PDA

View Full Version : The Fall: The Deluxe Signed & Slipcased Special Collector's Limited Edition

Dan Hocker
06-08-2012, 05:28 PM
The Fall: The Deluxe Signed & Slipcased Special Collector's Limited Edition
by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan
20 Pieces of Artwork by Troy Nixey!
Low Print Run, "Old World" Design, Beautiful Special Edition!

https://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/o_deltor02.jpg

This is the discussion topic for The Fall announcement!

CLICK HERE to purchase this product (https://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_deltor02)

CLICK HERE to view the announcement (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?1339)

Ben Staad
06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm sure this will be an awesome production. Good luck with this one!

srboone
06-08-2012, 06:18 PM
I still know where I can get a copy of The Strain for $150...

bsaenz24
06-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I am SO looking forward to this book! The Strain is a work of art!!!

RJK1981
06-08-2012, 07:22 PM
This sounds great and definitely one I would love to have on my shelf at some point

frik51
06-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Ordered!

sk

chadbournefan
06-13-2012, 03:35 AM
I ordered this in March. Is this a different version newly announced?

Dan Hocker
06-14-2012, 01:24 AM
I ordered this in March. Is this a different version newly announced?

Umm, only version we've offered. We did start offering it awhile ago though to make sure people who ordered The Strain had more than enough time to place their orders for The Fall before opening it up to everyone else.

peteOcha
06-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Its beautiful, a true work of art... too bad I don't have The Strain. On the other hand, that can be a good thing as well...:)

Joe315
10-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Any news that can be reported?

Brian James Freeman
11-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Any news that can be reported?

Still waiting on the signature sheets, but everything else is ready!

Brian

Joe315
11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Great!!

elsimpso
05-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Still waiting on the signature sheets, but everything else is ready!

Brian

It's been nearly six months since we've had an update on this one! Do you have any idea when the book will be ready to ship?

Dan Hocker
05-17-2013, 03:32 AM
It's been nearly six months since we've had an update on this one! Do you have any idea when the book will be ready to ship?

I'm not Brian, but I think we're still waiting on Signature Sheets to be signed. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Brian James Freeman
05-17-2013, 05:25 AM

Sheets are still with Del Toro.

Brian

bsaenz24
06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
I thought you guys had a magic wand!!!

Brian James Freeman
06-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I thought you guys had a magic wand!!!

I wish! :) Unfortunately, when your author is putting in 12+ hour days on post-production of a big summer blockbuster, I would assume it's hard to fit in signing the sheets, which is (I fully admit) a pain in the butt anyway. Hopefully there will be time soon.

Brian

bsaenz24
06-04-2013, 07:24 PM
I wish! :) Unfortunately, when your author is putting in 12+ hour days on post-production of a big summer blockbuster, I would assume it's hard to fit in signing the sheets, which is (I fully admit) a pain in the butt anyway. Hopefully there will be time soon.

Brian

Based on the LRB edition of The Strain, we KNOW it will be worth the wait!!

Joe315
08-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Is Guillermo still signing the sheets?

Brian James Freeman
08-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Is Guillermo still signing the sheets?

I'm not sure if he's really started. I emailed his assistant again the other day. Fingers crossed that he has time soon!

Brian

Joe315
08-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the update.

bstee
03-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Hate to bug...but since last update was over six months ago assume we are still just waiting on signed sheets? Just a thought...but since it takes two years to get signatures from him, maybe send part 3 signature sheets now as well? Who knows he might sign them all :)

Brian James Freeman
03-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Hate to bug...but since last update was over six months ago assume we are still just waiting on signed sheets? Just a thought...but since it takes two years to get signatures from him, maybe send part 3 signature sheets now as well? Who knows he might sign them all :)

Still waiting... And yep, he has the sheets for both books!

Brian

bsaenz24
03-26-2014, 02:43 PM
That was a smart idea to send both sig sheets at once!

bstee
04-04-2014, 12:03 PM
That is some good news. While it may not give us any idea on this one right now at least we know when it is done you can move directly into part 3. Great minds!!!

zachip
09-01-2014, 01:05 PM
another 6 months passed and still nothing... any news? are we ever going to see it this year?

Brian James Freeman
09-01-2014, 01:25 PM
another 6 months passed and still nothing... any news? are we ever going to see it this year?

