PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower: The Wind Through The Keyhole - DMG Limited Editions in 2012

frik51
05-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I just received the latest DMG newsletter. The Wind Through the Keyhole will be published in the spring of 2012, to be illustrated by Jae Lee.
That's the good news!!
800 Copies will be signed by King. Ouch - that's the bad news. This will leave many people without a copy. I do hope Grant will allow first come, first serve....
Btw, there will be an artist edition as well, signed by Lee.

I am happy about this - sort of.....:confused:

sk

Brian James Freeman
05-09-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm still wowed by the fact that there will be another Dark Tower book. That's so cool! :)

Brian

Dan Hocker
05-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Pulled this off of Donald M. Grant's website. Looks like those who had numbers 1-800 of LSOE will get first dibs on the limited of The Wind Through the Keyhole.

COMING IN 2012

THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE by

STEPHEN KING

We are not taking orders at this time, do not have prices and have not set a release date. Please do not call or email us asking for more information than is posted here. Updates will be announced in future issues of our newsletter and also posted here. We also advise you to sign up for Stephen King's newsletter at stephenking.com.

Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. will, in the Spring of 2012 be publishing limited editions of this new Dark Tower novel by Stephen King which will be illustrated by Jae Lee.

Stephen King has agreed to sign 800 copies of a Deluxe Edition which will be issued in a tray case. These will also be signed by Jae Lee. In keeping with our policies of supporting long time customers, owners of Deluxe Edition copies of THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA numbered 1-800 will have the first option to buy this Deluxe Edition.

In addition there will be a limited “Artist” Edition which will be signed by Jae Lee and will be issued in a slipcase.

bsaenz24
05-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Looking forward to an artist edition!!!

Patrick
05-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Welcome to issue #71 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

9 May 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE

Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. will, in Spring of 2012, be
publishing limited editions of this new Dark Tower novel by
Stephen King which will be illustrated by Jae Lee.

We are not taking orders at this time, do not have prices and
have not set a release date. Please do not call or email us asking
for more information than is in this newsletter. Updates will be
announced in future issues of this newsletter. We also advise you
to sign up for Stephen King’s newsletter at stephenking.com.

Stephen King has agreed to sign 800 copies of a Deluxe Edition
which will be issued in a tray case. These will also be signed by
Jae Lee. In keeping with our policies of supporting long time
customers, owners of Deluxe Edition copies of THE LITTLE
SISTERS OF ELURIA numbered 1-800 will have the first option
to buy this Deluxe Edition.

In addition there will be a limited “Artist” Edition which will be
signed by Jae Lee and will be issued in a slipcase.

When more information is available we will let you know
through this newsletter and we will also post it at:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk.html

Thank you.

Robert K. Wiener, President
Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.

I am so freaking excited about this.

Patrick
05-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Oops. Before seeing this thread, I just started one in the "Other Publishers Books" subforum of the "Book Projects" forum.

Sorry about that. Feel free to merge at will, Mods.

frik51
05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
My DT number was/is 1009 and I was so hoping for another signed/limited.
Of course there's always the secundary market, but I'll be paying through the nose....

sk

Brian James Freeman
05-11-2011, 05:21 AM
My DT number was/is 1009 and I was so hoping for another signed/limited.
Of course there's always the secundary market, but I'll be paying through the nose....

sk

Who knows, you could get lucky and be able to buy one from the publisher in the end. I bet there will be some collectors in the 1 to 800 range who just don't buy for whatever reason -- the economy, etc. Their loss could be your gain!

Brian

frik51
05-11-2011, 12:00 PM
You may be right, Brian.
Maybe there will be a lottery for the unclaimed books.
Of course, there's always the AE, but the S/L will just have to join the other DT S/Ls.
The Gunslinger is the only one missing....so far...

sk

divemaster
05-13-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm excited! Wizard & Glass was my favorite DT book, so I'm really looking forward to this one. Plus, I have #464, so I'm good for the S/L. :)

Brian James Freeman
05-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm excited! Wizard & Glass was my favorite DT book, so I'm really looking forward to this one. Plus, I have #474, so I'm good for the S/L. :)

I was in high school when W&G came out. I had read my mom's Plume trade paperbacks of the previous books, of course. I was working at a Waldenbooks and we received 5 copies of the Grant edition of W&G -- I had never seen a book like it before and I was instantly hooked on the small press! :)

Brian

frik51
05-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm excited! Wizard & Glass was my favorite DT book

And mine.
King hit just the right note: a harrowing love story, amazing set-pieces, great action.
Some of his best story-telling ever.

sk

Martin
05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Will this be King's last Dark Tower book? Can he really leave this world behind? If he does not write another Dark Tower book will other works continue to contain Dark Tower elements?

RJK1981
05-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm hoping it is not the last book that has something to do with this world he has created. I for one miss those characters and will greatly enjoy having a new story to read with them. I might have to start reading the series again from the start and read this new one in between 4 and 5. We'll see though, as I have lots of books still to be read

Aceprincess
05-17-2011, 12:04 AM
I hope to buy one but my number is 944 so I will have to wait and see if any of them become available......

Justin Case
05-21-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm still wowed by the fact that there will be another Dark Tower book. That's so cool! :)

Brian

Me too! This is cause for celebration. I can't wait and wonder if there will be yet more DT books going forward... I wouldn't be surprised and I'm sure they'd all be good.

theenormityofitall
05-22-2011, 09:16 PM
I'll be able to buy it since I bought Little Sisters of Eluria...number 544. I just got lucky and won it in a lottery.

frik51
05-23-2011, 05:13 AM
I'll be able to buy it since I bought Little Sisters of Eluria...number 544. I just got lucky and won it in a lottery.

Congratulations!!
I'm sooooooo jealous!

sk

Dave1442397
05-26-2011, 03:02 PM
I can't remember which edition of Little Sisters of Eluria I own. i guess I better check it soon!

I saw a copy of The Gunslinger 1st edition for sale in Bergenfield NJ back in 1985. If I remember correctly they wanted $150 for it at the time, and that was way too much for a broke college student. The Bergenfield library also had a copy, and I have a good idea who stole it (not me).

frik51
05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm still trying to find me an affordable numbered Gunslinger: impossible!

sk

bsaenz24
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Since my DT are offsite right now, does anyone here recall if the artist copies of the DT books from Grant were numbered?

frik51
05-27-2011, 04:13 AM
No, they were not.

sk

fleggett
05-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Err, yes, they were. I have matching numbers of both the limited & artist editions of LSoE (#657). The artist volume comes with a tipped-in sheet signed by Whelan & hand-numbered.

I don't know about the previous books, as I don't own those. I obtained 657 through the lottery.

frik51
05-29-2011, 05:21 AM
Err, yes, they were. I have matching numbers of both the limited & artist editions of LSoE (#657). The artist volume comes with a tipped-in sheet signed by Whelan & hand-numbered.

That is strange -mine are not numbered.
It just says that it's part of a limited series of...and is signed by the artist.
No number to be seen anywhere.

thoughts, anyone?

sk

fleggett
05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
That is strange -mine are not numbered.
It just says that it's part of a limited series of...and is signed by the artist.
No number to be seen anywhere.

That is very odd. We're talking about TLSoE, right? Can you post a pic of your limitation page? I'll do the same when I can dig up a camera.

frik51
05-29-2011, 08:17 PM
does anyone here recall if the artist copies of the DT books from Grant were numbered?

That is very odd. We're talking about TLSoE, right? Can you post a pic of your limitation page? I'll do the same when I can dig up a camera.

Mystery solved.
See top quote, to which I was responding.
My DT artist editions are not numbered, my LSoE edition is.

sk

ozmosis7
06-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Nice. Look forward to this one.

theenormityofitall
06-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Congratulations!!
I'm sooooooo jealous!

sk

LOL yeah. Let's just hope I'm not broke when it comes around....that's how I missed out on the limited of FDNS and had to get the Gift version instead.
But about this book possible being the last of the DT series..as I've said here, King has said book seven was the last and that was the end of it. I'm guessing there will be a 9th, 10th, 11th, probably even a 60th :)

frik51
06-27-2011, 06:11 AM
I think you're right!

sk

bsaenz24
06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Has anyone heard about the length of the new DT book?

