PDA

View Full Version : AAWWOOOOOOOO!!! Werewolf books..

calason
05-13-2011, 09:12 PM
What are some of everyone's favorite werewolf books? Of all the werewolf books I've read, I think my fave might be Al Sarantonio's Moonbane. I couldn't put it down, the pacing was unrelenting and EVERY page lent itself to the continuation of the story. I also really liked his werewolves and there origins.

RJK1981
05-14-2011, 12:09 AM
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought of Moonbane. Found that one to be a great book as well. Only think I didn't like was that while reading I had an idea for a werewolf story where they didn't change back to human form even when the moon wasn't full, and then shortly after that I discovered that the werewolves I was reading about were like that, though I have a hunch Al did a better job at setting it up and explaining it than I would have been able to come up with

Antmusic
05-14-2011, 01:51 AM
Great, now I have Warren Zevon going through my head. I highly recommend Bestial: Werewolf Apocolypse by William D. Carl. I had a lot of fun reading it, and the author is working on a 2nd book right now that I can't wait for!

frik51
05-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Not much of a werewolf fan, I'm afraid. In movies, yes, but not so much in books.
I've only read King's Cycle of the Werewolf and McCammon's The Wolf's Hour.

sk

srboone
05-14-2011, 05:35 AM
MOONBANE was teriffic, I must admit. And I was quite impressed with THE HOWLING. And of course I've read CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF. Nothing else really comes to mind..

bsaenz24
05-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Wolf's Hour is a classic!!!

goathunter
05-15-2011, 05:59 PM
The Wolf's Hour is my favorite werewolf novel, with Jeffrey Sackett's Mark of the Werewolf a close second. The original version of that novel, called Lycanthropos, is available as an ebook from Crossroads Press (click here to purchase (http://store.crossroadpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101_22_28&products_id=285); you can also read about how it differs from Mark of the Werewolf on that page). Al Sarrantonio's Moonbane is my third-favorite. I also really enjoyed Steve Vance's The Hyde Effect and Steve Ruthenbeck's The Dogs of War.

Hunter

Martin
05-15-2011, 08:33 PM
I have Moonbane on the shelf and have not read it yet. This thread has me thinking it should be my next book to read.

calason
05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Great, now I have Warren Zevon going through my head. I highly recommend Bestial: Werewolf Apocolypse by William D. Carl. I had a lot of fun reading it, and the author is working on a 2nd book right now that I can't wait for!

Warren Zevon was going through my head when I started this. Bestial: Werewolf Apocolypse is a great read.

Frik and bsaen, I have been meaning to get a copy of The wolf's Hour. So it IS that good then?

Goat, excellent suggestions. I will track all of them down

calason
05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
DO IT! Such a great read.

bsaenz24
05-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Frik and bsaen, I have been meaning to get a copy of The wolf's Hour. So it IS that good then?

calason, Wolf's Hour is OUTSTANDING as a werewolf novel, as a historical fiction novel and simply as a well written compusively readable book. It doesn't matter if you get the Subterranean edition of simply the old massmarket paperback. It is a must read!!!!

frik51
05-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Well....I was not too impressed - as I usually am with a McCammon book.
It was quick read, lots of action, but somehow disappointing.
That's how I remember reading it - way back in '89.
Time for a re-read, I think.

sk

bsaenz24
05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Well....I was not too impressed - as I usually am with a McCammon book.
It was quick read, lots of action, but somehow disappointing.
That's how I remember reading it - way back in '89.
Time for a re-read, I think.

sk

Really? Hhmmm. I guess there has to be ONE person who didn't love it!! ;)

frik51
05-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Let's just say it was the McCammon book I liked the least, together with Stinger.
My favorites are Boy's Life, They Thirst and Swan Song.

sk

Aceprincess
05-17-2011, 11:31 PM
There is also Ravenous by Ray Garton or for a different take The Wolfman by Nicholas Pekearo was very good!

njhorror
05-18-2011, 05:28 PM
How about GOOD anthos.

calason
05-18-2011, 06:03 PM
How about GOOD anthos.

Anthologies as well, please.

jester05jk
05-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Wolf's Hour is great, the added short story from SubPress was awesome and has me waiting for the next one. Beastial was a fun, quick read. Fairly short, I think I read it straight through. A few other oldies I loved when I read them were Wolfsbane by William Johnstone, Quarrel With the Moon by J.C. Conway, and Werewolves be Jerry and Sharon Ahern. Only anthology I read was Werewolves:Dead Moon Rising which came out maybe early '10? It wasn't bad, nothing really jumped out as a future great.

I too, have Moonbane sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. I think I've hit the point of having more to read than I've read.

RJK1981
05-23-2011, 12:33 AM
I think I've hit the point of having more to read than I've read.

