Rubin
10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
I know I'm looking forward to getting something totally awesome into this magazine if it kills me! I can't wait for the window to open... that first cool breeze of anticipation and night air... the invitation to enter... the lure, the seduction... then, without warning, BAM! The story attacks you... it grabs at your throat, holding you immobile, helpless, wanting to scream, 'Stop, stop scaring me' but the story never stops bombarding you with horrors and constricting twists and tightening turns... and before you know it... you've made it into Cemetery Dance Magazine and you're so happy the tears just flow from your eyes. You can't stop it; you don't WANT to stop it. You can go to your worm infested grave a true believer in miracles.

Lucian Poll
10-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Brian. It's much appreciated. I'm very happy with the way my story has turned out, but this one falls squarely under dark mystery. (Hence the word count, as there's a fair amount going on.) I get the feeling I'm pushing my luck a little too far, but it's got to be worth a shot.

(That said, I'll still work on that other idea, NaNo permitting!)

Randy, I'm sold! After that passage I look forward to seeing your work in CD!

Randy D. Rubin
10-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Thank you Lucian, I hope to make the grade. You have an awesome name, by the by; is it a pen name? It sounds like a character name from a murder mystery, like, "Allow me introduce Detective Inspector Lucian Poll from Scotland Yard." It's so perfectly character-worthy, I may use it in one of my 'little darlings'. I have a character I'm developing who is a psychotic anesthesiologist and your name (Dr. Lucian Poll) would be perfect. May I use it?

Lucian Poll
10-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Hi Randy. Yeah, Lucian Poll is a pen name, being an anagram of my real name. It's a persona I'm trying to build up for my less-than-savoury story ideas (including one I've self-pubbed on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/author/lucianpoll) - sorry, small plug), and for something I'm hoping to bring out next September. It's very early days, though.

There's a funny, if indirect, story behind Lucian Poll, though. There was a chat show programme here in the UK years ago hosted by a guy called Graham Norton, and for one of his guests he went to the Internet Anagram Server and punched in said guest's name. Lo and behold a particularly rude anagram appeared on the screen. Being so heartily entertained (and being so obvious) I thought I'd punch my name into the website. Up came something like "Ulcian Poll", and the rest was history. I'd always felt it would make a cool nom de plume, and when I started getting back into the horror groove it seemed a natural fit for any stories I'd conjure up.

Oh, and who was Mr Norton's guest, you ask? Why none other than former French international football star David Ginola.

(Ahem!)

As for using my pen name for a character, I guess I don't see the harm. It's quite an unusual request! Flattering, though! It'd be funny to see Dr Lucian Poll putting people to sleep in one story in Cemetery Dance only for him to pop up writing the very next story! It's be meta-fiction gone mad, but very, very cool! (Come on, Brian, you know it makes sense!)

Randy D. Rubin
10-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Thank you again Dr Poll for allowing me to use the name in one of my stories.

Lucian Poll
12-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Seems this thread hasn't been updated with the news. The Cemetery Dance magazine is now open for submissions! Link: https://cemeterydance.submittable.com/submit?details=true

I've just sent off my story, 'Flood Warning', which somehow hit 5,000 words exactly (including title and author)! :D Has anyone else here submitted?

(Apologies in advance for stealing any admin's thunder!)

MrRoland
12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Lucian,

I just submitted my story, "Family Heirloom". I have my fingers crossed, my 4 leaf clover and my lucky underwear on. Like they say, they won't help but they couldn't hurt.

Unless the underwear is too tight, I suppose.

Lucian Poll
12-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Nice! In readiness for this submissions window I bought 421 rabbits feet off of eBay. Must have been one hell of a rabbit.

ozmosis7
12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Good luck to everyone.

RichardThomas
12-18-2012, 09:19 PM
yep, sent off my story "Chasing Ghosts" and i'm stoked. good luck all!

TerryE
12-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Lucian,

I just submitted my story, "Family Heirloom". I have my fingers crossed, my 4 leaf clover and my lucky underwear on. Like they say, they won't help but they couldn't hurt.

Unless the underwear is too tight, I suppose.

But did you eat your Lucky Charms for breakfast??

Randy D. Rubin
01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Has anyone here heard back from Cemetery Dance about their subs either rejected or accepted? I'm still waiting to hear something one way or 'tother.

MrRoland
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Same with me, Randy. Still waiting.

RichardThomas
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
no word yet.

Brian James Freeman
01-31-2013, 03:38 PM
800+ submissions to sort through, so it'll be a while until everyone hears back!

Brian

Dan Hocker
01-31-2013, 03:44 PM
But did you eat your Lucky Charms for breakfast??

I want Lucky Charms....

Randy D. Rubin
01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Whoa, Brian that's quite a lot. I feel your pain Brother. Need some help? Let me know.

RichardThomas
01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
wow. yeah, i figured it was a lot. no worries, brian. i think we all expected it to take several months to start hearing back.

Randy D. Rubin
01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi Richard how the hell have you been lately?

RichardThomas
01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Good, Randy, you? I'm busy editing a few anthologies, one for Black Lawrence Press, one with Chuck Palahniuk. Shopping my 2nd novel still, Disintegration, my agent and I have gotten close, but no offer yet. And I have a new collection, Staring Into the Abyss, (http://krakenpress.com/?p=98) out in March with Kraken Press, so lots to do with that!