Tito_Villa
06-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I heard somewhere that it wasn't as long as 3-7 but longer than 'The Gunslinger'

frik51
06-27-2011, 02:27 PM
That's what I heard.
Also, it's a stand-alone novel. I'm glad, as I don't have to re-read the first four novels.

sk

Tito_Villa
06-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Yes i love the books but i have so much more that i have never read before!

theenormityofitall
06-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Man. I better start reading some of these books. Oh, and I was wrong again Frik. I not only haven't read The Tommyknockers (is it worth reading?), but I saw you brought up Bage of Bones on this site and remembered that book was in my "stack" of books I haven't read yet..mostly non-fiction but a couple novels. And you also said it was one of the best he's ever written. Maybe I'll read that one then have to start on the DT ones. But I don't know if I can get through such big books like that without losing interest..I might be able to read the first two, then it'll take me another five years to finish the rest, and by that time, the 20th or 30th DT book will have been published.

RJK1981
06-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I would recommend Bag of Bones over Tommyknockers. I enjoyed both, but I can see interest being lost with Tommyknockers with how long it is, and I wouldn't rank that one as one of his best anyway. Bag of Bones I would consider one of the best King books I've read though.

frik51
06-29-2011, 07:01 PM
I not only haven't read The Tommyknockers (is it worth reading?), but I saw you brought up Bage of Bones on this site and remembered that book was in my "stack" of books I haven't read yet..mostly non-fiction but a couple novels. And you also said it was one of the best he's ever written. Maybe I'll read that one then have to start on the DT ones.

The Tommyknockers I enjoyed. it's not one of the better novels King has ever written, but it's still an enjoyable tale. Bag of Bones is a definite yes; one of King's best. But that's just my opinion.

sk

theenormityofitall
06-29-2011, 07:23 PM
OK, then, I'll start with Bag of Bones, and then probably move onto the DT novels.

herbertwest
07-03-2011, 12:42 PM
2012 will not come soon enough for that book...

theenormityofitall
07-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah, but it's still an entire year away. I have all of them from Grant except the first; the first one I have is a UK trade paperback I bought in the 90's.
But I also have all of them from the Stephen King Library...can't find most since I keep tons of books in a closet I haven't been in for years. There's so damn many, I can't even walk around inside to find them.

Blu Gilliand
07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
I'll echo previous comments on Bag of Bones. It's actually my favorite King book.

Blu

Brian James Freeman
07-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I'll echo previous comments on Bag of Bones. It's actually my favorite King book.

Blu

I'll echo your echo. :)

Brian

ozmosis7
07-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow. So many love it, and we only listen to it on the road. I'll have to start traveling more. I will say it has picked up significantly. Maybe I'll throw it on while I fix my shower over the next week LOL.

theenormityofitall
07-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Well, since Bag of Bones seems to be liked by everyone, I'm dropping Triage and going to start on Bag.....tonight.

Tito_Villa
07-06-2011, 09:03 AM
I have to admit that BoB is one King book that i have yet to read!

peteOcha
07-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I have to admit that BoB is one King book that i have yet to read!

Same here, but with all these recommendations I'll be sure to give it a read soon.

Tito_Villa
07-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Its been added to my 'to read' list

I'm very torn at the moment, 'The Little Sisters of Eluria' S/L is selling at a premium at the moment and i could sell for double what i paid for it, but if i did i would then have no 'Little Sisters' S/L & no direct route to the 'TWTTK' S/L ...

theenormityofitall
07-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Its been added to my 'to read' list

I'm very torn at the moment, 'The Little Sisters of Eluria' S/L is selling at a premium at the moment and i could sell for double what i paid for it, but if i did i would then have no 'Little Sisters' S/L & no direct route to the 'TWTTK' S/L ...

Same here. But correct me if I'm wrong, even if you sell your copy, Grant still has you down as buying it so they should still give you, like me as well, first shot at buying the new one next year??

Tito_Villa
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Not if the buyer registers the book they have bought off you with Grant!

bsaenz24
07-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Yep. Generally, you must still be the owner, of whichever book they decide allows you purchase of the new one, at the time of the next purchase. Seems fair to me.

theenormityofitall
07-07-2011, 08:24 PM

I didn't even think of that. Must be the painkillers lol.

theenormityofitall
07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Yep. Generally, you must still be the owner, of whichever book they decide allows you purchase of the new one, at the time of the next purchase. Seems fair to me.
I wonder what happens when you sell Desperation like I did? Can the seller register that book with Grant? Or perhaps it's way too old to do that...

Tito_Villa
07-07-2011, 08:56 PM
They can do it i think because Grant keep records, but as they only use the previous limited edition for new releases then it won't be of any real use i don't think

theenormityofitall
07-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks. That's what I was hoping you'd say.

Tito_Villa
07-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Its been given a Feb 2012 release date!

TerryE
07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I got an e-mail from DMG this morning. King has agreed to sign 800 copies of the Deluxe Edition. This is a smaller print run than Little Sisters, so there will be a lottery for people who have #s over 800, but they don't expect to have many copies left over. They have no release date for their editions yet, and also no price, and they are not taking orders yet.

Tito_Villa
07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
My little sisters S/L is in the #300's so i am safe for a S/L of the new book :)

bsaenz24
07-14-2011, 03:50 PM
My little sisters S/L is in the #300's so i am safe for a S/L of the new book :)

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think they have announced which book you need to qualify. Little Sisters would be logical, being the last sold, but who knows.

TerryE
07-14-2011, 04:15 PM
From today's newsletter:

2. Stephen King has agreed to sign only 800 copies of a Deluxe
Edition. In keeping with our policies of supporting long time
customers, owners of Deluxe Edition copies of THE LITTLE
SISTERS OF ELURIA numbered 1-800 will have the first option
to buy this Deluxe Edition.

We will initially have a “postcard lottery” for unclaimed copies
(which we expect to be very few) eligible for those who have a
Deluxe Edition numbered higher than 800.

Tito_Villa
07-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think they have announced which book you need to qualify. Little Sisters would be logical, being the last sold, but who knows.

Yes they have :)

theenormityofitall
07-26-2011, 04:39 AM
And now I hear they moved it up to Febuary? I mean the release. I better start saving up. Anyone know the cost? I hope it's no more than $300 or they can keep 'em.

Tito_Villa
07-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Even if it is more than $300, in my opinion you are best taking the hit & selling it on the secondary market afterwards because there will be pleanty of people who will be missing out!

Martin
07-26-2011, 02:25 PM
CD lists the Scribner version as 336 pages.
Has anyone heard about the length of the new DT book?

theenormityofitall
07-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah, there will be. But people don't seem as interested in King like they used to be. Twenty years ago there would have been tens of thousands of people wanting the limited of this book, now I bet there aren't more than a few thousand.

bsaenz24
07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
I think the problem with expecting a big gain reselling this one is that it's the middle book of a series. If someone is buying this second hand, then they likely don't have much of the rest of the series already in limited edition, so I would not expect people to pay as much of a premium buying this after the fact since they still would not have a complete set.

Dan Hocker
07-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I think the problem with expecting a big gain reselling this one is that it's the middle book of a series. If someone is buying this second hand, then they likely don't have much of the rest of the series already in limited edition, so I would not expect people to pay as much of a premium buying this after the fact since they still would not have a complete set.

You may be right there, but there are a significant amount of people who will not get the chance at this new who have the rest of them. This is due to the print run being much smaller than the other Dark Tower limiteds. Also the fact that the people that bought the limited of LSOE get first crack at it, and a lot of people did not purchase the limited of that even though they have the rest of the series. So you might be surprised on the resale value.

bsaenz24
07-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Good point Dan. I forgot about the lower print run.

theenormityofitall
07-29-2011, 08:02 PM
You may be right there, but there are a significant amount of people who will not get the chance at this new who have the rest of them. This is due to the print run being much smaller than the other Dark Tower limiteds. Also the fact that the people that bought the limited of LSOE get first crack at it, and a lot of people did not purchase the limited of that even though they have the rest of the series. So you might be surprised on the resale value.

It's so odd that I can't even remember buying LSOE. I know I somehow won it in a lottery, but I'm wondering why I didn't get first shot at it in the first place? Having the final three DT books all as limiteds and buying them all through Grant, wasn't enough? I'm still thinking mine will be worth more because of the numbers...911. But I have 544 of LSOE, so Karen at Grant told me I'd get 544 of the new one. I sure hope I have the funds.
But I'll bet anything that David at Betts will have several copies and if people here can't get one, he'll have them probably for only
$75-100 more than the publisher's price. But he tried hard to get me to sell him my copy of LSOE and I almost went for it. I didn't even realize at the time if someone has that book, they can just register it with Grant and there would of went my chance at the new one (and perhaps future King books in the future).

Dan Hocker
07-29-2011, 08:14 PM
It's so odd that I can't even remember buying LSOE. I know I somehow won it in a lottery, but I'm wondering why I didn't get first shot at it in the first place?