I hit that point a long time ago, yet I keep buying more and more, lol. I've made a dent though, up to over 30 books read so far since December, though I've purchased many, many more than that in that time too

I'm thinking I might need to check out some of these other werewolf stories

Dave1442397
05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
I thought The Wolf's Hour was a fantastic read, and I'm much more into the Vampire genre myself. I bought the Sub Press edition and read it recently, and I pre-purchased the next book in the series.

After that, I think The Howling is one of my favorites. I just bought the new limited edition, but haven't read it yet.

frik51
05-26-2011, 03:58 PM
I thought The Wolf's Hour was a fantastic read, and I'm much more into the Vampire genre myself.

You should try McCammons' They Thirst.
I think it's a much better book than The Wolf's Hour.

sk

Dave1442397
05-27-2011, 02:16 PM
You should try McCammons' They Thirst.
I think it's a much better book than The Wolf's Hour.

sk

I have all McCammon's books (mostly in paperback up in the attic) and I remember reading They Thirst a few times, although it's been many years now. I'd have to read it again to compare it to The Wolf's Hour, but either way I still like The Wolf's Hour a lot.

Mickmarseviltwin
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
For me it has to be Moon Dance by S P Somtow. Absolutely stunningly written. Quite an original concept too. :)

C.W. LaSart
06-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Definitely Wolf's Hour by McCammon-and I really enjoyed They Thirst too. I think my fave McCammon would be a three way tie though-Stinger, Swansong and the Sings the Nightbird trilogy.

frik51
06-09-2011, 04:19 AM
I think my fave McCammon would be

Boy's Life!

sk

Untitled
06-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah, the Subpress edition of Wolf's Hour was gorgeous. And the fact that the collection "The Hunter From the Woods" is scheduled for later this year has me chomping at the bit!

TerryE
06-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Has anyone read Peter David's "Howling Mad"? It concerns a wolf who gets bitten by a werewolf and every full moon turns human. Very funny. I also remember enjoying "Wolfen" when it read it many, many moons ago.

bsaenz24
06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Sings the Nightbird trilogy.

Thought shalt not say trilogy!!!! He might get mad and not write the next 7!!! LOL!!!

C.W. LaSart
06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Thought shalt not say trilogy!!!! He might get mad and not write the next 7!!! LOL!!!

My most humble apologies :)

Dave1442397
06-10-2011, 11:45 AM
For me it has to be Moon Dance by S P Somtow. Absolutely stunningly written. Quite an original concept too. :)

I'd forgotten about that one, and yes, I remember liking it a lot.

Dave1442397
06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I also remember enjoying "Wolfen" when it read it many, many moons ago.

I've read "The Wolfen" a few times, and I still like the movie, even though it's a bit dated. Whitley Strieber also wrote "The Hunger", which I really enjoyed and I will still watch the movie at least every couple of years.

goathunter
06-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Fortunately, he's almost finished with The Providence Rider, the fourth Matthew Corbett novel. :)

Hunter

calason
06-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

fmancino
06-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Was Cycle of the Werewolf a fascinating read?

calason
06-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Has anyone read Peter David's "Howling Mad"? It concerns a wolf who gets bitten by a werewolf and every full moon turns human. Very funny. I also remember enjoying "Wolfen" when it read it many, many moons ago.

This sounds great! Def going to check it out.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-01-2011, 10:23 PM
The closest I've come to writing a werewolf novel was with MASTER OF THE MOORS (http://www.amazon.com/Master-Moors-Kealan-Patrick-Burke/dp/0975363573), which focused on the strogoi - a vampire/werewolf hybrid. My favorite book in this genre, however, has to be Robert McCammon's WOLF'S HOUR.

JJ Holden
07-02-2011, 09:57 PM
The closest I've come to writing a werewolf novel was with MASTER OF THE MOORS (http://www.amazon.com/Master-Moors-Kealan-Patrick-Burke/dp/0975363573), which focused on the strogoi - a vampire/werewolf hybrid. My favorite book in this genre, however, has to be Robert McCammon's WOLF'S HOUR.

Wolf's Hour is amazing. I lost my original copy, couldn't afford that gorgeous new Subterranean version, but I managed to find used paperback for around four bucks, so I'm good.

Kealan Patrick Burke
07-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Yep, one of my favorite McCammons, though I have yet to read SWAN SONG.

frik51
07-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Swan Song is awesome. Much more than a Stand imitation and well worth reading.

sk

mhatchett
07-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I'll slip off topic slighty. My favorite Werewolf short story. Karl Edward Wagner's "Reflections for the Winter of my Soul". Part of the Kane Cycle.

goathunter
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I just read Cherie Priest's Dreadful Skin (out-of-print, but available for Kindle here (http://www.amazon.com/Dreadful-Skin-ebook/dp/B004FV50EG/tag=theroberrmcca-20) (and hardcopies are available from Amazon sellers). I enjoyed it a lot and would rank it fourth or fifth in my favorites list (after The Wolf's Hour, Jeffrey Sackett's Lycanthropos (Mark of the Werewolf), and Al Sarrantonio's Moonbane).