Randy D. Rubin
01-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Very cool indeed. I'm in the middle of an asylum story that I hoped would venture into Novel territory but it seems to be rapping itself up around Novella-ville. It's a bitch trying to write a story about a nympho and not want it to come out too "porny", know what I mean? You know how when you're writing one and it starts to go stale before you finish it? I'm wishing I was done already so I can tackle the next story swimming in my mind-pool. I'm reading The Century's Best Horror Vol 1 and it amazes me how non-horrific these tales are and how richly steeped in prolific language they're written. I'm up to 1905 and its a tough read.

tchoppy
02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I just submitted mine too. I took a chance and just entered it. Fingers crossed. :)

Michael Wehunt
02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Hi all. I'm brand new in town. Being one of the 800+ hopefuls in the CD submission pool, I stumbled across this forum and thought I'd say hello. I also recently read Richard Thomas' "Where to Send Your Stories" article on Storyville. I see that you're a member here, Richard. I'm sure it's been said but that was a wonderful tool and insight you provided all us beginners out there. (I've been at this writing game for close to a year and a half, so I'm not sure I'm a rookie anymore.)

Anyway, I'm joining you folks in the waiting game. I'm a huge fan of Cemetery Dance and can hardly fathom what an honor it would be to make the cut. Good luck to everyone here!

Randy D. Rubin
02-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the forums Michael.

usmantm
02-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Hey guys,

I've been on the FB radar for a while. Never popped in here, though, I think I know some people here from HWA (which helps me feel less awkward)...

Either way, heyyy! I'm Usman from Florida. Nice to meetcha all! Fingers crossed for me and all of ya for the CD submissions.

Martin
02-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Welcome!
Hey guys,

I've been on the FB radar for a while. Never popped in here, though, I think I know some people here from HWA (which helps me feel less awkward)...

Either way, heyyy! I'm Usman from Florida. Nice to meetcha all! Fingers crossed for me and all of ya for the CD submissions.

Randy D. Rubin
02-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Good luck ad welcome to the forums Usman.

Lucian Poll
02-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Oh dear. 'Flood Warning' turns out to be an early faller. :( Must have been that scene with the nuns, the soap and a loquacious mongoose wearing espadrilles. (To be honest I was 50:50 about it myself.)

Good luck to those still in with a shout. I'm off to nail down another tale.

MrRoland
03-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Oh dear. 'Flood Warning' turns out to be an early faller. :( Must have been that scene with the nuns, the soap and a loquacious mongoose wearing espadrilles. (To be honest I was 50:50 about it myself.)

Good luck to those still in with a shout. I'm off to nail down another tale.

Mine also did not make the grade. I am now busy washing the red ink of the "Reject" stamp off my forehead and then I'll be back at it.

Good luck to the other 798+ of you.

William J. Grabowski
04-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Michael:

Welcome, sir. You've come to the right place!

Tito_Villa
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
My story is 'In progress'

Tito_Villa
04-24-2013, 11:38 AM
How are you getting along with the submissions Brian?

Brian James Freeman
04-24-2013, 03:29 PM
How are you getting along with the submissions Brian?

Probably 50% read at this point, so we're making progress!

Tito_Villa
04-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Brian!

Randy D. Rubin
04-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Brian if we've been rejected but have another tale to submit, is it too late? Has the window closed?

Brian James Freeman
04-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Brian if we've been rejected but have another tale to submit, is it too late? Has the window closed?

We're closed right now, just so we can catch-up on all of the reading. We didn't want new submissions to be waiting for the previous submissions to be finished since it's already been too long of a wait for those earlier subs!

Brian

Randy D. Rubin
04-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks Brian. Let us know when it reopens. I'm ready to go with another one.

Liam Doyle
05-07-2013, 01:44 PM
I submitted a lil' something something too. It was my first submission to a magazine because I genuinely had no idea there was a such a huge market for horror shorts, certainly haven't seen anything from Ireland before anyway. I've been writing horror for years but the stories were usually left to rot on my hard drive.

Good luck to everyone who submitted. Hope to hear back from you soon!

Michael Wehunt
06-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Anyone--Mr. Freeman, perhaps--with an inside track on how the CD slush is coming along? I only ask because I still have a couple of fingernails I haven't gnawed off yet, and I'd like to get started on them. ;)

Brian James Freeman
06-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Anyone--Mr. Freeman, perhaps--with an inside track on how the CD slush is coming along? I only ask because I still have a couple of fingernails I haven't gnawed off yet, and I'd like to get started on them. ;)

75% done, I believe... we're getting there!

Brian

Michael Wehunt
06-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Nice! Thanks, Brian.

Tito_Villa
06-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Mine's still 'in progress'

Brian James Freeman
06-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Anyone from this forum who hasn't gotten an answer yet: send me an email at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com and I'll bump you to the top of the first reader's priority list! But *just* those of you who visit this forum, please don't pass this around elsewhere or it will defeat the purpose. :)

Brian

truantoranje
06-24-2013, 07:03 PM
I see other stories submitted after mine being reported as rejected on Submission Grinder. Is that a good sign, bad sign, or completely indifferent?

Tito_Villa
06-25-2013, 12:20 PM
E-mail sent

Brian James Freeman
06-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I see other stories submitted after mine being reported as rejected on Submission Grinder. Is that a good sign, bad sign, or completely indifferent?