That is weird. Maybe you have to have your previous book registered. I'm not sure, your number is low enough that you should have been eligible for first shot at LSOE. Although you should consider yourself lucky that you ended up with a different number of LSOE as if it matched the rest of yours "911" you would not have been eligible for The Wind Through The Keyhole.

theenormityofitall
07-29-2011, 09:19 PM
That is weird. Maybe you have to have your previous book registered. I'm not sure, your number is low enough that you should have been eligible for first shot at LSOE. Although you should consider yourself lucky that you ended up with a different number of LSOE as if it matched the rest of yours "911" you would not have been eligible for The Wind Through The Keyhole.

I actually had to email Grant and it was Karen who told me I won it in a lottery, like I said, I literally can't remember ordering or paying for it probably because so many things have been going on over the past year. In case I didn't mention it already somewhere on here, I'm taking a painkiller for a couple of herniated discs I have from a fall at work so if I repeat myself, you'll know the reason lol. And that's also the only reason I bring the painkiller stuff up (repeating myself, forgetting, etc).
The last book from Grant before LSOU, had to have been the last DT book I got as a limited, so if I have 911 as the number, it wouldn't have mattered because I still could not have first shot at King's new one; it's over 800 (obviously). Wasn't there only 800 of LSOU done? I still haven't taken it out of the shrinkwrap like I said I was going to do. If there's more than 800, then I guess I did get lucky with it being 544, and the only reason I know that, is because it's marked with that number on the wrap. And Karen confirmed I'd get first shot at the new one...how many LSOU were published? Must be more than 800 since Grant said in the ad that they were surprised King only agreed to sign 800....and there would be a lottery for the remaining few that will be left. So all you guys on here be sure to enter it! My copy is gauranteed! I just have to worry about paying for it.
That was a long post :)

theenormityofitall
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM

I just read your post again. My numbers on the last three DT books are all 911, so I couldn't of got first shot at LSOE since there aren't many being publlished; it was only because I had 544 of LSOU that I get first crack at the new one. But again, I can't remember entering any type of lottery for that book (when was it even published??). And I still don't know how many were published...I'm thinking it must be 900 since Grant said there will be a few left. Maybe I should just open it and look lol.

Tito_Villa
11-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Massive thanks to Karen & Robert at Grant Books who showed me around. The new book looks to be coming on really well & they showed me the cover artwork which is stunning! I'm very impressed with the artwork that he has sent through. Really looking forward to this!!!

bsaenz24
11-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I wish they would take orders already considering it's coming out in Feb.

frik51
11-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Massive thanks to Karen & Robert at Grant Books who showed me around. The new book looks to be coming on really well & they showed me the cover artwork which is stunning! I'm very impressed with the artwork that he has sent through.

Thanks for the update, Tom. Much appreciated!!

sk

Patrick
11-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Tom, I'm happy for you and jealous of you.

I'm glad they're not taking orders yet. I need my wallet to get through the holidays before I package it up and send it to DMG.

theenormityofitall
11-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Yeah, they should. I contacted Karen and she didn't even reply if I could pay by check. I'm starting to sour on Grant as well, especially all the crap I bought from them over the years and she doesn't even have the courtesy to reply.
I wish I had some idea of how much this thing will cost...$300-400. If it was fair, it would be about $250 or so.

Tito_Villa
11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
To be fair if you could see the ammount of work that a 2 person team (one part-time) has to do you might realise why an e-mail might go missing every once in a while. E-mail her again and i'm sure you will get a response!

Patrick
11-23-2011, 10:34 PM
DMG's website says it's standard policy is:

"If you would like to pay by check or money order then please: leave the Credit Card information blank, print this page [Shopping Cart order page], mail with payment."

DMG doesn't play games with payment methods, so I'm sure they'll have this option in place when TWITKH ordering is finally open.

theenormityofitall
11-25-2011, 05:25 AM
To be fair if you could see the ammount of work that a 2 person team (one part-time) has to do you might realise why an e-mail might go missing every once in a while. E-mail her again and i'm sure you will get a response!
I did the same night I posted my last message here and still no response. You may so, oh, it's so close to Thanksgiving and maybe they took off early. If so, then they should have an automated response to say so. And I'm sure my original message didn't go unnoticed. It really pisses me off.

theenormityofitall
11-25-2011, 05:32 AM
DMG's website says it's standard policy is:

"If you would like to pay by check or money order then please: leave the Credit Card information blank, print this page [Shopping Cart order page], mail with payment."

DMG doesn't play games with payment methods, so I'm sure they'll have this option in place when TWITKH ordering is finally open.

They still should have the common courtesy to reply. They think because they get King to do some work for them once in awhile they can treat customers anyway they wish. That maybe true with others but not me, especially like I said above, someone who has spent thousands of dollars on their damn books. And I know several small press shops that hate Grant because of that. I know one in particular who has done several signed King books who told me he'd never do business with them.
If I continue to buy some King books, I'd rather pay an extra 50 bucks from Betts to get the same book. Their policies are both incredibly stupid and incredibly arrogant.
And if I sound really pissed off it's because I am. I would just like some people here who have never done business with them to know how they treat their customers.

Tito_Villa
11-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Well i have never had any problems with Grant, none at all.

srboone
11-25-2011, 01:57 PM
I've only ordered from them twice and other than the week-long wait for them to process my order, I've been satisfied with them. Of course, I've never been involved with them when trying to get a first printing of one of their books.

theenormityofitall
11-26-2011, 05:25 AM
The main problem I have is their refusal to answer my emails....I even said it's really important Karen, please reply. Nothing. Just that alone would piss me off, but also them knowing I bought so many thousands of dollars worth of their stuff just really enrages me.

Patrick
11-26-2011, 07:57 AM
I've never had any issues with DMG. All the announcements in their newsletters and website have a plea not to ask them questions about the book (probably so that they don't get buried in them), but still, I'm sorry to hear you're not getting a direct answer to your email.

One thing I like about Grant is that they won't make us pay a year or so in advance. I don't mind prepaying for orders, yet I find it refreshing that Grant waits until the product is complete (or very near complete) before taking anyone's money.

In any case, they have a provision for taking checks for general orders, as mentioned above, and if it helps, they did take checks when they released the last book in this series, the LSOE S/L and AE.

Good luck!

theenormityofitall
11-27-2011, 02:26 AM
One thing I like about Grant is that they won't make us pay a year or so in advance. I don't mind prepaying for orders, yet I find it refreshing that Grant waits until the product is complete (or very near complete) before taking anyone's money.

That's what I really like too about them, but that's about it.

But you do think they'll accept a check for the upcoming DT book?? That's really important since I don't have the funds in most of my credit cards anymore thanks to buying so many other books and watches as well as postage and fees from stuff I sell on ebay. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't accept a check? But if they do, I think that's it for me. I'll buy that book, but nothing else from them again.

And thanks for the information and just for replying, I appreciate it.

Patrick
11-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Happy to assist. Yes, I'm sure they'll take checks. They take them in general, and they took them for LSOE (I dug up the old DMG emails last night to confirm). This is pretty much a carbon copy of the LSOE process, so there is no reason for them to suddenly change tactics. They really do try to accommodate people's preferred payment methods.

theenormityofitall
11-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Happy to assist. Yes, I'm sure they'll take checks. They take them in general, and they took them for LSOE (I dug up the old DMG emails last night to confirm). This is pretty much a carbon copy of the LSOE process, so there is no reason for them to suddenly change tactics. They really do try to accommodate people's preferred payment methods.

Yeah, I actually received an email from Karen today, but I said what would happen if the check gets lost in the mail? Would I have the opportunity to send another? She wouldn't even address that, which again, pisses me off. Here's the actual message:

Scott,

We have no information regarding payments that I can provide you at this time.

We do accept checks, but if it gets lost in the mail, we have no control over that.

Sincerely,

Karen

Acting like I'm a complete moron saying we have no control over checks getting lost in the mail. No shit?? Wow I didn't know that!
LOL. But it's the sarcasm I don't appreciate either. When I do it on here, I'm just kidding around but she's not. And I don't understand why they act like this book is some type of enormously important national secret. Christ, it's just a signed book. Oh well.

RJK1981
11-29-2011, 04:34 AM
I'm not sure I see sarcasm in that message from her, but I do agree it would have been nice to answer if you'd be able to send another. Also don't see the point in saying they had no control over a check being lost in the mail. I'd be pretty annoyed as well in your position

One way to decrease any chance of it being lost would be to send it Certified Mail at a post office, though I'm sure you already knew. More expensive that way though, little under $3 here for that service.

theenormityofitall
11-29-2011, 04:56 AM
I'm not sure I see sarcasm in that message from her, but I do agree it would have been nice to answer if you'd be able to send another. Also don't see the point in saying they had no control over a check being lost in the mail. I'd be pretty annoyed as well in your position

One way to decrease any chance of it being lost would be to send it Certified Mail at a post office, though I'm sure you already knew. More expensive that way though, little under $3 here for that service.

