PDA

View Full Version : Knowing Darkness

folgersnyourcup
05-11-2011, 07:50 PM
This came in the mail yesterday courtesy of the CD promotion.... Anyone else get it???? I haven't even peeled the shrinkwrap off yet, but am in awe by the size, weight, and quality of the outer packaging alone!

Dan Hocker
05-11-2011, 08:07 PM
We actually just finished shipping the last of these today, with the exception of the non-us customer's who haven't paid postage yet. I actually personally really love this book. It is by far one of the neatest books that has come across my path in a long time.

bsaenz24
05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
I abolutely LOVE this book!!! I bought it when Centipede Press offered a great price on the signed edition a little while back. The only "bad" thing about it is that is is SO BIG!!! that can't fit it even on my taller shelves without sacrificing the shelf above. Not sure where I will store it in the long term. A good problem to have I guess.

Dan Hocker
05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
On the darktower.org board, I saw some pretty interesting display case solutions. I also think I saw / heard somewhere about someone making a wood / glass coffee table that had a glass lid on hinges in which they stored the "gigantic" signed edition it.

calason
05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I got the traycased edition from Centipede Press when they had a deal going. I also purchased the display case from stephenkingcollector.com when they had them available. It could be mounted on the wall or stood up. It looks really good on the wall.

Brian James Freeman
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I absolutely love this book, but I have to look into one of the storage/display options because sitting flat on top of the bookcase only allows it to gather dust quicker -- and also endanger everyone around you when you're trying to get it down!

Brian

Antmusic
05-12-2011, 03:13 AM
I saw Centipede's similar Lovecraft book at a convention and it was AWESOME (the signed book was a work of art unto itself). I'm jealous as all can be for people who have Knowing Darkness and/or Artist Inspired by HP Lovecraft.

Dan Hocker
05-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Here I found the website for the one person that makes display cases for this book. This is for the slip cased version, doesn't really help with the tray cased version, but I think it's pretty cool. https://www.bookslipcase.com/Home.html Here's the picture.
https://www.bookslipcase.com/images/kd_wall_display_web_lg_uvc1_cyxu.jpg

folgersnyourcup
05-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Wow, thanks for the link Dan. Definitely a cool way to display the book. I have my last final exam tomorrow and then am diving into the book as a reward. Can't wait!

calason
05-12-2011, 04:09 AM
The case I have is very similar in design to the one pictured. The coloring is black and has a black felt with a plaque on it with the title.

I don't know how to post pics, otherwise I would.

Martin
05-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I also purchased this when CD had the recent promotional price. I expect to get mine today or tomorrow. I can't wait!

frik51
05-12-2011, 06:56 PM
It's an awesome book.
I've got both editions -slipcased/traycased- and they belong to the pride and joy of my collection.

sk

Martin
05-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Received my copy today. Got a little nervous when I saw the box was partially crushed. Upon opening my package I realized I had no need to worry. CD had packaged it with more than enough materials to ensure the book was pristine! THis book is indeed a work of art, now to determine how to display it.

divemaster
05-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I have the slipcased version--would love to have the traycased as well!

frik51
05-13-2011, 04:05 PM
My traycased edition came with this original Michael Whelan illustration:
There's no direct King link, but I mailed Michael and he told me it was King-inspired.

sk

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/4504/aanwinstenstephenking20z.jpg

cdfan
05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
that is a beautiful drawing, of course. I have yet to get anything remarqued in a book or other original sketches but something like that picture would be wonderful to have, especially on that oversized Knowing Darkness paper.

misery chastain loves co.
06-12-2011, 07:13 PM
I just bought this today!! Cant wait to get it, it looks fantastic!! That display case pictured above is awesome! I bought the unsigned slipcase edition. Since this thread is a little old, for those of you that have it already and have read and/or glanced through it, what are your thoughts?

Agreed:that drawing in your version is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, I was wondering what it looked like....

frik51
06-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Knowing Darkness is an absolutely GORGOUS book: the most beautiful one I own, bar none.
Congratulations on acquiring it. And do let us know what you think once it has arrived!

sk

RJK1981
06-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I have not gotten this one yet, but think it would be a great addition if I'm ever able to acquire it, whether signed or not. I remember getting the e-mail about it from CD and wish I could afford it

ozmosis7
06-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Is it a copy of a drawing--like a print? Or an actual drawing? It's very nice.

PaulB
06-13-2011, 02:10 AM
I am supremely jealous of all those who own this amazing looking book. Unfortunately just could not afford the $$. I will continue to look and drool.

frik51
06-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Is it a copy of a drawing--like a print? Or an actual drawing? It's very nice.

It's an original Michael Whelan drawing an came with the traycased editon.
Well...came......like it came for free..
NOT!

sk

Tito_Villa
06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I now own the slipcased and traycased versions and they both are bloody brilliant, can't say enough about the quality of them

misery chastain loves co.
06-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Knowing Darkness is an absolutely GORGOUS book: the most beautiful one I own, bar none.
Congratulations on acquiring it. And do let us know what you think once it has arrived!

sk
WOW. Simply.....WOW. As much as I read(as we all do!) I cant find the proper words to describe this. I've only had the chance to flip through it and am already in complete awe....

frik51
06-27-2011, 06:17 AM
And for those of you still not owning this gem -it's still avaiable!
Go for it!!

http://www.centipedepress.com/art/skart.html

And no, I don't work for CP nor receive commission.

sk

Tito_Villa
06-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Siep aren't you going to frame the original art???

frik51
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Thom, you're right!
I'll get to it in a few weeks time, once I've returned from my US trip.

sk

Tito_Villa
06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Cool, don't forget to post a pic when you've got it back!

frik51
06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
I will.
But, I don't really have an eye for this sort of thing.
I mean, should I use a mat? Or just frame it?
Suggestions anyone??

sk

Tito_Villa
06-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Definately use a mat, imo i think it really lets the piece stand out like my girlfriend did for my Desperation sketch ...
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz116/tito_villa/Books/Photo387-1.jpg

And if you can go for the more expensive glass that doesn't reflect the light so much, i wish i had doen so for some of the older pieces i have framed because with the 2 that i have used the better glass for it makes such a difference! When i get the internet up and running thurs i will start my own collection thread!

frik51
06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
When i get the internet up and running thurs i will start my own collection thread!

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for your suggestions - I will definitely use the more expensive, non-reflective glass.
Plus a mat.

Love your Desperation sketch!

sk

Ben Staad
06-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Looking forward to it.

Thanks for your suggestions - I will definitely use the more expensive, non-reflective glass.
Plus a mat.

Love your Desperation sketch!

sk

I second all of that! The sketch is great and the extra money for the non-reflective glass is well worth it.

peteOcha
06-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Definately use a mat, imo i think it really lets the piece stand out like my girlfriend did for my Desperation sketch ...
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz116/tito_villa/Books/Photo387-1.jpg

And if you can go for the more expensive glass that doesn't reflect the light so much, i wish i had doen so for some of the older pieces i have framed because with the 2 that i have used the better glass for it makes such a difference! When i get the internet up and running thurs i will start my own collection thread!

Great sketch! Can't wait to see your collection!

ozmosis7
06-27-2011, 02:47 PM
That's an incredible drawing! I wish I still did more of that kind of thing.

Tito_Villa
06-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks everyone, there is a watercolour to go with it too but thats for later :)

herbertwest
07-03-2011, 12:41 PM
This is quite neat.
KNOWING DARKNESS, is a MUST have for all fans of Stephen King. A really massive book though !