There are multiple levels for stories to pass through: our first reader, our associate editor, and then the editors. The system doesn't seem to show that progress, but most of the stories that are left have passed the first reader. Drop me a line via email and I can check the status of your story for you!

Brian

Tito_Villa
06-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the insight Brian!

Tito_Villa
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Did you get my email's Brian?

Brian James Freeman
06-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Did you get my email's Brian?

Probably! I get approximately 300 emails per day that require a reply or action, so I'm running about three days behind right now on anything that isn't a high priority item. I'll look for you today, though. Thanks!

Tito_Villa
06-26-2013, 01:35 PM
It's ok no rush, i've just been having a few problems with my e-mail and wasn't sure if they got to destination.

Cheers

Tito_Villa
06-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Declined ... never mind

Ben Staad
06-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Declined ... never mind

Sorry. Glad to hear you gave it a go.

TerryE
06-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Better luck next time, Tom

Tito_Villa
06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks, and i'll definitely send in another story next time ... got to keep trying :)

peteOcha
06-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks, and i'll definitely send in another story next time ... got to keep trying :)

Good attitude! :) Better luck next time!

I am going to try next time as well!

Kristopher Kelly
06-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Just grateful they gave us all a chance and opened their doors for a few months. It's been a dream of mine for decades to see a story in Cemetery Dance.

ozmosis7
06-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Good luck to all of you that have made it this far.

William J. Grabowski
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for this news, Brian. I can't imagine sifting through that many emails!

Brian James Freeman
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Everyone who hasn't heard back has made it through all of the first readers and are being read by the editors now. (The first readers actually finished the other day, but I didn't have a chance to post an update!)

Brian

Kristopher Kelly
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the update, Brian! Is there any sense of how long the editors will take to make their final decisions? Or is it a wait-and-see / be patient, little grasshoppers kind of situation?

Brian James Freeman
07-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the update, Brian! Is there any sense of how long the editors will take to make their final decisions? Or is it a wait-and-see / be patient, little grasshoppers kind of situation?

I need to look over the list again and see how many total stories there are. This has taken much longer than we planned because we underestimated how many authors would have stories ready to submit. I hate long turnaround times on submissions, so I'm very sorry about the wait. I've been submitting stories for publication for nearly 20 years now (wow, that makes me feel old) and the worst part has always been the wait. We'll figure out a way to get everyone answers much quicker the next time around!

Brian

Kristopher Kelly
07-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Oh, it's okay. I certainly understand. Thanks for the reply.

Michael Wehunt
07-02-2013, 08:18 PM
I need to look over the list again and see how many total stories there are.

My guess is...5 stories left. Pretty good odds!

(I'm probably off by 60 or so. ;))

truantoranje
07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
My guess is...5 stories left. Pretty good odds!

That would make me very happy. :D

Kristopher Kelly
07-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Haha -- if you believe reports on Duotrope and Submission Grinder, there are likely at least around thirty. I tend to imagine only about 10% of submitters use those tools, so my guess is more like 100-300, probably. Might be a while yet! In the meantime ... whiskey! And more writing!

Michael Wehunt
07-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Yeah, who knows. I'm only reading tea leaves over here. I usually guesstimate 8-10% of submissions make it to some sort of a "final round." With 800+ stories that comes to about 65-80. And we all know that guessing is fun!

Kristopher Kelly
07-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Yeah, who knows. I'm only reading tea leaves over here. I usually guesstimate 8-10% of submissions make it to some sort of a "final round." With 800+ stories that comes to about 65-80. And we all know that guessing is fun!

65-80 ... might be about right.

Guessing is fun. At least, I think so.

Cemetery Dance plays hard to get. I dig it.

Kristopher Kelly
07-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Apologies for some of the content in those last posts. Late night with the whiskey.

Bottom line is: I'm looking forward to my copy of The Dark Man! 19 pounds of orders! I don't envy anyone the task of shipping all those copies!

truantoranje
07-25-2013, 08:25 PM
I need to look over the list again and see how many total stories there are. This has taken much longer than we planned because we underestimated how many authors would have stories ready to submit. I hate long turnaround times on submissions, so I'm very sorry about the wait. I've been submitting stories for publication for nearly 20 years now (wow, that makes me feel old) and the worst part has always been the wait. We'll figure out a way to get everyone answers much quicker the next time around!

Brian

Good afternoon! Any chance for an update on the statuses of remaining stories in queue? Thanks in advance!

Brian James Freeman
07-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Good afternoon! Any chance for an update on the statuses of remaining stories in queue? Thanks in advance!

50 left to be rejected or bought.

Brian

Kristopher Kelly
08-02-2013, 12:02 AM
That's really exciting news, Brian. Thank you. It's a mind-melting honor to be among the fifty.

Michael Wehunt
08-07-2013, 09:41 PM

Kristopher Kelly
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Ha ha, Michael - what were you saying about those fingernails?

Michael Wehunt
08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Ha ha, Michael - what were you saying about those fingernails?

Oh, those are all gone. I'm using press-on nails now, which taste awful.

Kristopher Kelly
08-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Any new news, Brian? Any behind-the-scenes details you might be able to share?

Just curious, nervous, and drawing up next month's budget for press-on nails and Doritos-flavored polish.

Really looking forward to issue #70!