Unless Guillermo signs the sheets, there isn't much else we can do. Everything else is ready for the printer.

Brian

bsaenz24
09-05-2014, 03:43 AM
Thanks Brian! I'm sure you're as eager to get the sig sheets back as we are!

ajw2910
03-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Any recent news on this one?

Brian James Freeman
03-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Any recent news on this one?

Same as always, unfortunately. His manager says his schedule has been crazy, but he will sign the signature sheets as soon as possible. I will shout the news to the rooftops the day the sheets arrive back. :)

Brian

bsaenz24
03-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Same as always, unfortunately. His manager says his schedule has been crazy, but he will sign the signature sheets as soon as possible. I will shout the news to the rooftops the day the sheets arrive back. :)

Brian

I'm telling you, you need to fly someone out there to sit outside his house until they're done. Side note, my bags are packed.

Tommy
03-18-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm telling you, you need to fly someone out there to sit outside his house until they're done. Side note, my bags are packed.

I find walking around naked with a shotgun usually speeds things up a bit, just a suggestion :cool:

(sorry, I'll stop now)

bsaenz24
03-18-2015, 09:15 PM
I find walking around naked with a shotgun usually speeds things up a bit, just a suggestion :cool:

(sorry, I'll stop now)

Even scarier when I walk around with the ole double-barrel out.

Theli
03-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Even scarier when I walk around with the ole double-barrel out.

You know what they say, two heads are better than one!

bsaenz24
03-19-2015, 01:10 AM
You know what they say, two heads are better than one!

;););););)

jigertz
03-19-2015, 02:00 AM
I can't claim to know what it's like to have the schedule of somebody like DelToro (or Gillian Flynn--had to throw that in there), but, at least in my head, it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult or time consuming to write your name on a piece of paper a bunch of times. Or is there something special involved that I'm missing?

folgersnyourcup
03-19-2015, 09:04 PM
I can't claim to know what it's like to have the schedule of somebody like DelToro (or Gillian Flynn--had to throw that in there), but, at least in my head, it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult or time consuming to write your name on a piece of paper a bunch of times. Or is there something special involved that I'm missing?

You are absolutely missing the true essence of signing...it's not just putting your name down on a piece of paper, it's a state of being, a mindset that's so incredibly hard to put yourself into it can take years to find that perfect moment. And to sign only a certain number of sheets each day? Impossible! One must ensure that all sheets are signed in one sitting or else all sheets previously signed become worthless. The reader absolutely can tell if all sheets were not signed on the same day.

Trust me, you would care if you received this book and noticed that your signature sheet was not signed on the exact same day in the same sitting as all other signature sheets. Chances are it would be so repulsive you wouldn't even be able to even look at the page without sobbing uncontrollably.

To reiterate, signing cannot be forced, with instances of the best signers taking more than 100 years to truly sign their name.

All kidding aside, I do hope Del Toro signs these soon! I can't wait to receive this...The Strain is one of the most impressive books on my shelf and I'm looking forward to paying for the third part!

Thanks for putting these great books together Brian, they are always worth the wait.

Brian James Freeman
03-19-2015, 09:50 PM
To reiterate, signing cannot be forced, with instances of the best signers taking more than 100 years to truly sign their name.

My God, it really does feel that way sometimes...!

Brian

Tommy
03-20-2015, 03:15 AM
My God, it really does feel that way sometimes...!

Brian

Brian, have you guys ever had to scrap a book because the author never signed the sheets?

Brian James Freeman
03-20-2015, 03:45 AM
Brian, have you guys ever had to scrap a book because the author never signed the sheets?

No, not yet, knock on wood! We did have one book where the author had the sheets before the mass market paperback was published and we didn't get them back until several years after that edition had gone out of print, though. Luckily, our edition of that book wasn't announced yet, so our edition just ended up being a nice reprint edition that no one knew was coming. For the most part, with a few exceptions where we HAVE to announce based on someone else's schedule (usually a big time author's New York agent/publisher), we try not to announce books until the signature sheets are signed unless we've worked with the author before and know from experience how super reliable he or she is...

