PDA

View Full Version : e-readers

Xiabei
04-13-2012, 02:04 PM
If you have one, what do you use, and what do you think of it?

I got the Nook Simple Touch for Christmas. Two complaints: the background ("page") is much duller than the photos on the B&N website, which makes it look almost white. In reality, it looks like a bowl of oatmeal. And I wish there was a feature to delete items directly on the unit itself; instead, you have to "synchronize" with your B&N Nook account; I'm no dummy or Luddite but it seems like a complicated way to do something so simple. I don't have wi-fi at home so I end up going to the library, but every time I want to delete something I end up scratching my head and going around in circles.

At home, I use Adobe Reader edition to download books, so no problem there; I just connect my Nook and drag the books into it. For me, the Nook for PC program is pretty annoying too. It's easy to put books on, not so easy to take them off, unless I'm missing something.

And now I see that next month they're coming out with a back-lit Simple Touch. It would be nice if they had a trade-in program.

EDIT: Today I installed an update, and I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but the background seems a bit brighter now. Of course, I had my eyes dilated this afternoon, so maybe I'm imagining it.

Dan Hocker
04-13-2012, 02:19 PM
I have an android tablet that I use. The original galaxy tab to be exact, and I use the Kindle app for it. I like it a lot as I much prefer the amazon store to the Barnes and Nobel store.

RJK1981
04-13-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't really read many eBooks since I prefer physical books, but I do a little reading with the Kindle app on my Droid Incredible. I have the B&N app as well but don't use it typically as you have to connect to your account every time I think in order to read anything. I can read on my Kindle App whenever I want, with or without reception. I can't get new books or sync with no connection though obviously

srboone
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Have a Kindle PC app filling up with ebooks I'll I never read because of the format....

Joe315
04-13-2012, 04:05 PM
I have an iPad but I have considered getting a kindle do its more comfortable reading outside.

TerryE
04-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I also have a Kindle app on my phone, but only use it when there's no other reading material around. If I used a reader at all, I would want it to be the size of a standard hardback book. I've always loved amazon, so I support them. The app works great, and the few things I've ordered have mostly been done on my PC through the regular website, which I like.

Dave1442397
04-13-2012, 06:10 PM
I mostly use the Kindle app on the iPad. I sometimes use my wife's Kindle, or the cloud reader on my PC, and I've even used the Kindle app on my phone for when I'm stuck in boring classes. I find the Kindle easy to use. I've never trie the Nook.

Teriw
04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Everyone already knows I love my Sony Ereader thats filled with 72 king book/items and Seriously, I'm Kidding by Ellen...I think that one feels out of place.

Xiabei
04-13-2012, 09:00 PM
I've also found that I don't really like to buy books for it. If I like an author enough to buy something, I want the physical copy. A friend of mine sent me a gift card and said "Buy a bunch of books for your Nook", but I got real books instead.

But if I download good books from the library, I'll add them to the "buy a real book" list.

Teriw
04-13-2012, 09:25 PM
If you've bought the physical copy you've already supported the author...in these cases I find it better to go AROUND paying for the ebook. Shouldn't have to pay for both when the digital is physically nothing. IMO.

peteOcha
04-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Kindle app on the ipad and on the phone. But don't really use them as I always have a paperback with me.

Grant Wootton
04-13-2012, 10:26 PM
The Amazon Kindle DX is the one for me - it's got a large screen, it's light weight, it's equipped with both Wi-Fi and 3G, so downloading is never a problem, the battery lasts for ages and, best of all, like me, it's simple to operate ;)

Teriw
04-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Yea yours has 3G, but is it red? NO! so Sony is better. lol

srboone
04-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Hmmmm...

Teri 1
Mr. Woot Zip...el zilcho!

Grant Wootton
04-13-2012, 10:39 PM
<sigh> okay Teri, you win :o

peteOcha
04-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Kindle definitely wins. Very nice Grant, love the bookcase cover you have on it!

Teriw
04-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Not when you love red as much as I do...its sexy. lol.

Teriw
04-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Kindles are also wayyyyyy to big. I picked the sony because reviews said it was the easiest to read. Better contrast.

Grant Wootton
04-13-2012, 11:27 PM
I need BIG cos of my failing eyesight - yours is very nice Teri - red is good, true :)

Teriw
04-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Well I can still make the font BIG. but To each his own anyway.

Grant Wootton
04-14-2012, 12:41 AM
The DX allows multiple font sizes too, however; I really enjoy, for some twisted reason, reading more than three words per screen page - although I guess the slow reveal builds the suspense, right:rolleyes:

Teriw
04-14-2012, 12:49 AM
I have mine set to regular book font. the Average, just feels like I am reading a paperback without the hasle of holding it open. I can hold it or put it wherever I want and I am good to go. Love this thing. Havent read a single book since I got it. Yet, I have bought more books since I got it than I had in my entire life. lol

srboone
04-14-2012, 12:50 AM
But, Mr. Woot....it's not red...