Thanks in advance.

Brian James Freeman
08-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Any new news, Brian? Any behind-the-scenes details you might be able to share?

Just curious, nervous, and drawing up next month's budget for press-on nails and Doritos-flavored polish.

Really looking forward to issue #70!

Thanks in advance.

Probably about 30 left to go!

Brian

Lauren Dixon
08-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Probably about 30 left to go!

Brian

Long-time reader, hardcore lurker, but I'm fanning myself over here! So exciting to even think about the stories in that cut--about to pass out when I think mine is even lingering in there.

RichardThomas
08-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Thrilled to announce that I MADE IT IN! My story, "Chasing Ghosts" a paranoid, neo-noir tale will be out in a future issue. I'm stoked to finally make it into the pages of CD. Dream come true! Good luck to the rest of you.

Michael Wehunt
08-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Huge congrats, Richard!

Lauren Dixon
08-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Thrilled to announce that I MADE IT IN! My story, "Chasing Ghosts" a paranoid, neo-noir tale will be out in a future issue. I'm stoked to finally make it into the pages of CD. Dream come true! Good luck to the rest of you.

Congratulations! How very cool!

truantoranje
08-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Congratulations, Richard! Living the dream!

Kristopher Kelly
08-15-2013, 09:48 PM

Huge congratulations to you, Richard! Job well done indeed! (And everyone reading this forum knows how long a wait it's been, haha!)

And good luck to Michael, Lauren, truantoranje (assuming you're all still in the running, yeah?), and anyone else out there still hoping.

Nik Houser
08-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Hey Lauren! I didn't know you were on here. Clarion West represent! Also, HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Richard. Well done, my friend.

Lauren Dixon
08-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Hey Lauren! I didn't know you were on here. Clarion West represent! Also, HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Richard. Well done, my friend.

Hey Nik! Color me a lurker. It's spooky scary how we're out there, just chillin, in the internet's winds. CD is the place to be, right?

Nik Houser
08-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Yup, this place is rad. The collectors, writers, editors...the whole forum is a very cool community of people gathered together by a love of all things scary, creepy, spooky, and awesome.

RichardThomas
08-16-2013, 09:55 PM
thanks, guys. you know i'll be framing this cover. :)

bookworm 1
08-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Congratulations Richard. Looking forward to reading your story in a future issue. Maybe a themed ghost story issue or noir pulp type issue. That would be cool a CD tribute to the days of pulp.

RichardThomas
08-17-2013, 01:35 AM
thanks, bookworm.

peteOcha
08-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Congrats Richard!! Great news! :)

ozmosis7
08-17-2013, 01:17 PM
I got you on Facebook, but I'll get you here, too. Big congrats, Richard! That's great news.

RichardThomas
08-17-2013, 03:46 PM
thanks, guys. they can't print those magazines soon enough! :D

Victorya
08-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Congrats Richard! And to those others still waiting. I'll admit, I can't help thinking some glitch happened that's got mine still in the mix, but fingers are crossed nonetheless!

RichardThomas
08-22-2013, 02:56 PM
thanks, V. best of luck to you.

Randy D. Rubin
08-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Way to go Richard. I'm thrilled for you. Congratulations on breaking through into CD.

RichardThomas
08-23-2013, 02:59 PM
thanks, randy. i'm thrilled. can't wait for it to come out.

Lauren Dixon
08-26-2013, 06:46 PM
thanks, randy. i'm thrilled. can't wait for it to come out.

Have any of the rest of you found out about your stories yet? I'm still on pins and needles! Richard, I can't wait to grab a copy of your story!

RichardThomas
08-26-2013, 07:11 PM
thanks, lauren. good luck!

Kristopher Kelly
08-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Have any of the rest of you found out about your stories yet? I'm still on pins and needles! Richard, I can't wait to grab a copy of your story!

No word yet, Lauren. All quiet on the rejection front.

But I'm right there with you.

ozmosis7
08-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Good luck to all who are still waiting.

Nik Houser
08-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Mine's in-process, Lauren.

Lauren Dixon
08-26-2013, 11:56 PM

Do we need to thumb wrestle, Nik!?!?

Brian James Freeman
08-27-2013, 12:47 AM

One of the things I emailed the Submittable folks about is whether we can change the status to anything else. For example, it would be nice if we could have that say "Passed First Reader" or "With Associate Editor" or "Under Consideration by Cthulhu" -- whatever applied to the submission -- so that authors would at least know some progress was being made.

Brian

ozmosis7
08-27-2013, 12:51 AM
One of the things I emailed the Submittable folks about is whether we can change the status to anything else. For example, it would be nice if we could have that say "Passed First Reader" or "With Associate Editor" or "Under Consideration by Cthulhu" -- whatever applied to the submission -- so that authors would at least know some progress was being made.

Brian

That would be awesome if Submittable could do something like that. It would likely drive me insane, though, with constant refreshes. :P

Kristopher Kelly
08-27-2013, 02:07 AM
..."Under Consideration by Cthulhu"...

Brian

So THAT'S what you've all taken to calling Mr. Chizmar, is it? Haha.

But seriously, if that was ever the status of a story I'd submitted, I'd screen-print it and frame it!

Nik Houser
08-27-2013, 05:38 PM
That's a really cool idea, Brian. The Cthulu part reminded me of the time I was buying tickets on Ticketmaster, and for the Captcha thing they make you type, it gave me this...