Yeah, that's what I'll probably end up doing...sending it certified. But I still might just forget about Grant because of the way they treat people like me who have spent so much on their damn books. If I do get this one, it'll be my last from them. And afterwards, I'll send an email telling why it will be my last; someone else can register the next book they put out by King as I already have more than enough. Funny, I used to be a big fan of theirs but that's defintely over with.

Patrick
11-30-2011, 08:02 AM
I think DMG would be reasonable in terms of giving you a chance to send a replacement check, but I think they'd rather address the issue if and when it comes up rather than starting to issue blanket statements in advance. That aside though, I agree with the concept of sending actual checks by certified mail. I always do that on the rare occasion I pay for a book by mailing a check. For my own peace of mind.

theenormityofitall
12-01-2011, 05:53 PM
You know, I can't remember ever sending a letter by certified mail. I know I must have, but just can't recall it. But by that email I posted above, it sure doesn't sound like I'd get a second chance. I am defintely sending it certified as I know have a criminal investigation going on for involving some scum at the post office once again swiping one of the watches I sold on ebay. It was my most expensive sell ever too, a $2600 TAG Heuer Swiss watch.

Patrick
12-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Certified mail (or the smallest folded-letter-size priority envelope) costs a couple bucks, but it's worth the peace of mind.

That sucks about the expensive watch. Yikes.

theenormityofitall
12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, it sure does. It's a big mess and either way, I'm out the watch and all that money I have to refund.

Anyway, I will make sure I send it certified, but the way things are going, I may not be able to afford it.

theenormityofitall
12-04-2011, 05:32 PM
But even if it's the middle of a series, both fanatical King fans and the general King fan, want his limited editions, period. I don't think it matters if they only have the limiteds of Black House or the limiteds of DT 5-7 and Little Sisters (like I do).
They're valuable on their own. Besides, even if there are guys who insist on having all the limiteds, chances are they'll be missing some and I'll have the ones they want. The only problem is trying to figure out how to let those guys know I have what they want lol.

Tito_Villa
12-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Welcome to issue #75 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

19 December 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE
1. WEB ORDER PAGE
2. DEPOSIT/INSTALLMENT OPTION
3. ARTIST EDITION
4. DELUXE EDITION
5. SCRIBNER TRADE EDITION
6. TRADE EDITION SLIPCASE
7. PRINTED FLYER
8. ORDER CONFIRMATION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE

1. WEB ORDER PAGE

We are now accepting advance orders for both the Deluxe and
Artist Editions of THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH
THE KEYHOLE at:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk.html

Please read the rest of this Newsletter before placing your order.

2. DEPOSIT/INSTALLMENT OPTION

Because of the state of the economy if your order totals over
$300 we are willing to accept a 1/3 deposit with your order, 1/3
a month later the final 1/3 will be charged when the order is
shipped. If you wish to send checks you may send three post--
dated checks. For foreign orders we will put the full shipping
amount in the final charge.

3. ARTIST EDITION

There is a 5,000 copy Artist Edition signed by Jae Lee and issued
in a stamped slipcase. Retail price is $75.00 plus shipping.
Unlike the Artist Editions of the DARK TOWER 5, 6 & 7 there is
no limitation on who may buy this edition.

4. DELUXE EDITION

Stephen King has agreed to sign only 800 copies of a Deluxe
Edition which is also signed by Jae Lee and issued in a stamped
clamshell tray case. Retail price is $350.00 plus shipping.

As usual there is a much greater demand for our Deluxe Editions
than copies available, so in keeping with our policy of supporting
our long time customers, the S&N Deluxe Edition can be ordered
only by those who have a S&N THE LITTLE SISTERS OF
ELURIA below # 801 (you must still own it when we ship THE
WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE or your order will be can-
celled and any depost/payment refunded and the Deluxe Edition
sold to the new owner.).

We will then do a lottery drawing approximately six weeks after
the Deluxe Editions are shipped for remaining available copies
but as we expect there to be very few copies available the lottery
will be restricted to owners of Numbered THE LITTLE SISTERS
OF ELURIA between 801 and 1,250.

LOTTERY: Send us a POSTCARD (NOT an email or letter)
which reads:

“Please put me in the lottery to purchase a copy of the signed &
numbered Deluxe The WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. I
have # ____ of THE Little Sisters of Eluria.” Include
your name, address, phone number, and if you wish, email
address.

REMEMBER, only send in ONE post card per copy of The
Little Sisters of Eluria that you have. If we receive
more than one request from anyone we will throw them ALL
away. We want everyone to have an equal chance.

5. SCRIBNER TRADE EDITION

Scribner has announced their release of a trade hardcover
edition of THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE
KEYHOLE on April 24, 2012.

6. TRADE EDITION SLIPCASE

We will be producing a slipcase for the Scribner Trade Edition
which will match the three slipcases we produced for the first
seven Dark Tower books:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-slipcases.html

This will not be shipped until 6-8 weeks after the Trade Edition
is released so that we can be sure it will fit properly. Cost is
$30.00.

7. PRINTED FLYER

We are doing our usual full-color printed flyer but felt it made
more sense to mail it in January rather than just before
Christmas.

8. ORDER CONFIRMATION

If you send a check and the check is cashed we have received
your order. If you sent an order via our website you will receive
as confirmation an email titled “RE WWW Form Submission”. As
we expect to receive 1,500 or more email orders within 24 hours
of sending this Newsletter you may not receive your confirma-
tion for several weeks. If you call or email us this will only delay
getting orders ready.

We have a small staff and will be hiring extra help but it will take
time to process orders, especially for people expecting a specific
numbered copy. We appreciate your patience.

Please do not call or email us for further details as we will just
refer you to our web site and suggest you remain subscribed to
our email newsletter.

We will send out another Newsletter when we know when ship-
ping will begin.

Thank you.

Robert K. Wiener, President
Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.

Tito_Villa
12-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I've ordered a S/L and the artist edition, love the cover and artwork shown, can't wait to read the new stuff from mid-world!

bsaenz24
12-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Great. I need to be spending more now!!!

Dave1442397
12-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Yep, just ordered my copy of The Wind Through the Keyhole - Artist Edition. I don't qualify for the numbered one.

Dave1442397
12-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Got the artist edition, which is all I qualify for. That's ok, as my DT series is all just Grant artist or trade editions anyway.

theenormityofitall
12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm about to order the signed/limited but I sure hope they don't come up with another one for awhile. A total of almost $400???
Waaaaay too much. Does anyone now if King will do more DT books? I figured I had no choice but to get one not only because I was lucky enough to win the lottery, but because I already have 4 signed /limited of the DT books. How can I pass that up? But the good thing is there's only 800 copies being made.

But do any of you guys know how long I have to order it? A week or more? Plus, I read the people who have numbers above 800 I think it is of Little Sisters...will be the only ones allowed to enter the lottery for this book. Kinda odd.

Patrick
12-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I ordered my S/L's and an Artist Edition. I would have ordered two AE's but since they're unnumbered, I'll probably order another one at a later date.

Personally I'm good with the pricing levels they've chosen. Given the popularity of the Dark Tower series and the relatively low number of S/L's, the $350 asking pricing could have been a lot higher -and they would have gotten it.

In regards to the lottery, I doubt that many copies will go unsold in the intial offering. I think it's fair of DMG to allow the owners of LSOE > 801 to have the first shot at the extra copies.

Patrick
12-19-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm excited about this book's imminent release.

Should this thread be merged with the like thread in the Other Publishers forum? Maybe that one should be moved to this forum?

Dan Hocker
12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm excited about this book's imminent release.

Should this thread be merged with the like thread in the Other Publishers forum? Maybe that one should be moved to this forum?

Good call.

srboone
12-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm not eligible for a deluxe edition, and there are 5,000 artists editions, so I think I'll wait for my resources to build up again.

th3l0rd
12-20-2011, 05:39 AM
got the AE. Unfortunately I have no LSoE<801 ::(

Tito_Villa
12-20-2011, 09:01 AM
yeah i thought 5000 AE's is a lot, but then if you take into accont the fact that this is a new story and coming out around 2 months before the trade edition!

srboone
12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
By the time Grant gets around to charging the card, I'll have the funds, so I went ahead and pre-ordered the AE.

srboone
12-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I wasn't blown away by the sample provided, but I'm sure it gets better.

jhanic
12-20-2011, 11:57 AM
It's a GREAT story.