Teriw
04-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Just tried to give ya rep for that squire but I cant. Dang it

srboone
04-14-2012, 12:58 AM
remember, 3 others before doling out more to the same person!:)

tweetygirl0606
04-14-2012, 01:10 AM
I prefer actual books myself..people keep telling me I should have a kindle/nook/whatever, but I'm too old school...as kluzty as I am, I'm not going to spend $70+ only to drop an break it...I do enough poking and prodding on an ipad at work, I don't want to do the same thing to read an online book.:p

Teriw
04-14-2012, 01:11 AM
I know but it only strikes me to do it once in a while and since it tends to be the same few people I usually can't

Teriw
04-14-2012, 01:12 AM
I prefer actual books myself..people keep telling me I should have a kindle/nook/whatever, but I'm too old school...as kluzty as I am, I'm not going to spend $70+ only to drop an break it...I do enough poking and prodding on an ipad at work, I don't want to do the same thing to read an online book.:p

Ipads and ereaders are nothing alike because the screen is so much easier to read on an ereader. no backlight to give ya a headache or anything. Its just like looking at a normal page. also, I dont think I could break mine if I tried...an Ipad on the other hand I'd break on day 2.

Grant Wootton
04-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Just tried to give ya rep for that squire but I cant. Dang it

Gawd ... some people are soooo easy to please !!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Dan Hocker
04-14-2012, 02:48 AM
Ipads and ereaders are nothing alike because the screen is so much easier to read on an ereader. no backlight to give ya a headache or anything. Its just like looking at a normal page. also, I dont think I could break mine if I tried...an Ipad on the other hand I'd break on day 2.

I find the key with the backlight screens is to change the reading colors and brightness. My tablet and phone are set to a black background with white text and when I'm reading on it I've got it set pretty dim. I've never gotten a headache from it. Then again I probably spend 75% of my life looking at a computer or tv screen so it'd never hurt my eyes anyways....

Grant Wootton
04-14-2012, 06:16 AM
But, Mr. Woot....it's not red...

This, Mr Boone, is true, but ... it does come with a manual backup system should the DX fail in its duties :rolleyes:

Downloading with a chisel is a bitch kitty, but :p

peteOcha
04-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I find the key with the backlight screens is to change the reading colors and brightness. My tablet and phone are set to a black background with white text and when I'm reading on it I've got it set pretty dim. I've never gotten a headache from it. Then again I probably spend 75% of my life looking at a computer or tv screen so it'd never hurt my eyes anyways....

I do the same, usually when reading long documents for work. Turn downthe brightness and im good to go.

Teriw
04-14-2012, 06:25 PM

I get migraines and that black with white would kill me.

peteOcha
04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
This, Mr Boone, is true, but ... it does come with a manual backup system should the DX fail in its duties :rolleyes:

Downloading with a chisel is a bitch kitty, but :p

Are those the 16gb cards or the 32gb ones? Hard to tell from that angle...

Grant Wootton
04-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Are those the 16gb cards or the 32gb ones? Hard to tell from that angle...

Come on Peter, my manual backup didn't come with no high falutin' GB's ... no no no ... we're talking state of the art MB's mate, and danged cheap at 1/2 the price !!!!

srboone
04-14-2012, 09:44 PM

I got the deluxe version!

http://hopes-and-dreams.net/img/15commandments.jpg

Grant Wootton
04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
:cool::cool::cool: ... Wow, yours has three screens and a peripheral device :cool::cool::cool:

Dave1442397
04-16-2012, 11:16 AM

Isn't that funny? And to think, 20 years from now people will look at ads for a 1Tb drive for $100 and laugh in amazement that we paid so much for so little!

TerryE
04-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm still in amazement that a 1 Tb drive has hit the consumer market. I still fondly remember my Commodore 64 computer with came with a hard drive that used casette tapes!

th3l0rd
04-16-2012, 08:03 PM
I can remember my first spectrum zx80 with 4k for ram (expanded to 32k!) + cr b/w 10" tv (with spherical tube) and external tape connected to the earphones output... and a piece of tape on the volume so it was not moved around from the right position :)

paperdragon
05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Me, I'm a knuckle dragging caveman, never will go digital. They are soulless, I need the tactile feel of a real book and I am probably addicted to the ethereal fumes from the ink.(grunts and shambles back to cave)

Martin
05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Recently replaced my desktop and the new one came with a 2 TB drive.
I'm still in amazement that a 1 Tb drive has hit the consumer market. I still fondly remember my Commodore 64 computer with came with a hard drive that used casette tapes!

Martin
05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I am learning to enjoy reading books on my phone. Of course I am soulless as well so that part is not a problem for me.
Me, I'm a knuckle dragging caveman, never will go digital. They are soulless, I need the tactile feel of a real book and I am probably addicted to the ethereal fumes from the ink.(grunts and shambles back to cave)

Dan Hocker
05-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Yea I'm a bit of a souless computer nut myself. I think I've built 4 computers and rebuilt another one.

Martin
05-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I used to build my desktops, the last have been off the shelf purchases since you can no longer get the parts for the price of a new desktop.
Yea I'm a bit of a souless computer nut myself. I think I've built 4 computers and rebuilt another one.

Dan Hocker
05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I used to build my desktops, the last have been off the shelf purchases since you can no longer get the parts for the price of a new desktop.

I just slowly upgrade the current one. I think a year or two ago I baisically overhauled it swapping out the motherboard and processor.

paperdragon
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love technology and the latest and brightest electronic thingy. Only in this one area am I not interested in going there.

srboone
05-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Long live the PRINTED word, brother!

peteOcha
05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Long live the PRINTED word, brother!

Word! :)

Ben Staad
05-04-2012, 01:40 AM
F the e-readers! I was momentarily swayed but I've since scraped the whole thing!

Grant Wootton
05-04-2012, 01:51 AM
F the e-readers! I was momentarily swayed but I've since scraped the whole thing!

Yeah --- Like he said !!!!!