Nik Houser
08-27-2013, 05:39 PM
I particularly love that it says "Help battle the bots!" Creeeeeepy.

Lauren Dixon
08-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Brian

That would be very cool while also frightening. I worry what Cthulhu thinks about literature...

Brian James Freeman
08-27-2013, 06:08 PM
I particularly love that it says "Help battle the bots!" Creeeeeepy.

There is nothing I don't like in that image!

Michael Wehunt
08-27-2013, 09:37 PM
I wish my Submittable status would tell me, "Currently hanging on Richard Chizmar's refrigerator under two ghost magnets."

Kristopher Kelly
08-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Just got rejected. Best of luck to the rest of you!

T-Dogz_AK47
08-29-2013, 11:09 PM

Sorry to hear that. :(

Kristopher Kelly
08-30-2013, 05:17 AM
I really like your signature quote, T-Dogz. Nicely done.

T-Dogz_AK47
08-30-2013, 05:46 AM
I really like your signature quote, T-Dogz. Nicely done.

Thanks Kris. :D :D :D

Lauren Dixon
08-30-2013, 05:48 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry. :(

TerryE
08-30-2013, 04:25 PM
That's rough, Kris. Keep plugging away, you'll get it next time. I hope it's a little comforting to know that you got close, especially with so much great competition.

Kristopher Kelly
08-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks, everyone -- it's okay. It was fun getting to dream big for a while. Like Tennyson says, it's better to have submitted and lost than never to have submitted at all. ;)

T-Dogz_AK47
08-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks, everyone -- it's okay. It was fun getting to dream big for a while. Like Tennyson says, it's better to have submitted and lost than never to have submitted at all. ;)

Out of interest Kris, what was the story about that you submitted? :)

RichardThomas
08-31-2013, 09:56 PM
sorry, KK. you must have gotten really close. be sure to send that story out far and wide. good luck. if you need some ideas, check out my column, especially the horror section:

http://litreactor.com/columns/storyville-where-to-send-your-stories

Victorya
09-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Oh man, so sorry to read that KK.

Kristopher Kelly
09-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Out of interest Kris, what was the story about that you submitted? :)

Haha, well -- I'm editing it again with the hopes of getting it accepted somewhere else, so I won't say too much just now, other than that it had nothing to do with zombies (or anything like them), vampires, werewolves, serial killers, creepy dolls, clowns, aliens, the apocalypse, or the post-apocalypse. I tried reeeeeeeeeally hard to write about something I hadn't read about before but that I thought was supercool. Put a TON of real research into it, too, and then tried to keep the pace pretty light and fast and make it character-driven. Looking back on it now, sure -- I can see some dialogue that needs works, and I've got some better ideas for the ending (bit of a case of a monologuing bad guy at the end, which I'm playing around with getting rid of entirely -- though it's tough not to descend into expositional hell when you've got so much world built out behind the story). Let me rephrase all this: it's basically a mystery, with some light horror at the end. I still think it rocks (they said send our best, and I definitely sent mine); after another draft and some polishing, back out it goes!

Truth be told, during the past few months, I thought about the piece a lot, and I was thinking that it was a shame I hadn't had the time to do one more rewrite on it before the submission window closed.

Now, silver linings-style, I have that chance to make a good story even better.

T-Dogz_AK47
09-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Nice one Kris, your story sounds very intriguing. I am glad you have not given up with this, as that would be a real shame. :)

Re-write that thing, get some close friends to proof read it for you and then bang it out to every publisher known to man. I am sure they will be begging to publish your material in due time! :cool: :cool: :D

Nik Houser
09-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi Brian, any news you can share on the stories being processed? No rush, just hadn't seen any updates posted here for a while so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Brian James Freeman
09-12-2013, 02:04 AM
Hi Brian, any news you can share on the stories being processed? No rush, just hadn't seen any updates posted here for a while so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

I know about 20 rejections have gone out, so hopefully we'll get this wrapped up in the next month!

Brian

Lauren Dixon
09-12-2013, 03:44 PM
I know about 20 rejections have gone out, so hopefully we'll get this wrapped up in the next month!

Brian

Thanks for the update, Brian!

Nik Houser
09-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Cool, Brian, thanks for the update and the quick response!

Victorya
09-12-2013, 10:38 PM
I totally imagine the remaining stories cage fighting at this point.

Kristopher Kelly
09-14-2013, 06:32 AM
It has been too quiet on this board lately. I like all you scriveners, and if I could carry your stories up Mount Doom, I would.

Cage match would be fun. Would certainly be better than an endless game of rock-paper-scissors.

(Paper ... paper ... paper ... paper ... )

Kristopher Kelly
09-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Anyone else heard anything?

Victorya
09-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Well, paper does cut finger.

Lauren Dixon
09-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Anyone else heard anything?

I haven't heard a thing. Using the quiet to plow forward with my novel. I keep reading all these fabulous navel gazing ya novels to stay in the right headspace for my current project--if I wasn't doing that, I imagine I might just slowly become insane. :)

Michael Wehunt
09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
This week's episode of Don't You Dare Refresh Your Email Every 60 Seconds, Wehunt features our hero rereading The Shining. I'm probably the only person on earth rereading that book this week, right?

