PDA

View Full Version : Blu Gilliand's Collection

Blu Gilliand
04-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Hey guys! I've been admiring many of your collections on this forum for quite some time, and thought I'd finally get around to sharing my own humble "library." It's a mix of everything from battered old paperbacks to a couple of higher-end collector's items, so hopefully everybody will see something they like. Anyway, I figured I'd kick it off with the two that are probably the rarest, most "collectible" things that I own.

First up: Copy #229 of Six Stories by Stephen King:

I was able to get this when it was first published thanks to a postcard from the George Beahm mailing list - I sent in a check ($80, I believe) to reserve my copy, and it showed up a while later. I really didn't know what I had at the time, but it's a cherished piece now!

frik51
04-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Excellent, Blu! That's one I don't own myself!
Can't wait to see what else you've got to show us...

sk

Joe315
04-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Real nice. Looking forward to more.

Blu Gilliand
04-25-2012, 04:15 AM
Next up: Copy #800 of Grant's signed, numbered, traycased edition of Prime Evil.

I worked at a comic book store in college, and the owner spent a weekend away at a convention (Dragon*Con in Atlanta, I think). He won this in a raffle there. He brought it back and handed it to me, saying, "I can't think of anyone who'd appreciate this as much as you." Needless to say, he still stands tall as my favorite boss ever!

frik51
04-25-2012, 04:16 AM
Another treasure! This is gonna be a great thread!!

sk

RJK1981
04-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Both of those look great!

srboone
04-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Great posts! Love to see more!

Grant Wootton
04-25-2012, 05:05 AM
Fantastic start to the thread Blu - both are incredible books !!!! :cool:

peteOcha
04-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Love what I see! And that sure is one great boss you had! :)

Teriw
04-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Hate this new guy already.

srboone
04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Then he is acceptable! (But here's been around for a while, just not a mapcap poster like us.:rolleyes:)

Teriw
04-25-2012, 09:48 AM
He's a lurker with only 39 posts I think it was when I first saw him. So that makes him new.

peteOcha
04-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Blu's been here from the start, just not a big poster.

TerryE
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh, Blu, two great pieces to start the thread. I still kick myself for passing on "Six Stories" when it was first released. My boss at the comic store was never that generous, but was a great guy.

Martin
04-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Impressive Blu, two posts into a new collection thread and you already have an 'I Hate Chu'. Congratulations are in order. Thanks for starting a new collection thread, looking forward to seeing more!

bookworm 1
04-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Great stuff and we ...well accept for terri love everything from the old paperback to the highly collectable.Very good stuff.Looking forward to lots more.
Hey guys! I've been admiring many of your collections on this forum for quite some time, and thought I'd finally get around to sharing my own humble "library." It's a mix of everything from battered old paperbacks to a couple of higher-end collector's items, so hopefully everybody will see something they like. Anyway, I figured I'd kick it off with the two that are probably the rarest, most "collectible" things that I own.

First up: Copy #229 of Six Stories by Stephen King:

I was able to get this when it was first published thanks to a postcard from the George Beahm mailing list - I sent in a check ($80, I believe) to reserve my copy, and it showed up a while later. I really didn't know what I had at the time, but it's a cherished piece now!

Ben Staad
04-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Wow I'm very envious of your "Six Stories"! Great book.

Blu Gilliand
04-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys (and, er, TeriW). I hope to post some more tonight - but be warned, it's all downhill from here!

Tito_Villa
04-26-2012, 02:26 PM
You have some fantastic books though!

Blu Gilliand
04-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Okay up next I've got the signed/numbered/slipcased edition of Borderlands 5:

frik51
04-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Another one I don't have yet.
Excellent!!

sk

Blu Gilliand
04-27-2012, 04:23 AM
I've seen a lot of Neil Gaiman stuff in these threads, so along those lines I'll add this:

This is by Jill Thompson, who illustrated a lot of Gaiman's Sandman stories. The inscription reads: "Blu - You got what everybody gets....you got a lifetime." (It's a quote from Sandman.)

The story behind it is that we hosted her at a signing at the comic shop I worked at in college. She was extremely nice and cool to spend time with, and did sketches for everyone who worked there. After the signing we all took her to dinner and then went to this factory owned by the family f one of my co-workers. She wanted to see it to take some photos for reference, so we spent half the night roaming around this big place, which was operational at the time but closed for the night. At one point we were all on the roof talking, and she was taking pictures and sketching like mad. It was a great night.

Blu Gilliand
04-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Hmm, don't know why the images are attached sometimes and embedded others - sorry! (Guess that's what I get for being a "lurker!" LOL)

Teriw
04-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Your ] got deleted off the edge of the attachment code thingy.

peteOcha
04-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Great stuff! Really like your edition of Borderlands and the cool story with Jill Thompson! Man I'd love to work in a comic shop! :)

srboone
04-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the excellent story, Blu (and the Borderlands 5)!

Tito_Villa
04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Nice pic and is that you? Great hair!

Blu Gilliand
04-27-2012, 01:56 PM
TeriW - Thanks! That fixed it right up.

Tito - Nah, that's not me. I'm a man, man! LOL That is actually Jill's version of the character "Death" from the Sandman comics.