John

srboone
12-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Let me guess, John...you got an arc for this one, right?:)

Tito_Villa
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
John where have you gotten a copy to read??? I held the book but wasn't allowed to take it lol

Patrick
12-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Maybe he was a proofreader.

John, since you have read the story: Without giving spoilers, do you feel the cover design of this Dark Tower book's DMG edition is appropriate for the story within?

theenormityofitall
12-21-2011, 06:29 AM
In regards to the lottery, I doubt that many copies will go unsold in the intial offering. I think it's fair of DMG to allow the owners of LSOE > 801 to have the first shot at the extra copies.

I thought it was odd at first, but it does seem more than fair thinking about it now.

$350 isn't bad but it's still a helluva lot of money. I'd like to get the A/E also but don't have the funds. I have the Little Sisters one, but can't afford anymore at this point but I'm sure it will be around for a very long tme to come.

Tito_Villa
12-21-2011, 08:22 AM
That's true, but it makes sense for me to get them at the same time to save on shipping to the UK

srboone
12-21-2011, 09:41 AM

John, since you have read the story: Without giving spoilers, do you feel the cover design of this Dark Tower book's DMG edition is appropriate for the story within?

Great question, Patrick. I was thinking the same thing.:confused:

Brian James Freeman
12-21-2011, 06:06 PM

It certainly depicts one of the most important scenes in the book. :)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
12-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey gang, have we already seen this artwork before? I just noticed it over on SK's site:

http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/wind_through_the_keyhole_full.jpg

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_through_the_keyhole/promo_site/

srboone
12-22-2011, 07:32 PM
That's for the trade hardcover coming out in April isn't?

Brian James Freeman
12-22-2011, 07:54 PM
That's for the trade hardcover coming out in April isn't?

Yep! From the reactions on other boards, it looks like it was JUST posted. See the complete artwork here:

Brian

srboone
12-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Absolutly stunning; Make the trade HC worth getting as well.

theenormityofitall
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Absolutly stunning; Make the trade HC worth getting as well.

Yep. I always try to get as many editions as possible when Grant publishes a book. They're all awesome looking no matter who the author is. But since I had the limiteds of 5-7, I must have forgot about the trades of 6 and 7 for some reason. Can't find them anywhere. To make matters even worse, the SK Library started making books that look exactly like the real thing from the actual publisher. I can't tell the difference. I even have some SK Library editions with the price on the DJ and I didn't think they were allowed to do that? How, in the name of God, are you supposed to tell the difference???

theenormityofitall
12-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Yep! From the reactions on other boards, it looks like it was JUST posted. See the complete artwork here:

Brian

WOW!!!! That really is stunning. Damn I'd like to have that stuff framed.

RJK1981
12-22-2011, 09:33 PM
But since I had the limiteds of 5-7, I must have forgot about the trades of 6 and 7 for some reason. Can't find them anywhere. To make matters even worse, the SK Library started making books that look exactly like the real thing from the actual publisher. I can't tell the difference. I even have some SK Library editions with the price on the DJ and I didn't think they were allowed to do that? How, in the name of God, are you supposed to tell the difference???

Do you have any Half Price Books in your area that you can search? If not, you can search for books on eBay. I routinely look at Stephen King hardcovers at my local HPB locations to replace my PB editions. I always look for number lines indicating 1st edition 1st printing. What I find odd is that the SK Library editions cost $10 at HPB, which I thought was the price you pay through SK Library. Unless it says SK Library edition (which I have only see 1 or 2 times ever I think) I don't know how to tell the difference

Patrick
12-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I really like that trade edition cover artwork!

theenormityofitall
12-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Do you have any Half Price Books in your area that you can search? If not, you can search for books on eBay. I routinely look at Stephen King hardcovers at my local HPB locations to replace my PB editions. I always look for number lines indicating 1st edition 1st printing. What I find odd is that the SK Library editions cost $10 at HPB, which I thought was the price you pay through SK Library. Unless it says SK Library edition (which I have only see 1 or 2 times ever I think) I don't know how to tell the difference
Naw, I never heard of Half Priced Books. It seems most bookstores have gone out of business because of those damn E-readers and the internet. How I miss the 80's!!!

10 bucks? For their calendars, they charge $22.95 I think it is, and $18.98 or so for "regular" books. Plus shipping. It used to be $14.98 or so. But hell, it's infrequent I receive books from them nowadays because I've been a member so long and have received every book King has ever published (except for one I think it is). A couple weeks ago I got the 11/22/63 book and it's impossible to distinguish it from the regular edition. Mine has a price on the DJ and again, I don't know why or how they're allowed to do that. What happens if I sell a Grant trade edition claiming it's the real thing (like expensive 4th one) and the buyer gets my book club edition lol? I'll have to figure it all out someday on my own because they won't even reply to emails you send them, even for very long term members like me, which of course, greatly pisses me off.

Once again, this was way too long of a post, but can you or someone who see this tell me why exactly DT IV is worth so much?? I thought the same amount of copies were printed for each trade edition after the first two? I don't get it.

Forgot this: they did indeed used to say "Stephen King Library" but they quit that years ago, just like BOMC and the HBC as well.

RJK1981
12-23-2011, 04:20 AM
Oops, I think it is actually BOMC that I have seen once or twice on books and see a lot of at Half Price Books, not the SK Library. You could go to their website and see if you have any nearby, they just sell used book, but most are in very nice shape. The one closest to me has had the same hardcover copy of Lansdale's Lost Echoes that has a bunch of water damage that they still want too much money for (anything above $1 is too much for a book in that condition).

RJK1981
12-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Oh, and I also am curious why DT IV is worth so much. Have no idea whatsoever about that one

theenormityofitall
12-23-2011, 05:59 AM
Oh, and I also am curious why DT IV is worth so much. Have no idea whatsoever about that one

I think BOMC owns SKL and HBC.
But I have the 4th DT book, I wish too I knew why it was worth so much.
Somebody here must know??

Tito_Villa
12-23-2011, 11:13 AM
DT IV had a lower print run than II and III

Patrick
12-23-2011, 06:47 PM
DT IV is also one of the most popular books of the series, so greater demand. Most people seem to love DTI and/or DTIV the most.

theenormityofitall
12-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys, now I know why. But it's odd they'd lower the print run for the fourth book.

Patrick
12-27-2011, 06:23 PM
My guess is that at the time it was a matter of how quickly the books were selling prior to the production of that one.

RJK1981
12-30-2011, 06:56 AM
Oh, looks like I forgot to comment on the cover art for this one. I must say that I am not a fan of the cover for the Grant edition. Not that the art is bad, but just that it really does not fit with the book series. Looks more suited to a comic book/graphic novel than as a Dark Tower (or Stephen King in general) novel's cover art. Scribner's cover art on the other hand, I really like. Also don't like the font used on the Grant edition

theenormityofitall
12-31-2011, 05:36 AM
Oh, looks like I forgot to comment on the cover art for this one. I must say that I am not a fan of the cover for the Grant edition. Not that the art is bad, but just that it really does not fit with the book series. Looks more suited to a comic book/graphic novel than as a Dark Tower (or Stephen King in general) novel's cover art. Scribner's cover art on the other hand, I really like. Also don't like the font used on the Grant edition
Yeah, that's true, but what I've seen with Dark Tower 8, it sure looks like it doesn't fit with the others either.
Maybe because this is supposed to be some sort of new beginning? Sorta like the Friday the 13t horror movies????

jigertz
02-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I have a question that hopefully you expert collectors can answer. I passed on the US limited of 11/22/63 because I had already purchased the UK limited. When I look up prices now, the UK limited is selling at or below what I paid for it. I just now ordered a UK limited of The Wind Through the Keyhole because I can't get the limited from Grant. Is it worth another $220, or am I better off just getting an artist edition from Grant?

If only I could just stop buying these completely--I promised myself after I got a lettered IT that I'd never buy another book again. . . .

Brian James Freeman
02-06-2012, 02:36 PM
I have a question that hopefully you expert collectors can answer. I passed on the US limited of 11/22/63 because I had already purchased the UK limited. When I look up prices now, the UK limited is selling at or below what I paid for it. I just now ordered a UK limited of The Wind Through the Keyhole because I can't get the limited from Grant. Is it worth another $220, or am I better off just getting an artist edition from Grant?

If only I could just stop buying these completely--I promised myself after I got a lettered IT that I'd never buy another book again. . . .

Some people worry about the value of the UK limited editions because they have a facsimile signature from King and not a real one, but they are limited to such a low run that I do think they'll be "okay" in the future in terms of value. It just might be a long ways down the road instead of a quick increase like some books (like the Limited Edition of IT).

A lot of people wondered what the point was of buying our unsigned Gift Edition of FROM A BUICK 8 for $75 back in 2002, but if you look at the prices of that edition now, it's done okay for those who are solely investing in their collection.