TerryE
09-18-2013, 05:44 PM
It has been too quiet on this board lately. I like all you scriveners, and if I could carry your stories up Mount Doom, I would.

Cage match would be fun. Would certainly be better than an endless game of rock-paper-scissors.

(Paper ... paper ... paper ... paper ... )

Paper disproves Spock.

Michael Wehunt
09-28-2013, 09:09 PM
This is me if I receive a CD acceptance on Halloween: 13452

RJK1981
09-29-2013, 03:27 AM
Paper disproves Spock.

For some reason when I was reading this quickly at first I read that as Paper DISSOLVES Spock, lol :p:rolleyes:

Victorya
09-30-2013, 05:38 PM
While a Halloween acceptance would be awesome. Oh man, that's 31 days away. Frothy mugs of your dream drink to all of us waiting! Also a reminder to breathe.

Michael Wehunt
10-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Through the voyeurism of Facebook, I know that a few days ago a certain heralded publisher intended to finish the book he was reading then move on to "30 or so submissions." Hold onto your laptops, boys and girls.

Lauren Dixon
10-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Through the voyeurism of Facebook, I know that a few days ago a certain heralded publisher intended to finish the book he was reading then move on to "30 or so submissions." Hold onto your laptops, boys and girls.

Oh gez. Oh holy gez. Oh holy stigmata gez.

Victorya
10-03-2013, 02:07 AM
And with that information, there go a few more nails. I was doing so good about playing it cool and not chewing out my waittime, too.

Lauren Dixon
10-17-2013, 08:38 PM
This is me if I receive a CD acceptance on Halloween: 13452

Is it Halloween yet? This would be me if that happens on Halloween.
http://theeyeoffaith.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/sissy-spacek-as-carrie-winning-prom-queen.jpg

Michael Wehunt
10-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Lauren, good thing you chose the BEFORE picture rather than the AFTER. ;)

Victorya
10-18-2013, 05:17 PM
The after photo is if it's a rejection, I suppose.

Lauren Dixon
10-18-2013, 06:52 PM
The after photo is if it's a rejection, I suppose.

Ha, totally right, Michael and Victorya! It's interesting; "Carrie" was one of the few horror movies I was allowed to watch growing up. I was allowed to read anything I wanted, but not watch anything I wanted. But, basically, Stephen King was hero supreme around our house. So, the one exception to the "no horror movie" rule was if it was a movie based on one of his books, I was allowed. He once praised Beavis and Butthead, and because of that, my mom actually let me watch that show. Maybe that explains everything.

Microwave Grandmaster
10-18-2013, 08:28 PM

So, we've been waiting hundreds of day for this dude to finish his frikkin book? He doesn't have the decency to put his book down for five minutes to let a bunch of aspiring writers that he's NOT going to buy their stories (cause let's face it, he's going to reject +90% of us)? I mean, seriously, he's made me wait this long and he can't even take the time to let me down professionally. Thanks, dude.

Michael Wehunt
10-19-2013, 01:31 PM
So, we've been waiting hundreds of day for this dude to finish his frikkin book? He doesn't have the decency to put his book down for five minutes to let a bunch of aspiring writers that he's NOT going to buy their stories (cause let's face it, he's going to reject +90% of us)? I mean, seriously, he's made me wait this long and he can't even take the time to let me down professionally. Thanks, dude.

Hey, we're all eager, but Mr. Chizmar has been publishing this magazine for over 20 years. It didn't get to be revered through unprofessionalism. I trust that he knows what he's doing.

Brian James Freeman
10-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Email me at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com and I'll let you know where your story stands. Thanks!

Brian

truantoranje
10-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Check your email. Rejection received. Good luck to the rest of you waiting.

ozmosis7
10-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Holy...! I didn't make the first cut on this go around, but I've waited more than a year and a half to hear back at times. Some markets just take that long. It depends on how bad you want to be in them.

Anyway, as some cuts are being handed down, I'lll offer another GOOD LUCK to all those still in the race.

Brian James Freeman
10-19-2013, 03:58 PM
If we open to submissions again, one of the changes we'll make it is closing the submission window when we hit 500 stories in the queue. That would have been in less than a week this last time.

Brian

ozmosis7
10-19-2013, 04:00 PM
If we open to submissions again, one of the changes we'll make it is closing the submission window when we hit 500 stories in the queue. That would have been in less than a week this last time.

Brian

I can't imagine the sheer volume of submissions you all must have received. I see some of the stats on various anthologies and have read interviews with popular editors, and those numbers are staggering.

Brian James Freeman
10-19-2013, 04:01 PM
By the way, if you haven't heard back by this afternoon, please do email me at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com with Submission Update in your subject line. I can tell you on Monday exactly what we're thinking in terms of your story. We might be on the fence and just need time for one more read.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
10-19-2013, 04:10 PM
I can't imagine the sheer volume of submissions you all must have received. I see some of the stats on various anthologies and have read interviews with popular editors, and those numbers are staggering.

The biggest problem with getting thousands of submissions for what amounts to 20 open slots is that we're going to pass on a lot of very solid, very well written stories that are just missing that tiny little spark that makes the difference. We don't give notes on rejections because it would double the time required for what has already been too long of a process, but we've had to pass on some very fine work that we know we'll be reading in other anthologies and magazines very soon.