I hope to get some more stuff up this weekend.

Tito_Villa
04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Arrr sorry about that man man!

TerryE
04-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Love the Death portrait. I always liked Jill's stuff. My little guy really liked the Scary Godmother stories that she did for ... Dark Horse? And the Borderlands is another one that I'm missing.

Wasn't working at a comic store one of the best jobs ever? Even though the pay stunk, it was good for college days for me too.

bookworm 1
04-27-2012, 10:20 PM
If Borderlands 5 is going down hill I will gladly stumbel off the mountain.Very nice book and piece of art.

Grant Wootton
04-28-2012, 08:16 AM
SK signatures always welcome !!!! :cool:

frik51
04-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Even though it's becoming sloppier and sloppier by the book....
No wonder, with all the books King is signing every year.

sk

peteOcha
04-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Even though it's becoming sloppier and sloppier by the book....
No wonder, with all the books King is signing every year.

sk

Hmm, I haven't noticed that but will have to compare some! I'm guessing though that you are right. I mean with soooo many books to sign...

frik51
04-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I've only got King's signatures in S/L editions.
If I would have found some of his later ones flatsigned, I wouldn't have believed they were authentic.

sk

Grant Wootton
04-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Or some of his earlier ones, too, I might add :D

Blu Gilliand
06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Well, time got away from me, but I'm going to try and add a few more pictures to this thread this week. This batch contains some overall views of my home office.

This one is in B/W because the color on it was too washed out. It's my humble little desk with its humble little laptop.

The stack of books at the back of the desk is stuff waiting to be reviewed (with my Kindle on top). In front of that stack is a couple of books by Ace Atkins (Lullabye and The Lost Ones that I recently got signed, with a copy of Tom Piccirilli's new one The Last Kind Words and an old issue of Fangoria on top. The big framed picture on the wall is a Pearl Jam tour poster, and directly underneath it is a plaque commemorating my beloved Auburn University's 2010 BCS National Championship. The other two framed items are a Pearl Jam album cover and a Neil Young/Pearl Jam album cover.

The small bookcase to the left has some Stephen King audiobooks on it, some oversized SK signed books, some ARCs from Cemetery Dance, some Hard Case Crime books, and magazines with stuff I've written in them, plus some other miscellaneous stuff.

Blu Gilliand
06-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Somehow I attached my second photo to that one - consider it a preview! Here it is embedded (I hope):

These are the three main bookcases in the room. The first one on the left has a row of collected Peanuts comic strips across the top. The first proper shelf is filled with stuff from various small presses. Lots of Kealan Patrick Burke, Gary Braunbeck, a Ray Garton (Scissors), a couple of volumes of the Shivers anthology, some chapbooks and a few more ARCs. The second shelf has most of my Michael Chabon books (including a complete run of the Escapist comics) and some Joe Lansdales. Third shelf is a mix of paperbacks (Tim Lebbon, Jack Ketchum, Charles Grant among them) with a stack of Ernest Hemingways in the front. Fourth shelf is the Harry Potter books (covered up by several Robert McCammon books) and some Hellboy stuff - one of the hardcover "Library Editions" and the first "Plague of Frogs" hardcover collection among them. There's also a couple of the Hammer books from Titan on there. Bottom shelf has my Calvin & Hobbes books and some other miscellaneous stuff.

The second bookcase is mostly Clive Barker (first two shelves) and Neil Gaiman (third shelf). Cemetery Dance and some other magazines (some old issues of Creepy included are on the top. The fourth shelf has some Jeffery Deaver books (mostly covered up by The Sopranos and Indiana Jones movies), and the bottom has nonfiction stuff ranging from Jon Krakauer to Mick Foley.

The last bookcase is all Stephen King. I really could use another one that size - I couldn't fill it yet, but I'd be getting close if I moved all of the stuff from other places and collected it in one spot. Nothing spectacular there - just the hardcovers, a few special editions (mostly Dark Tower-related) near the top, and the bottom shelf has all the paperbacks I first bought when discovering King for the first time.

Blu Gilliand
06-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Finally, the infamous "To-Be-Read" wall:

Yeah. I may have a problem. Majority of these have not been read - some have been started, some have been read and need to be re-read. But the large majority are once I will get to....one day.

I've read The Hammer Vault but propped it up there because I like how it looks. I've read 20th Century Ghosts, but not that copy. Oh, and the very first row isn't books, but movies that I had no place else to store. The first shelf of paperbacks are all trade paperbacks (with the exception of most of the Hard Case Crimes tucked off to the left), and the bottom is all mass market paperbacks. Both of those shelves are double-stacked, so there's a whole row of stuff you can't see. *Sigh*

srboone
06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Deep breaths, Blu. just pick one up and start reading Slow but steady wins the race. We're all in the same boat.

Thanks for sharing your pain with us tho. ;)

bookworm 1
06-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Some how I can not see your to be read shelf.The first picture of all your book cases is awesome.Can not wait for you to share more pics with us.:cool:

srboone
06-25-2012, 10:35 PM
To get those to show up, Blu, you'll have to go into the manage attachments and re-attach the photos. I can see that the last two don't have anything attached to them, but I can only bring up my attachment files, not yours.