But in the end, I guess it comes down to whether your collection will miss the book, you know? :)

Brian

Tito_Villa
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Go for the DMG artist edition!!!

Grant Wootton
02-06-2012, 04:46 PM
My collection would miss the book, so facsimile signature or not, it's gonna get added to the collection :p

theenormityofitall
02-07-2012, 02:56 AM
My collection would miss the book, so facsimile signature or not, it's gonna get added to the collection :p

LOL I passed on that one because of the bogus sig. Besides, I already have the true limited (or will have).

Grant Wootton
02-07-2012, 05:47 AM
LOL I passed on that one because of the bogus sig. Besides, I already have the true limited (or will have).

Me too - I just can't help myself tho :cool:

Dave1442397
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM

I based this on what I have at the moment, which is all lower-end Grant editions of the DT books. Like you, I purchased the UK limited of 11/22/63, but in that situation it was the most limited edition I could get my hands on. I think the Grant edition of TWTTK will be a better fit for me than the UK limited, so I passed on it.

Of course, a lot of it depends on your book budget. I spent a lot on books last year, and a lot on gadgets for the home, so I'm trying to be more picky about which limiteds I buy this year.

RJK1981
02-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Lilja has pictures of a lot of the illustrations for this edition of the book. I don't know what everyone else here thinks but I am not a fan of a lot of this art. The art itself is great, no question about that, but it really doesn't seem right to me for a novel. The cover art and now the interior art just seems much more appropriate for graphic novel. If I had the other Grant editions I'd get this one, but I have no limited editions of The Dark Tower books so I find it easy to pass on this one

Tito_Villa
02-23-2012, 01:06 PM
I honestly like it, but i'm waiting to read the book to see if the fit ok with the story!

RJK1981
02-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Well like I said, I like the art itself, just really seems to be made for a graphic novel. Maybe I'll change my mind after I read it though. So far I am really preferring the US trade edition cover

Tito_Villa
02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Well like I said, I like the art itself, just really seems to be made for a graphic novel. Maybe I'll change my mind after I read it though. So far I am really preferring the US trade edition cover

I definitely agree with you that the US trade cover is the best. The limited, US and UK are all different styles but that one just stands out for me!

srboone
02-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Got my edition from Grant today! Pics will be posted in my thread!

Hedda Gabler
02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Okay, I'm waiting. hahaha. I ordered this so curious to see it. What do you think of it?

srboone
02-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Looks pretty good (The cover is different; it's more in tune with the comics.)

Teriw
02-25-2012, 12:18 AM
The artist edition?

srboone
02-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Yes, unnumbered issue of 5000, signed by the artist.. On sale at https://secure.grantbooks.com/. $75.00 plus shipping.

Teriw
02-25-2012, 12:28 AM
C'mon now dont underestimate me I know exactly where to get it. lol. I was wondering if you managed to get the Deluxe, I dont think they starting shipping yet though but I forget because they wouldnt let me order one :'(

srboone
02-25-2012, 12:36 AM
I don't have any of Grants Deluxe DTs, so that was never an issue. Only eligible for the artists ed. anyway.

Grant Wootton
02-25-2012, 01:44 AM
For those of you that may have an extra couple of $$$ lying around gathering dust - there's always this edition of WTTK to have a gander at (needless to say, I was on it like a flash) :cool:

http://www.analectabooks.com/stephen-king--the-wind-through-the-keyhole-uk-signed-first-edition-200.html (http://www.analectabooks.com/stephen-king--the-wind-through-the-keyhole-uk-signed-first-edition-200.html)

srboone
02-25-2012, 02:20 AM
Gorgeous book!

Grant Wootton
02-25-2012, 02:29 AM
Gorgeous book!

Well, figured as how I'll getting the US 1st, UK 1st, Grant S/L, UK facsimile signed, I may as well go totally apeshit and get this too :o

srboone
02-25-2012, 02:47 AM
Maybe if you waited, you could get it remarqued!:rolleyes:

Teriw
02-25-2012, 04:27 AM
so its not a facsimile? am i reading this right?

Teriw
02-25-2012, 04:47 AM
conversion rate is to much anyway $582.98 cad. if i had it i would.

Teriw
02-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Just ordered the Artist Edition. A strategically worded Facebook status lead my boyfriend to confessing he did not order it for me so I went ahead and ordered it myself. Tryna convince him to get me the Dark Tower Artist with the Talisman set for my birthday now instead. lol. Awesome price. I wish DMG was more specific with their international shipping rates. Thought about ordered LSOE at the same time but I really can't right now. But for now lots of orders on the way or not so on the way...lol

srboone
02-25-2012, 06:16 AM
How much did it cost to ship it to Canada?

Teriw
02-25-2012, 06:31 AM
As I said I have no idea, I have to wait and see. Shouldnt be a whole lot more, but they use some shipping company i've never heard of so ya never know.

Grant Wootton
02-25-2012, 06:36 AM
so its not a facsimile? am i reading this right?

One is, the other is flat signed (that's the one that's limited to 200 copies) - and, yep, it costs a bit for sure :o

Grant Wootton
02-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Just ordered the Artist Edition. A strategically worded Facebook status lead my boyfriend to confessing he did not order it for me so I went ahead and ordered it myself. Tryna convince him to get me the Dark Tower Artist with the Talisman set for my birthday now instead. lol. Awesome price. I wish DMG was more specific with their international shipping rates. Thought about ordered LSOE at the same time but I really can't right now. But for now lots of orders on the way or not so on the way...lol

Way to go Teri !!!!! the collection looks after those that look after themselves (or something) :cool:

Teriw
02-25-2012, 06:40 AM
I woulda grabbed it at that price had it been american, it'd be a couple cents difference. but our dolllar its worth .63 cents in GBP...WTF! lol. Wish I coulda got the Grant one...I was looking right at it the day it was posted, with enough money on my CC cursing DMG and their stupid rules.

Grant Wootton
02-25-2012, 06:58 AM
There's always the aftermarket in which to pick on up Teri, at a greatly inflated price to be sure :(

frik51
02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.analectabooks.com/stephen-king--the-wind-through-the-keyhole-uk-signed-first-edition-200.html[/URL]

Now what did I miss, Grant?
I can only find the regular UK facsimile edition here, which I'm sure you had already ordered.

sk

Teriw
02-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Sold out

frik51
02-25-2012, 07:55 PM
But what is sold out?

sk

Grant Wootton
02-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi Siep - The UK WTTK I purchased yesterday (as Teri mentions, the window's now closed - at least on www.analectabooks.com) is described thus (this is extracted from the email I received from Steve Sargent at analecta yesterday):

"Hot news just in - I have secured a small number of a UK hand-signed limited edition copies of Stephen King's "The Wind Through the Keyhole" (the new Dark Tower novel). This edition is limited to just 200 hundred copies, and so will be one of the most limited of King's signed editions (this is just a quarter of the size of the 800-copy DM Grant edition). This book is released on the 24th April - I am accepting pre-orders at this time, on a first-come, first-served basis"

I would imagine that other re-sellers (or Hodder & Stoughton) will be offering this version too :D

Teriw
02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Hodder and Staughton are not advertising it as of yet, at least I can't find it on their website.

frik51
02-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Ah...thanks for the explanation, Grant.

sk

Grant Wootton
02-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Ah...thanks for the explanation, Grant.

sk

De nada Siep, anytime :)

calason
03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I just received my AE Copy of TWTTK and I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the dust jacket. It looks terrible, now the book itself, binding, color, etc, is stunning. I had this same issue with the AE of LSOE. These are really the only books in my collection that, in my opinion, look a million times better without the dust jackets. They look, dare I say, more "classy" without the jacket. And usually it's the other way around. I love the interior artwork on both books and I even like the jacket art, but what is with the terrible fonts Grant is using?

Tito_Villa
03-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I agree and wish more publishers of limited edition books would take the same stance as Centipede Press, leave the front artwork free of any lettering, just have it on the spine!

srboone
03-02-2012, 02:45 PM
It's different, true; but it does depict a key scene in the book. It has a comic book feel to it (indeed, Jae Lee illustrates some of the DT story arcs for marvel). It can be looked upon as an appendix to the DT series (even though it technically is 4.5)--if King plans on writing (and Grant publishing) a series of DT books depicting stories from the Great Book of Eld, this could be a gtreat start.

The fonts did not bother me, since this is essentially a double bookended fairy tale.

bsaenz24
03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
GOt my copy today. Quite a beautiful book.