If folks are interested, I'll look at some of the internal discussions we've had about stories and put together a posting about why submissions are rejected (in general).

By the way, as I think someone pointed out in this thread, our goal when we open to submissions isn't to make authors wait around to hear back. We want to find new stories from new voices that really rock our world. That's an exciting moment. We certainly don't need to open to submissions to fill 20 slots in the magazine. We do it because we love finding new writers who are pushing the genre into new places.

We are sorry about the wait. Hopefully, next time it'll go much quicker!

Brian

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Check your email. Rejection received. Good luck to the rest of you waiting.

Got my form rejection when I woke up.

Michael Wehunt
10-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Me too. I was honestly surprised that those of us in the final pile also got form rejections.

Brian James Freeman
10-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Me too. I was honestly surprised that those of us in the final pile also got form rejections.

Reasons these last stories might be rejected:

* Too similar to something else we've already bought.

* Too similar to something else we've read recently.

* Just doesn't quite push us across the line enough for us to say, "Yes! Must. Buy. This!" No specific reason in particular. Could be extremely well-written, but we just don't pull the trigger.

* Although you tackled a trope or cliché with panache, at the end of the day a vampire/zombie/werewolf/serial killer story has to be one of the best in those categories we've read in a long time to make the cut.

In most cases, we have no specific notes to help you improve the story at this stage. If your story could make the cut with a rewrite or a tweak, we're contacting you individually to see if you're interested in discussing our suggestions.

Hope these general notes help!

Brian

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 05:36 PM

Ditto, Michael. I know how busy the staff is, so I totally understand, but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. C'est la vie though, right? Shall we pledge to continue writing words that scrape from the concrete below?

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks for this, Brian. I appreciate that you take this time with us to talk about it.

Michael Wehunt
10-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Yes, Brian. You, sir, have done an admirable job along the way.

Victorya
10-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Wow, this thread blew up overnight! (well, my overnight, at least).

Had to check my e-mail, then submittable to double-check, so now I just try to somehow find more fingernails to bite.

Also, definately agree that the attention in the thread has been great.

T-Dogz_AK47
10-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Got my form rejection when I woke up.

Sorry to hear about your rejection Lauren... :(

Don't let this put you off though, as I am sure you will get through next time. As Brian said, it might be it just needed a small rewrite or tweak to make the grade.

Keep your head up Lauren and good luck with the writing. :)

truantoranje
10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
*Stows celebratory champagne until the next campaign* Is it too early to break out the tequila?

Brian James Freeman
10-19-2013, 07:33 PM
I've also thought of just inviting forum members to submit next time. You've probably all actually read the magazine, right? I would say 90% of the submissions this time were from people who clearly hadn't read a single issue and had no idea what we publish.

Brian

truantoranje
10-19-2013, 07:36 PM
I've also thought of just inviting forum members to submit next time. You've probably all actually read the magazine, right? I would say 90% of the submissions this time were from people who clearly hadn't read a single issue and had no idea what we publish.

Brian

I was a long-time CD subscriber. Now I pick it up at my local brick-and-mortar (when I can). It was also the first magazine I subbed to way back in January 2000.

Victorya
10-19-2013, 07:39 PM
I actually learned about CD in my MFA program, someone mentioned CD as a magazine they respect. This led me to read some issues as I was the main proponent of genre and hadn't read an issue yet.

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 07:51 PM

Brian

Yes, I buy it whenever I see it. I should just subscribe because it's hard to find in stores.

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear about your rejection Lauren... :(

Don't let this put you off though, as I am sure you will get through next time. As Brian said, it might be it just needed a small rewrite or tweak to make the grade.

Keep your head up Lauren and good luck with the writing. :)

Thanks, T-Dogz, I appreciate it. Even when I'm down about writing, I can't stop writing. So maybe it's a blessing and a curse? :)

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 07:54 PM
*Stows celebratory champagne until the next campaign* Is it too early to break out the tequila?

Maybe not today. :)

truantoranje
10-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Maybe not today. :)

Good deal. Thanks for enabling, Lauren. :D

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Good deal. Thanks for enabling, Lauren. :D

No problem. As they say, it's five o'clock somewhere. :)

truantoranje
10-19-2013, 08:14 PM
No problem. As they say, it's five o'clock somewhere. :)

And with that, Mr. Cuervo and I are again reacquainted.

I'm thinking of starting a support group for today's rejectees.

truantoranje
10-19-2013, 08:15 PM

Brian

That sounds like a great idea, Brian.

Victorya
10-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks, T-Dogz, I appreciate it. Even when I'm down about writing, I can't stop writing. So maybe it's a blessing and a curse? :)

I consider it more of an addiction. Hurts so good, just hurts, or is euphoric. Can't stop for long!

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 08:47 PM
And with that, Mr. Cuervo and I are again reacquainted.

I'm thinking of starting a support group for today's rejectees.

Count me in!

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 08:48 PM
I consider it more of an addiction. Hurts so good, just hurts, or is euphoric. Can't stop for long!

I had a year where I just did not want to write because of what I considered "dire consequences" of inhabiting terrible spaces I never wanted my mind to go. But like you say, an addiction, to be sure.

Kristopher Kelly
10-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Sorry to hear about all the rejections today, forum friends. Sad day, but keep sending those stories back out. You all obviously did something right.

