PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Your Chapbooks

calason
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I have several chapbooks and was wondering what others did to store and protect these.

Dan Hocker
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Someone sent / show'd us pictures of how they stored their chap books. It was a binder, there was some talk about putting together an official CD binder for this, but I don't think it ever got past the talk phase. If there's interest from you guys, I can start the talk again and see what we can come up with.

Dan Hocker
05-09-2011, 09:04 PM
After calson posted a thread about how everyone stores / protects their chapbooks (which is now merged into this thread). It struck up a conversation here about which option is the best. A slipcase or a binder. So we decided to have a poll to see what everyone thinks. Below is an image of a customer's binder in case you weren't sure what we meant by binder.

http://forum.cemeterydance.com/images/chapbind.JPG

Martin
05-09-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a bunch of Chapbooks. I love those little guys. I currently keep them all together on a bookshelf held in place with a bookend. A slipcase would be great!

calason
05-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I like the idea of a binder because it's "expandable," but I like the look of a slipcase more.

calason
05-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Oops, sorry if I missed this...

Dan Hocker
05-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Oops, sorry if I missed this...

You didn't, you inspired it.

Patrick
05-10-2011, 12:05 AM
The poll needs a "none of the above" option.

I keep my chapbooks individually in archival comic book bags, generally accompanied by the archival board.

the_last_gunslinger
05-10-2011, 12:18 AM
I think a binder is the way to go, especially if you can put each chap book in its own separate "comic book" style sleeve.

I actually do this with my Cemetery Dance Magazines, put each one in a plastic sleeve and keep them in a three-ring binder. It works pretty well that way.

Patrick
05-10-2011, 12:32 AM
I do like that binder concept. I might have to get motivated to try it out.

frik51
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't own any chapbooks.
I'm not even sure exactly what they are.

sk

Dan Hocker
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't own any chapbooks.
I'm not even sure exactly what they are.

sk
They are folded stapled "little" books. CD has done a fair number of them as "promotional" items over the years.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/CTGY/chapbooks

tyree
05-10-2011, 02:39 PM
For chapbooks I use semi-thick, see-through plastic you buy at Walmart in rolls for around six bucks. It's used to cover furniture when painting. Cut and fit, folds then tape. Works like a brodart HC protective cover only it's for softbacks. Use it for trades, too. And also, when in a pinch, run out of Mylar or Brodart ? works for the hard-backs too.
Works and looks pretty darned good.

calason
05-10-2011, 03:17 PM
What about a slipcased binder, or a traycase with binder rings? That would satisfy my need for "expandability" and look good whilst doing it.

frik51
05-10-2011, 03:19 PM
They are folded stapled "little" books. CD has done a fair number of them as "promotional" items over the years.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/CTGY/chapbooks

Thanks, Dan.

sk

bsaenz24
05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
If this is specifially for CD chapbooks, I would love to see slipcases with the text of the titles on the slipcase sort of like the slipcases Borderlands Press did for the Little Books. But then again, I don't know if there are enough people who would have all of the CD chapbooks to make that worth the time and costs. In second place would be more generic CD chapbook slipcases that would hold 10 or so chapbooks and had the CD logo on the spine.

Dan Hocker
05-10-2011, 04:18 PM
If this is specifially for CD chapbooks, I would love to see slipcases with the text of the titles on the slipcase sort of like the slipcases Borderlands Press did for the Little Books. But then again, I don't know if there are enough people who would have all of the CD chapbooks to make that worth the time and costs. In second place would be more generic CD chapbook slipcases that would hold 10 or so chapbooks and had the CD logo on the spine.
I'm pretty positive it would be far too expensive for both us and the collectors to do individual slipcases for the chapbooks. I'm also not sure that'd work out so well with the manufacturing process as they'd have to be incredibly thin. We where thinking a slipcase that would hold several chapbooks similar to the magazine slipcases we have done before.

bsaenz24
05-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I should have been clearer....that's what I meant....Borderlands did slipcases that held 5 of the Little Books series books...I figured the slipcase could hold 8? 10? of them. My dream factor would be the titles of the chapbooks on the side of the slipcase, but not everyone would have them all, so that would not be as popular overall as more generic chapbook slipcases.