Hunter

Mac Campbell
08-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Here's a rare on: The Orphan, by Robert Kallman. From 1985, it features a creature whose core identity is the wolf, not the human. It can change human identities at will. I think this book is part of a trilogy.

Ronald Kelly
08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
The limited hc of Undertaker's Moon (formerly Moon of the Werewolf / Zebra Books 1991) will be out in September from Thunderstorm Books. It'll boast the cool Alex McVey blue werewolf cover and more Irish werewolf shenanigans in the form of a brand new novella. Book One in the Essential Ronald Kelly Collection.

JDar.
08-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Another rec for MOONBANE - especially the CD HC with the spooky cover by Alan M Clark and the cool interior art by Keith Minnion.

I also enjoyed Lorne Dixon's SNARL.

Just heard that Harry Shannon has revised his hard to find NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF and renamed it CLAN. I'm anxious to revisit this story. :cool:

Keep Smiling, Jan

calason
08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
The limited hc of Undertaker's Moon (formerly Moon of the Werewolf / Zebra Books 1991) will be out in September from Thunderstorm Books. It'll boast the cool Alex McVey blue werewolf cover and more Irish werewolf shenanigans in the form of a brand new novella. Book One in the Essential Ronald Kelly Collection.

I went to the website and couldn't find an option to order, is it already sold out? The cover art looks amazing.

srboone
08-23-2011, 01:53 AM
I went to the website and couldn't find an option to order, is it already sold out? The cover art looks amazing.

Not up for preorder yet; I got my hands on a papberback copy of Moon of the Werewolf--the original title for Undertaker's Moon. It's next on my TBR list, assuming nothing else takes it's place (I'm looking forward to reading those Slocum westerns Kelly wrote!)

Ronald Kelly
08-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Not up for preorder yet; I got my hands on a papberback copy of Moon of the Werewolf--the original title for Undertaker's Moon. It's next on my TBR list, assuming nothing else takes it's place (I'm looking forward to reading those Slocum westerns Kelly wrote!)

The two Slocum westerns are "Slocum & The Nightriders" #174 and "Slocum & The Gold Slaves" #187. The latter one takes place in Alaska.

Preorder info for UM shouldn't be far away...

Nicole Cushing
08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I haven't looked all the way back to each post in this thread to see if it's been mentioned, so apologies if this is a repeat.

Werewolf readers may wanna check out Skipp's antho Werewolves & Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beast Within. Many stories by very well-known authors (Gaiman, H.P. Lovecraft, George R.R. Martin, Chuck Palahniuk, just to name three) and one story penned by a total unknown by the name of Nicole Cushing. ;) Skipp also included some essays on werewolf stuff. I'm biased, of course, but I think it's a good read.

Nicole

sweeper4football
09-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Harry Shanon's 'Clan' is a fantastic read and one of my all time favorite werewolf books. It can be ordered here http://www.amazon.com/CLAN-ebook/dp/B005IDKXDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315216507&sr=8-1 on Kindle for $4.01 and the softcover should be out anytime soon.

Another favorite is The Howling and there are some gorgeous limited/lettered hardcovers that can be bought here:

Collectors: http://www.mansionhousebooks.co.uk/index.php?page=productitem&product=851&m1=438&m2=700&account=3&site=7&product_sitesearch=&product_catsearch=

Deluxe: http://www.mansionhousebooks.co.uk/index.php?page=productitem&product=852&m1=438&m2=700&account=3&site=7&product_sitesearch=&product_catsearch=

Lettered: http://www.mansionhousebooks.co.uk/index.php?page=productitem&product=853&m1=438&m2=700&account=3&site=7&product_sitesearch=&product_catsearch=

Jason.

calason
09-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Harry Shanon's 'Clan' is a fantastic read and one of my all time favorite werewolf books. It can be ordered here http://www.amazon.com/CLAN-ebook/dp/B005IDKXDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315216507&sr=8-1 on Kindle for $4.01 and the softcover should be out anytime soon.

Another favorite is The Howling and there are some gorgeous limited/lettered hardcovers that can be bought here:

Collectors: http://www.mansionhousebooks.co.uk/index.php?page=productitem&product=851&m1=438&m2=700&account=3&site=7&product_sitesearch=&product_catsearch=

Deluxe: http://www.mansionhousebooks.co.uk/index.php?page=productitem&product=852&m1=438&m2=700&account=3&site=7&product_sitesearch=&product_catsearch=

Lettered: http://www.mansionhousebooks.co.uk/index.php?page=productitem&product=853&m1=438&m2=700&account=3&site=7&product_sitesearch=&product_catsearch=

Jason.

I purchased the deluxe edition of this, and must say that I'm extremely satisfied with it. The quality and craftsmanship that went into this is very impressive. The story is great as well.

sweeper4football
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I purchased the deluxe edition of this, and must say that I'm extremely satisfied with it. The quality and craftsmanship that went into this is very impressive. The story is great as well.

Excellent! I bet it smells and feels lovely! ;)