And I would love the offer to submit again, Brian. I subscribe to the magazine, always look forward to it, and I spend way too much money on CD books, too!

Love what you all do. Keep it up. I look forward to the chance to try again.

T-Dogz_AK47
10-19-2013, 09:11 PM
I haven't submitted a story, as I do not consider myself anywhere near good enough to even try. That said, I do think that only inviting forum members the chance to submit pieces next time around is a really good idea.

All credit to Brian for allowing this and I sincerely look forward to reading posts from you guys confirming that your work has been selected for publication. :) :cool:

Victorya
10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
I had a year where I just did not want to write because of what I considered "dire consequences" of inhabiting terrible spaces I never wanted my mind to go. But like you say, an addiction, to be sure.

I understand that. A lot of my horror stuff comes from things my mother did to keep me 'in line' - BUt in that it's also taking control of the memories. Still, sometimes it's hard to go places especially knowing nothing I can make up is stranger or more horrifying than what's out there in the real world.

Lauren Dixon
10-19-2013, 09:21 PM
I understand that. A lot of my horror stuff comes from things my mother did to keep me 'in line' - BUt in that it's also taking control of the memories. Still, sometimes it's hard to go places especially knowing nothing I can make up is stranger or more horrifying than what's out there in the real world.

Major truth.

Brian James Freeman
10-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Final acceptance and rejection emails have been sent. If you have not heard back, email me at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com and I'll look into it for you. Thanks!

Brian

ozmosis7
10-20-2013, 02:41 AM
Final acceptance and rejection emails have been sent. If you have not heard back, email me at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com and I'll look into it for you. Thanks!

Brian

Thanks for the opportunity Brian and everyone else at CD. I look forward to seeing who made the cut and reading their stories. A big congrats to any forum members who made it. I've already seen a couple of excellent acceptances.

Kristopher Kelly
10-20-2013, 02:43 AM
Anyone on the boards get good news?

Lauren Dixon
10-20-2013, 03:04 AM

Brian

Thanks again, Brian. Until next time!

Nik Houser
10-20-2013, 05:10 AM
HUZZAH!!! I am absolutely over the moon to report that CD accepted my story "Citizen Flame" for a future issue. This has always been the horror grail for me. Thanks so much Brian and everyone at CD for giving all of us this opportunity to show you our work. As you said in a previous post Brian, you didn't have to open up those spots, but you did anyway, so again, HUGE thanks to you and this amazing community of readers, writers, and nail biters.

Lauren Dixon
10-20-2013, 05:11 AM
HUZZAH!!! I am absolutely over the moon to report that CD accepted my story "Citizen Flame" for a future issue. This has always been the horror grail for me. Thanks so much Brian and everyone at CD for giving all of us this opportunity to show you our work. As you said in a previous post Brian, you didn't have to open up those spots, but you did anyway, so again, HUGE thanks to you and this amazing community of readers, writers, and nail biters.

Congrats, Nik!

Nik Houser
10-20-2013, 05:17 AM
Thanks, Lauren! Clarion West represent!

ozmosis7
10-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Big congrats, Nik!

Kristopher Kelly
10-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Big congratulations, Nik - way to go!

Michael Wehunt
10-20-2013, 03:10 PM
HUGE congrats, Nik!!

Brian emailed to tell me they'd accidentally sent me a rejection yesterday morning. So a rejection turned into an acceptance! "The Inconsolable" will be in Cemetery Dance! CD is indeed a Holy Grail. The news still hasn't quite sunk in yet. :)

ozmosis7
10-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Congrats, as well, Michael.

Victorya
10-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Nik - you put it perfectly! The horror grail. I had to have someone else read the e-mail (and then check submittable) to be sure that my story was accepted and I wasn't hallucinating, and it was! So over the moon. I agree that it was wonderful of CD to open their gates to search for some other voices that were out there.

Lauren Dixon
10-20-2013, 05:55 PM
HUGE congrats, Nik!!

Brian emailed to tell me they'd accidentally sent me a rejection yesterday morning. So a rejection turned into an acceptance! "The Inconsolable" will be in Cemetery Dance! CD is indeed a Holy Grail. The news still hasn't quite sunk in yet. :)

Congrats, Michael! What a ride. :)

Lauren Dixon
10-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Nik - you put it perfectly! The horror grail. I had to have someone else read the e-mail (and then check submittable) to be sure that my story was accepted and I wasn't hallucinating, and it was! So over the moon. I agree that it was wonderful of CD to open their gates to search for some other voices that were out there.

Congrats, Victorya!

Nik Houser
10-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Michael and Victorya: HUGE CONGRATULATIONS YOU GUYS!!! Hell yeah!!! CD forum kickin' ass and takin' names. :cool:

Kristopher Kelly
10-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Hell yeah! Well done, Victorya and Michael!!

Can't wait to read all your stories when they're published!

TerryE
10-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Way to go Nik, Michael, and Victorya. Congrats and high cheers to all three of you. Can't wait to read the stories.

Michael Wehunt
10-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Huge congrats to Victorya (and congrats again for the hell of it to Nik)!! I hope my story shares an issue with one of you.

Victorya
10-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Woot and congrats to Nik and Michael (for the rebound! Way to score!) and others I might have missed. If not here, I do hope we share TOCs elsewhere soon.

ozmosis7
10-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Thought I would offer you a big congrats here as well, Victorya.