Dan Hocker
05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Ahh I see. Yea I'm not sure how popular / feasible that would be. I do however like the idea of a traycase with the 3 ring binder built into the case.

bsaenz24
05-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Ahh I see. Yea I'm not sure how popular / feasible that would be. I do however like the idea of a traycase with the 3 ring binder built into the case.

Oh, I get it....I work at CD, so I'm gonna have them do it the way I WANT!!! Yeah, real nice Dan!!! LOL!!!! ;)

Dan Hocker
05-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Oh, I get it....I work at CD, so I'm gonna have them do it the way I WANT!!! Yeah, real nice Dan!!! LOL!!!! ;)

HA!! I don't have that kind of decision making power :p

Martin
05-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I think a slipcase similar to the magazine slipcases would work well.

PaulB
05-11-2011, 10:59 PM
My chapbooks currently are just sitting rather haphazardly on the shelf so like the idea of a binder.

thelion
05-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I have my chapbooks just lined up between bookends on a bookshelf and it is not the best solution. I really like the binder idea due to its easy expandability, but a slipcase would look nice and work well too.

srboone
05-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I was the one who sent the pictures of my binder. I have them in a 3-ring for 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 in top loading sleeves. (I picked it up at office max for $15.) The only real problem with it is that since the sleeves are designed for only 1 page, the chap books stick out about 1/8 in above the openning; and if you grab the binder wrong, they will all slide out. I only have six chap books, but that fills up my binder completely.

I've noticed online that some companies make slipcases & binders of the right size that are meant for storage of business recordshttp://store.franklinplanner.com/store/category/cat101/US-Storage-Cases-%26-Sleeves

danny
05-13-2011, 12:02 AM
The poll needs a "none of the above" option.

I keep my chapbooks individually in archival comic book bags, generally accompanied by the archival board.

I do the same!!!

Justin Case
05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
I'd probably be more partial to a nice snug (not too snug) slipcase but that binder did look nice.... imagine an official CD binder no less (drool..)

After calson posted a thread about how everyone stores / protects their chapbooks (which is now merged into this thread). It struck up a conversation here about which option is the best. A slipcase or a binder. So we decided to have a poll to see what everyone thinks. Below is an image of a customer's binder in case you weren't sure what we meant by binder.

http://forum.cemeterydance.com/images/chapbind.JPG

Justin Case
05-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I do the same!!!

I actually have been doing this too

thelion
05-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I'd probably be more partial to a nice snug (not too snug) slipcase but that binder did look nice.... imagine an official CD binder no less (drool..)

I agree! An official CD binder (or slipcase) would be awesome!!

Tree705
05-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Binder sounds like a great idea. Right now I have them in archival bags but not individually, I have way to many. They are for the most part sorted by publisher. With the exception of glossy bound chaps, I shelf those along with novellas.

Tree705
05-15-2011, 11:26 AM

I was envisioning a straight forward 3 ring type binder with archival sleeves but the whole thing sized down to chapbook size. Then the CD logo on the upper spine and a clear sleeve under that so you can slip in a list of contents. Make the spin back at least 2 to 3 inches so you can fit several chaps in each. This way it can be used for the vast majority of chapbooks that anyone makes and advertises CD even when it doesn't contain CD chapbooks.

Aceprincess
05-18-2011, 12:06 AM
I currently have a small shelf in one of my bookcases that these fit on nicely but I love the idea of the binder! That pesky dust gets into the book case a bit even with glass doors.

cdfan
05-23-2011, 02:07 AM
I voted for binder though right now I just use the comic bag/board method since I don't own that many. A binder with the CD decal on it would be great.