Brian

Tommy
03-20-2015, 04:19 AM
No, not yet, knock on wood! We did have one book where the author had the sheets before the mass market paperback was published and we didn't get them back until several years after that edition had gone out of print, though. Luckily, our edition of that book wasn't announced yet, so our edition just ended up being a nice reprint edition that no one knew was coming. For the most part, with a few exceptions where we HAVE to announce based on someone else's schedule (usually a big time author's New York agent/publisher), we try not to announce books until the signature sheets are signed unless we've worked with the author before and know from experience how super reliable he or she is...

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. I know schedules can be tight and everyone goes at their own pace, especially artistic types like writers etc. but it would drive me crazy to have those sheets sitting in my house knowing that masses of people are waiting for them. I would sign them as soon as I got them in the mail and ship them out the next day just so I wouldn't have to worry about it lol.

Brian James Freeman
05-12-2015, 04:17 AM
Figured I would just post now ahead of the next time someone asks... Del Toro's business manager has not emailed me back since March, so there has been no progress on the signature sheet signing. Sorry, gang. But I DO think he will do it eventually and the books will be beautiful!

Brian

jigertz
05-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Just out of curiosity--is there a point at which not signing the sheets becomes a contractual issue? Can an author get away with agreeing to a signed edition and then simply not sign? It makes me think of the copies of Shadow Show that Gauntlet put out without Dave Eggers's signature.

Will you eventually send this to the printer without signatures?

I'm in no rush for this--I know that it will be an awesome edition that is well worth the wait--like I said, just curious how all this works.

Brian James Freeman
05-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Just out of curiosity--is there a point at which not signing the sheets becomes a contractual issue? Can an author get away with agreeing to a signed edition and then simply not sign? It makes me think of the copies of Shadow Show that Gauntlet put out without Dave Eggers's signature.

Will you eventually send this to the printer without signatures?

I'm in no rush for this--I know that it will be an awesome edition that is well worth the wait--like I said, just curious how all this works.

The contract is with the trade publisher, so any disputes have to go through them, and you can probably guess where they'll rank any issue I have against their lucrative relationship with the author!

At some point, if his business manager comes back and says there's just no chance, I'll have to look at sending the book to the printer just signed by Chuck. I hope it doesn't come to that, though.

Brian

Theli
05-12-2015, 05:23 PM
The contract is with the trade publisher, so any disputes have to go through them, and you can probably guess where they'll rank any issue I have against their lucrative relationship with the author!

At some point, if his business manager comes back and says there's just no chance, I'll have to look at sending the book to the printer just signed by Chuck. I hope it doesn't come to that, though.

Brian

That would be a grave disappointment for collectors. I assume a lot of the buyers pay that extra amount because of the sig, not just the binding. It would be a big black mark for Del Toro too. Already it's getting to that point. His fans helped get him where he is, a little respect can go a long way.

programmer
12-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Is there an update to the signature sheets on this book?

Thanks!

Leo

Dan Hocker
12-23-2015, 09:01 PM

Thanks!

Leo

Unfortunately no.

Brian James Freeman
12-23-2015, 09:25 PM

Thanks!

Leo

The last I heard, his business manager says he'll be back in LA in January and will sign them then. I have my fingers crossed that happens this time.

Brian

mhatchett
12-23-2015, 10:56 PM
I feel bad for Y'all having to deal with stuff like this. Do what you say you'll do, pretty simple credo to live by....
Mike

Brian James Freeman
12-23-2015, 11:34 PM
I feel bad for Y'all having to deal with stuff like this. Do what you say you'll do, pretty simple credo to live by....
Mike

Yeah, the wait for the sheets to be signed has set an unfortunate record, breaking one that I had never thought would be broken, but at this stage in the game, all we can do is ask and wait.

I will say, 98% of the collectors who bought this book have been AWESOME about how things have gone and I can't say enough thanks to them. For the other 2%, I completely understand the frustration. It's been a very, very long time.

Brian

bsaenz24
12-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Yeah, the wait for the sheets to be signed has set an unfortunate record, breaking one that I had never thought would be broken, but at this stage in the game, all we can do is ask and wait.

I will say, 98% of the collectors who bought this book have been AWESOME about how things have gone and I can't say enough thanks to them. For the other 2%, I completely understand the frustration. It's been a very, very long time.

Brian

Brian, I think everyone know you're doing whatever you can and some things are out of your hands.