Teriw
03-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I still didnt even get billed. I'm getting annoyed. lol

Teriw
03-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Ok, I'm not just annoying anymore I'm angry. Not only have that not billed me but when you try to email them to find out whats going on you get a form letter back saying they got your order...I didnt place and order I asked a question. I wish these Artist editions were through CD. At least I'd get an answer out of Mindy.

Maybe theyre just busy shipping the american orders for all I know but it'd be nice to know that rather than sit here wondering if I may have typed my cc number in wrong.

frik51
03-03-2012, 07:11 AM
I still didnt even get billed.

Neither did I.
Patience..patience.....:(

sk

Roseannebarr
03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I am patiently waiting for my book.

jhanic
03-04-2012, 12:48 AM
C'mon now dont underestimate me I know exactly where to get it. lol. I was wondering if you managed to get the Deluxe, I dont think they starting shipping yet though but I forget because they wouldnt let me order one :'(

The good folks at Grant are shipping out the orders for the Artist Editions first, then will be shipping the deluxe editions. I ordered one of each, so I'm still waiting.

John

Teriw
03-04-2012, 01:13 AM
I think I am gonna be waiting for a while, theyre shipping all of their american orders first. I'm hoping this doesnt include the Deluxe editions as well.

Teriw
03-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Got an email saying they finished shipping the Artist editions and now theyre doing to Deluxe. They are about 2 weeks behind in processing new orders which explains me not getting billed yet(although its been more than two weeks). I am hoping they don't wait until the Deluxe are all shipped first though since that will take a while.

Tito_Villa
03-09-2012, 09:38 AM
You have to understand that with a handful of staff they have to have a plan of action so they don't mess up. Theirs is to ship the AE, then the Deluxe, then the AE and Deluxe and finally new orders!

bsaenz24
03-09-2012, 03:13 PM
DOes anyone else find it "wrong" how Donald Grant advertises other books they have for sale on the dust jacket of another one? I just looked at the back of the dj for The Wind Through The Keyhole and of course, they did it again.

srboone
03-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Right, Wrong, what's the difference? Does it make it any less collectible? They did that on The Drawing of the Three also. Just PM me, Brad, and I'll give your copy of TWTTK a good home!;)

bsaenz24
03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I think it's tacky to use the dust jacket, which should be about "that" specific book, as a spot for free advertising. If you want to list "other books bu this author", list it in the front of the book which is standard for trade publishers.

Robert Fulman
03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
It's actually one of my favorite things about Grant's books. You can pick up their old books and see what else they had available at the time (and at what prices*). And while trade publishers might not do it now, they certainly used to do it. I have seen older books that had an entire brochure printed on the reverse of the dust jacket.

People think it's tacky that the Green Monster at Fenway Park has (rather tasteful) advertisements on it, and aren't aware that it isn't a new phenomenon:

* Actually, many of Grant's books are still available on their website, at their original prices.

Brian James Freeman
03-09-2012, 04:18 PM
And while trade publishers might not do it now, they certainly used to do it. I have seen older books that had an entire brochure printed on the reverse of the dust jacket.

Many contracts actually forbid a publisher from doing that these days if the ads are for anything other than the author's own work. Some publishers used to insert ads for anything -- I remember hearing about cigarette ads in paperbacks. :)

Brian

TerryE
03-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Or to put the last two posts together. Many early baseball cards came from cigarette manufacturers, not bubble gum companies.

peteOcha
03-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Many contracts actually forbid a publisher from doing that these days if the ads are for anything other than the author's own work. Some publishers used to insert ads for anything -- I remember hearing about cigarette ads in paperbacks. :)

Brian

Thats scary, i could see that happening on a larger scale one day...

"The struggling paper industry (their words, not mine), in an effort to remain profitable in this ereader era, has decided to include ads in all of your favorite books..."

Teriw
03-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Thats scary, i could see that happening on a larger scale one day...

"The struggling paper industry (their words, not mine), in an effort to remain profitable in this ereader era, has decided to include ads in all of your favorite books..."

That would just stop me from buying the actual book altogether. I only use my ereader to read and only buy books because of the way they look. If they don't look good there'd be no point.

Robert Fulman
03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
One of the signs that the world has moved on is the disappearance of paper...

srboone
03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
But look at the innards of your e-reader and you will find the inscriptions "North Central Positronics, LLC" and "Sombra Corp." Every e-book you buy or read makes Roland's journey a little longer....

Dan Hocker
03-14-2012, 02:31 PM
I use the e-readers to read my books. I'm not above buying the books in both forms though, I've bought all my Terry Brooks Stuff in both formats as well as The Dark Tower Series, and I'm sure I'll do the same with The Wheel of Time when I re-read that before the last book comes out. The is just so easy to pull out my phone and read the next chapter of a book when I have a few spare mine, without having to worry about carrying a monster book with me everywhere I go.

bsaenz24
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
But look at the innards of your e-reader and you will find the inscriptions "North Central Positronics, LLC" and "Sombra Corp." Every e-book you buy or read makes Roland's journey a little longer....

Now that there is funny!!!

Grant Wootton
03-14-2012, 05:10 PM
So, Squire, throw in Limahl, and it would then be a never ending story :confused:

Teriw
03-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Is that not a good thing?

srboone
03-14-2012, 08:21 PM
That e-book readers are evil? Well, to defeat the enemy, you must first be able to recognize it. So I suppose it is...:confused:

Teriw
03-14-2012, 08:23 PM
No...making Rolands journey longer. Sounds like a good thing to me.

srboone
03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Well, King's turn as Gan's voice for Roalnd's journey is over. As for his third journey, it's becoming harder and more difficult.

peteOcha
03-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Well spoken!:)

srboone
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Thankee-sai!

Chadkp
03-16-2012, 05:17 AM
I have just started reading some of Kings work (IT, Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining) and I am interested in getting into a series. I have always heard good things about the Dark Tower series and I am just curious where this book falls in the series, the middle, end or what? Thanks for any info!

Brian James Freeman
03-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I have just started reading some of Kings work (IT, Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining) and I am interested in getting into a series. I have always heard good things about the Dark Tower series and I am just curious where this book falls in the series, the middle, end or what? Thanks for any info!

The Wind Through the Keyhole falls between Book 4 (Wizard and Glass) and Book 5 (Wolves of the Calla). King has called it "The Dark Tower 4.5" in several interviews and that's definitely where the story falls in the timeline.

Brian

Teriw
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
All the Canadian dmg customers got an email today finally asking which shipping method they wanted and the prices. So I emailed them back with what I wanted. Finally good to hear something...now to finish the talisman before it comes.

Did you get anything over your way too siep? I know you've been waiting a while as well.

Tito_Villa
04-03-2012, 07:55 AM
I have heard nothing (i'm in the UK), but i finished reading my trade copy last night and i loved the book. It is filled with wonder, sorrow and beauty, brought a tear to my eye at the end. I really hate to leave the story of Roland!

srboone
04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
But if that book is any indication, Tom, more stories from the Great Book of Eld can be on the horizon!

Tito_Villa
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
But if that book is any indication, Tom, more stories from the Great Book of Eld can be on the horizon!

I really hope so. To be lost in mid-world is one of my favourite pastimes, now i can't wait for my AE to read the book again.

frik51
04-03-2012, 03:50 PM
All the Canadian dmg customers got an email today finally asking which shipping method they wanted and the prices.
Did you get anything over your way too siep? I know you've been waiting a while as well.

Man, I shouldn't have moved back to the old country....If I still would have lived in Vancouver...
In other words, no, still nothing.
Big sighhhhhhhhhhhhh.................

sk

Teriw
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
They still have yet to bill my cc or send shipping notice though. I'm sure they have plenty of Canadian orders to fill so it could be a while yet.

Also to whoever said it, how did you get a trade edition already?

Tito_Villa
04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I spose i am 'whoever' then. I bought it through ebay for around 20

Teriw
04-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Ic. Sorry about the whoever. I wasn't ready typing and going back to see who said it woulda taken to long. Lol.

bookworm 1
04-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Yea the UK trade came out already I believe.Or was it an ARC.Thought I saw on Lijas web site that UK was already out.

Tito_Villa
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Nope the UK trade isn't out until the 24th, i have a feeling it was a bookshop that sold a book early!? There is nothing to sugest that it was a advanced reading copy

bookworm 1
04-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Ah.Wish we had a book shop that sold books early.

peteOcha
04-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I've been able to get video games early, but never books. :(

srboone
04-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I got several movies early and one book I was able to get a week early because it had been shipped early due to strikes and holidays--Dr. Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles by Michael Moorcock.

frik51
04-04-2012, 04:08 AM
We've got a Waterstones in Amsterdam. TWTTK (UK trade) has been for sale there since last week.

sk

bookworm 1
04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
So did you pick up the trade edition there?

frik51
04-04-2012, 03:36 PM
No, I ordered mine through Amazon.co.uk.
I don't mind waiting, as I won't be reading the book for a while anyways.

sk

bookworm 1
04-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I herar that.I get mine from the amazon.Idon't mind the wait.As I have said many times my TBR pile is high and longer then I care to admit.When looking for short story coollections to read for This month I came across 55 that I have not read yet.Hope to decrease that by atleast 10 this month.