Martin Roberts
03-10-2016, 10:38 PM
I picked up the first one off eBay, Brian - what happens to this number now?

Brian James Freeman
03-10-2016, 10:47 PM
I picked up the first one off eBay, Brian - what happens to this number now?

Given the time that has passed, it's a bit more complicated than norman, eh? Usually, the person who purchased The Strain from a retailer could get the same number of The Fall by ordering from that same retailer since the numbers are blocked off that way. But a lot of copies of The Strain have changed hands while we've been waiting on the signature sheets for The Fall. Could you please email me (address below) with what number you received, and I'll figure out where it originally went out into the world from and what we need to do to try to get you the same number for the other two books? That goes for anyone who bought The Strain second-hand, of course. Drop me a line when you can. Thanks!

Brian

Julzz
03-11-2016, 03:24 AM
I've been contemplating on buying this and there's been a few on ebay. Listing states that that buying it will have the first opportunity to buy the next volume. How does that work exactly, what I really mean is it guaranteed that I'll have the right to buy The Fall? I'm just a bit cautious when I buy from someone I'm not too familiar with.

Brian861
03-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Given the time that has passed, it's a bit more complicated than norman, eh? Usually, the person who purchased The Strain from a retailer could get the same number of The Fall by ordering from that same retailer since the numbers are blocked off that way. But a lot of copies of The Strain have changed hands while we've been waiting on the signature sheets for The Fall. Could you please email me (address below) with what number you received, and I'll figure out where it originally went out into the world from and what we need to do to try to get you the same number for the other two books? That goes for anyone who bought The Strain second-hand, of course. Drop me a line when you can. Thanks!

Brian

That's why I love this guy! Way to go above and beyond, Brian! This would be a great post to refer back to when bitching about "where's my book" when CD is wanting on authors/artists to fulfill their commitments so CD can fulfill theirs to us. Just my 2c. Soapbox all put away now. Carry on :).

bsaenz24
03-11-2016, 03:15 PM
I've been contemplating on buying this and there's been a few on ebay. Listing states that that buying it will have the first opportunity to buy the next volume. How does that work exactly, what I really mean is it guaranteed that I'll have the right to buy The Fall? I'm just a bit cautious when I buy from someone I'm not too familiar with.

The Strain is a gorgeous volume.

Brian James Freeman
03-11-2016, 04:49 PM

It's tough to say without knowing the actual sellers because The Fall has already been offered to The Strain customers, etc. If you see an auction you like for The Strain, and they say the book number (which they really should reveal!), drop me a line and I'll see if I can find out if that number has been purchased for The Fall.

Brian

programmer
05-20-2016, 03:01 AM
Congrats on having del toro sign the signature sheets for the fall.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but was wondering when the night eternal will be available for purchase. Do we need to register for the lonely road books newsletter? Furthermore, has del toro signed the sheets for these as well?

Many thanks!

Leo

Dan Hocker
05-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Congrats on having del toro sign the signature sheets for the fall.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but was wondering when the night eternal will be available for purchase. Do we need to register for the lonely road books newsletter? Furthermore, has del toro signed the sheets for these as well?

Many thanks!

Leo

At this point I couldn't tell you when it'll be officially announced. I think we have to get a lot closer to the publication of The Fall first. As to the newsletter, I don't think so, but it wouldn't hurt. I know if you purchased The Fall you should get advanced notice on The Night Eternal.

Dan Hocker
04-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Just a heads up for everyone, The Fall will begin shipping next week.

bsaenz24
04-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Sweet!!!!

programmer
05-04-2017, 01:08 AM
Is the Night Eternal going to be on sale soon? How do we purchase it? Am currently subscribed to Lonely Road Books newsletter if that's any help.

Dan Hocker
05-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Is the Night Eternal going to be on sale soon? How do we purchase it? Am currently subscribed to Lonely Road Books newsletter if that's any help.

I'm not entirely sure. I would assume we'll probably wait until we're a bit closer to production. Did you buy The Fall? If so people who bought The Fall / whatever the last Lonely Road book was should get advanced notice.

Brian James Freeman
05-12-2017, 11:24 PM

The plan is to offer it once it is ready for or at the printer, to lessen the wait time between ordering and delivery. Those who bought The Fall from CD will be notified first.

Brian