Tito_Villa
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Why wouldn't you read it straight away Siep?

frik51
04-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Because of circumstances beyond my control (sounds a lot more serious than it actually is) I never got around to reading King's last four published books. Those I want to read first. After which, TWTTK.

sk

Tito_Villa
04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Honestly if i had the shoice now i would read this straight after Wizard and Glass, just my opinion :)

Teriw
04-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I reread the last section of Wizard and Glass just to give myself a better idea of where exactly it left off. I didn't know I'd be waiting this long to get my AE though.

Teriw
04-20-2012, 12:18 AM
I know this thread is for the DMG edition but I didnt see another TWTTK thread. Anyway, the Kindle edition on amazon cost more than the Trade harcover. How does this make ANY sense?

peteOcha
04-20-2012, 11:46 AM
I seriously don't get some of the ebook pricing. Everyone was going on and on when they were first showing up that they would be cheaper than books in print and so on...

srboone
04-20-2012, 12:00 PM
At the SK event I attended in November, King talked about his frustration with some publishing houses because they had heavy investments in HCs and papberbacks and were thus reluctant to fully embrace the digital future of books; perhaps this is part of the reason a ebook is intially priced higher than the HC. The company wants to make it's money in HCs first.

Brian James Freeman
04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
At the SK event I attended in November, King talked about his frustration with some publishing houses because they had heavy investments in HCs and papberbacks and were thus reluctant to fully embrace the digital future of books; perhaps this is part of the reason a ebook is intially priced higher than the HC. The company wants to make it's money in HCs first.

You're right, that's exactly why the New York publishers often sell their eBooks for $10 and more -- they don't want the eBook sales cutting into their HC sales. So when they price an eBook at $13 or $15, and Amazon discounts the hardcover by 40%, you end up with these weird situations where the HC costs more than the eBook!

TerryE
04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I'd like to see deals like they have w/ DVDs and digital copies. If you buy the HC, then they'd give you a digital version for free, or a greatly reduced cost. I know the publisher and the writer have to make their money, but really, once the electronic formatting is done, the only expense of an e-book is the download (no paper, printing, binding, or shipping).

Teriw
04-20-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd like to see deals like they have w/ DVDs and digital copies. If you buy the HC, then they'd give you a digital version for free, or a greatly reduced cost. I know the publisher and the writer have to make their money, but really, once the electronic formatting is done, the only expense of an e-book is the download (no paper, printing, binding, or shipping).

I agree on the free digital copy. But the publishers Dont and you know what happens? Teri finds ways to get free digital copies on her own. I am not paying twice specially when theres nothing pysical to the digital copy. Pay for the book, support the author(not that SK need it) and get the digital elsewhere

Joe315
04-21-2012, 01:20 AM
I agree on the free digital copy. But the publishers Dont and you know what happens? Teri finds ways to get free digital copies on her own. I am not paying twice specially when theres nothing pysical to the digital copy. Pay for the book, support the author(not that SK need it) and get the digital elsewhere

Me too. I don't want to pay twice either especially for what is essentially nothing.

Dan Hocker
04-21-2012, 01:24 AM
It's probably not the same with the big New York publishers, but you'd be surprised how many sales of an ebook it takes to earn back the creation costs. I think again though the free digital copy is a great idea, it's something we'd like to try at some point, there just hasn't been anything where the cards fell in line to be able to do it yet.

Joe315
04-21-2012, 01:30 AM
How does the creation of an ebook work, can't you take all the formatting done for the print version and save it as an ebook?

Teriw
04-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Should be the gist of it depending on the format of the original. Either way theres not alot of work to it.

Dan Hocker
04-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Should be the gist of it depending on the format of the original. Either way theres not alot of work to it.

I do ebook creation on the side. It's actually a lot more work than you would think there is. I wish it was as easy as taking the work done for the print version and turning it into an ebook. A ebook is essentially just a web page. Where as print versions are much much more complex of files with tons and tons of formatting which doesn't translate into an ebook.

Joe315
04-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Too bad there is no easy save as button.

Dan Hocker
04-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Too bad there is no easy save as button.

We actually tried that. The finished product A. looks awful then and B. reads weird. As regular books are laid out with what called "Facing Pages" So Page one is on the left and page two is on the right. Well the ebooks don't understand that so they will read across the two pages. So it'll go like this, Page 1 Line 1, Page 2 line 2, Page 1 line 2 and so on.

Joe315
04-21-2012, 02:46 AM
That's interesting. Maybe some company will make a better program that can do both.

peteOcha
04-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking this could be solved by a smart program that would format it correctly to begin with and just easily convert the print version into ebook.

bookworm 1
04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
How is it that the ebooks are not cost effective if some authors are doing mostly ebooks.I think about Kealan Patrick Burke and not being able to get his books in print because it is easier for ebooks to be made of his work.I remember asking him about his books comming out in trade and I believe he said it was because of cost.I wonder if print on demand is any better.Or if it muddles things even more.

Dan Hocker
04-22-2012, 02:47 AM
How is it that the ebooks are not cost effective if some authors are doing mostly ebooks.I think about Kealan Patrick Burke and not being able to get his books in print because it is easier for ebooks to be made of his work.I remember asking him about his books comming out in trade and I believe he said it was because of cost.I wonder if print on demand is any better.Or if it muddles things even more.

It's not the ebooks aren't cost effective. Ebooks are much easier for authors to put out on their own without using a publisher. I think that's why you see a lot of authors going that route. Ebooks are also a good way to get a product to more people. As people are more willing to risk $6 on a book they may not like than $15.

Grant Wootton
05-01-2012, 06:19 PM
The Waterstone's Hodder & Stoughton Limited landed yesterday (the link to the pix is below for those that would like a peek) :)

http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?731-Grant-Wootton-Collection/page152

Hi Siep - The UK WTTK I purchased yesterday (as Teri mentions, the window's now closed - at least on www.analectabooks.com (http://www.analectabooks.com)) is described thus (this is extracted from the email I received from Steve Sargent at analecta yesterday):

"Hot news just in - I have secured a small number of a UK hand-signed limited edition copies of Stephen King's "The Wind Through the Keyhole" (the new Dark Tower novel). This edition is limited to just 200 hundred copies, and so will be one of the most limited of King's signed editions (this is just a quarter of the size of the 800-copy DM Grant edition). This book is released on the 24th April - I am accepting pre-orders at this time, on a first-come, first-served basis"

I would imagine that other re-sellers (or Hodder & Stoughton) will be offering this version too :D

SUBLIMINAL
05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Any updates on the CD slipcase for Wind Through the Keyhole?

Thanks in advance

Brian James Freeman
05-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Any updates on the CD slipcase for Wind Through the Keyhole?

Thanks in advance

Probably still looking at 8 to 10 weeks after the publication of the book back on April 24, so I think that's probably putting us in early July. They'll try to push the production through faster if they can, though, and we'll post news of the final shipping date when we have it. Thanks!

Brian

drain74
05-11-2012, 03:11 AM
Has there been any news on the potential lottery for any remaining signed limited copies? I have ordered the artist version, credit card charged and waiting on delivery. I have the signed LSOEbut the number is above 800 and have sent in for the lottery. Just wondering if anyone has heard or were all taken up by owners of 1 - 800?

frik51
05-11-2012, 04:02 AM
I haven't heard anything about the lottery yet. I did send in a postcard, but that's half a year ago.

sk

drain74
05-12-2012, 10:24 AM
The Artist Edition arrived today, packaging was fine and the book in teh slipcase looked great. On removing the book I noticed some marks on the back of the dust jacket that went through to the back cover and left indents. NOT GOOD. Sent DMG an email about so will wait to see what comes of it.

frik51
05-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I hate it when that happens. Hope they'll send you a replacement!

sk

drain74
08-14-2012, 07:04 AM
I hate it when that happens. Hope they'll send you a replacement!

sk

After 3 months from the time I had notified them of problem, during which time there was a single email after two weeks to say they were looking at it, there had been no communication or response. I had given up on any outcome when un-announced a parcel turned up with a replacement copy.

It looked like they had checked that the copy was not also damaged as the shrink-wrap was open to allow access to the book. At least now I have a good copy.

Was there any lottery for un-claimed signed copies carried out?